Grunge

Why did this album in particular cause Alt. Rock to break into the mainstream? What grabbed normies so much about this, especially coming out of the 80s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=14r7y6rM6zA
youtube.com/watch?v=3s1sE5jZNJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=5U__k7uJ4_0
youtube.com/watch?v=E5s1j0XfFjc
youtube.com/watch?v=KUWtETbUs4k
youtube.com/watch?v=NYLZsZ_214k
youtube.com/watch?v=OrrE5bCA5lg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Benis

It was full of fucking hit songs

it looks like a roll of quarters

Kurt Cobain.
His lyrics and his delivery. It's just so very real.
At the time this labum was released (1991) people were sick of what 80's represneted. They were sick of all the candy, sugarry, happy, cheerful Van Halen and such.
And Nirvana delivered something authentic. Something real. Something that angry teens could get behind.

"alternative music" has always been mainstream, especially alt-rock. im honestly not sure why its called alternative to begin with

smells like teen spirit was the single most influential song of 90s and though it isn't the best, it's my favorite

HHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHA

nirvana is the least authentic thing since indie folk, kurts entire form of delivery was irony

>people actually believe shit like nirvana is "raw" or "authentic"

80s were gloomy as fuck
it wasnt when it started

Hit songs that were simple and catchy but also felt like something new to get behind.

get a load this assclown

>sick of the 80s candy, sugary, happy etc etc
>the fucking Cure, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, The Smiths

????

Because it's accessible and not too antisocial for mainstream media. And it's actually good.

FUCKING NORMIESSSS GET OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT

He's talking about the top 40 level stuff

None of these was mainstream u fucking idiot, except maybe for the cure and the smiths which were pop bands you know
Yeah but most of this "gloomy stuff" was underground u see :) we're talking about mainstream here my niqqa

Cause they are shit and are for plebs.

kill yourself

The album that killed guitar rock. Ushered in heroin to replace coke as the music scene's drug of choice. Put suicide capital Seattle on the musical map. The last pencil necked gasp of ninety pound tough guy, suburban objectless rage at nothing that they could name.

I fucking hate this record, this band, and everything they stood for. Decades after Johnny in American Graffiti made fun of the fact that every generation thinks rock and roll died with their favorite act (music died with Buddy Holly) ours was finally right.

Fuck Nirvana.

considering kurt was extremely depressed, a drug addict, lived in constant physical pain from his stomach affliction, and then finally killed himself-- i would say theyre pretty authentic

you gonna tell me joy division isnt authentic too?

>Something that angry teens could get behind
>what was oi
>what was thrash
>what was ANYTHING BELOW THE TOP 40

The last pencil necked gasp of ninety pound tough guy, suburban objectless rage at nothing that they could name.

yer forgetting nu metal man

Guitar music was on the way out since east + west coast hip hop were on the rise. Nothing interesting had happened with guitar music for a long time and people got bored of it.

The only notable advancement to guitar music in recent memory was fucking shoegaze and that never really caught on.

despite that it has been getting more popular over the past decade or so
who knows, maybe another garage band will invent a new genre

>>what was ANYTHING BELOW THE TOP 40
Exactly, you dumbass, IT WAS BELOW THE FUCKING TOP 40.

Because it has [spoiler]fun[/spoiler] riffs

Hopefully. I would be interested in hearing something new and refreshing, but atm I think emo has the largest potential of any rock genre at going mainstream but people just pass it over.

Catchy pop melodies and a cool aesthetic.

youtube.com/watch?v=14r7y6rM6zA
Because it was secretly patrician

The songs were good, but it was that aesthetic that people loved. Kurt was an interesting guy and he really made being a loser look cool

The Cure had top 40 hits though.

I think a better question is why it opened the door for a whole bunch of other bands that didn't really have much in common sonically with them. Why did Nirvana open the door for things like Pearl Jam and Rollins Band to be on MTV when none of them really had much in common with each other besides not being 80s?

Pop song structures, Kurt's pretty face, and MTV

i dont say this very often but kill yourself

because is fun
how did somebody dare to make fun music without your dumb artistic pretentions :0

It's a great album.

This album was released in 1991
The 80s were already over
People were finally ready for this

>:0

>coming out of the 80s
learn to read

Doesn't it make you guys sad that there probably won't be a next wave of rock bands that achieve the Top 10 spot on the BillBoard 100?
Now its easier to just produce from a computer which makes EDM and Trap music popular.
The closest thing we will get to mainstream rock is those pop-rock songs that Max Martin or Dr.Luke produce(Ex: I kissed a Girl by Katy Perry, Cool for the Summer by Demi Lovato)

wrong, there will be a country revival

god-tier pop rock + marketing. not really that complicated f a m

What marketing? You mean just a music video?

It's debatable if the stomach pain thing was real. Buzz Osborne says he was faking it for attention, and he has been pretty truthful about all things Kurt, so whatever.

I see what you're saying but you could have just said nirvana killed hair metal

Because they were harder sounding rock bands and every label wanted to find the next Nirvana. It pretty much brought in an era where labels took risks to see if they would catch on. Of course that stopped as soon as Kurt killed himself, but a ton of great bands got attention that they normally would not have.

>Buzz Osborne
Wow what a credible source
>Stop bothering me about Kurt Cobain!!
>Oh but let me tell you all about him, btw the new Melvins album is coming out soon

Is rock music going to have one last explosion in the mainstream before it finally goes, or was the 90's/early 00's really it?

>mainstream
Why does that matter?

