Why are so many Croatians fluent in German?

Why are so many Croatians fluent in German?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2ua1WB-fovQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because half the country worked in Germany at some point in their lives.

what is 出稼ぎ in English?

Basically this, it applies to the whole of Western Balkans (Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia). Also, they had a lot of influence from Austria during the centuries.

Also, they're probably taught German in school, from middle school to the end of high school we in Serbia get a second foreign language, it's usually French or German. It's the same over there, all /ex-yu/ countries have the same education system.

kek wanted to write half of their country is here

because germany facilitated the breakup of yugoslavia in order to turn croatia and slovenia into its colonies

Those middle school German classes can be very lackluster from my experience. Most people aren't close to being able to hold a conversation in German when they leave middle school. This doesn't change unless the person spends some time in German speaking countries.

English is different because a) you start learning it earlier and b) it's fucking everywhere.

most people go to germany for work. Even if it's some shit waiter job, it can pay more than being a doctor in Croatia.

I remember that during some reform in Austria-Hungary, it was mandatory for all Croatian politicians to speak German and for all politics to be in German.

German is taught as a second foreign langauge in highschools.
I went to a gymnasium and picked the scientific-mathematical direction, where German was substituted with more math and scientific subjects.

Most that went to a "general" type of direction in gymnasium highschools had German for 4 years (14-18 years of age).

Well, it's a good starting point. For example, I was taught French, and even though I can't coverse outside of simple greeting and introductions I can still read the language. Which would help me if I were to eventually start learning the language.

After we liberated outselves from the Turks, most of our 'high echelon' society was trilingual. They knew Serbian, French because our society was shaped like the French one because our nobility looked up to them, and German because we were under the Austrian sphere of influence. This stayed to this day, all 'cultural' schools (linguistics, tourism, geography etc.) teach you French while the trades teach you German (STEM, economy, medicine...).

sucks that I didn't study german, apart from like 1-2 years in elementary school.

Can't even read german, only know some grammar rules.

Weird that Russian isn't taught in Serbia. I talked to a Serb qt and she said that she studied english, german and russian

I would've liked to have been taught German instead of French too, not that I don't like French or France, but German has more use in a Germany dominated Europe. Also, the language taught depends on the region, Central and Western Serbia have French influences (for example in architecture), whilst the North has German influences (also can be seen in architecture).

Russian is only taught in Kosovo, I think. Never heard anybody learning it. Serbia is only with Russia politically, culturally we lean towards the West.

I also find it weird that you aren't taught Italian, you were in their sphere of influence after all.

Few people in my cunt speak German. Mostly people who worked there. French isn't even in top 5. I'd say - English, Russian, Spanish, German, Greek, Italian. Excluding Turkish for obvious reasons.

youtube.com/watch?v=2ua1WB-fovQ

i hate germany and russia but better germany than russia

Both are shit desu, but one has money, and the other is usually on our side.

ALI MY SOUL IS BURNING

HAHAHAH KAKO JE IKAD MOGLA TAKVU RECENICU DA IZGOVORI AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>the other is usually on our side
realistically, since ww1 (over 100 years and two gvmts ago), when has russia actually helped you other than paying lip service and selling you stuff

I would imagine ww2 also had some effect what with Ustaša and everything going on there.

cringe

They're on our side nowadays, in the past the only power that was on our side was France. That's why we like the French.

>They're on our side nowadays
so they pay lip service, ok

Weil sie sind Cucks

Also checked

croatians work in germany and germans holiday in croatia

It was one of the reasons we always went to Croatia for Vacations instead of Italy

That and the beaches arent as packed with Germans as in Italy. Also cheaper, and Bungalows

Warum nicht?