Does anyone legitimately believe big time college athletes should be paid?

>get to play a game you love with a chance to make your living doing it
>free tuition (100-250k over 4 years depending on the school, increases every year)
>free room and books
>all you can eat at any time of day
>access to the best tutors on campus
>few grand each semester
>easy qt pussy
> in some cases good jobs and free vehicles and housing for family members
>book bags full of cash on recruiting visits, including from schools you wont attend
>more free shit from boosters throughout your college career
>comfy job in town once your playing days are over
>voluntary whether to play or not
>other scholarship athletes in non revenue sports and at smaller schools get jack shit

If you think college football and basketball players should be paid you are literally a sports tumblrina and are not welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-college-athletes-are-worth-2013-3
thespun.com/big-12/texas/texas-freshman-derick-roberson-posts-photo-of-totaled-car-after-serious-accident
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Its not really all you can eat any time of day. You get a certain amount of food at certain times of the day and if you have practice or whatever after class and miss dinner you're just fucked. Also the difference between how certain athletes get treated is drastic.

I don't think they should be getting huge payouts, but they should at least be given a stipend of like $40-$50/day to buy food n shit if they want, paid out weekly or biweekly. They should also have the option of taking a reduced course load, and continuing their studies (paid for by scholarship) after they find out they dont have a chance at going pro, so they don't waste their time taking relatively easy majors just to be able to stay competitive in their sports. Its really hard to do an actually difficult major and still do well on your team, you're basically working 2 full time jobs.

>being a good goy and believing this makes it ok for ESPN and the NCAA to make billions off of these kids

Can you imagine the butthurt from fringe sports like volleyball or softball will get if they start paying football and basketball players?

There's no way they would ever get the same amount of money.

>muh tumblr

bunch of other undergrads get a stipend for much less

So... Why not just pay them like normal people do to their employees and have them use that money to support themselves. Muh land of the free.

So what, leaf

At least they get meals, many people don't get shit.

Many people don't free money by doing a hobby they choose to do

Why should people who make the NCAA literally billions of dollars only be compensated with 0.00001% of the revenue they generate?

How is this at all fair in your world?

>if you have practice or whatever after class and miss dinner you're just fucked

You mean you're in the same boat as the rest of us.

these kids get like a half million dollars worth of free shit over 4 years, how much more should they get? and dont watch if you feel bad about tv partners making bank off these oppressed young men

They can try to get good grades in school to get into college. I sort of understand the complaint, but at the same time nobody is forcing them to play.

What's wrong with letting some of the free shit be cold hard cash? They contribute to the NCAA's TV revenue, let them have a cut of it

no but the NCAA should stop jewing them off like they do

They get a fucking scholarship that can be taken away at literally any time. The NCAA makes so much money from these kids its ridiculous dude.

>practice or whatever after class and miss dinner you're just fucked
what? the entire team leaving practice at the same time and missing a feeding is a common occurrence?
>Also the difference between how certain athletes get treated is drastic.
yea if you dont do what youre supposed to do, your coaches arent gonna treat you like the guy who puts in extra time. if only this was applicable to any other place in life than sports
>They should also have the option of taking a reduced course load, and continuing their studies (paid for by scholarship) after they find out they dont have a chance at going pro
12 hours is too much and they should be able to go to class for 8 hours a week? grad school should be paid for if theyre no longer on the team? if only players were able to choose their major...a lot of schools already honor the scholarship if a player gets hurt and cant play anymore, which is understandable but your suggestions are laughable.