>Doesn't it make you guys sad that there probably won't be a next wave of rock bands that achieve the Top 10 spot on the BillBoard 100?
No. Who cares? It will always exist in the underground, and arguably that's where it belongs.

you're telling me Steve Albini's In Utero mix isn't raw as hell?

Move over, objectively greatest grunge band and album coming through

Jesus, Kurt looks terrible here. Did someone JUST this picture or was he that fucked up

accessible songwriting + kurt's looks

Alt rock became mainstream with REM in the 80s

SO WE GO BACK TO THE REMEDY

that's objectively wrong though

Can't find a relevant thread so I'll ask here.

On the local rock station I just heard a song from The Pretty Reckless where they were trying super hard to be like Nirvana. Taylor actually got kind of close to getting a female version of Kurt's voice in this song.

I didn't catch the name of the song. Anyone know? I imagine it has to be pretty new.

I hate this Rolling Stone meme
Hair Metal died in 87, it was zombified after that.
If people were naturally bored with it, why does nirvana get all this credit? People were gravitating to alt rock already, All the big 90's bands would still have been huge without Nirvana.

>mfw people are actually attracted to that raccoon faced no talent grinch of a girl
maybe it's this one? seems to be one of her newer ones and probably the "hardest" Pretty Reckless song I've heard.
youtube.com/watch?v=3s1sE5jZNJ4
>Oh my god, wish I was black. Wish I had had soul and my music attacked. I am so white, don't like the sun
lol

If you start listening at the 2:00 mark then maaaaybe I could say they sound like a slightly more metal Nirvana but I don't really see it user.
Most local radio stations nowadays have a log on their website of which songs they've played over the past 24 hours. If you know the station and approximately what time it played I'm sure you could find it.

Nah, i think his face looks more blured than the kids face so I say somebody JUST fucked his shit up.

honestly that song could totally be a Nirvana song.

It's pretty much as raw as In Utero itself.

>If people were naturally bored with it, why does nirvana get all this credit? People were gravitating to alt rock already, All the big 90's bands would still have been huge without Nirvana
First to break through bud

no, most mainstream rock is trash anyway

Yeah it would seem that is the song... After listening to it at home I could swear it sounded better in my car. Maybe my shitty car system just made it sound more grungey. Maybe they had a different cut they played at the station and just lazily filed it as the normal song? Anyways, at least the Likes on their website show the listeners don't buy this shit.

>Hair Metal died in 87, it was zombified after that.
Glam metal bands continued their run of commercial success in 1987 with Mötley Crüe releasing Girls, Girls, Girls and Def Leppard releasing Hysteria producing a hard rock record of seven hit singles.[17] Another of the greatest successes of the era was Guns N' Roses, originally formed from a fusion of bands L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose, who released the best-selling début of all time, Appetite for Destruction. With a "grittier" and "rawer" sound than most glam metal it produced three top 10 hits, including the number one "Sweet Child O' Mine".[35] Such was the dominance of the style that Californian hardcore punk band T.S.O.L. moved towards a glam metal sound in this period.[36][37] Also in 1987, L.A. band Faster Pussycat released their debut self-titled album eponymous début and Dokken released the successful Back for the Attack.
Two Mötley Crüe songs were on the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100.[38]

But that was basically just Screaming Trees with Layne Staley on vocals. Fantastic album, though.

Dirt was best Grunge album tho

It took underground punk from the 80's, mixed it with big 80s riffs and hooks and polished it all up nicely for normies to grasp

emogaze actually is the new genre to latch on to

youtube.com/watch?v=5U__k7uJ4_0

>depressed
>Still managed to make music, perform, be energetic on live performances

Lol underages like you are the ones that push the lie that nirvana was authentic

(You)

>push the lie that nirvana was authentic
Oh did you know them personally?

>shitty clothes
>long greasy hair
>nihilistic attitude

It really was a blessing for those poor kids that had to dumpster dive at shitty thrift stores. All of a sudden the shit they always wore was in style and they were a part of what is cool.

I've noticed the surge of emogaze in recent years too. Some of it actually sounds pretty grunge-y.

youtube.com/watch?v=E5s1j0XfFjc
youtube.com/watch?v=KUWtETbUs4k
youtube.com/watch?v=NYLZsZ_214k

>>depressed
Implying that isn't just Courtney pushing that idea

Pretty much this. After 1991 just about every mainstream rock band adopted the grunge aesthetic, even if they weren't from Seattle.

youtube.com/watch?v=OrrE5bCA5lg

>Alt rock became mainstream with REM in the 80s

I agree that for that brooding, song-writery alt sound REM (and, for the harder rock sound, Jane's Addiction) laid the groundwork for the mainstream-ification of "alternative rock." But REM's mainstream output didn't really start until they released Green on a major label (Sire/Warner) in 1988. It wasn't until Out Of Time that they really got over into "household name" territory with "Losing My Religion," and by then it was already 1991. They had I think 5 indie albums in the 80s prior to Green with like 2 very modest hits: "Radio Free Europe" which broke them into college radio but which the rest of the world ignored, and "The One I Love" on their last indie release, which was the tipping point that made the big labels go after them.

tl;dr alt rock EXISTED in the 80s but it was not mainstream at all.

People dressed like that in Minneapolis too you dummy

>what is bipolar?

They weren't the first with mainstream success, FNM had a top 10 hit. Janes Addiction, REM, Soundgarden, AIC were all mainstream before Nirvana. Alt rock was leaking on mainstream radio for a while.

The One I Love literally reached the top 10 in the US, I wouldn't call it a modest hit.

>forgetting pixies and talking heads