/classical/

"Using music as a drug is stupid" Stockhausen

Post music that alters your mood and gives you pleasure much like a drug.

Is there something about classical that makes it more relistenable than popular music?

Is the immediate pleasure of popular music more valuable?

Do you listen to both and consider classical superior?

Is fast food better than gourmet?

Are they equally good?

Discuss.

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
youtube.com/watch?v=h84iZjKeq9w
youtube.com/watch?v=Gz4UvTJLrgg
youtube.com/watch?v=Q6GJgOXBi2U
youtube.com/watch?v=cKfNp5LJDRA
youtube.com/watch?v=pBHOCulz9u4&index=1&list=PLoX49ywxsvyYXuKcm6Fi5mDyiWUWEIc1d
youtube.com/watch?v=IP7o3Q1lfII
strawpoll.me/12269595
youtu.be/hQVtHOc8kEk
youtube.com/watch?v=z3OZLb2xyCU
youtube.com/watch?v=OXoappntul0
youtube.com/watch?v=DRRclttgS1g
youtube.com/watch?v=D4eOU39-LWA
www94.zippyshare.com/v/l2f55RKh/file.html
www111.zippyshare.com/v/i4HCMAv5/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ye-FvKCZp3s
youtube.com/watch?v=7udClrQtmws
youtube.com/watch?v=8vwuSNQT2Rg
youtube.com/watch?v=fq9P1cKmzD8
youtube.com/watch?v=lfWBjxzXPsw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

I don't understand this meme.

>Drug music
youtube.com/watch?v=h84iZjKeq9w

How does Biggs compare to Leonhardt?

The joke is that a popular piece of music written by a composer named Christian Petzold was falsely attributed to the famous Johann Sebastian Bach for a very long time, so we facetiously suggest that Bach deliberately plagiarized Petzold, and that all of Bach's works are in fact attributable to him. Thus, we must keep everyone aware of Petzold, lest his genius fade into obscurity.

music, like a drug, is nothing more than entertainment commodity

both are dead

youtube.com/watch?v=Gz4UvTJLrgg

why is Sup Forums so cancerous nowadays, feels like reddit or someshit

Sup Forums has always been reddit, even before reddit existed.

classical music discussion is better on reddit

It's also really slow and boring and doesn't have enough memes.

music and food cant be compared, they have way different attributes like fresh ingredients, cooking techniques, recipes. With music youre not following certain recipes really. Food people make things already made like burgers or pasta, so in music world that would be plagiarizing. And it could also change, are certain types of food better (burger

A composition is a recipe, an interpretation/performance is someone actually cooking the food. The instruments are your ingredients.

>"Using music as a drug is stupid" Stockhausen
All best music combines exultation with intellect, so he was just another too edgy for you 20th century contrarian faggot.

Petzold

Any highly rated docus?

In Search of Mozart

>plebs don't know that dudes like Beethoven were occultists and merely transcribed music from higher dimensions and didn't compose it themselves at all

ASTRAL PLAGIARISTS

Petzold

Thoughts on Sheku Kanneh-Mason?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q6GJgOXBi2U
youtube.com/watch?v=cKfNp5LJDRA

What are Mozart's most underrated works and why are they the piano quartets?
youtube.com/watch?v=pBHOCulz9u4&index=1&list=PLoX49ywxsvyYXuKcm6Fi5mDyiWUWEIc1d

Probably because there are only 2 of them

youtube.com/watch?v=IP7o3Q1lfII

>No views
wow never seen taht before on youtube o.0

It's common with autogenerated videos.

yeah it is just froma few days ago too apparently so it makes sense

>he fell for the 'reddit is worse than Sup Forums' meme

It is, but only marginally.

It definitely isn't. It's much easier to pretend that all the stupid shit said here is tongue-in-cheek than there.

Haha yeah exactly, all of the stupid shit I post in these threads is just a troll guys, please don't think I'm actually that dumb, pls.

because clt left

real asnwer: because sdf left

Let's settle this at once:

strawpoll.me/12269595

strawpoll.me/12269595

strawpoll.me/12269595

youtu.be/hQVtHOc8kEk

You white boys wish you were this good.

Nigger, please.
youtube.com/watch?v=z3OZLb2xyCU

In all seriousness, though, that was a pretty good rendition.

For a bunch of niggers.

Better than Karajan at least

Why is Bruckner so much better in slow-motion?

youtube.com/watch?v=OXoappntul0

Let's go slower.

youtube.com/watch?v=DRRclttgS1g

Which is the best symphony to get into Mahler?

Start chronologically.

1st then 8th

I'd say das lied von der erde, klemperer with ludwig and walter with ferrier are both fantastic versions with some of the best singing you'll ever hear
also the second and ninth seem to be the most popular overall?

Depends where you come from. I like all of them but the 8th and 7th.

Which is the best version to the 1st Symphony then? I always hear that Abbado, in general, is the best for Mahler.

Listen to the earliest recording.

That's what you call slow?

youtube.com/watch?v=D4eOU39-LWA

a 24 first movement is actually pretty standard though

What are the best Stockhausen works? I don't know almost anything about him and would like to listen to something on YT.

My bad, I was hasty. Didn't notice the recording is incomplete. Let's try again, I'll pay attention to more than just the runtime next time.

Gesang der Junglinge, Gruppen, Momente, Hymnen, Stimmung, Mantra

www94.zippyshare.com/v/l2f55RKh/file.html

Ivan Fischer

They're all shit.

>Abbado, in general, is the best for Mahler.
>vomiting_madotsuki.png

Who are the best for Mahler?

me

Petzold.

Just listened to Ligeti - Aventures.

Pure pseudointellectual crap.