marxists pls go

yes scholarships are performance based. its almost like if you dont do your job, you might lose it. again, the ncaa is complete shit and should be shut down with the quickness, but if its an issue for you, dont watch and contribute to their corruption

define compensation. nobody puts a gun to their heads and says "you have to come play ball and get jewed deandre!"
>0.00001% of the revenue they generate
citation needed

in a lot of cases they end up not getting meals, or missing meals, which is why you hear stories of college athletes getting caught stealing food from grocery stores n shit. And people playing sports need to eat more than the average meal, you cant just have standardized meals for athletes. A football player is going to eat way more on average than a female volleyball player, for instance
no, not at all, if I work late I can go to the store, or mcdonalds, or a restaurant and buy whatever the fuck I want. If I had no money I wouldn't be able to do that
if a player dedicates years of his life and helps bring in money (in some cases millions) to the school he should be compensated or at least treated right after. For instance, for a lot of junior hockey leagues here (albeit not school related), for every year you do in the league, you get 1 year of paid schooling for after you finish playing. Also, I dont know if you've ever been to college or university, but usually its more like 15-20 hours of lectures/classes a week at bare minimum (more in the first and second year), and another 5-10 hours of reading and course work after. That could easily be doubled if you're not taking a major like humanities or horticology or something retarded like that. On top of that its also very common to have practice every other day (or every day for some sports if you include shit like dryland training or whatever), video sessions once or twice a week, and a mandatory workout schedule every day.

They're basically put into a position where they have to skimp on their school, or skimp on their athletics, and since their athletics are paying for their school they just choose the path of least resistance and take an easy major. Also, I'm talking about the regular joe on scholarship, not the superstar whose basically guaranteed millions after he gets drafted.

The scholarships are a joke and are literally used as an excuse to not pay college athletes.

I don't think they deserve a huge boost but I think they deserve fair compensation. I also think the athletes should own their own likeness, the fact that they can't sell autographs and stuff on the side is kind of whack.

businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-college-athletes-are-worth-2013-3

Instead of giving them free shit, give them money and make them pay for it

>Hating capitalism this much

Nigga they get catered meals delivered before and after practice
t. Former student manager

They have the freedom to negotiate their contracts. How is it not fair?

12 hours is minimum for scholarships. youre right that players arent able to dedicate themselves to academics as much as an average student. but the university bends over backwards to help them and ensure they stay eligible. and if a player helps "bring in millions" to a school, he was likely a star and will definitely be treated right around town after hes done playing. thousands of athletes have managed to not major in general studies and spend 40 hours a week on football and got a degree and moved on with their lives. players now are getting more than ever and degenerate muh feels enablers like yourself are lobbying for them to get more. it will never be enough for your ilk, these players are living the dream

I wonder who could be behind this thread...

Fine. Remove all athlete scholarships and pay players what they are worth.

Is that better leaf?

As long as college athletics has billions riding on it, this conversation isn't gonna end. You can make some athletes part time staff instead of students, but that wouldn't incentivize universities enough. The extreme option is to end college athletics and only have intramurals, but that is never gonna happen.

Besides, the top, top percent of athletes make the money from being the difference makers between winning and losing.

Pay them but due to title 9 everyone only gets $500 a month because of the flag twirlers

Considering what they're worth would be more than the scholarships and possibly collapse the NCAA system, probably not. They'd still have to be underpaid but at least it would be better than it is now.

Which college athlete do you represent, Mr Stein?

title 9 kikes would get triggered that you pay football jocks more than women soccer players and they would shut the whole thing down.

>tfw you went to a meme school with shit teams and athletes who actually did their own work

You mean what 3-5 players on maybe 10 teams are worth? The rest you pay 30k for the year and tell them there's a hundred thousand highschool players that can play third fiddle to our stars.

This is what all your jewberg agents don't realize. Your cousin who plays 3rd receiver for stanford isn't worth the scholarship they get.

>Your cousin who plays 3rd receiver for stanford isn't worth the scholarship they get.
retard here, is the scholarship respectable and actually legit or does he only have shattered dreams and a worthless degree?

I never said players couldn't be compensated by playing time. Maybe they develop an arbitration system with pay scales. There are ways to solve this problem, user.

And the jews are the ones who don't want to pay the kids by the way

Can the explain college sports to a Bong? I don't know of anything similar here in the UK.

