/daily/ - FISH Makes a Thread Before Going to Class Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

>discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>discord

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FO0R7xFB2xc
youtube.com/watch?v=2iijmj5nB6I
youtu.be/7eKv4BEujFU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

a

are those #dubs?

No

make me a chart

shit...

lowermeme

new guy here
make me a chart

>make me a chart
Anything else you need? : )

heck...
whered all the dolphins go tho

oh jeez
"no"

don't spend it all at once

>whered all the dolphins go tho
Bears. It was the bears.

ooh nigga

its that time of the month, period time

Also unrelated, but name your favorite pop album

RIP, fallen trip friends.

>Mississippi John Hurt - Long Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground
Quality stuff. Super affecting vocals, emotionally expressive guitar work. Anyone who thinks this early blues lacks complexity needs to hear this.

>Ramayana Monkey Chant
Crazy I didn't know about this. A crazy complex rhythmic work involving only 100+ vocalists. Pretty hypnotic. Like co said, some parts are more engaging than others.

Co moves on

>Swans - Blood Promise
No, no, no. This will get some of you riled up, but this was boring and pretentious. I can dig some Swans, and I'm not a guy to talk about crescendo-core being a meme, but this was totally one-note and unnecessary and without progression or even nuance. Let me know if you want me to keep going...

>Rise of the Northstar - Demonstrating My Saiya Style
This was surprisingly all right. Production was great, those drums sound pounding as hell. Vocals are way over the top unnecessary. This is the kind of thing that's so formulaic but pulls what it does off well.

Trans is back from the dead.

Send picks, y'all.

FCUK bears

done.

the fuck is wrong with you good christ

My age starts with 2 instead of 1

"pretentious" is not a valid criticism tho

Of course it is. It means a sense of importance that overshadows value. Plus there's the rest of my criticism

im not gonna argue with you but you have bad taste

nah it just means you're cynical
youtube.com/watch?v=FO0R7xFB2xc

If I'm gonna lose for Dark Was the Night it might as well be to Golden Rain not even mad. Good round.

Also I think that Swans review is phrased abysmally.

Any review on Sup Forums's Sup Forums's /daily/ using the phrase "pretentious" is made illegitimate by existing in itself.

Give me a fucking break. You make a lame pick, I don't like it and list out all the reasons why (even offer to elaborate), your only rebuttal is "you have bad taste"? You see how productive this is? If you want to be remotely serious about music criticism, leave ego at the door and make some actual tangible arguments

i told you i wasn't gonna argue with you my guy, my intention was to reground ourselves to the fact that this is Sup Forums's music board and there's nothing legitimate or serious going on here

though if you want to talk about tangible arguments, i would start by making some that don't involve buzzwords

Happy to elaborate, but "pretension doesn't exist" is a terrible new meme. Where did this come from?

Rock 'n Soul (1964) by Solomon Burke, recommended by Anonymous

This is a gorgeous package of R&B, soul, country, and gospel inflected songs performed with a glowing warmth and spirit. The selection is varied and a little hit and miss, but every tune is given heart. All are short and sweet, in some cases a little too much so, but the whole thing is worth listening through being bookended by the trembling 'Cry to Me' and a cover of Jim Reeves' 'He'll Have to Go' that spins it a whole another direction. Cheers to the user who recommended this, it fills the '64 spot beautifully.

it's not that it just like i said has more to do with context, the listener's predisposition, her own ego, than any actual tangible quality of the music, except maybe lyrics
like any other attitude you may find in music it's just a question of, idk, empathy or willingness to accept it or something?
in a case like Liturgy call it "conviction" or "ambition", there now it's an upside

fuck me daddy

BTFO

how will /daily/ ever recover

What you described is at least what's become the trap of calling something pretentious--that it's all too easy to call any ambitious thing you don't like/understand pretentious (like Boyhood) because nobody can point to any concrete proof proving or disproving it. That would be an inappropriate use of the term. Now that doesn't mean it's not a real quality that can affect some works. Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music is a pretentious work of art. Supposedly he didn't even listen to it all before releasing it. Do you see how this is gives it an inflated sense of importance? Are we just supposed to ignore this quality in music because it's hard to talk about?

I think that pretension is an extension of the artist and not the art and that's were you and I disagree.

I also wouldn't even disagree that Swans are pretentious, but the idea that being pretentious is an inherently negative adjective or even relevant adjective when describing art is silly to me. It's 100% about the framing and almost never about the art. Think about what would've been called pretentious in the 70s, or hell, the 30s had that word been in popular use. Early jazz musicians literally called Bebop newcomers "hipsters" which I think is hilarious to think about now. The word had different meaning then but it's negative usage is in a similar manner.

It's 2015/16/17's version of saying "hipster" imo and not really constructive or relevant. Hell, I don't even care for that Blood Promise song hearing it now but I'm sticking by this.

Sorry if this reply has a lot of errors but I'm replying from mobile rn.

