One of my favorite niches in music is music that's extremely noisy but has beautiful melodies underneath...

One of my favorite niches in music is music that's extremely noisy but has beautiful melodies underneath. Does anybody have some recs for this sort of music? Avoid genre namedropping, just post good albums that fall under this umbrella.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound
youtube.com/watch?v=ymy_pHAlmhc
music-map.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=rtV-vxj8yOY
youtube.com/watch?v=2M1waeNsXhs
youtube.com/watch?v=enio8M2c6Dg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how about you lurk moar
>>>/shugazi/

still I'll post some charts

JAMC - Psychocandy
Ceremony - s/t ep
(not the hardcore band)

Yeah, I listen to lots of shugazi, but I'm thinking beyond that. Like I said, I don't want genre namedrops because it's easy to just explore the shoegaze tag on rateyourmusic. I want stuff that's got this aesthetic that maybe expands to other genres. Music doesn't have to use layers of guitars to be loud with melodies underneath layers of noise.

If I understand your definition, it's a whole genre called "shoegaze". I think you mean noise + pop melodies, since I don't think you're talking about atmoblack which can also be considered "extremely noise with beautiful melodies underneath".

Also Loveless isn't "extremely noisy", it's just the top of the iceberg of a whole genre.

I recommend
>pic related, Astrobrite - Pinkshinyultrablast
>Boombox Supernova and Whitenoisesuperstar by Astrobrite also
>Whirr
>Nothing
>Cosmicdust
>Zond
>Dating

hey that's my flowchart
I suggest you all download the 1.2 version of it (basically fixed Space Rock with shoegaze influences which was a complete mess)

The "noisy shoegaze", "ambient shoegaze" and "ambient noise" might interest you

>mention I don't want genre namedropping
>get genre namedropping

And I know Loveless isn't very noisy, it's an attention grabber and falls under the umbrella of what I'm talking about at least to an extent.

I think you should enjoy this. maybe the vocals put you off, but to me, they give it a special something.. yob are fucking gods

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound

>protip shoegaze isn't wall of sound

Shugazi isn't shoegaze, shugazi is exactly what you're describing

Sorry I didn't see that before

Anyways, I recommended albums that fall under the "noise + pop melodies" category I think you're trying to ask. Is that what you're asking for? If not, I could recommend you Philosophy by Whitehouse which I think is pretty beautiful and noisy at the same time

youtube.com/watch?v=ymy_pHAlmhc

you're welcome

Shut the fuck up, that meme where a guy said "shoegaze" like "Fugazi" didn't actually become a microgenre and I will kick your ass if you try to convince me it did.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to ignore your recs, I'm putting them down. I just wanted to avoid genre namedropping because I knew I'd inevitably get "shoegaze" and "noise pop" and I'm interested in stuff that falls outside of those genre umbrellas while still fulfilling the sonic aesthetic I like, like some atmospheric metal and outright noise music does.

It's used on Sup Forums as an umbrella term for all the music that sounds like what you're describing, there is a general for it, where the first guy directed you to

I think he meant they cover all of the noisy, melodic, washed-out subgenres like dream pop, blackgaze, noise pop, ect, not just shoegaze. Shugazi isn't a genre. But in the general people talk about more than just shoegaze.

In any case I don't like rec threads on Sup Forums for this reason. People don't get spoonfed exactly what they want to hear right away and get upset. Finding new music is a skill, and there are lots of ways to go about it.

music-map.com/

bong is a drone metal band that has a lot of sitar noodling under the distorted guitar drones.
>youtube.com/watch?v=rtV-vxj8yOY

youtube.com/watch?v=2M1waeNsXhs

I feel like The Money Store is kind of the same on a lot of tracks.
Extremely catchy melodies underneath the noisy production

Really dig these, thanks.

I know how to browse a flowchart curated by a stranger on the internet and explore a genre tag on rym. The reason I made this thread is because I don't want to limit myself to one or two genres.

I always thought /shugazi/ was just a shoegaze general, so my bad. And I didn't actually mean to sound mad, I just thought for a moment that "shugazi" became a microgenre over time which I found somehow distressing.

I'm not into Death Grips but I'd agree with that.

/shugazi/ isn't limited to genres either, as long as the album follows the general idea of those genres it is considered /shugazi/

(though worth noting that it's mostly those genres)

youtube.com/watch?v=enio8M2c6Dg

You might already know them, because they're pretty well known, but here are the albums that makes me feel like i'm drowning in sound:

-candy claws ceres & calypso in the deep time
-Tim Hecker - Ravedeath 1972
-The goslings - Grandeur of Hair
-Fleeting joys - Despondent Transpondeur (the best Loveless rip off i know of)

I can really recommend Nothing, and probably Whirr too, but I haven't listened a lot to the latter.

Any Darkthrone album is perfect for this