Fuck Trump because we need to be relevant again

>Fuck Trump because we need to be relevant again

youtube.com/watch?v=UpuaPfOuxB0

Will Depeche Mode ever be as good as when Alan Wilder was in the band?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jsCR05oKROA
nme.com/news/music/depeche-mode-share-comeback-single-open-new-album-spirit-1966304#TjbeCdW4YDkItJD0.99
youtube.com/watch?v=xcftyy9dtnQ&index=1&list=PLPwPdfsfcDCVRo2ouconTd-PEOK9_Wfeo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=urbmwI8APdo
youtube.com/watch?v=slZDjsER-YE
youtube.com/watch?v=OL8Wqe-QWM8
youtube.com/watch?v=65QF7H6l424
rollingstone.com/music/features/depeche-modes-dave-gahan-on-urgent-new-lp-bowie-influence-w462560
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This whole anti-Trump thing is so contrived and such a lame cash-in. I automatically question the authenticity of any artist who writes songs like these. ESPECIALLY if they are not American.

>people disliking something???
>it must be fake!!
Really?

Agree 100%.

I don't use Bandcamp anymore for the same reason. If they want to be anti-Trump, let them. I'll give my money to artists and bands who can keep their political opinions to themselves.

There's a video now
youtube.com/watch?v=jsCR05oKROA

Between the shitty new Arcade Fire and Gorillaz signles, this was definitely the better song

After 8 years of anti-Bush songs from so many edgy artists, I can't deal with artists doing the same thing for Trump as it just comes off as worn out

I know, I've seen it.

It's a good video, but very political.

Also they've aged. Fuck.

>video starts with jews
>remainder of video is commie worship on a commieblock background
this shit is so blatant it becomes subtle

The video is about nationalism and has a lot of Brexit vibes/tones, "patriotic junkie" and all.

>we need to be relevant again
>album is a guaranteed #1
>upcoming tour mostly sold-out

Well, it's Depeche Mode. They've sold over 100 million albums and been around for 37 years..

REACH OUT AND GRAB PUSSY

>I don't use Bandcamp anymore for the same reason
this is just petty

>artist speaks pro trump
Wow so based and redpilled
>artist speak against trump
wow why cant artists keep politics outside of music, degenerate numales ruin everything

It takes more balls to go against the tide

how is being pro trump against the tide?

pretty sure they never mentioned trump once

why do trump supporters assume the song is about trump?

going from the lyrics and tone you could just as easily say it was a pro-trump song

Because when you're in a business where almost 90% of people are constantly virtual signalling, it takes some balls to go against that

if 90% of people disapprove of trump then you've got a serious problem, haven't you

becuz muh libreal media xD

>Their forthcoming LP ‘Spirit’ will be released on March 17, and was produced by Simian Mobile Disco’s James Ford.

>Frontman Dave Gahan also spoke about the new record and said the US election affected the outcome.

>He told Rolling Stone: “We’re living in a time of real change. As I get older, the things going on in the world affect me more. I think about my kids and what they’re growing up into. My daughter, Rosie, was deeply affected by the election last year. … She just sobbed, and I was like, ‘Wow.’

>“Martin [Gore] and I both live in America, so we’re both very affected by what goes on. Martin said to me, ‘I know to some people, this will come off as rich rock stars living in their big houses in Santa Barbara with not a care in the world, and it’s true that we’re very fortunate. But that doesn’t mean you stop caring about what’s going on in the world. It’s really affecting me.’ And I said, ‘I understand. I feel the same’.”

nme.com/news/music/depeche-mode-share-comeback-single-open-new-album-spirit-1966304#TjbeCdW4YDkItJD0.99

90% of people in the entertainment industry numbnuts

again, please show me where they say the song is about trump

and is that what you use to measure 'the tide'?

The album is about Trump you dumb autist, if you can't get that from that snippet then you're a waste of time.

oh wow ok
well you seem quite keen on making it about trump so sure, have it

t. autist

Rarely any actors or musicians have come out in support of Trump because they know they'll be vilified or even blacklisted in extremely liberal Hollywood.
MSM will also run stories like "Musician is a Trump supporter! Is he a racist?"

not surprising that you have a terrible attitude to mental illness, having a mentally ill president and all

why would a musician care about how they are viewed in hollywood?

it sucks

Because if they're famous. it'll be posted in numerous news sites and that might damage ticket and merchandise sales

If Chris Martin came out in support of Trump, It'll definitely be everywhere and cause a lot of controversy.

and why do you think it would be controversial exactly?

Because our society is still so goddamn Politically Correct that anyone that goes against their agenda is a racist Nazi

anyone who goes against society's agenda? what do you mean?

I thought somebody an heroed in Depecheeee Modeeeee?

>tfw DM thread on Sup Forums
>tfw nobody will really talk about their music

Y liv bros?

LIKE A HALO IN REVERSE

fag

Songs of Faith and Devotion is their best album

literally god tier

youtube.com/watch?v=xcftyy9dtnQ&index=1&list=PLPwPdfsfcDCVRo2ouconTd-PEOK9_Wfeo

>i can post my political opinions but other people shouldn't

Yes but how is it even possible to push this agenda if the most powerful person in the country is a conservative? Could there be some kind of conspiracy involved?