>he didn't even listen to it all before releasing it. Do you see how this is gives it an inflated sense of importance?
'fraid not to be honest. you could for sure argue it's lazy and samey and assume that pretention is the cause of that like look im lou reed whatever i do is a masterpiece but it's not directly what makes a bad album

well these guys listened to it and paid tribute
sounds like an improv take on music for 18 musicians. it's pretty cool

Was replying to Transgod that I agree with him.

Also, Liturgy is 100% pretentious but their music is not because art can never be pretentious. "Liturgy did X because they were pretentious" would be fine but "Liturgy's art is pretentious" is not. Maybe to most people it means the same thing but for some reason I seems to care about this a lot.

*hampus voice*

BEGONE THOT

Laughed audibly to this

The thing is, by definition, pretension implies a lack of substance to support ambition. This is negative. Ambitious is not a criticism, pretentious is.

I was only using Metal Machine Music as an example, Trans. Don't really care about it, I assume the interpretation has more value than the original though.

it's simple, we kill the batman

y'all replyin' to the wrong dude n shit gotdam -_-

now THIS is pretentious

which is why calling something pretentious is a completely empty assertion unless you can cite actual examples of the artist's self-important perception of his/her art (something that is rather difficult to do, given its almost never stated outright by the artists themselves) AND, if you make it that far, you actually pinpoint why the substance of the art comes short of that artist's perception

Again, you can read the rest of my review where I talk about reasons. If we only talk about art in empirical terms, we get not very far (and none of you want to talk about counterpoint and such anyway, let's be real)

you're pretentious

where the lie tho

Still no real duds on this chart imo.

AZ - Doe or Die

I only really know AZ for his verse on Illmatic and his connections to The Firm but I still knew exactly what to expect. It’s basically what you’d expect from a East Coast/NY rapper in the 90’s. Grimy boom bap beats, heavy subject matter and some solid rhymes.

AZ has this soft, almost whispery flow that works exceptionally with the simple production. He doesn’t quite have the same bite as some MCs from the era - but I still love this style so much that it doesn’t really hurt him. It isn’t the most unique style I’ve ever heard, it reminds me a bit of Cormega, but it works. His lyricism is really solid as well, he raps in this tongue-twisting style that doesn’t sound forced. He’s almost nonchalant about rapping - which I’ve grown to love. I greatly prefer it to dudes who make a big deal about their lines.

Anyway, this is solid all throughout. AZ doesn’t have the personality or unique style to make it a classic but it’s enjoyable from front to back.

3.5/5

Are you doing this in any particular order? If not you should try Souvlaki next.

>only ten days until let my children hear music
MMMMMMMM

i meant nine

I'm really looking forward to that one, I've heard great things! The whole jazz section is gonna be exciting.

boy is that pretentious

one of those was mine.....

>Maybe to most people it means the same thing but for some reason I seems to care about this a lot.
same. more than the actual definition i'm interested in what actually makes people close off from what they call pretentious (read: not necessarily what fits the definition perfectly) and stop taking it srsly (without having to resort to 2deep4u), and how you can suspend that cuz i jus' want peeps to keep an op'n mine about stuff like this but it's, ykno

what am i looking at

>what am i looking at
actually that's not the correct reaction at all

check em
and free ian watkins

ha ha... no way those sixes are mine, right...

benis

Sup Forums is way slower than i remember...

Fuck it they are mine

Raymond Scott - Manhattan Research, Inc
>Electronic, Space Age Pop, Fun

“It’s only 9:30 and I’m tired again - right down to my blood!”

Man, this is like Madlib’s wet dream, there’s so much for potential for sampling here. A bunch of little jingles and upbeat synth pieces, this is pretty much as easygoing as it gets. It exudes happiness man, it’s just irresistibly positive and happy-go-lucky. Basically possesses everything that makes this era of electronic music fun. This is just about as easy going as it gets. For the 50s and 60s this feels really ahead of its time, with Kraftwerk-esque instrumental cuts and such. “Rhythm Modulator”, “The Wild Piece” and “Night and Day” are all fucking out there for these decades so that was cool to hear. Also, “Limbo” was trippy as hell. Quite futuristic sounding as well.

That being said, the jingles, ads and infomercials start to get old kind of quickly. It’s cool to hear these novelty pieces at first, they’re so wholesome and positive. But the first disk is kind of packed with these things, as they’re more common than the actual instrumentals. Though it’s a compilation, it feels unnecessary to have so many of these snippets jammed into one listen. I can only hear about local auto and paper companies for so long before it gets obnoxious.

Anyway, it was still enjoyable, especially when it came to the instrumentals. I might return to the infomercial cuts if I were a producer but they were kind of a one-time listen in my mind. Certainly a cool concept and some great ideas though.

3/5

I only listen to popular music ironically.

youtube.com/watch?v=2iijmj5nB6I

youtu.be/7eKv4BEujFU

Spicy onions incoming.

>Paco de Lucia - Fuente y caudal

This is kind of a weird album, some tracks are solo guitar and some have a backing band or another guitar or people dancing/clapping/snapping in the background. The solo performances are a bit wanky and lacking in emotion, but the tracks that feature more people are boats of fun.

>Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam

Neo-psychedelia rarely sits well with me, and this isn't an exception. Most of this feels like it's trying way too hard to capture the surreal psychedelic feeling and the overbearing indieness gives me more of a headache than any of the noisiness. Sorry Fish-o.

s moves on

>Dirty Three - Ocean Songs

Pleasant, but dull. Not very memorable, the only track that sticks out in my memory is that cresendocore one early on. It works fine as background music I guess, but as far as active listening goes it's a chore. Post-rock is really not my thing.

>Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out

Nice and mellow late night music, it's like the musical equivalent of staying up too late to watch Seinfeld reruns. It's a bit long though, I think you could cut out twenty minutes and it would be the better for it. And the male vocalist gets on my nerves.

trip up owes me a rec

uh... that's not the right yo la tengo album but i actually like it more than painful so excellent

are there any second round restrictions

>painful - 6
ok
>ocean song - 4
sure
>yerself is steam - 5
images cannot even begin to properly convey my anger

Also what is this rick astley post and how is it autoplaying like that?

i mean, it's fine that you admittedly don't care for two of the genres you're reviewing but
>trying way too hard to capture the surreal psychedelic feeling
like what else should they be doing?

>Get three hours of sleep
>Look all over for the keys I have in my hands
>Forget to make a lunch
>Listen to the wrong album
>Look at the cover on the chart and still think I listened to the right album
>Then "review" the wrong album
>Dishonored my ancestors in a way that can only be cured by ritual suicide

fug :DDDDDD

I'll listen to the right album and score it correctly

But the second round rule is that it has to be under 100 ratings on RYM.

Explain the appeal to me, the only tracks I really liked were Syringe Mouth and Frittering

wait so i might not win darn

I would say it's very vaguely Neo-Psych and more noise-oriented pop. Maybe it's just not your thing, but I would at least give the opening track another listen, as the first time I heard it (granted it was a few years ago) was one of the most flooring and beautiful things ever.

fuck listening to Chasing a Bee right now and this is probably one of the most satisfying and textured pop songs ever made. And it's not even their best song (Something for Joey is xP )

I can totally see someone who is completely turned off by psychedelic music could be turned off by it though. Fair enough.

>textured
why did I use this word? I guess it makes sense in this context but it's not necessarily true. I like the layers in it but I retract this part. Everything else stands.

>Roxy Music - Avalon
Pretty fuckin' lame desu. It sounds like poorly executed soft rock to me. However, the sax lines and synths are bomb.

>Oren Ambarchi - Hubris
I don't know how to express how I feel about this album, as I'm not that good of a writer, except for one word. Wow.

Trip up and Darklands owe me reccs

you are simultaneously the best and worst trip

Hey NKC I'm listening to that Freddie Hubbard album you posted about yesterday; solid stuff. The trumpet is amazing but you're right, the keyboard and drums together are also highly commendable. God bless

do you have an rym so i know what you like

sicc

anna gardeck- bondage women
>death industrial, noise
so good. the obvious comparison is pharmakon, but gardeck is definitely better. really compelling, commanding rhythms and a satisfying variance in textures and sounds. the opera singing on the finale track was unexpected. that was interesting, but i'm not sure how well it worked. regardless, a great listen overall. recommended to fans of Pharmakon or anyone frustrated with the lack of structure to Noise albums.

no, here's this chart instead

Where do I even start? I think I ought to just write a review

What happened to Idris Ackamoor? I loved We Be All Africans. :/

how far you've come
what have you heard from sissy spacek/john wiese?

if i have to see another video of tom bradys stupid kid dabbing im gonna set myself on fire

uh how about
townes van zandt - s/t

>as the first time I heard it (granted it was a few years ago) was one of the most flooring and beautiful things ever
In a way, I'm kind of sad not everyone has had this experience. The first time I heard Chasing a Bee and it got TOO fucking loud it destroyed me.

no, just Set Your Friends On Fire xd

you have to understand, nyar has some p bad taste unless it comes to matters of grindcore or indie pop

good rec

was this for me? Because idk if I would say I'm "sad" for someone that doesn't like something like I do, but I distinctly remember the first time I heard Chasing a Bee and it was insane to me.

lmao

============

on another note, have you checked out Tribo Massáhi - Estrelando Embaixador yet? I have a dl if you need it.

I Would Set My Friends on Fire For You

Sike! I have no friends!

The repetition wore me out fiercely. I don't think it's a strictly bad record, but the length and style quickly bored me, and just as quick annoyed me.

I need a really smarmy reaction image right now

>corridor - le voyage éternel
bought this on a whim off bandcamp, and it kind of blew me away with how good it is. sounds like a poppier, french Women if they liked to hang out by the beach. the guitar work is, like all stuff in this style, angular and catchy, but where Women opted for noise, CORRIDOR like to dive into jangly indie-rock territory. great songs, great production, great poppy post-punk album. definitely check it out if you like women/telstar drugs/maybe even real estate

3.5+/5
i can be your friend

sike!

I need to revisit sissy spacek. After I got into noisecore with deep jew, I tried sissy again but it still didn't quite click. Not sure who John weise is

is this aqam