/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General

We Are All Friends Edition, So Be Nice Please

>How do I start learning guitar?
Buy one and watch youtube videos to get started playing songs you like.

>Guitar chords and inversions
Learn open chords and barre chords shapes and you're good.

>String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
Literally who the fuck cares?

>Music theory
Learn the Major Scale and it's different shapes, learn the intervals.

>Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
Nobody actually plays bass in real life, only on the internet.

>Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
Steve is a meme. Just fucking play what you like.

>Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
Wash your hair, hippy and brush your damn teeth.

>Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
Git good faggots

>Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
No one in any of these threads ever has ever clicked this shit.

>Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>/gg/
>Jazz

>Impulse Response Pack
Literally what? What the hell is this shit? Probably some malware shit.

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/msg/5975523960.html
vocaroo.com/i/s1bRHw8X2Cw9
youtube.com/watch?v=SVFU4qc7nhs
youtube.com/watch?v=i98v54fPYxU&spfreload=5
youtu.be/FpYJBrZDRLg
youtu.be/B72ZvE6bOOg
danadler.com/misc/Cycles.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=JNEnzNHTkd8&index=35&list=PLZU1NdVSGzhiG2Rbur5g98yh2vHDV0D5D
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not your fucking friend
also Gibson lol

minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/msg/5975523960.html

first for memes

I always laugh when I see some dumb 19 year old buying a guitar. It's like why, you dumb fuck? Why waste your time and money? You don't know guitar based music is deader than horse shit? What the fuck do you think's going to happen? Why do you think everybody in their late 20s and early 30s stops playing in bands? Go take a look at the lineups of all the popular music festivals these days. What's the average age of most of those bands? Why do you think that is? I'll tell you why: because being poor as shit is only fun when you're a stupid ass kid. Just as soon as your peer group moves on to adult pursuits you look fucking retarded playing the "cool kid who plays in a band". Trust me, when all your family and friends have stable jobs, kids, and nice houses your "artistic poverty" playing shitshows out of an old dilapidated rust covered van won't measure up anymore. It's like.. think about what your doing, you dumb little shit. What are you trying to achieve? Do you really think you'll be one of the lucky few who'll wins the lottery and has a successful career in music? I mean, really? Do you really think you're talented and smart enough to succeed in the music industry? Are you fucking stupid?

And don't give me all that "I do it for myself" bullshit either. lol, no fuck you don't. You're doing it in the hopes that one day it'll garner you some peer recognition, you're hoping it'll help you climb up socially one day. You do it because you're a fucking loser who wants to desperately escape the societal pecking order you feel has marginalized you. Name a famous guitarist who started off wealthy. Oh, you can't? That's who you think you are, loser. You want that same success and you know it. Only problem with your plan is noone cares because guitar music doesn't matter anymore

Go to school, get a real job, and stop wasting your time trying to score "cool points" with other impressionable moron kids like you. You ain't gonna make it, you fucking idiot

Get a fucking clue

/gg/ challenge resurrection sub-edition

Join us on the /gg/ challenge:
>Create a short guitar tab (preferably in E Standard so more people will join), don't put any rhythm information on it, just the notes to be played
>Alternatively, if there's already a tab posted (either on the OP or replies), just use that one
>Record your interpretation
>Post it on vocaroo or clyp.it and check how everybody else plays their own versions

With a white or cream pickguard, this new baritone squier jazzie would be perfect.

>STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE!
neck yourself

Pls no mor pasta am ful

>*wrap wrap wrap*
>*echo echo echo*
>weeew listen to that Tonewood ® Wow
>oh, hey user, didn't see you there
>wow, I just pulled this fine specimen from the PRS Tone Library ®, listen to that even the same pitch all over the body
>*knock knock knock*
>wow
>oh, whats that user, your guitar is made of alder? Thats too bad. That is not a tonewood.
>I have all the tonewoods here in my ToneVault ®.
>Nope, sorry user, the Tones belong to me and my PRS Private Reserve® customers only
>I'm afraid your guitar doesn't qualify

welcome to /gg/

vocaroo.com/i/s1bRHw8X2Cw9

Currently trying to get Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others down properly. Am I on the right track, Sup Forums? Excuse the shit quality.

How one is supposed to be able to figure the chords to this?
It's supposed to be in Gb Major or Mixolydian (actually played in G tuned half step down) but right on the start the chords are of Gb minor, what the hell

youtube.com/watch?v=SVFU4qc7nhs

Is it true?
i'm depressed and reading that guitar music is dead on /gg/ is making me feel real bad

Don't listen to copy pasta, don't stop what you enjoy doing, you'll hate yourself if you give it up.

Sounds like a chord cycle moving through 4ths or some shit, I don't know, I don't have my guitar in front of me.

Stop making me hate Paul Reed Smith. These fucking memes have made me go from wanting to have a beer with him to wanting to smash him with a lightweight but resonant mahogany baseball bat.

Who /strandberg/ here?

