/prod/ - Music Production General

Deaf Grapes Edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Join the /prod/ Discord!
discord.gg/GGhdZ

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to constructively critique other people's clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/s4swj3ep
clyp.it/r5olzban
discord.gg/cfwMgqU
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BzxzWX
clyp.it/jdzcdfqx
clyp.it/1zbtjqdd
clyp.it/fh3g1s2w
clyp.it/wbpqmdnt
clyp.it/kb2d32dw
clyp.it/4l1yifwp
clyp.it/k5fwllff
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ayy what do you guys think?

clyp.it/s4swj3ep

hey anthony lol
it's kudzu
I think that the intro definitely needs to be longer, i'd say make it twice as long. Also, the shaker in the beginning needs to be more swingy and needs some more natural velocity changes. Also, i'm not a huge fan of the lead that comes in at :16. Change it to something other than a saw wave. I would suggest maybe something square wave based.

Hopefully that helped lol

just became a macfag cause my freeloading younger sister got my parents to buy her a macbook so i get to take her imac.

some plugins have an option for AU and/or VSTi but i wanted to know which one is better to use on the mac.

Audio units are the standard mac format. I would go with those.

>projecting poorfag kid
sad

i built and paid for my desktop pc myself cause im not a teenager anymore but im not going to refuse a discarded computer that is still fairly powerful.

reposting WIP from last thread
clyp.it/r5olzban

>clyp.it/s4swj3ep
i like parts of it
that choppy synth is really loud
everything is really loud and it's a little unsettling
i like the synth that starts at :32 a lot

the discord invite is expired :\

Bump.

Also any suggestions for things to keep in mind when building a desktop for production.
Thinking about 16 gb ram, i7, at least 3 ghz, and an ssd.

discord.gg/cfwMgqU
OP here, i gotchu senpai.

thanks senpai

my first week in FL Studio

thanks for the feedback

seems legit. only other tips i would give you are...

-dont cheap out on the case. get something sturdy and reasonably sound proof. solid cases can survive decades without becoming incompatible. try and avoid the clear side panel meme.

-dont bother with too many fans. if you buy a decent case you will be provided with enough of them.

-make sure you have a hard drive for samples. no real point in using up expensive SSD space for samples. HDD is fast enough for them.

-get a usb or other external audio interface instead of an internal card. i have friends who were dumb enough to do this which is why i warn everyone.

-dont fall for the ITX meme. just build with ATX or EATX boards cause down the road you may score a older second hand interface for a dirt cheap price but then you get cucked cause motherboards no longer have 1394 ports. that or if you are big on gear you just end up running out of USB ports.

-make sure the video card plays nice with multiple displays.

what kind of software and gear are you planning to run?

Learn Ableton before its too late!!!

Most AL users graduated from FL but you might as well just start with AL.

Could I feasibly build a competent music pc with a ton of space for around $500?

Ok this is a really dumb question but I've tried searching everywhere on Google and nothing seems to be helping. I bootlegged both Ableton Live 9 and Guitar Rig 5, but I can't seem to find Guitar Rig 5 on Ableton. I know my setup is good because I can record just fine in Reaper, but for convenience's sake I want to record in Ableton. It's not in the Plugins section, and I don't know how to get Ableton to recognize Guitar Rig. Help?

>'plays laptop'
flawless.

Thanks a ton man ill keep this in mind.
I plan on sticking with ableton. Have all my samples on a 1 TB hd so all set with that.
Getting an audio interface is definitely something I would do. For my needs something like pic related would most likely suffice. However an interface with more inputs could be useful.

i managed to jew up a list for you or any other poor people.
$428 usd but pic and link are in canadian prices...
>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BzxzWX
^its in canadian prices

im assuming you are in the usa so you still have a good 62$ to cover sales tax or any small adjustments you want to make (optical drive, better case, add more storage, add more ram, video card, whatever). if you already have an audio interface or a separate budget for an audio interface then you can easily scrap the last item on that list which brings you just a little under 400$ usd.

pic related has good bang for the buck and a lot of my producer friends love it.

Also for gear right now I have an OP-1 synth and a GP-10, a guitar multi effects unit. Both connected via USB and record directly into DAWs

I'm not smart to offer something that I know would work, but depending on your system jBridge might be useful. But since it runs in reaper I'm not sure why it wouldn't work in ableton also.
Do you have other vsts working in ableton? I've read that putting the vst folder the regular programfiles folder is better than using a programfiles(x86) folder.

Here's a little house/rap beat I've been working on for a couple of days. Looking criticism on both composition and the mixing. I'm still learning at both.

clyp.it/jdzcdfqx

Just to expand on this:

Program Files (x86) folder only exists in 64-bit systems (it's where 32-bit applications install to on 64-bit Windows systems) and if has that folder sitting alongside the regular Program Files folder (for 64-bit applications) then they're using a 64-bit OS (that's gonna be the case for most people with recently-bought computers) - if they've then gone on to install the 64-bit version of Ableton Live they will need to choose to install the 64-bit plugin version of Guitar Rig too, or they'd need to use jBridge to host the 32-bit version as you've mentioned.

64-bit Ableton will look in "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins" for plugins and instruments by default (it's worth creating this folder before installing any plugs/VSTs then choosing that as your install location for each one) and it will only load 64-bit versions of plugins that it finds there, so the most likely scenario is that we have a 64-bit application that can't see Guitar Rig because only the 32-bit plugin part of it is installed.

