CASSETTE GENERAL

CASSETTE GENERAL post collections, labels, recent purchases etc.....

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YDz45f5zEhM
youtube.com/watch?v=lTFwH-i66p0
youtube.com/watch?v=h_gp3jSqBOk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Name one advantage of a cassette

Super unknown bands only issue albums physically on tape

ok and how is that an advantage?

if you collect music psychically. I only collect vinyl and cassettes

well true I suppose its an advantage if it at least comes with good liner notes

>collecting music psychically

I was also the last of my friends to stop playing with GI Joe

probbaly not a coincidence

I recently discovered this mixtape my dad put together in 1989 entitled "Kick Ass Rock & Roll." I find this hilarious just because my dad is not someone it's easy to imagine describing anything as kickass. Anyway, r8 my literal dadrock.

Can you stop this please? Last thing we need is the hipster teens of Sup Forums thinking tapes are cool

The feeling of putting one into a cassette player. It's orgasmic desu.

ru4reel

I am not a teen nor am I a hipster. I collect music from the bands I like and a lot of them can only afford to release tapes. So good day to you

I thought you wouldve been into like real screamo, black metal, noise, or at least weirdo indie rock, but no. you're just into flavor of the month bandcamp indie rock, this is a garbage tape collection.

>super unknown bands
>alex g, mac demarco, real estate, porches

wow...

>~50 tapes
>not alphabetized

>reel
I see what you did there.

your argument for tapes is correct but it does not apply to the overwhelming majority of your collection.

listen to punk demos tard

>can only afford to release tapes.
CDs are cheaper. We checked.

Damn that second side tho
Nice dad

CDs are cheaper and literally fucking nobody buys them because they look like shit and they are literally the same thing as a free download except they get scratched and ruined

You spend money pressing tapes, you sell tapes and make money. You spend money burning CDs, you have a pile of CDs sitting in your hoise for years and you look like a retard at the merch table at shows.

I actually just sold a CD for $40 thank you very much

oh tapes don't break?

cd scratches can easily be repaired but who the fuck scratches a cd at all let alone so badly that it skips? a fucking degenerate thats who

how the fuck does a tape look better than a cd? first of all you cant even fit all the artwork on there unless of course its specifically designed for that.

CDs are more permanent and versatile storage than a file. However not by much so I wouldn't buy them for that alone. Now as for making my own CD from the download thats a different issue. Again there are multiple advantages but not enough that I would buy it for that.

Also CDs are far more conducive to autographs than tapes obviously which is how I sold a $5 cd for $40

and from experience I think that CDs are even more conducive than vinyl but of course it depends on the album. Percentage wise though I'd give it to CDs

Fits in your pocket
Durable
Compatibility with older cars/sound equipment
Re-recordable
Far cheaper than pressing a record

Even where it falls short, in degradability and sound quality, it provides a niche of an older time.

Beside, mixtapes are the shit.

CDs fit in your pocket and thats one of the ways they're more conducive to vinyl for autographs. Although sure a tape does more easily fit.

Why not have both?
Exclusive tracks on the tapes too. Digi downloads to boot.

>CDs fit in your pocket
Yeah maybe if you wear tan cargo pants from Old Navy lol

I'd be worried about breaking a CD in my pocket, I don't worry about shattering a tape. CD's could fit with stretching sure, but wearing pants with a CD in at a show sounds uncomfy as fuck

>Why not have both?
you mean why don't I buy both? literally why

and CDs have exclusive tracks and download codes

I wouldnt care this much but literally every single album I've bought this year has been a cassette. WTF am I supposed to do with all this shit?

It's hipster as fuck

Nigga tape cover arts fucking rule

nah its not that big a deal. However I suppose that yes I could in fact fit more tapes. Who knows maybe I'll take advantage of this sometime. Holy fuck I can't believe we found an actual advantage.

that could easily be a CD

Exclusive tracks will always be a thing regardless of the medium.