>t. necrophiliac
gross dude

First 4 chords are E E4 D D4

>>>"berg"

Anyone know if the new Fender Mustang 90 is any good? I wanna do twinkly emo melodies and shoegaze.

>started playing guitar when I was a teenager
>seemed like a cool way to express yourself musically
>got really good
>considered accomplished even by professionals I sometimes associate with
>as I mature musically I realize writing guitar based music is rudimentary, simplistic and creatively limited compared to the infinite possibilities a laptop based DAW offers now
>as I mature musically I slowly realize how uninteresting most guitar based music actually is
>as I mature socially I come to realize most people have long since stopped caring about guitar based music too
>mfw guitar might as well be an accordion or a harpsichord now
>pic related: mfw I know in my heart I wasted my time on this instrument
>mfw I wish I could have all that time I wasted back
don't end up like me kids, save yourselves from my fate

You sound like a really boring person, user.

>wanting to have a beer with that asshole

He'd probably insult you the entire time in the form of jokes no one but him thinks is funny.

>Paul!
>Hey, Paul!!
>Please, sign my guitar!
>Please!!
>PLEASE!!
>PAUL!!!!!
>PAUL!!! PAUL!!!
>PLEASE SIGN MY GUITAR!!!!!!!
>PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUL!!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=i98v54fPYxU&spfreload=5

damn this shit made me kek hard

rude

Is he a bit of a shitdick then? I've seen a couple of interviews with him and he was quite cordial in both of them.

>Is he a bit of a shitdick then?

You haven't watched enough. He's cringe city half the time. There have been several interviews I had to turn off. I couldn't finish, it was too painful to watch him be an ass and think he's being funny.

am I the only one who thinks this album art is cringy ugly shit?

looks like that slipknot signature guitar

yeah, it's one of my least favorite King Crimson albums, in terms of music but it's a godly cover

I usually complain about people who make "le silly face" face xDDdd when playing but this time it fits the video so well.

Finally someone gets it. The only reason guitarists dont think guitar music is dead is because theyre so out of the loop on whats actually going on in the world.

Turn on the radio kids(the thing that plays music in your parents car) and turn to any and every station and listen. Youll probably find 4 stations out of 30 that have any guitar, 2 rock stations(at least one of which will be for nostalgia), a country station and a soft rock/adult/college/pop station. One of the rock stations will play music for dads and people are are about to die, one will play music for trashy highschool drop outs and teenagers that still wear trip pants. The other 2 will literally only have the guitar there so there are chords behind the vocals. You could replace them with a piano or even a synthesized guitar and nobody would even notice or care.

Smash him you fucking pussy

>>Impulse Response Pack
I have this shit downloaded from before, but never bothered to try it. What do? Do i need some special VST to use it?

That bass looks fucking huge.

>what is XM radio

>strandberger
>aspberger
No mere coincidence

>I only like artistic endeavors that's popular at the moment!

Satellite radio. A shitty pay service that has less options than youtube. Why would you pay to not be able to listen to what you want? Do you prefer being told what to like?

>i dont like typing sentences that make sense

>Asperger

Tbh I think ola strandberg has aspergers

youtu.be/FpYJBrZDRLg

Thats right figured it

E E4
D D4
C# C#4
C#4 G
E A

Then comes distortion (bass roots):
Db Gb
Gb B
E A
G B
Ab Db

Gb (hold) then Gb7/Gb mixolydian) scale run

Solo. Repeat for chorus
(When it seems to actually goes Gb major). Just bass roots again

B Bb Ab Gb E G-A-B D-Gb

Verse:

E A E A G D
E A E A G D - Hold Gb

What can we learn from it?

Any impulse loader, like NadIR.
Also turn off any other cab simulation unless you want it to sound really muffled and shitty

what's the point of high action?
it just seems inconvenient and proper shit

Paul signed my guitar

I listen to music as a hobby in most of my free time. I started learning guitar to make music I like. I'm going to school to be a software engineer, guitar is a hobby.

>be me
>driving through shithole known as Jacksonville, FL
>have to piss
>pull off into rural hayseed nightmare known as "Wal-Mart"
>walk in
>southern white trash hamplanets, niggers, unwashed spics, etc.
>"Welcome to the Jungle" literally starts playing

Oh, yeah. Rock music is where all the energy's at right now! lmao

>I don't have a counter argument so I'll just pretend he's dumb

|------------0------------------0-----------------0------------------0--------
|---------------0------------------0-----------------0------------------0-----
|-------8---------8-------8---------8------7----------7-------7---------7--
|----6----6------------6----6-----------5----5-------------5----5----------
|-4------------------4-----------------3------------------3-------------------
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much just two chords. Fuck with the rhythm or add some other shit to make it unique

I wouldn't be surprised. But it could also be just the shitty accent.
youtu.be/B72ZvE6bOOg

I think you fags only motivate people to start playing guitar because you want there to be someone out tgere that's shittier than yoi, even if their excuse is, "i got this last week."

On the same level of challenging a little kid to arm wrestling or a paraplegic to a race.

