rateyourmusic.com/~jazzthreadguy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

more like jizz

Complimentary headgear for all posters in this thread

Close

ya like jazz?

More like this?

youtu.be/7vMszycqqlc

i've been listening to redman&mehldau for the past few days and i cant get enough

listen to In a silent way, imo its better but maybe not as groovy.

Fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=HL-B_Qfj30o

More chaotic, more noisy, and more modern.

the only jazz i like is swing

keep that bebop stuff away from me

Why to both statements.

hmmmm uhhh any fucking fusion album?

I asked a friend earlier on, but i'm looking for some modern jazz with a strong focus on drumming and electronics. So far i've found SCHNTZL and Janek Gwizdala. I'm looking for the sound of Squarepushers ultravisitor done on actual drums, or something that ressembles breakbeat, but done with an actual drummer. Anyone have any recs?
Don't say Badbadnotgood.
link kinda related.
youtube.com/watch?v=LqwifkO0Ln0

death to metalcore kiddies
youtube.com/watch?v=41RgdUoGZ98&t=1536s

in the past couple of months i got this sudden liking to swing music even though i've only listened to cpd for my swing fix, they came out with more albums consisting of swing and i decided to look into the originals. i like the dances (Charleston, lindy hop, etc.) and since i can't dance to it, i might as well learn to play it. great rhythm with plenty of melody coming from the wind instruments.

the other statement was just a joke
/blog

Question:

There's basically no information on Joachim Kuhn on the internet and according to Allmusic the song "Ternder Mercies" from pic related album Dynamics is apparently a cover of a Scott Kempner piece. It doesn't sound anything alike and also the Kempner was to my knowledge released two years later, so I'm inclined to say that there is no relation and that is was an algorithm mistake on Allmusic's part. Further complicating this, though, is that a short review on propermusic.com says this:

>1990's 'Dynamics' is a solo keyboard/piano album that sees Kühn perform songs by Eric Dolphy, Jerry Herman and Scott Kempner

However, it goes on to cite Allmusic, which leads me to believe they also have no idea what they're talking about. Any user knowledgeable enough to clear this up for me?

forgot pic

who is jazz? is their music good?

Never mind I found a pic of the reverse which gives composers credits.

DO WE GOT ANY OTHER HERBIE FANS IN DA HOUSE?

play.spotify.com/user/1232993342/playlist/32BhYzTCafTMl61vrxn2B8

(I stayed away from jazz threads for a while)

post-bop is completely orgastic tho

>crossings and sextant that low
WEW

i made some instruments-based essentials a few days ago

i know next to nothing about wind instruments so if anyone has some experience could make some that'd be nice

some moar

Rahsaan Roland Kirk's discography for wind instruments.

>no Art Tatum

Chart disregarded.

I'm not always for large collectives recordings, but dang

anyone listen to the new Roxy Coss album? I think its p good, a really fun listen

Does anybody know which standard this is a recording of? Thanks!

vocaroo.com/i/s11rRGi3K1Iw

good list but
>3 Bill Evans
>2 Monk
>2 Herbie
>2 Bud Powell
>no Chick Corea
>no Joe Zawinul

what genre do these albums fit into and where can I find more?

youtube.com/watch?v=9ANzhPJZ2U0
youtube.com/watch?v=aanM-pAdUZc
youtube.com/watch?v=H_8fMXsb-3k
youtube.com/watch?v=xs3rLwZWmOQ

sorry if they aren't jazz enough. I'm a clueless faggot

FUCK OFF WITH THIS STUPID SHIT AND DIE KILL ALL EMO FAGS

>emo
did you listen to them?

Haven't heard close to his entire discograpy but Maiden Voyage is so good.
Sextant is also real nice, but you don't like it?

I've been spinning this non-stop for the past week. Makes my soul smile

youtube.com/watch?v=5aoSMnvje6A&t=1201s

sanders is nice indeed

Never listened to Christian Scott before I saw this album on Bandcmap.
Thoughsts on his stuff?

thanks for sharing, this is p good

has there ever been a bigger asshole in jazz history?

