How popular is cricket outside of the Commonwealth?

How popular is cricket outside of the Commonwealth?

Are there any non-Brit Euros on here that can talk about how it is viewed in their country?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gacZHv3uArQ
bbc.com/news/world-europe-36461853
youtube.com/watch?v=zPuvBxrsGL4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Isn't Cricket the guy who died at the Álamo?

No one i've talked to about it likes it or understands it.

I'm fairly sure i can count on one hand the amount of americans that like cricket.

Compton has a cricket club full of LA gangsters. I shit you not.

that is interesting but still, its still quite an unpopular sports in america. I like it though. Once you know whats going on, its like a much better version of baseball.

it will be the no1 sport in Germany within 10 years

youtube.com/watch?v=gacZHv3uArQ

bbc.com/news/world-europe-36461853

World Baseball Classic > Cricket World Cup tb h

>number of Baseball World Series' won by America: 102
>number of Baseball World Series' won by the rest of the world: 1(one)

KEK

rest of the world on SUICIDE watch

The Toronto Blue Jays have won it twice.

Sport de dégénérés. Absolument dégoûtant.

>asian
hmm

It's not even popular in 'The Commonwealth' anymore lmao

In college I would get high and watch test matches.

sometimes the sports channels here will show obscure stuff like snooker, darts, or aussie football games, but ive never seen them show a single game of cricket.

yeah thats what i meant

i work with a Canadian who shills the fuck out of Spicswing which is why I knew Toronto had won it. Didn't care enough to actually factcheck how many times though

Except it is, you daft git.

>replying to an American with facts and reason
just how fresh are you?

Nobody even knows how the fuck to play it in America.

here in the US, the only way to (legally) watch cricket is through some obscure sports channel that is only available through some expensive cable package or occasionally streaming on ESPN3

it's a shit sport kek

ridiculously boring lad

no one has the fucking patience to watch a sport where it takes a week to finish one game desu

PLEASE

this is a good opinion fellow canadian

I comletely understand how people who don't understand it would think it's boring.
But there's so much depth and nuance in a good match of test cricket that really is impossible to get across to the casual viewer. It's a thinking man's sport

people know what it is

Thats the extent of it

The only reason I know the rules is because of this board

>It's a thinking man's sport
This is what mouth-breathing retards say to try and make out they're intelligent for watching test cricket. A desperate defence of what is an uneventful, wholly boring and negative game.

It's not a "thinking man's sport" at all, there's very little thinking required to follow test cricket, just patience.

This is exactly what baseball fans say

batting in baseball doesn't require anywhere near the mental strength as cricket

baseball is literally luck:the sport

why do you think they need series' of 7 games to determine which team is actually better?

Hahaha. The fucking delusion

>Baseball
>pay attention for a couple of minutes, get 3 strikes, trying to swing the bat as hard as you can and hope you hit the ball

>Cricket
>bat for 100-200 balls in an innings if you're good. One strike and you're out. Have to hit the ball precisely, think about the field constantly and how to ball is swinging/ turning. one out can fuck up the entire match

yeah I'm delusional

not even a cricket fan but he is clearly right

batting in cricket requires hours of concentration. One mistake and you're done.

Baseball is literally just swing for the hills and pray.

you don't always want to swing the bat as hard as you can, only if you're trying to get a home run. and the best batters can read a pitch as soon as it leaves the pitcher's hands, so it's not about luck. the only time luck comes into play is if the pitcher didn't throw it correctly and it doesn't hit the spot he wants.

It wasn't the comparison to baseball that is delusional, it's the bullshit about le mental strength batting in cricket.

And don't give it that "hurr durr one mistake" bollocks either, you know that's not true.

people here think that cricket is gay

>It's a thinking man's sport
Why is it played by so many footballer-tier thickos then?

how is it not true?

That's like saying a goal in soccer won't win you the game?

>All these young German girls watching big strong muslim men

hmmm

kek, did a cricket player fuck your mum or something m8?

'mental strength' is a pretty ambiguous word so im just going to amalgamate it as various mental attributes

quite clearly batting in cricket demands a number of those, too a far greater extent than baseball: concentration, anticipation, decision making (short and long-term)

>And don't give it that "hurr durr one mistake" bollocks either, you know that's not true.
How is it not true?

*number of Americans

most things are cultural. The footy blokes here need something to do in the summer so they play cricket and drink beer.
Things have the ability to be bastardized like that. especially a sport.