More string relief, but past one point it just gets ridiculous

No wonder I like 'bergs so much. A guitar made for spergs by spergs

yknow these have always been a meme but seeing them in a playing position they look comfy as hell

if you play any lower than that you just have bitch hands

>sinking time and energy into a futile pursuit

What is living ?

>if you don't play in a really uncomfortable and ridiculous way, you're a bitch

living is a meme

kek

Is 24 too old to learn guitar? If not, what is a good first guitar and do I need lessons?

I don't aspire to do anything with it but play some of my favourite songs in my bedroom.

>I only like artistic endeavors that's popular at the moment!

>Endeavors that is
Thats nigger english.

If you're talking about guitar music as an artform then first off, lol. Second, the point of this discussion is people who are just now starting to play guitar to become well known. The word art never came up(aside from making fun of ot). Learn some context and some grammar before you reply again.

Tfw no thicc strandberg waifu

tfw the headstock will still break

It's good for playing slide guitar.

I really hate strand(((((berg)))) guitars but that print looks really cool and I'd play one if it were that exactly

No.
Squier electric or a used acoustic
Youtube is your lessons

See

>Print
Hand painted by the slant herself

Might pick up the classic one. I like the idea of strat tones with a more modern body and neck. Seems rather manlet friendly too.

The chorus that comes after the verse, instead of
>B Bb Ab Gb E G-A-B D-Gb
It is the same thing but instead of B it is in Eb

What the fuck this song isnt even in a key. Whats the theory behind all of this?

Before changing to the key of Eb for this chorus, they play a Bb which works like a fifth so i can understand how they modulate, but the relative of Gb would be Ebm not Eb

Also the intro is in E

Fuck

Its not often i get to refer to a girl as a faggot, thank you for posting this faggot.

damn, at least it's not being wasted on djent

I dont see how playing music is any different from any other "adult" hobby like fishing or golf or putting on your slippers and watching the evening news. I have a job and will soon have my own house (inherited) and I'm going to build a custom, fully equipped music/jamming room so I can enjoy my favourite thing in the world on my own terms and in comfort, while maintaing a good life balance and holding my shit down.
Some people play music because they enjoy it, no different from anything else people enjoy. Some people enjoy expressing themselves and creating things that, while they may never become world famous, made that person feel alive for the short time they actually were alive. Not worried about kids or stuff because when you have a family you are cucked forever and all that stuff you used to enjoy will be going on ebay or the pussy will be held to ransom and you will be worked to death. Thats quite a tangent there but my salient point is that your bait is retarded.

>What the fuck this song isnt even in a key
theorycuck gets surprised when his silly little rules are broken for the sake of artistic expression

>job
>family
>house
>car
>life
lel whatta waste

Wew

>Falling for the bait

>playing guitar is a hobby like collecting stamps or knitting
wew dad

You're the cuck, m8. There's a theoretical explanation for everything.

danadler.com/misc/Cycles.pdf

>tfw no tapping waifu

>Seems rather manlet friendly too.
It's 25.5" to 24.75" multiscale, and the body is super small. It's kinda like a mustang on steroids.
Having the 7 and 8 string models drop the single coils is a mistake though.

Well yeah, what do you think it is? A real job?

I'd imagine it's because finding 7 and especially 8 string single coils is a fucking nightmare. The only 8 string singles I know of are from Toastin's last sig set, the Dimarzio Ionizers.

>i have plans to be a tone attorney soon
disgusting quite frankly

A minor v resolving to a minor i is often changed to a dominant chord to provide a stronger resolution. The simpler version of the dominant chord would be to drop the b7 and just make it a major chord, Bb Major here.

So instead of a v i progression, you have V7 i

>Calls correct grammar nigger english
First off art is already present when we are talking about making and playing music. Secondly, how is this not art?
youtube.com/watch?v=JNEnzNHTkd8&index=35&list=PLZU1NdVSGzhiG2Rbur5g98yh2vHDV0D5D
Thirdly this post was about some guy being a pretentious dick about seeing some kids buy an instrument that he believes is a waste of time and money. That he believes will lead into "artistic poverty" because it's not what's hot right now. So my point to your cute post was about how you only think art should be pursued under the intention that you will become famous which I disagree with. Guitar music isn't dead as there will always be people to appreciate good art forms.

or whatever

see

>you're the cuck
>follow the rules follow the rules follow the rules follow the rules follow the....

>theyre still responding to the same bait that gets posted every day, in every single thread

>Guitar music isn't dead
lol

Enjoy playing your squire in your moms basement forever bud, I'll be doing things gear nerds can only dream of because they didnt roll up their sleeves and pull themselves up by their bootstraps, preferring to wallow in their own filth like some kind of social parasite.

>not ironically reverse baiting

What is the actual difference between $500 boutique pickups and cheapo ones made with the exact same magnets and DC resistance?

Neo-Sup Forums users don't know what b8 looks like, no matter how obvious.

You seem to have a misunderstanding of theory. You don't "follow the rules," you use theory to explain what you did and help you generate new ideas for what you might do to make something sound harmonically interesting.

brand name