>support candidate for election
>band starts trashing candidate for whatever reason

It really is quite annoying. Imagine if all these bands started singing about how Hillary should've won. Would you not be a little pestered then? Kys redditors

it doesn't make a scrap of difference what an artist i like thinks
i like arca, atcq, dm, boyd rice

so fucking what

Ok, I'm going to offer a different interpretation of the song/video, especially the video.

I think it's a criticism of the infatuation the "left" has with Marxism and Leninism. Did you say how goofy they looked at 3' mark. Then there's also the reference to Mussolini's trains. Comparing extremist Marxism to Facism without invoking Nazis. That's on purpose and it's pretty clever.
The video (with the practically nonexistent crowd) suggests that the more radical stances leftist leadership has been taking over the years has alienated their core support (it has; Leave winning, Rise of Le Pen, Dems losing some 1200+ government seats since 2010). Then there's also the "C'mon people, you're letting me (the leader) down", indicating the lack of responsibility these leaders have taken at their own failings (Corbin stealing Labour power after Remain lost, Democrats persistently blaming stupid people for electing Trump rather than just fucking beating him with a better run campaign).

Now, in no way am I saying it can't be something else, but given what I've heard and read of them over many years, I think it's a valid interpretation.

Song is a little boring though. Not a ton going on musically.

And, if you haven't go look up videos of Lenin giving speeches.
There's no question in my mind that's what Dave's movements are suppose to mimic. I'll see if I can find a good one if this thread is still up after class.

quality post, i saw some of this too and alluded to it earlier but you explained it better, plus a couple of things i missed

It's growing on me a little after around 10 listens now. What are your top 3 favourite Depeche mode albums?

black celebration
music for the masses
some great reward

Some of the lyrics feel like they're tailor made to criticize Trump voters, but then they also could be directed at voters on the Left. I'm now recalling that whole scandal with Tony Blair and "fed truths" and I think the plural is pretty funny yeah.
Delta Machine, probably. Broken may be my all time favorite track.
This version especially:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=urbmwI8APdo

I'm not really diggin the song much, but I'm kinda liking the video a lot.
The lyrics are good, the music is just kinda dull.
Glad to see Gahan can still sing.

Err, top 3.
Delta Machine
Violator (sorry for plebcore)
Playing the Angel is a pretty strong contender for me as well.

I swear, liberals will ensure America never runs out of salt.

You have to be retarded if you think this song is about Trump.

This is fucking Depeche Mode, they dont give a fuck about that.

you need to separate the art from the artist
trust me i met some artists they can think some pretty stupid shit

Patrician taste

Violator
SOFAD
MFTM

>Delta Machine
What really

Black Celebration
Violator
Songs Of Faith And Devotion

The GOATest 3 album streak in synthpop, ever.

>tfw popular Canadian band releases an album with a number of political songs about America and then in the age of youtube, blocks their videos from being viewed in Canada
Yeah, everyone in the world looks down on the US, so I don't understand when other countries have to release music protesting them, we can't fix your country for you

Top 20 Depeche Mode Songs

20 Nothing
19 The Darkest Star
18 But Not Tonight
17 Sister of Night
16 Everything Counts
15 Higher Love
14 Fly on the Windscreen
13 Halo
12 Walking in My Shoes
11 Home
10 Behind the Wheel
9 Precious
8 It's No Good
7 Blasphemous Rumours
6 World in My Eyes
5 Shake the Disease
4 Stripped
3 Enjoy the Silence
2 In Your Room
1 Never Let Me Down Again

trump does affect the whole world though and this song is definitely aimed at the audience

>Now, I don't wanna start any scandalous rumours
>But I think that Gore has a wicked sense of humour.

I agree that it isn't "about Trump", but it is overtly political. And to say Trump/Brexit had no influence on them during the creative process is silly famalam.
It's also worth noting for muh Trump people that they had been working on this probably with the assumption Hillary would win. Dunno about the single, but I predict that it's not gonna gel with the rest of the album.

>Everything Counts
>no Master & Servant (101)
>Enjoy the Silence
>yet, no Policy of Truth

Great list overall.
It's really missing Get the Balance Right, and Everything Counts needs to fuck off, that's my only real dislike.

>tfw this is their worst song since 1981
youtube.com/watch?v=slZDjsER-YE

Name a more comfy musical career:

>Go from banal pop to writing about masochism, god, everything under the sky
>GOAT use of rock and blues elements
>Huge stable fanbase, and i mean HUGE
>Because of that, every concert is at full capacity in every stadium they go, so they rarely have to promote their albums in tv shows, just record the album and go perform
>Not famous enough between normies, so they can walk freely even in USA
>Gahan almost died in the 90's because of its lifestyle but now lives peacefully
>Gore from being a sadomasochist leather fag to dadcore
>Fletcher only had to glue the other parts of the band together, and be calm leg of the group

DM truly is pleb filter

THE TURNING POINT
OF A CAREER
IN KOREA
BEING INSINCERE

Exciter might have been weak but I seriously adore this song.

youtube.com/watch?v=OL8Wqe-QWM8

yeah this

That album had pretty good singles but the rest is filler

>tfw album version of Freelove isn't on YouTube

>What really
Yeah, what's wrong with it? It has maybe two meh tracks, but everything is very good. I'm not even sure if I'd even give one of their albums a perfect score (maybe MFTM, MAYBE), and they're easily in my top 3 favorite artists.