Watch youtube cricket funniest moments. If u laugh, ill give u 100 neet bux

if (you) cant laugh at an Inzamam-ul-huq highlights reel there is something broken inside of (you)

Because cricket affords many mistakes to the batter and with out any consequence.

those (dropped catches, nicks that go through the slips) are anomalies, not the norm

you are clearly rustled for whatever reason by cricket. I'll assume you are a chav who went to a state school and are in a state of absolute seething jealousy toward the big strong private school lads

L
M
A
O

3 strikes to hit a shot. Whereas in cricket you get dozens? Comparison is a bit daft really. I mean, granted they're both bat-and-ball games, scoring and the opportunities to do so are quite different.

It is though. Take Steve and Mark Waugh, Mark was clearly more talented but Steve had a higher average because muh hardcunt aussie battler. Mental strength is a real thing in cricket.

>getting this arseblasted over cricket

Weeeeeeeeeeeew lad!

The fact remains you're wrong as the batter can make mistakes.

>it's an aussie can't remain civil then people disagree with him episode

Anyone actually addressing the the OP? Any reason cricket doesn't have the appeal outside the Commonwealth

>Any reason cricket doesn't have the appeal outside the Commonwealth

No one asked that question and the answer is pretty simple. The ICC (previously Imperial Cricket Council, now Indian Cricket Council) has historically always deliberately attempted to prevent the growth of cricket.

When cricket started it was a gentlemens game. The British actively prevented the colonials from playing it. This is one of the reasons baseball picked up in America, because only the English counties were legally allowed to play cricket. It's a minor miracle cricket is played even in the Commonwealth. Indians werent allowed to play cricket, they just watched and copied the British merchants they saw playing it.

It's the same thing these days. The Indian Cricket Council and the Pig 3 are actively working to exclude more countries from playing cricket and reduce the amount of teams allowed into international events every edition.

its the #1 sport in australia

>big strong private school lads
Shame they didn't put that strength and education to any use.

And if dumb cunts like Flintoff, Plunkett and Ponting can play the game, it's not really a great advertisement for exercising the grey matter

>cricket
HAHAHAHAHAHA

>The Indian Cricket Council and the Pig 3 are actively working to exclude more countries from playing cricket and reduce the amount of teams allowed into international events every edition.

as an example of this, cricket isn't in the Olympics because the BCCI (literally unironically called 'Board for Control of Cricket in India') refuses to allow the Indian Olympics committee any control over the cricket team.

Ricky Ponting is literally the most intelligent Tasmanian who has ever lived

cricket was used as an example of what a tv executive would put on if they were deliberately trying to tank the network

youtube.com/watch?v=zPuvBxrsGL4

also if people want cricket to be more popular why not invite more teams to the world cup instead of making it smaller?

>also if people want cricket to be more popular
who wants that?

>P-P-P-PLS WATCH OUR INTELLIGENT SPORT

holy shit kys gatecuck

shouldnt you be getting ready for prayer?

rugby is a bad sport

>implying statsvirgin cares about thugby
fresh

Only virgins care about 'cricket'

Nah, it's generally pakis, poo in loos, and coons. And they're renowned for their mass breeding.

you're literally replying to a poo in loo m8

>because only the English counties were legally allowed to play cricket
then how come the first international cricket match was between canada and the united states? and how would the icc even have stopped people in not commonwealth countries from playing cricket against each other?

Very good post

>then how come the first international cricket match was between canada and the united states?

firstly, it wasn't. That tour, to date, is not recognised by the ICC. The first official match as legally recognised took place in 1877.

Second, 'Canada' and the 'united states' would have been nothing more than one or a small number of private clubs from said countries that people probably more than a century later retrospectively started calling it an international match. The first English touring teams were also basically just Surrey and friends. Not a national team in the way we'd think of it these days.

>and how would the icc even have stopped people in not commonwealth countries from playing cricket against each other

they just wouldn't have recognised the match or offered them any sort of support. Even India wasn't even granted Test status until 1932 despite cricket being popular well before then. Bradman never played a game against India.

>That tour, to date, is not recognised by the ICC. The first official match as legally recognised took place in 1877.
but it was an international match regardless of whether the icc officially recognises it as such

>The first English touring teams were also basically just Surrey and friends.
the first international football match in 1872 was basically england - queens park rangers. and in the beginning a lot of international football matches were clubs or city XI playing each other. when fifa was founded spain was represented by real madrid until 1913. this didn't stop football becoming the most popular sport in the world

>Even India wasn't even granted Test status until 1932 despite cricket being popular well before then
so getting recognition and/or support from the icc isn't a necessity for cricket becoming a popular sport after all

personally i don't think the icc being more inclusive and suportive at the beginning of the 20th century would have changed cricket being a niche sport in most countries

Not being recognised by the ICC doesn't mean it didn't exist. It did. That is a fact.

