the king

makes me wish i was american

Rock n roll era > Vegas era >>>>>>>>>> Hollywood era

inb4 "le thieving white man"

youtube.com/watch?v=AG9ph9xkOrw&list=RDWb0Jmy-JYbA&index=9

i like how he goes from barely being coherent to belting it out

pretty incredible

he was an ok country singer i guess

The king is dead but his coat lives on.......

I would never be an Elvis fanboy or anything but he was fucking fantastic. King of Rock n Roll indeed.

>le thieving white man

youtube.com/watch?v=Wb0Jmy-JYbA

one of the very few true legends of popular music. comfortably lies alongside MJ, Hendrix, Bowie, Lennon, Cash etc.

Literally the greatest icon in the history of music.
His music is good too I guess.

There is only one king, and his name is Jesus. Elvis can go fuck himself.

Lol what the hell

Elvis was God's vessel tho.
Jesus was a ruse created by the semitic tribes.

did the same songs as contemporary musicians, most being black, but because he was handsome and daring and white it was easy to sell to people. only reason for his success imo. first truly manufactured pop star

So was Elvis' holy sacrifice via shitting himself to death necessary?

>ignoring his exceptional vocal talent

His range was huge especially as a natural baritone.

Yes.
He died for our sins.

Great gospel voice IMO. He's not my king of R&R, but definitely an icon.

I admire his talent of course but that doesn't change the fact he didn't write his own material and often didn't play his own instruments. He achieved more making movies than making songs. A performance artist not but a true artist like his contemporaries. See: buddy holly, eddie cochran, chuck berry, little richard. These guys had a lot more musical talent but were either black or died so are harder to market. Elvis was just extremely marketable

Disagree that a solo vocalist can't be a true artist. Vocals are a trained discipline as any instrument is. Yes he lacked musical talent but his voice was one of a kind and can't be compared to his contemporaries.

Sinatra didn't write his songs, nor Whitney Houston, nor Daltrey, nor Morrissey. Then of course MJ who did write stuff but lacked any musicianship. Hell even Elton John doesn't write his own songs. All that aside, I think limited/manufactured/whatever you want to call it performers can still reach the same level of respect and "artistry" as any musical virtuoso with enough talent and imagery.

presleys first studio album which is what made him blow up is literally all covers of black songs that didn't sell half as well. maybe I'm understating his artistry but his artistry is akin to katy perrys or rihannas. they contribute but the musical side is taken care of professional songwriters and record producers. I appreciate how many elvis is culturally and I do like a lot of his songs but he was more marketable and influential than he was good and artistic

your a dorable

dude its Elvis. It really doesnt matter what anyone on Sup Forums thinks. Its elvis

youtube.com/watch?v=Wb0Jmy-JYbA

An amazingly talented performer and a swell guy by all accounts.

this ultimately

it's crazy, elvis impersonators still sell out venues here in europe today. his songs and image just resonates strongly with people, even 4 decades after his death.

Man he is just fucking awesome, why aren't there people like this any more?

What is the most powerful song he recorded?

youtube.com/watch?v=FJ-r0bilzhU

Not this but it's my favourite. Legendary vocals.

Not even a nigger could sing gospel like he.

HOWBOW DAH?

*excluding Sam Cooke of coursh

hound dog probably, made rock and roll music globally popular

even spawned the subculture of rockers in britain obsessed with american culture

brehs

youtube.com/watch?v=GL3S6UxTaM0

He was hot

Best song coming through.
youtu.be/JFbGpYUZVqk

youtube.com/watch?v=UliMkoo0qNY

I got an elvis autograph and its just a backward e and a smiley face

Best ones:

youtube.com/watch?v=gWt_ONPxaTA

youtube.com/watch?v=fiwdhmf7JSw

shit that was really good

but overall he kinda comes off lame. like he was meant to be a sex symbol but it just seems weird now...people still talk about him but you don't really believe them

young elvis was a handsome dude

when he got older and fatter he was admired enough to still be a sex symbol. also fat elvis was his peak as a singer.

I feel his voice changed quite a bit, when he was young he had a kind of higher voice then got it slightly deeper in the 70's but still the power to get it up high.

Here's some videos showcasing different ranges (Although I think some of the numbers are incorrect):

youtube.com/watch?v=usQUpQQ-4YQ

youtube.com/watch?v=PKZVGmD22Ak

youtube.com/watch?v=JhVLe30ocew

youtube.com/watch?v=z0X-0gM6-ZU

It changed a lot. Obviously subjective and some prefer the raw rock and roll young vocals but for me the mid 70s baritone was the iconic Elvis everyone knows and loves.

youtube.com/watch?v=FJ-r0bilzhU
Better than prime Sinatra imo.

he was actually pretty good

>overall he kinda comes off lame. like he was meant to be a sex symbol but it just seems weird now
That's probably because he was only really the cool Elvis people associate that image with for like three years. He started to gain traction as an artist in 1955, got really big in 1956, and was a major sex symbol until he was drafted in 1958. After he got out of the Army, his career mostly consisted of making bad movies until he could quit doing that, and then he was the fat Vegas Elvis until he died.

So, yeah, if you look at most of his career, it might seem weird, because he was kind of a joke. But if you focus on this first few years, it makes sense. He was young, vibrant, rebellious, and pretty sexual in performance. He was responsible for bringing a certain energy into the mainstream, and that was a big deal at the time.

He was good looking between 1968 and 1974 though, didn't really get obese until 1975.
To be honest he would be considered pretty skinny in todays America.

>who is John Lennon

Justin Bieber of his time

An overrated hack whose only contribution to music history was bringing Harrison to the spotlight.

No idea mate

True, I guess, but he was still considered a joke because of the movies. That famous story about John Lennon asking him "What happened? You used to be cool" when they met is a good example of that notion. The reason the comeback special even needed to be an idea was because no one was taking him serious after that. And because of Colonel Parker's shitty management, he was never really able to regain his status. He may have still been good looking, but he was mostly coasting off of his image from the previous decade.

He recorded some stellar and some of his best songs in the late 60's and 70's

I'm talking about his image of a sex symbol, which someone earlier said they didn't understand because he seems lame. Even though he was still recording good music later in his career, his public image wasn't the same as it was in his pre-Army days. That's what I'm getting at. in order to understand why Elvis was a sex symbol, you have to talk about his being an attractive, young performer shaking his hips and singing rebellious music. That image was seriously damaged by almost of a decade of making cheesy movies like "Clam Bake."

I'm not talking about the quality of his music. Of course it was still good.

Interesting. So if he hadn't died young he could have ended up far less the icon he is?

Probably for the best. Hard to compete with Johnny Cash as king of cool.

well that was at the end of his life

>people ITT dont recognize the human voice as an instrument