/prod/

Had to start a thread myself edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

>Also: Check out this short noise rock track I made guise clyp.it/bd1u2tmh

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cGm1-rM0qQs
youtube.com/watch?v=Xkm8mGlfm9w
youtube.com/watch?v=RNxhfTKIrew
clyp.it/voj5azc5
youtube.com/watch?v=npE80ruDlcA
clyp.it/uisveslg
clyp.it/h1hbajek
clyp.it/3rvpnstl
clyp.it/5wau10wz
clyp.it/4t34siti
clyp.it/xufrujyw
clyp.it/lvd0yzb0
clyp.it/bd1u2tmh
clyp.it/41eh2ck3
henrysmith.bandcamp.com/track/candyland1
clyp.it/4mctihso
clyp.it/jn2rw12a
clyp.it/4gojhwaz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its 'cause I posted a vst bonanza yesterday

youtube.com/watch?v=cGm1-rM0qQs

piano14

one of my best beats of all time

trash

youtube.com/watch?v=Xkm8mGlfm9w

Where can I find or how can I make drums like these? I have a lot of samples, but I can't achieve this thicc and loud sound in my kicks.tried compressing and EQing key parts, still nothing.

>open fl studios
>save project thats 1 minute long with 3 instruments
>open it up later
>my computer starts screaming in agony
>it freezes for about 2 minutes
>finally it loads my project
>hit play
>music sounds like shit
>close out
>reload
>file has been corrupted
>its now 4 GB bigger than it was when I saved it
pic related. it was originally 11 MB

>>open fl studios
This is where you went wrong

keep in mind that you hear this in a full mix. A kick on it's own is something different.

Lads, saw this video the other day and I think it's a really damn good tip.
It's for Reason, but the advice works for any DAW.
youtube.com/watch?v=RNxhfTKIrew

shut the fuck up

>haven't been producing for a week or two
>because I focused on learning some harmony
>can't make anything sound non-shit
>can't recreate a single sound

FML, sound design is harder than all of music theory combined. I never progressed so slow in anything else in my life.

>i dont know how to use FL studios so anyone who uses it is a retard

I know how to use FL, which is why I have an opinion on it.
I think it's fruity.

clyp.it/voj5azc5

thoughts on the mix? is the bass audible enough? be honest plz

How the hell do people use Reason without any vsts ?

What software do I use to make a mix on PC?

>without listening to the song, grab the acapella and create a remix around it so it sounds totally different from the original but still good

>jazz
>prog
>live
clyp.it/of1532w3

tfw two intielligent for /prod/

The built in VSTs are all you need.
I think the newest version you can use VST stuff via rewire now though.

I've been told I did great with this one.
youtube.com/watch?v=npE80ruDlcA

mix is a bit wide IMO and the bass would blend better with some overtones, it's pretty much sub only, feels like a big hole in the upper bass register

clyp.it/uisveslg

Kill me.

cheesy as hell but good info thanks

alright, thanks. i'll try something wit the bass then

P-pls check out my clyp in OP guise

All the tips and tricks videos for that channel are great.

>P-pls check out my clyp in OP guise
feedback/10

Thx dawg

Are these threads solely for music with samples/synthesisers or can there be discussions about instrument tone as well?

This thread is about all of "music creation" combined. You can ask question about theory if you want, you can post a clyp with a chamber music or EDM, doesn't matter.

talk about anything related to making music really

Ah right, I'll keep that in mind the next time I need feedback on something.

For real now, though - is there any point in practicing recreation of specific sounds and whole songs so they sound exactly the same?

I managed to do this in an hour and a half, don't know how could I improve it (first part is mine, second part is from the song I was recreating).

clyp.it/h1hbajek

I know the kick is not bassy enough and that I didn't nail the synths, and also haven't mastered it at all, since I don't really know how to do that. But can this be decent on its own? What should I do?

not bad at all for 20syl being legit as fuck sound design and production
but yeah there's lot's of things that aren't nearly as refined as in the original
having all the elements even in a rough form in front of you is neat as fuck, though
doing that a couple of times really helps figuring out what makes different songs work and really helped me with writing and arranging, as you stumble upon single sounds and elements while writing stuff envisioning other things that complement them is much easier because you know what to listen for
picking apart shit is always good ear training

I just listen to it once so that I won't accidentally make the same song.

What happened with Sup Forums's RPM Challenge album?

is noise rock and actual thing people listen to?

it scared me initially i thought my headphones were broken or something
RATE

this shit is dirty as fuck

clyp.it/3rvpnstl

Is this good to go?
clyp.it/5wau10wz

clyp.it/4t34siti

Just started using ableton a couple of days ago, and here is the result. I personally can't decide if it's any good or not, but I'd like to hear some constructive criticism (either involving the production or the song itself).

the loop is decent but there needs to be some change ups and shifts in energy for it to actually feel like a song rather than a long ass fucking loop

im planning to rap/sing/whatever over this btw, you guys think it would work?

True, if nothing else, at least it's a good ear training, but yeah, I guess it teaches you arrangement more than anything else.

I just don't know what should I be doing with this for example. Should I try to get everything to sound exactly the same or should I create just something similar, but with an equal quality of a production.

Slightly louder version

clyp.it/xufrujyw

nah m8
try not completely mono

>Should I try to get everything to sound exactly the same or should I create just something similar, but with an equal quality of a production.

Why not do both? There are parts of ear training that we apply to whole mixes - a sort of "defocusing" we can use to identify anything that sticks out too far in our mix, but what you need when recreating sounds *within* a mix is an ability to tune out all other sounds except the one you're concentrating on.

We already do that when we're trying to work out synth lines, bass lines etc but it's fatiguing and it gets more fatiguing when we try to concentrate on the tone of a sound so we can recreate it but it's why it's called ear training - it's training and most training is hard when we first start, then it gets easier and we push ourselves to improve and it gets harder again and it's a constant upward climb.

For instance, the kick in the track you're well on the way to recreating is a short gated 909 sample and that's why your 808 kick sound alone doesn't quite fit - once you focus on that single sound (and familiarise yourself with the sounds of other machines) it gets easier to work. It's just training.

Woops.

How about now?
clyp.it/lvd0yzb0

take a screenshot with your kicks or kick being analyzed by a spectrum analyzer, I'll tell you if they're thicc enough.

IMO, sound design will get you far, but you'll reach a point where you maybe won't progress further thanhaving a bunch of cool sounding ambient tracks, I think it'd be more productive for the common non natural musician to learn about melody and harmony while using presets. but take my advice with a grain of salt (I'm sure you are) and do what you want.

clyp.it/bd1u2tmh
*claps slowly*
*steps out from the shadows*
not bad kid, not bad at all

haha, no. It's an ok track I guess, hey if those are vocals in their, I'd say bring them up in the mix, otherwise, it's about a 5/10 song, has potential to be 6/10

What is a good midi keyboard under $100? 37 keys preferes

Considering buying a MicroBrute. Anyone here use one? How do you like it?

I tried: clyp.it/41eh2ck3

Got bored the other day and made a beat out of comfy in nautica by panda bear, and would appreciate any tips on how to improve my mixing or really any constructive criticism

henrysmith.bandcamp.com/track/candyland1

Anyone?

Sounds bretty good, m8.

I plan on sharing my songs for the first time.

Can I have some feedback?

clyp.it/4mctihso

clyp.it/jn2rw12a

clyp.it/4gojhwaz

sounds like fun. anyone wanna throw me some good songs to remix? i wanna try something that isnt a remix