If miles davis farted on record people would say it was a forward thinking innovation that changed the face of music

if miles davis farted on record people would say it was a forward thinking innovation that changed the face of music

no they wouldn't.

Not true: His 80s and 90s music is almost universally disliked.

why he look like he gonna drop something heavy on the detonator

l o l, he had a handful of lukewarm receptions in that period, which on his record I guess accounts to relative "universal dislike"

>Star people: universal acclaim
>Decoy: critical acclaim
>Tutu: universal acclaim
>Amandla: universal acclaim
>Aura: universal acclaim
>Doo-bop: critical acclaim

Davis made some shitty music which rightfully has lukewarm to bad reputation. The classic stuff is praised for good reason

i'm sure he would do it with great skill and style
in a silent way

Not really but at the same time you are acting as if the fact that he is Miles Davis doesn't mean anything. This man was a musical revolutionary.

better assume everything he did is somehow worthy of overt praise or risk looking stupid then

Not specific to Miles; critics are just dumb like that

Not what I'm saying. I'm just saying I wouldn't dismiss something so readily if it came from someone who has so consistently created great work.

I certainly would

That nigger sure knows how to blow a trumpet.

Miles' fusion albums are great and they got relegated to a footnote because jazz snobs treat music like an accessory and they couldn't easily brag about how they can distinguish the virtuosity of the playing while name dropping every musician on the record and the idea of a black person alluding even vaguely to drug use is apparently a big no-no even though rock musicians do it all the time and half the audience is the same

i mean his albums after bitches brew not the ones before which i guess are also "jazz fusion" but if you've heard the two side by side they're not even in the same universe

name even one thing this chocolade man was innovative with

Miles Davis has a large, swarthy, watermelon smile. He was a friendly nigger.

You're thinking about Chuck Berry

Yeah, but could he get away with pissing in the listeners ears?

Favorite Miles records are Bitches Brew, Get Up With It, Agharta, Live Evil, On the Corner and Dark Magus

I'm not a huge fan of Miles, but if you know how to play jazz, you should be able to recognize that Miles developed so many musical skills by simply playing/improvising/composing for as long as he did.

I suggest you get a reality check and try to start at the beginning by improvising over a blues chart if you think music is really that simple.

fpbp

not OP but kind of blue is mind-bogglingly overrated and mysteriously hailed as the quintessential jazz album

Kind of Blue is good, but Dave Brubeck's Time Out and Mingus Ah Um are definitely zestier 1959 jazz albums

miles looks like a hired assassin

time out is boring garbage

ur boring

It's way more up on its heels than Kind of Blue in my opinion

I don't think anyone is denying that Davis was talented, only that he gets extremely unwarranted praise for work which doesn't deserve it simply because he did do a lot of great things.

In A Silent Way is literally just an extended jam around a handful of what are quite frankly boring themes. I don't think you or anyone else could explain why it deserves such high praise without falling back on tired buzzwords like "influential" or "innovative", like the fact that Davis was
a) famous, and
b) doing something new
are inherently worthy of praise. It's to miss a much more important question - is it good. Yes, it was new. Yes, it was influential. Can you really say that looking back on Davis's contribution to jazz fusion that this record stands up to par at fucking all with the real pinnacles of the genre, or even Bitches Brew which he released not even a year later? This record, which is basically an artistic warm up to the actual thing, still gets praised heaped upon it by people parroting the opinions of often clueless critics. They act as if this record was the genesis of jazz fusion, ambient music, fuck, some people even compare it to first wave post-rock. It's a joke.

PS. Improvising over a blues chart is legitimately piss easy. Most first year guitar players can do that.

>They act as if this record was the genesis of jazz fusion, ambient music, fuck, some people even compare it to first wave post-rock. It's a joke.

What's wrong with any of this?

I think you're just trying to be edgy, duder.

But hear me out...what if there was a musician that was way better than Miles...

Mingus > Coltrane > Davis

Hancock>>>>>>>>>>>>>Davis>Coltrane>The List Goes On

>He was a friendly nigger.
no he wasn't
go read a little about him that nigger was a huge prick

Chuck Berry already did that and nobody thought he was innovative