Are you hyped for the Chess Olympiad in Baku?

Are you hyped for the Chess Olympiad in Baku?

The picture shows the 28 strongest teams of the 180 participating, ranked by average rating. If your country is not in the picture, or if you wish to see the full line-up of your team, consult www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/53 .

For the Women's division, see www1.bakuchessolympiad.com/content/54 .

PED scandal when? Only my country resists the temptation. All your countries are juiced

Chess IS a a sport.

I never understud why the FUCK is there a female devision in chess. I mean they are always saying they are equal and shit if not better than men intelligence wise so wtf is up with that shit shouldn't this be the universal opportunity to prove the world that they're right and dominate the sport ? Are they so fucking insecure they have to seperate themselves in a sport like chess ?

The most feared method of cheating in chess is computer assistance, not doping. There was a French player, Sebastien Feller, who was kicked off the team after the 2010 Olympiad for using computer assistance, and excluded from FIDE tournaments.

Judit Polgar played on the silver-winning Hungarian team at the last Olympiad. The main problem is that the number of chess-playing women is much lower than the number of chess playing men, so the pool of potential world-class players is that much shallower. Judit Polgar, and to a certain degree Hou Yifan, are the only two women who in recent time have been a part of the world elite.

Appriciate the answer bro

Because chess is a pretty male domianted game. Some women don't feel comfortable being the only female competitor. If the genders are a bit more balanced in the future they should get rid of the women only rankings and events though.

I still resent you for beating us 3.5-0.5 at the last Olympiad, in my home town, no less.

There's been a few studies that suggest that it might have a big influence the puberty age. While boys emphatize competition, girls tend to socialization, and that affects the player on the most important learning age of his life. Leontxo Garcia (I guess you know who he is) has a book talking about that.

Am I blind or Armenia is not on that list? Did they refuse to play due to being played on Baku?

I'm quite familiar with Garcia. He knows his stuff.

As for Armenia, that is correct. They withdrew, due to being unable to perform at their highest level in a hostile country. It is quite sad, as they might have been fighting for medals. Aronian is Aronian, and the Armenian team spirit is well known. In particular, Gabriel Sargissian is known to overperform in team events.

you're saying that like it's a bad thing. /tg/ is /best neighbor/ and /chess/ has always been welcome here

>I'm quite familiar with Garcia. He knows his stuff.
Don't be so sure, he has a pretty well known dark side, but has good contacts.

Sad about Armenia then, I was surprised when I didn't see them at the first spots, and really stupid those kind of things on >the current year.
Anyways I remember Aronian talking about not being invited to the first Gashimov memorial and the relation he had with some people and you could expect something like that.

heh

What I meant is that he knows what's going on in the chess world, not necessarily that he knows everything about chess. It's his job, after all.

I think Armenia would have been ranked around Ukraine and France if they had decided to participate. Currently, it is a curious situation where there are three clear favourites and one outsider in the host nation. Russia, USA and China are clearly the three strongest national teams in the world, in no particular order. Russia is the rating favourite, but the team has been known to do what Sup Forums commonly refers to as "choke". Their last Olympiad win was in 2002. USA has three players from the world top ten, but their fourth board and reserve are still relatively inexperienced and unproven at this level. China is the weaker of the three on paper, but are reigning Olympic and World Team Champions, and they have a very solid and flat team with all five players being rated above 2700. Azerbaijan is the wild card, so to speak. They have a beast on top board in Mamedyarov, Radjabov can deliver strong results and has been rated as high as 2793, and Naiditsch needs no introduction. Much like USA, their two lowest rated players are less decorated, but Safarli in particular has a steeply rising form curve. France, Ukraine and Hungary will all have to play without a key player; Bacrot, Ivanchuk and Leko, respectively. I don't think they can take gold this year, and even a medal will be tough against the top four. India is an interesting outsider. Even though Anand isn't going to play, they have Harikrishna on the top board, and the rest of their team is rock solid.

China proved the last olympiad that they have no rival when it comes to team effort, they will sacrifice anything for the team. Russia can't do that (Kramnik playing in board one instead of Karjakin, losing against Paco Vallejo). I want to see USA and their "americans" playing together.

I just hope India doesn't win any medal, I bet on that and I'd be painful if they do.

>/chess/
>always been welcome here
yea right

Armenia is at least China's equal when it comes to team effort, but the real reason that China won last time is solidity. Out of 44 games in total, they lost only one, against Peter Leko. I think that their four draws against Russia ended up being extremely important for the final standings, and placing Wang Yue on board one was a stroke of genius. As for Kramnik, he deserves the top board, even though I'm a little worried about his back problems that led him to withdraw from the Sinquefield Cup. It has a lot to do with team composition, and whereas USA has an almost brand new team (only Nakamura and Shankland played in Tromsǿ), Russia and China have only made one change in the lineup since then.

When you've got So, Caruana and Nakamura and you can't win, there is only one word for that shit : choking. USA should overwhelmingly win.

It's not that simple. They have to consistently pics points against weaker teams, which is not as easy as it sounds, and Russia and China are about as strong as USA. There are several weaker teams that could upset USA, especially the ones that have one elite player on the top board and a handful of solid, lower-rated players on the rest of the team, like France or Norway, for example. It wouldn't be unthinkable to see Carlsen (or Vachier-Lagrave, or Giri, or Harikrishna) beat Caruana on board one and the three other games being drawn, in spite of the other country's rating disadvantage on the lower boards. I think USA will win a medal, but it's hard to say which one.

It doesn't change anything. They are widely superior to any other trio. If they can't win, it just means they played badly.

This. At the very least this shit should be on /asp/

Not quite. The trio Kramnik+Karjakin+Grischuk is their equal in playing strength, of course depending on form.

Nice solo raid, bro. It's going really well.

>muh IOC