The 32-bit version would install to the Program Files (x86) folder but simply pointing 64-bit Ableton at that folder for VSTs won't work as it still won't load 32-bit plugins.

Solution is to either re-install Guitar Rig (selecting to also install the 64-bit plugin) or, if that has been stripped out of that particular cracked version, use jBridge to host.

Anyone know any place to get boom-bap/hip-hop drum kits? Or maybe even just a site with sampled audio files?

I was just giving my review of his clyp but I don't agree with you. Although I'm an Ableton user FL is an equally great DAW.

you have to locate the VST folder from within Ableton

still sounds like "just picked up a DAW a couple weeks ago" music, not sure what to feedback since it's all pretty bad. don't let that dishearten you tho, we all go through that phase so just keep working at it and in a couple of months you'll have made huge progress. with that said I think the arrangement isn't all that terrible, however the production ruins it a lot

go to loopmasters and look around, you can pirate most of the shit on rutracker

Thanks for the response man, I wouldn't come to Sup Forums if I didn't want serious criticism. I'm gonna work on something listenable and post it here.

How do I mix and master? What is babbys first course? I use FL Studio and usually just mess around with the mixer - master until it sounds alright, it's still always quiet. Drums aren't as punchy or loud, my synths and melodies don't seem to have the right impact, and my bass is a nonexistent or a treble line.

>Drums aren't as punchy or loud

Sidechain compression fampai, also parallel compression if it's something like drum and bass and you really want the drums to fill the mix

>my synths and melodies don't seem to have the right impact

Depends on the exact problem, post a wip

>my bass is a nonexistent or a treble line

Again post a wip, but remember to roll off the very low frequences, from about 50hz down, they can really muddy the mix and fuck up any processing you're doing to the track

Make sure you've got HDDs. I have my OS on one SSD and my DAW on a separate SSD. Anything I'm working with in real time is on an SSD as well (for a total of three), otherwise it sits on my HDDs.

Storage is getting cheap but HDDs are still the way to go for long term storage.

>-dont fall for the ITX meme. just build with ATX or EATX boards cause down the road you may score a older second hand interface for a dirt cheap price but then you get cucked cause motherboards no longer have 1394 ports. that or if you are big on gear you just end up running out of USB ports.
I wouldn't stress tooooo much about it. I'd avoid mITX but you'd be fine with mATX nowadays honestly.

I built the PC I'm using at the moment with the intention of being able to upgrade components later down the line. It's been eight years now and I'm about to swap in an EATX board from the same year generation of socket it was built for. It's taken eight years for it to be an issue. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

Just make sure you get a good PSU and Case and they'll outlast every component in the PC with a bit of luck.

H-how's this guys?
>clyp.it/1zbtjqdd

I found my old PowerMac G3, what's some good period correct music production software I can use? Looking to make memewave. Also have a G4 and G5, but looking for accurate aesthetics

Logic Audio (Silver/Gold/Platinum) was around at that time (used it with my G3) and so was Cubase Audio (pre-VST days) but I'm not so sure if you'd find any of them online any more - Classic Mac websites maybe (anything that caters to System 8.5 Macs)

clyp.it/fh3g1s2w

What you guys think? The only microphone that I use was the one in my cellphone.

I'm working on getting SonicWORX and other abandonware, I'll look into Cubase

WIP... pls play...

clyp.it/wbpqmdnt

poorfag here, where do you torrent your vst?

the marauders cove

Made this today but i'm thinking about tossing it. Looking for some criticism

clyp.it/kb2d32dw

i'm drunk

Does anyone have any goals in mind with music? Like maybe not be the next Skrillex or whatever but, do you want to go pro? Or at least maybe $100 here and there?

fellow poorfag, I only use free vsts, lot's of great ones out there

Alright I fixed up some bits.
clyp.it/4l1yifwp

HOW ABOUT SOME FADE IN YOU FUCKING IDIOT IT JUST BURST ON AND NOW I'M LITERALLY DEAF FUCK YOU

Have you ever run into not finding a VST you had at some point?

Like, I download some random flute VST now, what are my chances of finding it again in 5 years? I don't want to regret not saving the setup files, but I really don't want to keep them either. Formatting and such, I mean.

My first goal is to make good music, that would impress myself, production wise, and composition wise. My next goal is to maybe try to 'make it' as in I want to live a small quiet frugal life , supporting myself on music (playing small cute shows, maybe selling bits of pieces of music as samples for others to use in their music, stuff like that), which is nothing more than a daydream at this point.

just literally buy a memory stick or a cheap external HDD ffs

is it bad that i like this?

Yes, it's trash

its pretty catchy

>have been working in fl studio for 2 and a half years
>just realized what a "pogo" effect does to drums
>mfw

Always wondered how those weird kicks like in Tchami's Adieu are made. It sounded to me like they are overcompressed, but when I saw what "pogo" effect does to a sound, it's kinda the same, isn't it?

could I have some feedback on this? i'll probably change the flute
clyp.it/k5fwllff

I actually like the flute. I would reprise the flute at the end.

Or ditch that shit and just get hardware to produce music, so much more fun.

A sampler, synth and a drum muchine is all you need and volcas are dirt cheap for what they do.

Sounds cheap, where do you take inspiration from?