It is what you make of it. My uncle played baseball for UCLA in the 70's and got a free education that let him do GOAT on tests and get into a good law school after graduation.

Tyrone Trayvon who reads and writes at a 6th grade level is probably not going to do anything with his education and even if he graduates he will expose himself as a moran

A bunch of jews exploit kids by giving them some overvalued scholorships and rake in 12 billion a year laughing all the way to the bank

this only takes cost of attendance into account and not any other benefits which are worth at least as much as tuition. also there are 350 d1 basketball schools, do they take all of them into account or just the top schools? conferences like the a10 and big sky have tv contracts, doesnt that make them revenue schools?

There are big parts of Flyover country in the US that are too small to support a major league sports team. These parts of the country fucking love college football/basketball since it is the biggest entertainment available for hundreds of miles and they go to games even if they never went to college

That's entirely up to them

So is it amateur then?

yes

"""amateur""" yeah. The players are not paid in cash but are given free college educations also the NFL has no minor league system and the tax payers basically develop future players for the NFL, The NBA has a minor league system but only like 8% of the players spend any time there.

Baseball and hockey have massive minor leagues for people to try and get paid in

It's sort of like minor league sports. I guess the best equivalency I can think of is that NCAA division I football teams are like a lower division of the EPL or whatever you would call it. Though they are technically amateur.

So now we suggest that we don't pay these players by what they are worth in the market? Now it's some arbitrary sliding scale decided by who? The agents? The union?

And you're arguing that you're not being the jew here? You're either for a free market or not.

Are you suggesting that someone like Deshaun Watson is worth the same market value as a 6th string Stanford WR?

Didn't you literally just try to argue the opposite?

>arbitrary sliding scale decided by who

Playing time is not an "arbitrary" scale. Maybe there will be a sliding scale based on playing time or some other metric. The point is there are solutions to this if people are willing to iron them out. Pretending that there is no possible way to solve this problem so no one should even try is incredibly retarded.

thats a nice butt, asl?

>Deshaun Watson
>mfw you were making up a stereotypical nigger name
>mfw its real

>1% of scholarship athletes play on college teams that make money
>wants to get into how much a player plays and weigh it against how much money a team generates to determine his worth
>thinking deshaun watson goes without anything and doesnt get $100 handshakes whenever he requests them
says
>Pretending that there is no possible way to solve this problem so no one should even try is incredibly retarded.

wew lad

What I'm arguing is you pay them what they're worth. If you're going to pay them, take away their scholarships and pay them their market value.

I promise the athletes will be begging to go back to the old system (aside from the top 20 athletes). The NCAA would make more profit in this system.

The schools can afford to give each player $500 per week and like 2% royalties on their jersey. It's enough to pay for things that scholarships don't pay for, like food, gas, recreation

But why?

>thinking deshaun watson goes without anything and doesnt get $100 handshakes whenever he requests them

So because he's forced to break rules to get fair compensation the system is somehow fine?

>1% of scholarship athletes play on college teams that make money

Give me a source for this

And what does the rest of your post even mean? Are you suggesting its really that big of a deal to find a way to compensate players in the neighborhood of what they're worth? You do know professional leagues already have systems like these in place.

i cant wait until 5 years from now when every player has an agent and a sophomore safety is holding out of spring ball because he played 77% of special teams snaps last year and his handlers cant come to an agreement with lsu's gm because scumbags like you feel bad for the big man on campus

Ban *all* scholarships. No scholarships for Lacrosse, playing the tuba, being really smart...no one gets money. If you want to attend a university you have to work or/and get loans (unless you are rich).

Let the NBA and NFL come up with (or develop existing) amateur leagues like baseball.

>Implying college sports is modern free market capitalism and not indentured servitude

There should be a minimum salary just like any team would have. Just being on the team means you deserve enough money for a scholarship. I don't think you understand how much money the NCAA makes. And you seem to think that if a player isn't a star they are somehow worthless.

Right because the current system is so much better

Why should a scholarship prevent someone from being able to make money?

