What do you think of putting buildings on top of roads, Sup Forums...

What do you think of putting buildings on top of roads, Sup Forums? Should it be done more often to save space in urban areas?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanka_tunnel_complex
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Imagine if a plane hit it

i think that americants ARENT white

quote me if you agree

I think someplaces it just needs to be done because there's no space to put certain roads in a city and buidlings shouldn't be destroyed to fit a new road or traffic needs to be diverted and what not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanka_tunnel_complex

yes. aesthetic.

Why do you want to save space when you have that much free space available?

americans love their safe space

Why is japan so futuristic?

I would expect it to be too much of an effort structurally, having to redistribute all that weight into a few pillars on road level.

Building roofs over urban highways and putting parks on them on the other hand seems like a really smart idea to me. Here's a mockup of a park Tel Aviv is planning to build on top of a highway. You gain green space and dam up noise.

Why do Americans put glass dildos in all of their cities when there are giant parking lots right next to them and single story buildings half a mile down the road?

American city planning generally doesn't make sense and doesn't resemble supply and demand.

Also every city is ruined by giant highway constructs, they really got cucked by the auto lobby

yes we have this in Osaka.

If you want to save space in urban areas you need to do mixed zoning and tax road use hard because car parks are a huge waste of space.

Above ground: Residential
Ground level: Bus terminal
Underground: Shopping center and subway

Combine multiple facilities together: library, swimming pool, running track, gym in one building eg.

>shopping center in basement
Mysterious Asian spirit.

Underground apartments are common in China. Underground units are cheaper than above-ground ones in apartment buildings.

Some units have no doors, either - access is by ladder. These are usually sub-divided rooms with low ceilings.

It's good usage of space but it's quite a bit more expensive than normal construction. Those highways essentially tear apart neighborhoods too and these blocks connect them again

Makes sense to me. Shopping centers tend to be big ugly blocks and there are hardly any windows inside them anyway. So you might as well put those hellholes under the ground and build something nicer on top of them

this. 'parking' obsoletes any murican statement wrt space saving.

youre braindead if you think this is saving space.

in fact, it seems that muricans only build either 1 floor or 100, nothing in between

it makes a lot of sense. theres no sunlight in malls anyway, i never saw the point of that apart from saving money. we got money so lets build things in a way thats nice.

Because Japanese people overwhelming care about other people & the greater good. Look at Japanese CEOs. They work just as hard as their employees and eat out of the same cafeteria. They are humble, and even though they do hold some backwards views that cause them problems, they are still going forwards. Japan is really the only country that can say that conservatives have been in power for 60 years, and they've actually managed to get anything done. It's all about the core Japanese belief of working together.

They have buildings above the road in my city, pic rel
Good way to save space and it's kinda cool to drive under

>Those highways essentially tear apart neighborhoods too and these blocks connect them again
True, building over motorways makes the area feel more integrated

An example from here

Yeah but if they're on ground level you can turn them into a pedestrian boulevard with greenery. Look at all these people being outside because of the nice pedestrian zone. Far better to move the parking into the basement instead.

no because youre generally out of space for roads, not for buildings

if theres a lack for living space the market takes care f that, prices of land go up and a low density area will get demolished for high density projects

Top view

I don't think we're thinking of the same kinds of shopping malls. The street in your picture looks lovely but our malls are like which just kill any street life because everything is inside that monstrosity

>and a low density area will get demolished for high density projects
RREEEEEEE LEAVE MY HISTORIC BUILDINGS ALONE

Yeah but those giant malls are unnecessary to begin with. Do we need a huge mall with three office supply shops and five jewelry shops and six mobile phone shops and eight shoes shops and fifteen clothing shops? For the immense number of stores they provide, malls are notoriously underpopulated anyway. There are almost more shops than people in this photo. Now compare that to my pedestrian zone. Natural light and plants and managable dimensions attract people. Giant blocks stuffed full of shops and nothing else don't.

that doesnt apply for USA, noone would be able to put buildings on top of streets in a historic district either

I'd love it if they built cities like that over here but for whatever reason they're throwing malls everywhere. Right on top of train stations and then they even build hosing units on top of the mall. It feels like a giant conspiracy more than anything, I think one company owns all the malls too. So somebody is working with them to zone the areas in this way, the malls get the best spots and all the stores in the area end up inside the mall. I don't know how these centers can still exist today, people just buy everything online anyway. I guess it's because of women, whenever I walk inside one of those places it's nothing but women's clothing stores

Yes, it looks cool & futuristic and also saves space. And driving in tunnels is fun :3

Parks over roads are also a nice touch

Here's an example of what they're doing for the opening of a subway station in this district. The pedestrian level is just a giant wall of nothing, while the apartments are on the roof of the mall. Just end us

The region's big city's train station actually has a mall in it which is pretty neat but I think it was sorta predestined due to its architecture and vast empty space in the front building, they only dug out one more floor. I think it's actually the world's largest train station by floor area.