It's parody

What about Mahler's 2nd Symphony? Who should I listen to?

Listen to your heart.

klemperer the emperor

if you're just exploring the symphonies for the first time, then listen to whoever.

no point getting autistic about recordings until you've familiarized yourself with the pieces.

that's outright stupid, i hope you're trolling. hearing a shit performance of a piece can turn you off from it just as easily
is this your first day listening to classical music?

Which headphones are you bus boys using for your classical consumption?

Petzold

Tennstedt, Horenstien, Klemperer

he would be perfectly fine with grabbing whatever is in one of the mega links and going about his day

Should I just get every recording available and listen to all of them? That seems like it would take an eternity if I did that with every piece of music I listen to.

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250ohm.

There's not a lot of shit performances on major labels, they might not be to your liking but they will fine for a newcomer.

No listen to a variety of music, not 100 of the same symphony. Save that for when you are more experienced.

I disagree. I thought Beethoven's Symphony no. 6 was boring shit for the longest time because I listened to Karajan, but when I finally listened to it again, this time conducted by Furtwangler, it felt like an awakening. So recordings do make a difference.

Thoughts on Karajan's interpretation of the 9th?

That one was probably fine, but I don't really remember. Sorry. Maybe someone else can respond.

i'm not saying that recordings don't make a difference, but merely that the perspective of those differences are shaped depending on the way you first hear the music. radical interpretations like a Furtwangler for instance are only "radical" by comparison to more "straight-laced" recordings. if you heard a Furtwangler recording first, you don't really have the proper context for what's different than a typical performance.

i remember Maria Callas used to say that whenever she was learning a piece, she would always take an extremely straight-laced approach with as few interpretive modifications that she could muster. then, later, she would adjust the piece more to her own interpretation.

i think a similar approach towards recording is fine. i know it's comforting to know that you're listening to a "good" version for your first time listening to a piece, but i think it's fine to listen to a Karajan or a Abbado to at least familiarize yourself with a piece. and if you think the music is interesting from what you heard you can explore more. just my opinion.

there are a few cases where an initial reception to the music is bad because of a flawed performance, but i can't say i've had too many of those personally. by the way, my first Beethoven 9 was Furtwangler's 1942 performance. when i heard other performances thereafter i thought people were just doing it wrong because the timpani wasn't being hammered.

Where to start with Zelenka?

You're right about perspective, but a good first impression always helps because it gets you excited about the music in the first place, making you want to listen to it again and again, along with different interpretations, as opposed to a bad first impression, which will leave you uninterested, possibly never listening to the piece again. I guess that's not the worst thing in the world, but it's always something you could have potentially loved that you were missing out on.

speaking of Furtwangler if any fans of his are interested, i've uploaded a BBC tribute of his from 1964.

it's a sort've perspective on the artist, containing eminiscences by musicians that performed under his direction with excerpted musical illustrations.

commentators are:
Vladimir Ashkenazy, Daniel Barenboim, Elisabeth Furtwangler, Szymon Goldberg, Berthold Goldschmidt, Eugene Goosens, Hans Keller, Rafael Kubelik, Walter Legge, Friede Leider, Paul Kletzki, Yehudi Menuhin, Gregor Piatigorsky, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Friedelind Wagner.

www111.zippyshare.com/v/i4HCMAv5/file.html

it's about 81 minutes long and has some fairly interesting tidbits. there's an especially amusing one about a row that Keller and Furt had regarding modern music.

>why is Sup Forums so cancerous nowadays, feels like reddit or someshit
>nowadays
It's always been Reddit and Tumblr tier.

Everyone talks about how great Furtwangler's 9ths are but they seem too slow at times and the percussion is too loud and drowns out the other sections.

Why is guitar the best instrument ever created? What makes it sound so much better than everything else?

slow at times, extremely fast in others. but that was his flexible and romantic style.

i must admit that he doesn't do my favorite 9ths either, but the 1943 performance is quite excellent. i'm not too big on his his post-war 9ths which seem a bit lacking to me, though they do solve that excessive percussion which you mention.

actually the percussion was likely an issue of the recording limitations of the time, his sound engineer in the war had some interesting things to say about his experiences with Furtwangler:

>Furtwängler always asked me if I had any comments to make. I remember once, when we recorded Beethoven's Ninth in Salzburg, he made the timpani play so loud I feared we wouldn't be able to record them faithfully.

>To the astonishment of my Austrian colleagues I went out onto the orchestra balcony to tell Furtwängler it just wasn't possible. They all trembled because they knew what Furtwängler was like. But they didn't know the extent to which he listened to my advice. He saw me standing up there and said: «I imagine that the timpani are much too loud again?» «Yes» I said and he: «but it is so beautiful». So I said: «All right, then». However, things were not easy with microphones in those days. One had to be very careful about dynamics. In fact, even the slightest overloading could cause not only distortion but even ruin the broadcast signal itself. So I had to be careful.

it could also just be due to tape damage. the ruskies treated those tapes like shit, as many have issues while others sound absolutely incredible for their time (the Bruckner 5th, for example)

This and capriccios

Ivan Fischer

It's too bad it isn't loud enough to play with orchestras but the silver lining of that is softer wood like cedar sound more pleasant, or "warmer."

What about this then? youtube.com/watch?v=ye-FvKCZp3s

youtube.com/watch?v=7udClrQtmws

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=8vwuSNQT2Rg

With his first opus like you would with any composer.

r8 this baroque english song I found
youtube.com/watch?v=fq9P1cKmzD8

I think it's pretty good, sounds like something Purcell could have written

Elaborate

The guitar is nice and all but it is lacking, there are better instruments in my opinion.

like what, harp?

The glockenspiel
youtube.com/watch?v=lfWBjxzXPsw