I guess I mean it from the perspective as a musician, releasing material. I've put out CD's, they're cool and all, but putting out a tape just seems more... fun. A record is ideal but baby steps, ya dig?

It gives a platform for local musicians to put out a physical release without the financial burden of pressing vinyl.

This is the CD

ironically this one could easily be a tape

Does anyone here run their own label? Curious

people are giving this guy shit but really he's done nothing wrong. I would genuinely love to own some of these tapes (specifically homeshake, that mac bundle one, pom pom, d'angelo and lil ugly mane) I have a pretty decent tape collection but am going to refrain form posting it because it's 70% melbourne bands nobody has heard of and I'm going to get grilled regardless so fuck it. Keep on collecting tapes man, they are legitimate

well since we're at the top

Can we think of one more actual advantage tapes have over CDs in addition to pocket size? As a festival going autograph hound thats good enough for me but I'm just curious.

You know you can literally buy that LUM tape for like five bucks? Everybody has one

>As a festival going autograph hound

CD

Your dads friend's eagles cover band are the only people who put out CDs now

sorry thats what its called so I can't exactly dance around it.

Is there even such a thing as a double cassette? I mean it always has to be completely separate cassettes right?

or separate cases rather

oh yeah those actually ring a bell now, thanks

i didn't know that cheers for enlightening me. actually don't even rate that album that much compared to his other stuff just thought it'd be nice to own something from him.

look to be honest for me personally the main advantages are:

1. The cd player in my car is cooked, I can only play tapes
2. A lot of my favourite local bands release music on tape hence 70% of my collection being melbourne bands
3. They are more aesthetically pleasing than cd's and actually involve a ritual when it comes to playing them
4. They are incredibly cheap unless you're buying one from stonesthrow or something

No idea why I like cassettes, just do. Maybe the kitch of it? Maybe the ritual of playing a tape? No clue. Also part one of my small collection

Yo, part 2

And part 3. I also have a milk crate of some older tapes that someone just gave me but I haven't had the chance to look through it. I did see a GWAR tape, Slayer and tons of classic rock best of albums so there may be something worth keeping.

i know tool are considered a joke on this board but this tape is still worth a few hundred bucks.

Hey, you like what you like. And demo tapes are always interesting to have

i'm not even a tool fan. p sure my parents got this back then and i just inherited it and found out how much it was worth

undertow is a p great album though desu but they're one of those bands who got progressively (ha ha ha ha ha) worse

Then wait til they actually announce the new album and sell that shit when they attempt to become relevant again.

>my parents got this back then and i just inherited it
Did they die in a crash?

just bought a tascam 414 and a telex duplicator

>parents die in a plane crash
>your inheritance is Tool cassette tape
>it's actually worth thousands of dollars

I have a collection of around 50 cassettes of Bulgarian pop-folk and some other oddities that I mainly use for re-cutting material or for the boxes.

Also interested in this. As a aspiring noise musician I'm looking into publishing my own stuff independently since the sites of all domestic label's have a "we don't accept submission" sign on them with big red letters.

Bulgarian pop-folk? Any recommendations to start out with that. Sounds interesting.

>wait til they actually announce the new album
good joke

Allegedly they have one in the works...just like last year...and the year before...and the year before that...and the one before that...

Major artists for the last 10+ years have been AZIS, Andrea, Gloria. PlanetaOfficial@YT is the channel of the biggest producer of pop-folk in Bulgaria.

some retro hits:
youtube.com/watch?v=YDz45f5zEhM
youtube.com/watch?v=lTFwH-i66p0
youtube.com/watch?v=h_gp3jSqBOk

i bet you're very active on social media

>tfw when you do it purely for the hoy that music gives you
>and you don't even have fb
>but deep down you need a pat on the back
>and recognition and whores and some nicer clothes

well fuck...I want to hate that so badly but I am actually enjoying this