Admit it, hip hop is the only genre innovating right now. White people have lost. Niggas like Lil Yachty, Young Thug...

Admit it, hip hop is the only genre innovating right now. White people have lost. Niggas like Lil Yachty, Young Thug, & Future have taken over the white mans game.

Other urls found in this thread:

www98.zippyshare.com/v/dnapR2ef/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'll be honest hip hop atm is pretty boring and Trap is mostly vapid garbo. Danny Brown was a breath of fresh air with his strange post-punk instrumentals and Lil Yachty was interesting with his production on Lil Boat.

That's about it though.

But rap all sounds the same, OP.

Naw u just aint real cuh

1/10, try being more subtle next time

keep telling yourself that lmao

Honestly there are plenty of great artists in virtually every genre. This includes hip hop, but if you wanna prove that, you won't do it by bringing up Lil Yachty, Young Thug, & Future. I don't know why I took this bait.

who do you bring up then?

I know that OP is probably trolling, but it's also unironically true at the same time. Hip hop as a genre is technically far more open than other genres of music. Everything from Kanye West to Kendrick Lamar to Young Thug to Danny Brown to Death Grips is all hip hop, and all of these artists have made significant innovations in music this decade. Sure a lot of the most mainstream stuff is very vapid, but that has always been the case for whatever form of music is the most popular at any given moment.

The fact that the perennial Sup Forums meme artists of this decade have been hip hop ones in the form of Kanye and Death Grips (occasionally Danny Brown) is also indicative of this.

In fact, the change is becoming so vast that some of the older hip hop fans are starting to feel that the newer stuff isn't even hip hop!

Comparatively, rock music has been regurgitating the same tropes from the 70s and 80s, metal has been regurgitating stuff from the 90s, electronic music regurgitates everything from the 50s till 2000s and has failed to keep up with hip hop this decade, and who knows when's the last time classical, jazz, and traditional music had any legit innovation.

>Everything from Kanye West to Kendrick Lamar to Young Thug to Danny Brown to Death Grips is all hip hop
Tone of voice being different isn't being innovative.

Kendrick Lamar is the obvious choice. I know that's cliche but it's just so damn true. And then you have Danny Brown, who is pretty much every music critic's wet dream at this point. Chance the Rapper definitely has his moments, too. I wasn't a huge fan of Coloring Book, but I thought Acid Rap was great. It'll be interesting to see what he does next. And then you have Vince Staples, who focuses less on mind-blowing lyrics and more on making conceptual albums. I'd also mention YG, who is pretty much the modern iteration of the NWA/Deathrow sound of the 1990s. That's just what I think.

>White people have lost
>hip hop is the only genre innovating right now
Neither of those two statements make sense when you consider the fact that three white people ended the genre of hip-hop a decade and a half ago

I don't think hip hop is nearly as open and varied as rock music. Henry Cow, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads, Captain Beefheart, Sajjanu, King Crimson, Sweet Trip and Elvis are all rock music and I see much more variation there than in your listing of hip hop artists.

meant to reply to

This.

>copy what the south has been doing for a decade
>everyone calls it innovative

Big KRIT was right all along.

t h i s
h
i
s

>Doubting Big KRIT

>Tone of voice being different isn't being innovative.
It sure is in a genre where it's emphasized much more, and the change in tone is so wildly different than anything in rock.

Hip Hop can be all that, has been all that, and can be more because of what the genre entails.

Hip hop has Flying Lotus, which like the jazzy prog guys you listed, has many colorful timbres playing rhythmically and melodically complex works. The cool thing is that it's not all he does, he switches and flows musically through the aggressive more technical stuff into softer stuff. Far more versatile than muh TMR.

Hip hop has hard hitting tracks which are far more sexual, visceral, and energetic than anything Led Zeppelin or Elvis ever made while not having to rely on decades old blues tricks that LZ were actually regurgitating.

Hip hop has groups like Dalek and Death Grips which mess around with bits of metal and hardcore punk, whether in a more straightforward fashion like Sajjanu, or something entirely different depending on how the sounds are sampled.

Hip hop has cloud rap, which isn't limited to the sounds it can use to create its textured wall unlike the shoegaze of Sweet Trip.

I do wonder if things would've happened faster if a mainstay in the scene from waayyyyyy back like Kevin Gates didn't get arrested.

