/grimes/

Let's talk nicely about the awesome Canadian artist Claire Elise Boucher, known as Grimes.

News:
- The futuristic new Venus Fly video featuring Janelle Monae is out now on Tidal

>almost finished building like 20 or so 5D multi timbral synths in roli equator, they'll be released for roli blocks later this year. never made synths from scratch before, its pretty fun
Video with her playing a mean jam: instagram.com/p/BP6JQUMjSd_/

- Grimes produced a new Aristophanes song, Humans Become Machines: youtube.com/watch?v=BHmVqMISPLw If you don't know, Aristophanes is that Taiwanese rapper that performed on SCREAM.

- David Byrne is a fan:
>"I started collecting pictures of Grimes, Madonna, Kate Bush, Sinèad O’Connor, on and on—popular musicians are obsessed with her. This trend inspired the premise for the show: a pop star decides to give in to the Joan obsession and tell her epic story in concert".

>Boucher's public persona is definitely striking, but one-on-one, the perception completely dissolves. Here I was expecting someone brimming with whimsy, but instead she was a 24-year-old girl; rather down to earth and just coming to terms with the concept of fame. The fame that brings David Byrne of Talking Heads to your shows. When his name came up, Boucher was absolutely ecstatic, like an excited little puppy. "The tour in America was fucking insane. David Byrne being there was crazy. I kinda wish I knew he was there before the show… But then again if I did, I probably would’ve been really nervous".

Rule #1: be nice to Grimes.
Rule #2: see Rule #1.

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/thepitch/1432-poppin-off-an-interview-with-the-bubbleologist-behind-grimes-venus-fly-video/
rbt.asia/mu/thread/S70090201#p70100980
brightersummerday.tumblr.com/post/140813442023/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015
nylon.com/articles/shirley-manson-strange-little-birds
twitter.com/MuchFACT/status/829018927137161218
youtube.com/watch?v=MgshhTHxSNc
fuse.tv/videos/2015/12/grimes-fuse-first-interview-flesh-without-blood
pitchfork.com/news/71434-go-behind-the-scenes-of-grimes-and-janelle-monaes-venus-fly-video/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Garbage.

Does she even play guitar?

Great band desu. Listening to Push It now.

Of course. There's guitar all over Art Angels. Not solos, but some cool and catchy riffs.

she does a very good job at existing

and making art

good for her

pitchfork.com/thepitch/1432-poppin-off-an-interview-with-the-bubbleologist-behind-grimes-venus-fly-video/

still prefer that she stopped.

just be patient... she's living her life rn

Grimes fact #69: did you also know that grimes can grind chickpeas and garlic butter into humus using only the muscles in her cavity? it doesn't get manlier than cooking whilst you sing onstage.

That's rude. Delete this.

So no more art from her? You can't be serious.

>art
At best she mumbles along nasally to quirky sounds

That's art, friendo. The good art is supposed to be unconventional.

Being divergent is no a marker for artistic talent when done deliberately. It's a safe call to placate the hipsters and tumblrinas who need to hear their mainstream political views sold back to them as the suppressed voice of reason.

Art is subjective, bruh. Artistic talent is hard to measure. You're dancing on unsafe ground.

i just wish fame wasn't the absolute most important thing to her

Does anyone have anything else similar to this? I need it for research.

But it's not the most important thing to her...

>"To become the world's weirdest pop-star and be respected for having a strong, experimental body of work that represents something new in music and that is considered to be 'important' rather than 'popular'."

She's doesn't want fame for the sake of it, she wants respect and appreciation for her art.

it's not, giving head is.

is she the first artist ever to try and be unique?

this is bait

No way. Many artists tried and most of them failed. To have an unique style, that's one of the biggest things an artist could hope to achieve. To stand out from the crowd, to not be confused with anyone else. And I believe Grimes succeeded, because let's face it, no one is like her.

Think about how the fringe benefits her dance instructor.

What a Bjorking load of Kpop your post is.

Hi James.

It's not. I told you the truth. It's not my problem if you can't deal with it.

this is just grimes being normal though. it's normalfags who want to be unique and weird

Many forgettable people tried to build their brand indirectly before their talents spoke for themself.
Good luck getting people to believe your hyperbole.

so is she like all feminists? you know what i mean

Post-feminist
rbt.asia/mu/thread/S70090201#p70100980

>Many forgettable people tried to build their brand indirectly before their talents spoke for themself.
Yeah, but Grimes actually has talent. The results of her work speak for themselves. See also Great talent without a great image will go you nowhere. Think of every great artist, Bowie, Kate Bush, Bjork, Peter Gabriel, Prince, Elvis, Sinatra, etc. Everyone had a great image besides their music. That makes people remember them from an overcrowded music world. 2 words: be memorable!

She's definitely not 'anti-male' if that's what you're asking.It's about equality.

Mademoiselle Boucher

I like this Grimes. She lost the extreme haircuts and is a bonafide Que Tee.

she's so cute

you don't know about her private life

stop projecting trust onto people

Claire Boucher! marry me pls

marsha marsha marsha

Pasta and baguette

i'm a faggot

Lol.