It's their best album to listen to while drunk and depressed, too. But that's not really why I like it.

DM after Ultra feels really uninspired, Playing the Angel had some fantastic tracks, but the rest is just ok by their standards

Solid list and very good top ten.

This guy knows his shit, but you have to put Personal Jesus always, even if you dont want to.

It's not about what they think, it's if they try to sell off it by including their shitty opinions in their songs. ie. Green Day

Is this industrial?
youtube.com/watch?v=65QF7H6l424

>Personal Jesus
It's a great track, but I find it slightly overrated compared to their other singles

>its (Dave's) lifestyle
Even if this was a typo (I hope not) TOP KEK.

But yeah, they're pretty great.
The size and composition of their fanbase is still baffling to me, having been to concerts.

does it matter though if it's done poetically? i can still get something out of art even though i might not agree with the message
i think dm in the 80s were really good at using plain english but with an ambiguity or double meaning and they made a lot of political tracks back then, all of them are wry and smart, a bit like kurt vonnegut

green day are just shit though

It's cause Alan Wilder was based as a producer. He made them go from a 3 star band to a 4 star band by making the music more layered, complex, stadium and cinematic-sounding -- that went with the themes of degrading sex, religion and drugs. Their music sounded pretty powerful back in the late 80s to mid 90s. Even Flood continued that trend producing Ultra, while albeit slightly weaker than Violator and SOFAD, it was still great.

Ultra wasn't produced by Flood.

>The size and composition of their fanbase is still baffling to me, having been to concerts.

>And I think that's why Depeche Mode appeals to a lot of people. Somehow it's comforting, like, 'You're not alone.' You're not, of course. None of us are. But music is the thing that crosses all boundaries and brings odd people together."

>It's a sentiment that also echoed last year when it was announced that Depeche Mode were nominated for the first time to enter the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but ultimately didn't make it. "We're not just part of the fabric, and I'm proud of that," he says. "We stick out as being something that's a little bit odd. We knew we weren't going to get up there with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but someone wrote something like, 'They're a band wearing eyeliner, writing pervy songs about twisted, weird, depressing subjects.'
>"I took that as a massive compliment," he continues. "Because we are a little odd, and we've always appealed to the odd out there, the odd in the world. Our fans and the people like ourselves are a squad that maybe didn't quite feel right hanging out with others. We're a little awkward, a little nerdy, a little different. We found each other and it became a gang." He laughs, looking proud. "And it's a pretty big gang now."

rollingstone.com/music/features/depeche-modes-dave-gahan-on-urgent-new-lp-bowie-influence-w462560

Turns out there's a lot of weird people out there.

Why does almost every DM song until Exciter end with a fade out?

Bump

Then why did Alan Wilder completely fail to produce a listenable solo project?

Top 10 Depeche Mode albums

1. Songs of Faith and Devotion
2. Violator
3. Music for the Masses
4. Ultra
5. Black Celebration
6. Playing the Angel
7. Some Great Reward
8. Delta Machine
9. Sounds of the Universe
10. Speak and Spell

Because the artists he worked with were shit.

bloodline is half really good, drop a few tracks and it's a solid 9/10

His production is great, but it needs a good band to go with it. That's why him + DM = Amazing.

this
him + flood + martin ^ dave / fletch
best band ever

You've been kept down
You've been pushed 'round
You've been lied to
You've been fed truths
Who's making your decisions
You or your religion
Your government, your countries
You patriotic junkies

You've been pissed on
For too long
Your rights abused
Your views refused
They manipulate and threaten
With terror as a weapon
Scare you till you're stupefied
Wear you down until you're on their side

Where's the revolution
Come on people
You're letting me down
Where's the revolution
Come on people
You're letting me down

Think for yourself and have the courage to act on your beliefs

Politics has a lot to do with practically everything though.

Only to you uniforms.

Black Celebration
Violator
MftM/SOFAD

Tracks:
Never Let Me Down Again
Stripped
Enjoy the Silence

Give me a fucking break

What's the revolution for? Supporting people who don't obey the law and steal peoples' identity, fucking their entire lives over? Against free speech of people to vote for whoever they choose?

Corporatepunk cash-ins at its finest. What a joke.

Holy shit, you're me. Great fucking taste dude.

Well, you know
We all want to change the world

salty Sup Forumsacks reported pic related and was deleted

Trump just got in you fucking idiot. Hes been POTUS for like a month
The 8 year stretch we had to suffer when the nigger was in the house is what he means
In the past 8 years society has become this facist left wing power tripping psychopathic monster
Faggotry and race relations are what runs our society
bunch of victim claiming fuck tards who are trying to bring down our societys values

>tfw ATCQ

>societys values
what are "societys values" ?