I was once talking to my mom about music, asking what genres she liked when she was in high school, and besides jazz...

I was once talking to my mom about music, asking what genres she liked when she was in high school, and besides jazz, she said that people didn't really think of music in terms of genres. It's something people began doing later.

I found myself thinking about categorization more when trying to explain to a friend what kind of music Death Grips makes. The easy answer was rap, but it didn't feel right. Eventually I just listed out a number of genres, saying that they change things up from track to track on a whim, some albums harder than others.

Thinking about it now, Death Grips defies easy categorization because they also defy the common modern conception of musical acts needing to have a category. They are one of the only groups I can think of that seemingly do what they want. Perhaps a great many artists feel just as free yet still remain within their boxes, but I'd have no way of knowing.

I guess Death Grips has changed how I perceive the music world in general. Where genres and categories were normal and unquestioned most of my life, I now see the industry as a bunch of boxes and am even more impressed by those who can hop from one style to the next.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6LguUL-e8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

REPLYING TO A THREAD THAT I DID NOT READ

YUH

>Thinking about it now, Death Grips defies easy categorization
nu-metal

Try to see things beyond your perception apparatus.

You're the only person trying to force this meme and no one finds it funny.

it's not funny when it's true

>Death Grips defies easy categorization

well you can always define them as shit

>They are one of the only groups I can think of that seemingly do what they want.

you are either very young or dont listen to muhc music, or both if death grips is the only group you can think of that does this

Underage trying to sound like you have any experience, lol.

Sure is insecure in here.

Probably going to be the only original or mildly well-thought OP to get posted on Sup Forums today.

except that he started it with "I was once talking to my mom about music", which on Sup Forums is generally unwise

You don't have to be underage in order to have discussions with your parents desu

>you are either very young or dont listen to muhc music, or both if death grips is the only group you can think of that does this

He's absolutely correct, though. I don't think DG are bad but it's so fucking naive to think of DG as some sort of innovators.

they're genuinely nu metal though

You almost had me interested until it turned out that you just wanted to talk about your shitty band.

I know this but try telling it to autists that are barreling down on you with intent to sodomize. Its generally better to leave out or substitute ur mom being in your story but op has been fortunate so far it seems

checked those trips

you're wrong though, it's just faggots like you that try to pigeon-hole everything into a genre.

refusing the factual categorization of genres is a proof of ignorance, user

You can very easily define their genre.
Check their fanbase.

I used to like Death Grips but the fanbase has ruined it for me. I can't listen to any of their music unironically anymore.

Yeezus>>>anything by shit grips

>factual categorization
>opinions on Sup Forums
"no"

Yeah it´s not Nu-Metal, it´s OverratedShitCore

>experience
nigga all you have to do is look shit up

you're gonna act like dg is the only unconventional act there is

experimental industrial numetal based hip hop

industrial

>Not liking something because people you don't like also enjoy it
How does it feel being a weak-willed faggot?

I think DG sit pretty squarely into the sub-category of industrial hip-hop. Maybe it's just that you're not familiar with other examples of it?

Shame to see how many non-replies your thread got. It would be attempted to add to the discussion by actually naming these other more obscure artists they're so keen to tell you that they know about

Death Grips is experimental industrial hip hop with elements of plunderphonics, Bottomless Pit is the only album that can count as being nu-metal

mixing up genres is one of the basic characteristics of postmodern art

>. They are one of the only groups I can think of that seemingly do what they want.
not true btw and james has been switching genres longer than dgs career
listen to more music kid

also liturgy already talked about this in an interview youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6LguUL-e8

Genres are just selling points and tags for rym users to getanal about. Zach hill and omar rodriguez lopez are both great at defying genre expectations and have massive discographies which arent mostly filler.

I remember telling a friend that Death grips are experimental rap, is that fine?

yes. hard rockish rap or rap esque hard rock

>Listens to DG
>Calls others underage

i feel like it's more accurate to say techno + shouting
their beats don't really reflect hip hop too much anymore

they don't reflect techno either mate

If you had to pick two between the black Death Classic shirt, white Death Classic, white Exmilitary,and black Exmilitary shirt, what would you get

a noose desu

They are very easy to categorize.

They suck. really, really bad.

more like of not just making stupid derivative bullshit. classifying things like that at all is just stupid other than to help folks find similar things and make everything digestible.

people tend to not grasp the gravity of the fact that genres are entirely arbitrary and made up. and it seems like it should be obvious. even more obvious than how bullshit pretty much all of music theory is. stuff made up after the music to try to make it digestible and easier to grasp.

with genre you can switch your tracks genre in about 5 minutes. a total switch. how do people not realize how stupid it is for genres to be a big thing when a genre is about 5 minutes worth of work on a track?

death grips is some guys wanking around in a studio. theres yer bloody genre

I think that's because making genres too specific doesn't actually help. What it is that different types of music ultimately end up achieving is more important than what particular sound they used.

I characterize Death Grips as music that gives me personally pleasure through visceral intensity. That particular category of music for me includes everything from hip hop to industrial to metal to punk to even the crazier breaks style electronic music.

It makes sense that in her day, jazz was more of a separate genre classification, as most jazz for me personally gives me pleasure from its improvisational style. That style of music can also include for me jazz rock, some indian classical music, etc.

There are many more examples.

The ends matter more to me than the means, if that makes any sense.

>Experimental Hip-Hop

Done

This