I think it's gay,
some hole is for output but sick people want to input it.
roads under buildings are the same

Nah, I know everyone hates them but the hypermarket + shopping mall concept is actually practical and serves many peoples' needs. Especially places like Sello that are directly connected to train lines _and_ sell everything you need in life, in one place, with good selection.

I haven't yet found similar hypermarket-complexes here, just endless rows of little suburbian shops. If they're independent, they tend to sell random low-quality shit. Like a hardware store where all the tools are cheapo no-name chink brands, or this weird ass corner store nearby that sells canned foods, carpets and jewelry. WTF? The ones that are part of a big corporate chain (like DM) just focus on one type of product, and it's hard to reach them because they're spread out all over the damn place.

>let's put grass on the roof of the buildings because it's the current year and we're so sustainable
>what shall we do with the walkway?
JUST

>ruins city center vista with huge block
>makes people drive into the city with cars so they can get their enormous mall shopping home
>kills high quality independent businesses with lower prices because chains can trade in bulk
>practical
And it's not the independent shop's fault that your remaining local independent shops are all run by useless mudshits selling random low quality scrap as if they were home in their third world shithole.

I think one reason is that it's supposed to help bind rainwater. That just seems like a very complicated way of doing it when people have had it solved for hundreds of years. I don't understand why nobody builds sloped rooftops anymore. All new buildings seem to have flat roofs and the water ends up piling in some corner, then in a couple years the whole thing is moldy because of moisture

BUT ANGLED ROOFS ARE UNMODERN AND UNCOOL

Ok, where in Germany (NRW) can I find these evil big malls that killed your high quality independent shops? Honest question.

I get the romantic idea about the local shopkeep who's independent, proud of his business, knows his customers and so on. It's cute. But DESU, even if they existed, I wouldn't want to travel between 20 little shops just to get my basic needs covered. Ain't nobody got time for that, especially without a car.

Conversely, if you build it over / next to public transit in the city, not everyone needs to drive there. If they're built around ring roads somewhere in suburbia, the traffic isn't really a problem.

Streets in Finland are covered in ice, snow, slush, frozen dogshit and gravel that has to be spread over the ice to keep people from slipping, 9 months out of 12. That type of walkway is the only practical option sadly.

fucking wordfilter, perkele

>But DESU, even if they existed, I wouldn't want to travel between 20 little shops just to get my basic needs covered.
Because you're a lazy shitcunt and malls were made for lazy shitcunts like you. Also 20 shops are grossly exaggerated. How much more than a grocery store and butcher do you even need on a daily basis? Do you go for clothes and electronics every single weekend?

houston has minimum parking requirements, so you see lots of parking lots and garages everywhere. even tall buildings get knocked down to become parking lots. the oil/car industry has a death grip on the city.

No, the real question is why would you run busy roads across city centers?

I don't, but when I do, why would it have to be difficult? On any given weekend there's ample supply of customers who do, so malls make economical sense.

>Lazy
Why would it be in my merit to waste time on traveling? It's more _efficient_ if you need only need 1/2 h of traveling to accomplish a given task, instead of 3h. You're German, you're supposed to value performance.

>grocery store and butcher

Butchers don't even exist here, apart from Muslims who sell halal meat. You get your meat from the grocery store. I mean they have these small counters in the store where you can get unpacked meat but it's the same thing

Nerds. Also I forgot bakeries. Always support your local butchers and bakers.

Urbanistically pleasant.

thanks today also fulfils my skylines folder

I'm seeing only 4 (FOUR) months out of 12 with temperatures that allow for snow and ice in the relevant part of Finland.
Patches of grass help drain the water and make the street look less depressing. When the water is drained properly and you have a coarse gravel or other open-ish path, it gets slippery far less often. And when you do need to add gravel, it's cleaned up nicely by the path and grass afterwards.

flat roofs are probably a lot easier to build and you don't have to worry about the unused space beneath the roof

every supermarket has a meat counter you neet rat.

you'd know this if you ever stepped out of your apartment.

american roofs look disgusting, ever tried to google map a city like LA just disgusting and sprawled.

Stacked urban mega towers when?

That's what I said you donut, but it's not the same thing as a corner shop butcher who only sells meat

>Play sim city 4
>Just cover the whole map with mixed zoning and call it a day

>American roofs
Basically glorified slabs of road. We put asphalt rollers on the roofs of our garden sheds. The American cheapness with material is astonishing. They also pour their entire driveways and sidewalks in concrete, and their walls consist of little more than wood beams, plywood and insulation. It's literally how we build our garden sheds.

This, land is too expensive here.

>Cities Skylines
>mixed zoning impossible unless you go full autism and color the little squares one by one

DELET THIS