Is it possible to teach yourself classical piano?

Is it possible to teach yourself classical piano?

When this question is asked the most common answer is "get a teacher," so I wonder if there are any classical pianist who were self-taught to some level.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KG0-1qXRPpI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

get a teacher

You can teach yourself, but unless you do extreme research, you're going to teach yourself shit technique that will lead to improper playing which over time will both a) limit your ability to improve and b) hurt you physically

Get a fucking teacher. Don't get just any teacher though, it has to be a really good one. I have been lucky in that regard. He's teaching me how to teach as well.

I am debating myself between to possible teachers.

I'm in south america. One of the teachers was born here and studied piano here, the other is from russian origin and has a piano degree from the tschakovsky institute. The latter is twice as expensive as the former, twice as I can pay right now.

I would prefer to go with the russian teacher since he seems more capable, but if I do this I would be able to attend to lessons only twice a month, as oppossed to the local teacher with whom I could take lessons every week.

>to possible teachers.
*two
dammit

twice a month is not that bad, but you'll have a lot of homework. If you can see him three times a month that'd be perfect. Go with the russian. However, see if he is any good at teaching before you return. Speak with him before taking a lesson and try to feel him out. If not, go with the guy who was born there. Which country?

>If you can see him three times a month that'd be perfect.
I think I could do that.
I suppose I would be taking lessons every ten days then.

>If not, go with the guy who was born there
I know him personally and I think he is a decent pianist. I would rather avoid him on the solely reason that I believe he teaches other instruments of which he barely has any knowledge - I spent almost a year with him taking violin lessons.

>Which country?
Uruguay.

Hmm, not too familiar then. But what about the russian? Do you think he'd be a good teacher? Has he taught a lot before? Try to ask other students of his etc.

yes and you can even learn violin by yourself

then again a teacher would rally you to learn faster

>Has he taught a lot before?
The teacher is a woman. Apparently she has 15 years of experience teaching and a degree from Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory. I think their standards in educations are higher than ours.
I will schedule a lesson next week. After two or three lessons I should know if I want to stick with her or not.

Good luck, user.

Good. You're doing the right thing.

I'd recommend that you at least set a foundation with a teacher. It does also depend to an extent, though, on what you want to do with it--I play classical piano but it's not my specialty; I use it to improve my skills and fundamentals and I primarily play rock/jazz keyboards. Since I'm not looking to play impressive pieces at formal recitals I can get away with teaching myself, but if my goals and priorities were different I'd definitely be seeing an experienced teacher every week.

>Since I'm not looking to play impressive pieces at formal recitals
I'm not looking for that either. I think I may be too old for that anyway.
I just want to reach a decent level in classical some pieces I like.

Yes. People will tell you otherwise because they want to convince themselves that pissing away $20,000+ to achieve a basic grade 8 wasn't a huge waste of money. If you don't believe me however, ask the most qualified authority on musical pedagogy: Chuan C Chang.

Have a listen to this simple Grade 3 Bach minuet OP:

youtube.com/watch?v=KG0-1qXRPpI

Students and teachers following a standard classical training unironically think you should take 150+ 1 hour lessons ($7,500+) over three years in order to play this. I would consider how much you value both your time and money before you go through with this.

I had a piano teacher for several years when I was young, but I stopped playing and I've recently been looking to relearn. I want to play jazz, any anons got recs for a book to learn from?

that belongs to petzold you motherfucker

Mark Levine's jazz piano book

wait wrong minuet never mind................pretend i didn't say this

You were thinking of the other minuet in g major

Anyone who plays classical and has a decent teacher knows that grades are total bullshit. I've learned this piece while only 6 months into piano classes.

this

(OP)
It doesn't look particularly hard.
I already played some Bach Minuets from a book I have (Easy Piano Classics).

Also, as a violin student I didn't follow the repertoire strictly year by year. We just played pretty much whatever we wanted to.

get a teacher user

>Chuan C Chang.
some of the commentaries look interesting
I think it may be worthy to give it a look

this