If anything, she inspired him (for better or worse.) Notice how this interview took place in September of 2015, ie. right around the START of the 2016 presidential primary debate season and BEFORE Trump's initial assertion of dominance:
>G: So many of the artists I admire reference the aesthetics of power… The idea of a pop star is kind of replacing the idea of the religious icon or the political figure… And most of the biggest pop stars use a lot of the same tactics. It’s weird, because most of the best aesthetics are liberal.
A>: Do you think there’s a correlation between forward-looking politics and boundary-pushing creativity?
>G: You can make something that’s really aesthetically avant-garde and still be super-populist. 'Cause that’s what Genghis Khan was. That’s why I’m really interested in all these books. He had all these really complicated ideas and really over-the-top aesthetics. I mean, he also forcibly murdered hordes of combat fighters. But I think when things look powerful, it manifests. It’s often a self-fulfilling prophecy.
brightersummerday.tumblr.com/post/140813442023/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015

hi faggot

Oui.

:>

I don't think she inspired him, it's just an effective tactic used for milenia as she points out. He probably has no idea who she is tbch.

faggot, that's a vagina

Cute

She looks really, really pretty. A real artiste.

Claire is so interesting as a person (besides her music). I think her main goal is to "marry" experimental to pop, to be weird but also relatable at the same time.

>>What advice do you have for young female musicians?
>I’m wary of giving advice to other musicians because the choices I make might be right for me but aren’t necessarily right for everybody—but ultimately I believe that you have to be prepared to stand by your guns and be your messy, flawed, fucked-up authentic self. It’s taken me 20 years to figure out that the best version of myself is just me. It sounds incredibly simplistic, but it’s not. I would also tell them to have something to say. Don’t just stand up there and look pretty. It’s not enough. The media will tell you that it’s enough, but being pretty means fuck all long-term. You have to be prepared to work hard, sacrifice, be competitive, and be ambitious. There are millions of people wanting to do what we do, and somehow you have to find a way to stand out. The best way to do that is to be your authentic self, because that’s what makes you unique.
>>Who do you think is doing a good job of that right now?
>The one who comes right to mind is Grimes. She, to me, is the greatest example of a new generation doing something that none of my peers did. I look at her and really believe that she’s a bona fide original. She writes and produces all of her own material. She’s a force to be reckoned with. She’s not just standing up there looking cute, or knowing the right people. There’s a lot of that right now, particularly on social media. There’s a lot of posturing and “Look at my cool lifestyle!” and “Look how beautiful I am” and “Look how outrageous I am!” And that’s all very well and good, honey, but where’s your music? Produce something. Do the work.
nylon.com/articles/shirley-manson-strange-little-birds

She has a very nice guitar in this pic here. P 90s are the very best pickup. Truly excellent taste if its anything more than a prop.

Shirley loves Grimes, that's awesome.

She plays that guitar in the studio

Lol stop acting like a human meme.

grimes is cute!

someone please take that guitar away from her

>unique style
>everything about her is derivative
come on.. i like grimes but you sound like a hardcore tumblr fan

>...what did he mean by this

well then i don't know what to do but be sad

user, all art is derivative. What matters is how affective your derivations are.

you could apply this to life honestly

yeah but grimes is like the steven universe or adventure time of music... what's your opinion n quention tarantino, you think he's a genius too?

Grimes is the Quentin Tarantino of pop music, which is to say that Quentin Tarantino is also a bonafide artistic genius.

dumb

first day?

You monster!

Everything is derivative in art, it matters what you do with those influences. And what she did was really great.

how so?

Evidently not.

Kill V. Maim was nominated Video of the Year @ Juno Awards (the Canadian Grammy): twitter.com/MuchFACT/status/829018927137161218

Go Claire!

you clickbaited

how many heads?

If you look at evolution it works exactly on this principal: everything derives from something else and what survives depends on the effectiveness of the derived trait. Equally as a society when you we tend to look at our peers that effectively deviate the most for new inspiration. I think we all have a built in sense to want to be percieved as unique, our own, exactly because of this, since from the point of view as a species it is what is needed for progress.

>2014 Sup Forums I love grimea!!
>2017 Sup Forums she's a whore and sucks

Contrarian fucks

Does anyone have a non tidal link for the music video?

indeed

Agree. Mesh the vocals.

McRides "UH! UH! UH! YEAH! YEAH!"

With Grimes's baby whispers in Visions.

1080p full quality, intro + actual video + outro

cloud.
mail.ru/public/UKgm/YwGdAeaFq

I'M SAD SO I CUM IN THE FUCK
*50 layers of reverb over screechy bat vocals*

youtube.com/watch?v=MgshhTHxSNc

grimea river

>1. Skreechy Bat: "In my head, when I write music, it's Skreechy Bat, because Grimes has been very abstracted from reality."

fuse.tv/videos/2015/12/grimes-fuse-first-interview-flesh-without-blood

Wasn't bad at all but listening to the beat made me long for her vocals, its one of my favorite songs on AA.

Tbh it would be improved with by adding Grimes's vocals to it to counterpart McRide's vocals.

Yeah, kinda like a duet. Or at very least some vocal harmonies from Claire.

how do i kiss her like that?

;_;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

That's I.V. in the image. Not Skreechy Bat.

Delete this

why is this allowed ;_;

;_;

Who /tears for Grimesl/ here

Why tears? Be happy for her.

Venus Fly video - behind the scenes: pitchfork.com/news/71434-go-behind-the-scenes-of-grimes-and-janelle-monaes-venus-fly-video/

I am. These are tears of joy.