The German is correct.

The longest format of international cricket takes 5 days. (so not weeks.) and the current popular form is t20 and it takes about 3 hrs to finish

most popular sport back home tybe

t. Nepalese

5 days is a working week

He said weeks implying it took ages. Even I have to admit that test matches can get boring, but they don't take ages. T20 and one dayers are kind of fun desu

>and the current popular form is t20

[citation needed]

>He said weeks
he didn't

so how do the tickets work? do you only have to buy once or do you have to buy a ticket for each day? do lots of hot arab cuties go to the games?

By popular I mean exciting. At least in india.
Dude just go and see.
From what I know you only pay for it once(in most cases).

>no one has the fucking patience to watch a sport where it takes a week to finish
>a week
are you retarded?

>are you retarded?
Look at its flag.

Fine. It was in honest mistake dickwad.
No need to be racist jolly wanker

you're missing my point, while USA-Canada may have indeed been an international match in the way we understand it, it wasn't legally recognised and that was a symptom of cricket administrators actively attempting to exclude outside peoples from participating.

>so getting recognition and/or support from the icc isn't a necessity for cricket becoming a popular sport after all

You're absolutely wrong. Lets use the recent example of Ireland. They had hit a peak in 2011. They beat England in a World Cup game and had a genuinely decent team full of County professionals. And not a team full of Australian/South African rejects like the Netherlands, but a team with actual Irishmen.

The ICC could have capitalised on the progress Ireland was making and granted them full membership and access to the FTP. They didn't do this for reasons and Ireland was denied exposure to guaranteed international tours.

Now I'm not saying cricket would be a major sport in Ireland now if they had done it, but what is certain is that Ireland was denied a huge amount of money from potential tours and exposure against top quality sides. What the ICC did was actively eliminate any chance the game had of growing in Ireland. Add to that Ireland almost certainly will not play in the 2019 World Cup and the game is basically dead in the water in that country now.

>personally i don't think the icc being more inclusive and suportive at the beginning of the 20th century would have changed cricket being a niche sport in most countries

Probably not but it definitely would have more spread. I could see cricket having a niche following in places like France and Argentina the same way Rugby does.

I honestly thought it was some Brith Raj thing that nobody but elders play in free time, like boules here. Something from XIX century.

I already said that I thought /cric/ was an offtopic thread. Didn't even know it was played seriously, with people getting paid for it until I started shitposting on Sup Forums.

loving this Spaniard tbqh lads

The point is you're wrong, the German is right.

while icc policies over time certainly didn't help to grow the game internationally, i still think you're overestimating the influence a governing body has on the popularity of its sport (probably because it's easier to just blame the icc than as youself the question whether the lack of cricket's popularity stems from reasons intrinsic to the sport itself).

*ask yourself

You don't really understand what you are talking about.
The ICC is nothing more than the collective of its members. it is not a significant independent body like FIFA. So you are correct at least insofar as saying the ICC itself has had a negligible impact on the development of cricket.

But when looking at the development/growth of the sport, it is not unreasonable to assess the impact of the decisions made by the games administrators.

>(probably because it's easier to just blame the icc than as youself the question whether the lack of cricket's popularity stems from reasons intrinsic to the sport itself
So lets use two modern examples: the decline of cricket in England over the past decade and the (rapid) decline of Rugby Union in Australia in the past decade

In both instances, the decline had little to do with 'intrinsic sporting reasons'. Rather, both can be quite easily quantified by the numerous blunders made by administrators over that period. Indeed all the factors that made Cricket and England and Rugby in Australia far more popular sports than they are now all still exist. The reason for their decline is far more institutional.

I've never met anyone who said anything about it. I have, however, seen a group of Indians playing it in a field, which they set up to be a makeshift, local league, while I was on the train. If I weren't on my way to work, I would've asked to join.

Pretty popular in my area, we have a few leagues that vary on competition level. Lots of South Asian immigrants here (big technology area) which explains the popularity

Frankly i think the sport wouldn't fare terribly in the US but the national commissioner guy is a nut who for some reason tries to ban almost everyone from playing. Think the US is banned with the ICC right now. Heard some people think he's a MLB plant to keep cricket down in the US

cricket wouldn't be appealing to MLB fans because it doesn't have baserunning.

Semen slurping sport tbqh

i'm not living. i'm just killing time

at least youre not balding la

Cricket is shit famalam.

what sports do you like, lee?

None, sport is terrible. I come here for memes and funposting.

PLEASE

WATCH