ITT: Underappreciated Movies

No memes please.

I'd like to watch movies that user finds to be great, but somehow slipped through the cracks or aren't brought up very often.

I'll start

Ant-Man

Terje Vigen

Are you only saying that because The Incredible Shrinking Man reminded you of that movie?

City of God (Cidade de Deus).

Haxan

bump

op said no memes

Yes, brilliant, very underappreciated movie.

fuck i loved that movie
bought it on DVD but haven't watched it yet
too many of my friends are plebs

Easily my favorite Huston. I really liked Wise Blood too.

>I really liked Wise Blood too.

good call
here's a really dark comedy from Danishland

Thanks mate. Appreciate the rec

These are both widely praised and often used as examples in various film school lectures.

OP's post read, to me, as him wanting recs that aren't the classic Sup Forums recs. I believe the conversation fits that criterion. I realize it won the Palme d'or (as someone pointed out when i mentioned it in a similar thread recently) but it is still underrated on this board

Yes, they're appreciated by critics. Not by the common moviegoer. Therefore they're underappreciated by virtue of only being appreciated those professionals who see themselves as a tastemakers as opposed to a wide audience.

It would just be nice if these threads contained actual underappreciated movies and not films that often appear on 'greatest of all-time' lists. It takes zero effort.

How about The Sword of Doom

Still Ridley's best

Is it about that cursed blade that cut all the leaves in the river while the master blade only cut the ones it needed to? It was the apprentice's blade that was evil and actually saught to cut?

I read about it in a rag called 47th samurai about a white vietnam vet taking on yakuza.

veronique > red >>> blue >>>>>>>>>>> white

THIS.

The Decalogue > Blue > Veronique > White > Red

i think you need to watch them all again, especially red

the order of the other 4 i can understand, but putting white over red is literally JUST tier

Rope by Hitchcock