I got thousands of dollars in scholarships when I was in school but I still made money on the side by working a job every semester.

Why should athletes have to forgo making any money just because they're on a scholarship?

People want to play sports professionally, you offer a path to play those sports professionally and other services in exchange for them using their skills on your team.

Somehow not a free market cause they agreed to it?

>People want to be compensated fairly, you offer a fair monetary compensation for your athletes and other services in exchange for them using their skills on your team.

Somehow not a free market?

youre the one advocating for advanced metrics to be used to determine a 20 year old students worth, you tell me how many players there are that contribute to revenue in college sports in this country and announce schools have to cancel 4/5 of their athletic programs.

>You do know professional leagues already have systems like these in place.

thanks i was unaware professional athletes have contracts. you fucking triggered me. nice proxy leaf

If they aren't creating revenue for the college they are worth very little. The majority of college players are completely interchangeable. Minimum salary? Sure 25k... but it's 60k a year to attend this school so you'll have to take a loan out for the rest, D'dickakillish Caughtonepasseverythreegames.

sounding like a commie

A music scholarship at Berklee offers you a path to become a professional musician and other services in exchange for them using your skills at that school.

However, if I also wanted to record a grammy winning album and make millions of dollars while I'm at school there's nothing that stops me from doing that. My scholarship doesn't deter me from making money on my own.

College sports is the only institution where your scholarship allows an institution to literally own you in exchange for services. It's not how our economy is intended to be ran and it's completely unconstitutional whether or not someone agrees to it.

>how many players there are that contribute to revenue in college sports in this country

Wait do you really think that there are only a few players who actually bring in the NCAA money?

>schools have to cancel 4/5 of their athletic programs.

Why do you think this would happen? You have no idea what the system would even look like you're just projecting because its convenient. Keep pretending that there is no possible solution to this like the retard you are. Nobody should even try to fix the system, amirite?

>thanks i was unaware professional athletes have contracts. you fucking triggered me. nice proxy leaf

I wasn't even referencing contract, thanks.

aside from preventing them from being able to profit off their likeness (which is unamerican) they dont have jobs during the season because their athletic obligations prevent that, which they obviously should because players have to honor the agreement. congrats on your minority scholarship jamal, you are more privileged than college athletes

Do they pay them to play in the orchestra?

Football players are welcome to write award winning novels while playing football as well, I'm sorry their only marketable skill is hitting things and there is a very small competitive market for that.

Considering how much the NCAA makes off student athletes I can't imagine very many scenarios where athletes on teams aren't worth at least the scholarship to attend a school.

Back when EA did NCAA Games, A cut of the profits should've been given to the players.

Yea cause I can't find a guy college aged who would sit on the bench playing 3rd string whatever for 25k a year right?

>college football players dont get paid!!1!
>modern day slavery!!
when on snapchat theres fucking freshmen toting stacks of money on their stories. A Texas freshmen got in a car accident and post a photo of his totaled car; a brand new cadillac

thespun.com/big-12/texas/texas-freshman-derick-roberson-posts-photo-of-totaled-car-after-serious-accident

You didn't understand my post.

The point is no--football players are not welcome to write award winning novels---not if they intend to profit from it. The NCAA owns your name, likeness, and any profits that you generate officially belong to them.

If you write the next great American novel and sell it at Barnes and Nobles for even a penny you will be stripped of your scholarship and banned from playing NCAA football.

forgot pic related

>Wait do you really think that there are only a few players who actually bring in the NCAA money?
yes out of all ncaa athletes, very few play for programs that make a profit. you want to go through each team and see how much they make and how much each player should be paid accordingly. this would be wildly inaccurate and expensive to research
>Why do you think this would happen?
do you know how much the average womens basketball program loses? a shitload, not to mention the other sports that arent football or basketball. how do you think these are paid for?
>I wasn't even referencing contract
you want arbitration based on pt in college sports and call anyone who disagrees a retard? i literally cant even

exactly. anyone who thinks these guys dont live like kings is delusional

What are you even trying to argue? Your scenario would never happen in real life. The colleges are always going to fill their teams with the best players possible.

no ones forcing you to play on a football scholarship. You don't want a free tuiton to college at the expense of playing a sport you love? You want to get paid? Fine dont go to school and go to McDonalds

The solution is really simple. Let players profit from their own likeness.

