What do you all think of Penny Dreadful?

What do you all think of Penny Dreadful?

I just watched this scene again:

youtube.com/watch?v=h8nii-DV1EU

And it made me realize what I love so much about it. It's not the great individual stories or how natural the conglomeration of all these different classics is, but that the show has genuinely interesting characters.

I don't remember the last time I cried at any TV-series, movie or book, but that one scene made me cry like a bitch because of Malcolm's dark history.

Any thoughts?

best actual tv show with game of thrones

I watch it solely for Eva Green and the pale zombie (don't remember his name)

I need to watch it already because I like Eva green and the concept seem interesting. Is it decent guys?

Haven't seen the last 2 episodes, but I really enjoyed the second season. Dracula seems meh this season.

It's good but tbqh there's not enough Eva Green nudity and that triggers me

There's nothing else like it on television, I can tell you that much. Parts of it can be pretty disturbing, so it might not be everyone's cup of tea. But the writing, dialogue, and just overall quality of the series is top-tier. Definitely up there with Game of Thrones (I think it's better).

I'm glad to hear it actually disturbing because I like horror so I will probably check it out soon. Thanks man.

This season is boring shit

John St. Claire aka Rory Kinnear.

Soap opera for young girls.

>using Game of Thrones as a reference point for quality writing

Where did we all go so wrong

I watched the first episode of the third season. Realised how full of SJW shit it was and dropped it like the bag of shit it is.

I can't remember a single instance of SJW pandering in that episode. What was so bad about it? They had one tranny in the first season, and the townspeople were literally spitting her in the face. Then she died shortly thereafter. There is no SJW shit in this series user.

My favorite show on TV now that Hannibal's been cancelled.

That said, for me it's the same; the main thing about the show is the characters. I already knew that though -- I only like shows with interesting characters. A show can have a massive, grandiose scale and amazing world but if the characters aren't interesting, I won't stick around.

Are you actually watching the series? Lily's insane crusade is showcasing the dangers of militant misandry. At the time, women were genuinely oppressed and the show even goes out of its way to show women actually attempting to accomplish equal rights and suffrage using means that work.

Lily's work would only damage the cause if it weren't being done in the shadows. This is for her own personal gain and revenge, not to actual further women's rights or power.

Second season actually, but yes.

Are you illiterate?
>I watched the first episode of the third season
It went full
>muh LGBT
>muh African slaves
>muh dead Injuns
>muh Indian Jekyll

The slaughter of the Apache has been part of Ethan's backstory since the beginning. We're just now getting to that.

Malcolm's journey to Africa has also been mentioned since the beginning, as has his planned return. Was slavery mentioned? I don't remember.

What was the LGBT stuff? Don't remember anything like that in S3's opener. Also not sure what your issue is with Jekyll being Indian.

I'm guessing because he's not pure English. At least his ancestry is part of his story. user above also forgot about Mrs.Seward. :^)

>Definitely up there with Game of Thrones

You didn't sold it to me one bit.

Also, is there any werewolves in the show? I wanna watch some bloody and cursed beasts.

Yes. I won't spoil it but lycanthropy plays a major role.

You don't have very well formed opinions. All those things have reasonable causes, and the user below you already told you them.

>Was slavery mentioned? I don't remember.

Holy shit, yes. Malcolm and his son basically kept and/or sold slaves, and raped plenty of them for fun.

Also mentioned with Sembene and I appreciated the fact that his past wasn't clean either. I wanted more backstory on him though.

Okay. Why the Indian Jekyll?

Nice to see that josh hartnet and dalton are still getting work.

I meant in that specific episode. I can't remember.

And Malcolm being an awful human being isn't anything new. Nothing SJW about it. He was a white explorer in Africa who thought he was above the savages there.

Half-Indian. It gives him a reason to be angry as fuck whilst trying to suppress it without making him seem too much like just another Victor, and gives him a reason to be forced into working in the basement of an insane asylum no-one gives a fuck about despite being a brilliant scientist (again, without just making him a clone of Victor).

>Best character seemingly leaving the show

I just want a spinoff of Lyle and Ethan galavanting around the world, solving archaeological mysteries and running into mythical creatures along the way.

Oh I know, I'm not the user you were arguing with. I just wanted you to remind you of the slavery, since that's a pretty big deal. You might be right in that it wasn't mentioned in that one episode though

What, the raping part? Or "just" being a slaver? But yeah, I really wish they'd given him some more attention. Especially in relation to his friendship with Ethan, since it felt a bit forced for the plot-point-we-shall-not-spoil

pretty good. I was an extra in a few episodes and the quality of the production was really high. they put a lot of effort in so it's no surprise it's not trash

I was referring to the marks on Sembene's face, his repentance, etc.

Well yeah, but that's less about the implications of slavery on society and more about its implications on Malcolm as a human being.

Namely, that he's fucking awful.

But yeah, he said that it was all within that one episode and that's why he shut it off but he doesn't seem to understand that these people may use these motivations but they're used to justify monstrous means, distorting any good intent behind them.

I'm still mad. He's such an interesting character and they were just starting to flesh him out. It's clear that they were just prepping for that but still.

Hopes and expectations for tonight's episode?

Would like to see some interaction between Caliban and Jekyll myself.

>A werewolf western

This.

Caliban is literally me irl.

>and that triggers me
hello, reddit