>peasants think rock and hip hop are the only genres
It's actually pop music that is pushing the envelope, and crossing new frontiers. HipHop may have been innovative a couple years ago, but now it all sounds the same and has stagnated. Rock is a sad joke compared to what it used to be

Rap + C = Crap

Taking various sounds from whatever's the hippest genre of music doesn't equate to pushing the envelope. Even less so when the latest sound in said genre (pop) was first done in 2008 (Lady Gaga) and it was always a revival/regurgitation of 80s stuff (it's all 80s electro pop revival, but with higher production fidelity)

Modern Rap all sounds the same; shitty Trap that may have been different 3 years ago but now it's fucking basic. You could argue that it's not even music, as it requires no musicianship, songwriting skills, or takent; it's the musical equivalent of "we got a black president we can do what we want XD". If you think modern rap is the most experimental/innovative shit out then you're a dumbass.

>Future
He's already on his way out.

>all modern rap is trap
Lmao. I see haters have to rely on the hasty generalization logical fallacy to get their point across. Fucking losers.

>all modern rap is trap
For the most part, it is.

I don't think you're really addressing my point. First of all, most of your comparisons are weak and don't really show that hip hop is more diverse. Secondly, you're making this about quality when I'm only talking about diversity.

shit I did it again. meant to reply to

Here you go.

www98.zippyshare.com/v/dnapR2ef/file.html

Keep up the illogical junk, my friend.

I pointed out examples of hip hop that approach stylistically ideas that are also approached by artists you posted while also showing how they are able to approach said ideas in ways not possible by rock. Again, those examples are a minuscule example of what hip hop has to offer.

Hip hop, along with plunderphonics, entail among the most versatile genres because of the approach towards composition that are taken here. Any kind of sound or combination of sounds can be used. Hip hop may beat plunderphonics since it doesn't have to be strictly samples. Other forms of more "electronic music" driven by grooves is limited by having to maintain that groove in a particular fashion, meanwhile hip hop doesn't have those rules (again, look at Dalek or Death Grips with implementation of blast beats.)

The only thing in rock that can come close to such exploration and diversity in sounds is post-punk, and post-punk can only achieve so by being as far away from rock as possible.

You're mixing up rap and hip hop. Not all rappers make their own beats and I'm pretty sure a lot of the artists you listed in the OP (if you are OP) don't. Young Thug's backing music being innovative (which I can't say for sure as I haven't listened to any of his stuff) doesn't mean that Young Thug is innovative.

I like sampling. I try and find music all the time that uses sampling a lot in it. But I don't think most hip hop beats I hear is anything I'd call innovative.

why is texture the main thing you value in this topic? you seem to think that what makes a genre diverse is how many different sounds there are, regardless of composition or anything else.

>you're mixing up rap and hip hop
What? The genre of music is called hip hop. Rapping is one of things that entail the genre (though rapping was also a thing in jazz before hip hop.)

>Not all rappers make their own beats
So? We are talking in the context of hip hop here. Hip hop is both the rapping and the backing arrangement. In fact the concept of sampling and breaks came before the rapping in hip hop.

>But I don't think most hip hop beats I hear is anything I'd call innovative.
>I like sampling
What kind of a sampling fan are you if the sheer ambition and approach to sampling technique of records like Paul's Boutique, 3 Feet High And Rising, Endtroducing, and really any J Dilla work aren't apparent to you? People that sample, but don't do hip hop specifically will tell you how intricate these records are.

>What kind of a sampling fan are you if the sheer ambition and approach to sampling technique of records like Paul's Boutique, 3 Feet High And Rising, Endtroducing, and really any J Dilla work aren't apparent to you?
You're not even paying attention to your own thread. You know, the one in which you're claiming Young Thug and Lil Yachty are innovative? I'm talking about recently, not in the 90s. Young Thug is not DJ Shadow.

I have already said otherwise, repeatedly giving examples of everything from Flying Lotus' crazy schizo beats to the straight up metal of Dalek/Death Grips to more common hip hop to say otherwise. It's why I keep saying that the sounds can be manipulated to be used in any way possible.

The only thing hip hop loses out to when compared to rock music is the depth of harmonic progressions usually in more artsy/progressive bands, but at that point, why aren't you just listening to classical music if that's the kind of depth you want as it does so better than rock?

>You're mixing up rap and hip hop.
>(though rapping was also a thing in jazz before hip hop.)

Toasting, chatting (rap in other parts of the Anglo Caribbean), or deejaying is the act of talking or chanting, usually in a monotone melody, over a rhythm or beat by a deejay. Traditionally, the method of toasting originated from the griots of Caribbean calypso and mento traditions.[1]

Toasting has been used in various African traditions, such as griots chanting over a drum beat, as well as in the United States and Jamaican music forms, such as ska, reggae, dancehall, and dub; it also exists in Grime and Hip Hop coming out of the United Kingdom, which typically has a lot of Caribbean influence.

