ITT: Artists who never released a cover song

The bigger the discography, the better

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-224837274/06-im-a-king-bee
youtube.com/watch?v=XWLvm11MAaM
straightdope.com/columns/read/290/must-you-get-permission-to-record-someone-elses-song
youtube.com/watch?v=MpHtwa8YGBU
youtube.com/watch?v=L-Jt1jSimjs
youtube.com/watch?v=DhbS3BFtXDk
youtube.com/watch?v=OJBlJGXSaVk
youtube.com/watch?v=LTpHOgcorSw
youtube.com/watch?v=4s-nvYa3dVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Oh0iLnpLz9M
youtube.com/watch?v=OZOrIHeEN3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The weirdest part about this is that he said that people who only play their own songs are boring

Well he was still not wrong then.

SYD BTFO
Y
D

B
T
F
O

>weird

insane

What's wrong with cover songs? And if Syd lived longer i'm sure he would have.

Didn't Pink Floyd cover blues standards in their early days?

do people assume Barrett just died after he left Pink Floyd
he lived long enough to have released cover material

I was gonna say Pixies but "Head On" is a Jesus and Mary Chain cover. ("Winterlong" and "In Heaven" also, but those were b-sides only)

but solo syd never released a cover song

did he ever play his pink floyd stuff
technically that would be a cover since person =/= band

it's not a cover if he wrote it

its a cover if he didn't play all of it in the original

I'm pretty sure the Avalanches have never covered anything.

what?

soundcloud.com/user-224837274/06-im-a-king-bee

youtube.com/watch?v=XWLvm11MAaM

Terrapin borrows a John Fahey chord progression. It's not a cover so I'm not proving you wrong but I figured that was worth sharing.

Does Gary Numan count

You don't need to release everything you play

Technically, Demolition Man was done by Grace Jones first. However, Sting wrote the song for her, was disappointed, and the version the recorded was nothing like hers.

Prince never released a cover and hated people who covered his songs. (You had to go through him to cover him, which was very rarely accepted, only two person I know are Alicia Keys and Morgan James)

Cyndi Lauper covered "When You Were Mine" and Sinead O'Connor scored a massive international hit with her cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U," which Prince hated.

So, no, you didn't have to go through Prince. Like any other cover, a percentage of sales goes to the writer via the label (who presumably takes a cut) and that's it. If you have approval, you can negotiate a better percentage but anyone can record anybody's song.

The only right a songwriter has is the right to be the first to record it (or to decide who does.) Dylan did this with "Tambourine Man" when his label wanted to put out his live version first but he didn't like the recording. He forced his label to shelve it until he did the studio version that he liked.

straightdope.com/columns/read/290/must-you-get-permission-to-record-someone-elses-song

he did a cover of radioheads creep a long time ago and got butthurt and tried to delete it from the internet

Prince covered "What If"

Funny fucking song

Prince covering the Stones
youtube.com/watch?v=MpHtwa8YGBU

The Fall

what song?
and there's also "golden hair" which is syd's music written to someone else's poem. thats the closest thing

Has Tangerine Dream ever done a cover?

There's a lot of people who covered Prince. He just hated it, you misinterpret what I'm saying tho' I did not say it was obligatory, but most people that asked to cover him went throught much BS before doing it.

Singers he accepted (from my knowledge) :
youtube.com/watch?v=L-Jt1jSimjs
youtube.com/watch?v=DhbS3BFtXDk
youtube.com/watch?v=OJBlJGXSaVk

Yeah he covered people, I did say he didn't. I said he never released a cover ;)
He covered the foo fighters despite bad mouthing them for covering his own song.
youtube.com/watch?v=LTpHOgcorSw
He hated it.

But then he gives you this. youtube.com/watch?v=4s-nvYa3dVQ

or this
youtube.com/watch?v=Oh0iLnpLz9M

Dude was too egocentered, but I can see why he dislikes when people cover him, they rarely put the same movement he's in.
So this tribute is hated by Prince's ghost :
youtube.com/watch?v=OZOrIHeEN3s

Prince covered Joni Mitchell's A Case of You which made it onto his album One Nite Alone.

He also did a cover of that song Crimson and Clover, which was on the album Lotus Flower.

There's others too. He has released covers. He even released a cover of Betcha by Golly Wow by The Stylistics as a single and included it on an album.

TLC did I Was Your Girlfriend

Guess I'm learning things. Cheers. Will listen to it later.

>they rarely put the same movement he's in.

Johnny Cash covered just about everyone sat down with an acoustic guitar and I bet his cover choice arts were all honoured.

Prince just sounds like an asshole 2bh.

>insane

Digits confirm

Talking to A Stranger

well i'm a king bee~~

All the best albums are 100% original songs, prove me wrong (you can't)

Station To Station

and there's like 4 of them

nope

I was gonna say Depeche Mode but I forgot about Route 66

Porcupine Tree

Depends on if you count bands that play covers live but don't produce a studio version; for example Pearl Jam have played Neil Young's "Fuckin' Up" at almost every concert for decades, but they've never put it on an album.

RHCP have also never included covers on their albums (that I'm aware of) but have done many Hendrix/P-Funk/punk covers live.

Higher Ground

AC/DC did covers of 50s rock-and-roll and some blues live in the early days, their albums have no covers that I'm aware of. They quit playing covers live after Bon Scott died.

"The record label were always asking us to do covers. We recorded lots of them, but most we ended up not using because we didn't like how it came out or we didn't think the song 'fit' us. Some of them, like the cover of that old Spooky Tooth song 'Better By You, Better Than Me' or 'The Green Manalishi' came out really good."

He also didn't like the Chuck Berry cover on Ram It Down and said it was pretty ridiculous.

Death Grips?

pet sounds