>The Police
BITCH WHAT???

changed the way I see music production

grimes. her instrumentals are bananas

youtube.com/watch?v=IkuUFWHPiec

I don't even really like Aphex Twin, but he definitely changed how I see music

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train

First time I decided to step away from top 40.

Gorguts - Obscura
Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind

Got recced Obscura cuz metal, found out about TMR because of Obscura's AllMusic review, found SFTB on RYM when I browsed it for the first time; all three records really changed how I viewed music in terms of how to judge something that might initially sound totally alien to my tastes and what it is different forms of music offer over one another.

James Holden's Balance 005
Bach's Art Of Fugue
One of John Coltrane's records I can't remember honestly

The concept of paying attention to the more subtler things in music. From Bach it was melodic/harmonic progression, from Holden it was minimalist "sounds entering and building up", from Coltrane it was the expression involved from very organic styles of playing music.

Swans - Public Castration is A Good Idea
Giles Corey - s/t

Of course music can get a person through hard times, but I didn't particularly believe this until I went through some myself and have listened to each of these records about 500 times each during a more suicidal time where they kinda kept me away from it. It wasn't necessarily the more typically "musical" aspect of these records, I obviously wasn't in a state to enjoy that stuff, but like their kinds of intensity that they offered that appealed to me at the time whether its Swans visceral kind or Giles Corey's (un)emotional one.

Any particular works that the Juilliard String Quartet have done that made you pick them?

Dean Blunt's a big one for me. His work with Inga Copeland especially. Like jazz for the musically illiterate.

Machine Girl
Cocteau Twins
Luomo
Panda Bear
The Avalanches

Bob Dylan

linkin park - meteora

great taste

Same, I didn't know music could be this bad. Really makes you think...

David Bowie

Mayhem
Mort Garson
LOAS

This, the fact its taken this long for Bowie to be mentioned is shameful.

Sun Ra

Avey has the thickest lips ever, he actually looks like a fish.

tfw you're the OP and no one has commented on your funny image name

John Cage changed the way I hear sound altogether.

Because it's not funny you gay bitch

>Tiger Lillies
>Swans
>Throbbing Gristle
>Residents
>Sun City Girls
>Gerogerigegege

rude

He's cute

Their current stuff I just can't get into. I've been a huge fan for years but songs like Floridada just weren't doing it for me. :(

dont talk shit about my qt husbando like that

Not but the cops don't really sound like most other bands. Part of it is due to Sting's unique voice. However, Andy could do weird almost dissonant guitar chords and Stew would act as a lead instrument so that the rhythm section was the lead instead of the usual power-trio sound.

true!

>Metallica
>Meme Ozzy song
>Not top 40
>imblying

>Nine Inch Nails
Made me dwell into music in general and I became much more of an active listener, This album changed how I hear all albums, I now I hear much more details across all albums.

>all EDM is repetitive uncreative abrasive-sounding boring shit
Recommend more babby's first trance music please.

the beatles

this desu

Showed me a mix of hip hop, jazz, and poetry that I didn't know existed and opened my mind to the hip hop world in general. He really made me delve into the genre's roots and research shit like African War Poems and how much they've influenced actual rap.

Not a shill but the African people actually have a pretty interesting culture regarding the importance of the eb and flow of the spoken word that a lot of western cultures required hundreds of years to approach.

He didn't just open me to a new line of listening, he offered me a perspective I had no idea existed.

forgot pic

Minutemen were so goddamn good, Double Nickels and the first RATM album both changed how I view mixing and a "good" band sound

too many bassists are lost in the mix

When I was like 14 I got this compilation that came with a magazine that had songs by artists that 'influenced' Nirvana. In truth, they were just bands that Kurt happened to enjoy. This album alone happened to be extremely formative for me because it opened my ears to the possibilities of rock music and music in general. For real though, this thing was the perfect gateway to so many great bands.
>Melvins
>Big Black
>Beat Happening
>Scratch Acid
>Flipper
>Iggy and the Stooges
>the list goes on

Big Black had a particularly strong effect on me and now they're one of my all time favorite bands.

>ITT: Artists who completely changed the way that you see music
>people just list artists they like

But they're the same thing

>Current 93 / DI6
>Bowie
and
>Giles Corey
come to mind

Same on Ariel Pink and sun kil moon/rhp.

James Ferraro is another one (kinda in the same vein as Dean Blunt, but even less song-based; I'm talking early James Ferraro btw)

not really.

Agreed. Say what you like about Kurt/Nirvana but they are a great gateway band into some brilliant stuff.

but mentioned it, you big meanie >:^(

Kurt's favorites are the best way to get into alternative, the guy had fucking patrician taste.

Mozart

>There are bassists who go their entire lives playing just the roots of the melody

Viva Watt

youtube.com/watch?v=_Gn1uZGZDMk

youtube.com/watch?v=nW5po_Z7YEs

Getting into Chopin and Romantic Music really changed me for the better.

this

gfriend

what is your last.fm or rym

have a nice life and teen suicide were p big for me bc they made me realize you can actually make great music even if your equipment is absolute garbage

got me into diy stuff basically

My Bloody Valentine
Sonic Youth
Ride
Brian Eno

Started listening to metal at 12 due to angst and being against the system.
Slayer helped progress me into heavier music.
Cannibal Corpse allowed me to enjoy "extreme" vocals.
Burzum got me into black metal which is probably my favourite metal subgenre.
Protest The Hero helped get me out of an exclusive "extreme" metal phase
SunnO))) helped me appreciate experimental music and ambient/drone music.
Death Grips got me into hip hop and gave me an appreciation for electronic music although I still find it hard to enjoy it without vocals unless its ambient music.

Bob Dylan
The Beatles
The Beach Boys
Animal Collective