>all these white boys vehemently defending rap
So one day your wife's bull lets you borrow TPAB now you're all wiggers?

kek

Have you actually ever listened to the Lil Boat tape all the way through

>I have already said otherwise, repeatedly giving examples of everything from Flying Lotus' crazy schizo beats to the straight up metal of Dalek/Death Grips to more common hip hop to say otherwise. It's why I keep saying that the sounds can be manipulated to be used in any way possible.
you're just furthering your point about different sounds hip hop artists achieve, not at all about variety of composition/structure or literally anything else. you just keep repeating how hip hop artists can get crazy sounds. that's not nearly as diverse or impressive as you think it is. also, Death Grips and Dalek dont sound like "straight metal." They have harsh sounds but, save from Giving Bad People Good Ideas, they aren't really related to metal.

>You're not even paying attention to your own thread.
>still thinking I am OP for some reason when he started talking to me on my first post in this thread

>You know, the one in which you're claiming Young Thug and Lil Yachty are innovative? I'm talking about recently, not in the 90s. Young Thug is not DJ Shadow.
Kanye West, along with the others I have mentioned (Dalek, Death Grips, Flying Lotus) are all innovative and trendsetters.

>you're just furthering your point about different sounds hip hop artists achieve, not at all about variety of composition/structure or literally anything else.
Most of the tracks on Jenny Death by Death Grips have a structure more akin to noise rock than what's traditionally considered hip hop. Flying Lotus' work tends to range from structureless freeform chaos to funky grooves. There's definitely variety.

>that's not nearly as diverse or impressive as you think it is.
It is though especially when taking into consideration combinations of sounds. This is a further exploration of arrangements and natures of tones that first started in the early Baroque era with Vivaldi. The interaction of different sounds traveling in and out in different ways is where the innovation is at since traditional instruments are being transcended.

>save from Giving Bad People Good Ideas
Oh, so the things like breakdown in The Powers The B or the entirety of I've Seen Footage is traditional breaks filled hip hop and not centered around riffs?

>Most of the tracks on Jenny Death by Death Grips have a structure more akin to noise rock than what's traditionally considered hip hop. Flying Lotus' work tends to range from structureless freeform chaos to funky grooves. There's definitely variety.
those are a couple of outliers. also a couple things about flylo; his work isn't freeform, and he's kind of barely hip hop.
>It is though especially when taking into consideration combinations of sounds. This is a further exploration of arrangements and natures of tones that first started in the early Baroque era with Vivaldi. The interaction of different sounds traveling in and out in different ways is where the innovation is at since traditional instruments are being transcended.
but you're not talking about arrangements, you're just talking about textures in beats. the different textures of hip hop beats is not really comparable to Vivaldi or any classical really.
>Oh, so the things like breakdown in The Powers The B or the entirety of I've Seen Footage is traditional breaks filled hip hop and not centered around riffs?
Riffs and heaviness aren't exclusive to metal.

>those are a couple of outliers.
Still doesn't make my original point of what hip hop is capable of wrong.

>his work isn't freeform
His shorter, crazy tracks are essentially free jazz but in electronic form, what are you talking about?

>and he's kind of barely hip hop.
He's instrumental hip hop for sure, even if you want to go with the genre label of "wonky", he's certainly on the hip hop end of it due to how much his sound is influenced by the organic J Dilla style.

>but you're not talking about arrangements
I literally said "any kind of sound OR COMBINATION OF SOUNDS". It's the very first thing you seem to have replied to of mine in this topic.

> the different textures of hip hop beats is not really comparable to Vivaldi or any classical really.
I very specifically chose Vivaldi as an example because he made a lot of the arrangement styles popular that are now common place in classical music, and his initial conceptualization of these arrangements was based just on how these different sounds interact, even when some may be playing the same exact note.

>Riffs and heaviness aren't exclusive to metal.
>Heavy riffs aren't metal
...what? That's literally what makes metal a unique genre in of itself. There's a reason even when bands like Beatles made songs around heavy sounding riffs, they were labeled metal (Helter Skelter, I Want You She's So Heavy)

>Most of the tracks on Jenny Death by Death Grips have a structure more akin to noise rock than what's traditionally considered hip hop.

So Death Grips are closest to nu-metal. Makes sense.

>nu metal
>like noise rock
What?

Anyway I am going to sleep. Got class in eight hours. You guys need to do more research on music.

Little Yachty is trash, so is Young Thug and Future

RETARDS
ATTEMPTING
POETRY

>repetitive ebonics over drum machine.
Yeah no.