Wiped the floor with these though
youtube.com/watch?v=CGrR-7_OBpA
youtube.com/watch?v=42D6bUta1gs
youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA

youtube.com/watch?v=Cyzb-diZ3Ds

op is right

wrong

WHAT AM I BECOME

That version of "God's Gonna Cut You Down" is so fucking great.

American IV: The Man Comes Around [American, 2002]

The selection here is at once so obvious and so inappropriate it feels redemptive--as if that old softy Rick Rubin gently advised his fast-failing charge that if there was ever a song he wanted to sing he'd better not put it off till next time, 'cause there probably wasn't gonna be one. In fact this is Cash's second "Danny Boy," just his first croaky one (at the Kettle of Fish in heaven, Dave Van Ronk is mad he didn't do one first). He's recorded the evil-minded campfire chestnut "Sam Hall" before too. But Cash kills "In My Life" as hard as he kills Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails, and though upon reflection Ewan MacColl wrote "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," you'd have thought Roberta Flack defolkified it forever until Cash got his heart on it. Only the pomposities of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Desperado" resist his advances. And first and best comes the newly written title tune, a look at death as cold as "Under Ben Bulben." All that could top it would be American V: Send in the Clowns. A-

>Desperado
I thought he did it justice.

Rubin's production was stellar across the board really.

Apparently Matt Sweeney is like 99% responsible. He put it in a minor key and arranged it as a blues stomper. It has literally nothing in common with the gospel song outside of lyrics.

American IV was the last great album Rubin ever did. It's all been downhill from there.

upvoted

I think NIN'S/Trent's version is much more complex musically and thematically thanks to its ties with the concept of the album and has deeper meaning thanks to that. It is also much more original and emotionally moving. If it wasn't for the video clip the cover wouldn't be as moving.

America V had the best songs though,

Anyone who says this CLEARLY has not seen any melodic ukulele covers of rap songs by white guys

I didn't really like the American Recordings so I never got that much into it, big Johnny Cash fan though

I know most people would say the best cover Cash ever did was Ring of Fire, but I'd probably pick The Legend of John Henry's Hammer (the Folsom Prison version, not the 1963 studio one)...Transfusion/Cocaine Blues is great as well

All Along the Watchtower is the only Dylan cover better than the original

Whats up with Sup Forums caring about NIN all of a sudden?

"Hurt" is good and a couple other songs are solid but no, this album is not good

>the only Dylan cover better than the original

youtube.com/watch?v=C4R7-Chahg8

Trent Reznor died last week

Johnny Cash >>> Leona Lewis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> emofag 9 inch FAILS

Well of course it's better. It's Johnny fucking Cash.

If You Could Read My Mind is my favourite. You can hear his voice cracks. Beautiful song/cover, beautifully produced.

-ver.

>what is Yeezus
>what is De-Loused in the Comatorium

well, no. His cover of In My Life is pretty horrendous and the rest of American IV is spotty. It may have been "Johnny fucking Cash" but it was also Cash almost 40 years past his prime. Artists don't get a pass based on their reputation, music should be judged objectively.

I'll give you De-Loused but not Yeezus

Holy shit, I honestly didn't know his God's Gonna Cut You Down was a cover, I seriously thought that was the original version.

Why did this song became a Sup Forums meme

It was in the Prototype 2 trailer so it got exposure to people who were 4 when the cover itself came out. Also, this stupid timeless video youtube.com/watch?v=e9lBf3N63a4

THIS

Devo did Satisfaction way better than the Stones did.

>tfw daydreaming of being a leader of a big dev studio and making a trailer with the track avalanche in the background but the Sup Forumsmers would just meme it up because that's what the whole board consists

Except it's vastly inferior, completely ruins the feel of the song and turns it into just another wankfest when the whole appeal of that Dylan album in general was how minimalist it was

Thoughts on my poor cover?

vocaroo.com/i/s09AXmK62rkO