Mingus comes close

first Weather Report album
Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi-band albums - Mwandishi, Crossings, Sextant
Eddie Henderson's Sunburst
Joe Zawinul's Zawinul

Aren't jazz enough? None of those songs are jazz songs, sorry. First song is a math rock song, the second one could be classified as math rock and post rock, the third album is a Midwest emo album and the last I'm not quite sure about. Sorry, not jazz.

try drummer Olavi Louhivuori's Existence. It's a solo album with live drumming to pre-recorded electronic backgrounds (he does have another guy triggering the samples live when he performs)

youtube.com/watch?v=C0t4lxHuxCc
open.spotify.com/album/10OhdR5aXbXjPb1780q0cq

well, pharrell williams and maroon 5 got to perform at the new orleans jazz fest so i guess those can pass as alternative jazz

this better be bait

i wish i was making that up nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2017/01/jazz_fest_2017_lineup_schedule.html

>Stevie Wonder, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Maroon 5, Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds, Kings of Leon, Usher & The Roots, Harry Connick, Jr., Meghan Trainor, Lorde, Snoop Dogg

did you mix up the order? no way the third one is midwest emo

bump

Miles Davis is /I pretend to like jazz/core

I really really really fucking love Max Roach. Great drummer, great bandleader. This is incredible
youtube.com/watch?v=B_medMtWoQQ
Just wanted to say that

funny, so is not liking miles

>Jazz Fest
>Maroon 5, Kings of Leon, Snoop Dogg
What is this heresy?

More like this but somehow less dark? I think i'm so close to finding my perfect jazz album, and this is probably the closest i've gotten, but this is just to doom n gloom at points.

Look at their Bandcamp page:
renaissancesound.bandcamp.com/album/renaissance-sound

Name a fusion album that reaches the heights of bitches brew
no if ands or buts just name a fusion album that is equally as good as bitches brew
I'll wait....

Well this is shit

Especially Bitches Brew, right? Just get out of here. Yeah, like anyone who's never listened to jazz is going to bother listening to a 2 hour long album.

>its effort to have a speaker playing

Fuck Davis, guarantee every one of you sucking his dick is a white suburb bitch

>Making it through the first 20 minute song

bitches brew is honestly mostly accesible shit... mediocre compared to other things he recorded

What do you think will happen, the normies ears will start bleeding?
Get over yourself, a dog can listen to any album

Thoughts? Is it even jazz?

certainly a stretch to call it jazz

funny thing, I hadn't realized before that Starsailor was released on the same Frank Zappa/Herb Cohen owned label as Trout Mask Replica

Ah that's cool, only reason I posted was because this album was part of Buckley's obsession with creating a jazz album. I knew he had trouble with record labels, makes sense he would go to the same one as TMR.

mean like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=Wc4tT-55ZzI

I think it's better just to name players. Most albums on their own fail to be representative of a player's full breadth. I would probably heavily modify the charts you have, though I suppose I'm not sure what you mean by 'essential'. I would take it to mean "these are the albums you have to have listened to fully understand and therefore play this instrument", in which case (for just the drum chart) Jimmy Cobb is sort of a strange choice, as is using that album for Art Taylor, also, leaving out Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Dannie Richmond, Billy Hart, Jo Jones, and Jack DeJohnette would be blasphemous to most drummers. Likewise for the other charts. The other problem I guess is that I think of a shit ton of people as essential. If I were to make a sax chart it would have at least 50 albums.

That's the album that got me into jazz. As a rock listener I found his Kind of Blue stuff boring and his fusion much more fun.

but most players have looong lists of participations in recordings, those lists were created with the purpose to make it easier for new listeners by guiding them towards most notable records

anyone who likes fusion jazz needs to be publically executed

pretty good, i play drums and i can tell you this album was amazing drums-wise. didnt really like the occasional 808 electronic drums though

>all recorded between 1956 and 1964 except for one random Bill Evans album and one japanese wannabe Bill Evans memejazz album
shit chart desu

Yeah I understand that, but as I said, even then your charts are pretty strange. If you're trying to lead bass players to the most notable bass albums, why are there 4 Mingus albums there? Especially since they don't really feature much different from each other in terms of the bass playing. Why put that Mingus piano album or the Ryo Fukui album in the piano chart? They're good albums, but they're not exactly filled with revolutionary playing that piano players need to hear.

this album was like a 6/10, there's worse stuff being released but there's also much better stuff as well

where do you find out about new jazz releases?

>Bitches Brew
>accesible

kek

I don't because modern jazz is shit

allaboutjazz.com/
freejazzblog.org/
rateyourmusic.com/~jazzthreadguy

not him, but its inaccessible and it sounds like ass, not to mention its the most overrated jazz album ever made

Anything like Blue in Green (on Kind of Blue)?

I've already gone through most of Bill Evans stuff but I'm more attracted to the whole Blue in Green atmosphere and solos.

dude pharaoh's dance is the most groovy thing ever. i'm not saying its bad because of it. and so is the rest of the first side.

reminder that bill evans literally wrote ALL of blue in green and davis is an arrogant hack who contributed nothing to jazz

Thank you! I had heard this guys stuff like year ago but i couldn't find it now. I tried to remember his name but i kept thinking oransi pazuvu

>listen to jazz album
>don't know if I liked it or not
>don't know if it was good or not
anybody else?

>midwest
maybe thats where they are freom? i dont know usa geography but they're not midwest emo if you actually listened to it

but.. snarky puppy