Some convention wants to pay someone to sign autographs for an afternoon? Fine!

The college sells a guys jersey in their bookstore? Well that player should get a cut.

A player Ebays the swag basket they get from a bowl committee? Fuck you, let them do it, it's a fucking gift anyway.

Free market, bitches!

yea its ridiculous that players cant sign shit for money, they shouldve been paid for the games (big law suit going on over this i believe) and sports stores shouldnt be able to stock a more popular players jersey number more than others (which they no longer can.) everything else is fine tho

i dont like the idea of paying them but this is the only potential path the NCAA can take if they want to change it

if a player is good then he should get paid for getting his jersey sold

>giving athletes money
They already have enough. I have to work my ass off using my brain for physics, I will never be rich.

>you want arbitration based on pt in college sports

Can you actually give an argument against this?

>do you know how much the average womens basketball program loses? a shitload, not to mention the other sports that arent football or basketball. how do you think these are paid for?

Where did I ever imply that athletes of every sport should be compensate the same? Just because you compensate your athletes more doesn't mean you just get rid of every sport that doesn't make money holy fuck. The NCAA makes more than enough to pay athletes from big sports and still allow athletes from smaller sports to keep scholarships.

>what's wrong with giving 18 year old black thugs a couple thousand dollars in cash?
hmm

$50 per day for food? Jesus Christ are they eating filet mignon twice a day?

>I freely chose a career that makes no money, therefore no one should make money
Berniefag get out

Physics irrelevant.

Ok, I'm an engineer now. Should I get paid to do math in college?

>unironically wanting low IQ thugs to make bank

>Considering how much the NCAA makes off student athletes
How much do you think that is?

and they freely choose a career whose monetary earnings are deferred for 2-4 years

No, you should be disallowed from having a side job because you're on a math scholarship.

that's the logic of the NCAA

I only have a few issues with it
1. They're being taken advantage of as the money makers for the ncaa while getting no money
2. The nfl and nba basically get another league without having to pay for it
3. These guys are basically doing what a professional does for no money at all in the name of amateurism

We seem to live in a culture where dumb, muscular people get to live without consequence (essentially).

If I was on a math scholarship, what would I need to quick money for?

That's dumb, for any other major the idea of college is to get educated, and to get into the field of that major. Not to make a salary while you're in college. The real money comes later.

If I take out loans, than I can work during. If I am on scholarship, I don't need more money at the moment

>Can you actually give an argument against this?
can you make an argument for it? literally everyone would think this is dumb because it is
>Where did I ever imply that athletes of every sport should be compensate the same?
you didnt, you said other sports wouldnt be affected if they paid players based on pt while they obviously would

refer to and the non argument of a reply here to see how badly youve lost leaf

pinkos eternally BTFO

They bring in over 12 billion total yearly and defer about 3 billion of that to student athlete scholarships

So you tell me

>can you make an argument for it? literally everyone would think this is dumb because it is

You mean you? Can you name a single problem with it?

>you didnt, you said other sports wouldnt be affected if they paid players based on pt while they obviously would

Can you expound how other sports would be affected?

Can you back up anything you are saying at all?

I'm saying you are way over estimating the difference between those that make the team and those that don't. The dollar difference is negligible

Does that mean that the people who do make the team shouldn't be paid or something? You could say the same about any random 4th stringer in the NFL and free agent shitter.

>mfw paycucks just want to see Mandingo Johnson buy high shelf liquor and weed with his money on top of expense free life

You faggots just want to suck BBC. Fucking cuck faggots