What did frodo do for a living?

What did frodo do for a living?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZouiWmzWoY
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Golfimbul
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

genius billionaire playboy philanthropist

he was a NEET. bilbo was rich, why work?

sam

Rode on the success of his ancestor Bilbo

>not realizing the blessed English class system allowed the upper crust an entire life without responsibility or obligation.

FUCK SAM

Basically this. What LOTR fails to really grasp is that Bilbo is filthy fucking rich after the whole Smaug thing. As Bilbo's chosen Son Surrogate, Frodo is heir to his fortune. He's Hobbiton equivalent of the landed gentry.

He was only 40. In hobbit years thats like 14 so he didn't have to work. This is why millennials do not work, as we are gradually evolving into hobbits.

Bilbo was the richest man west of Misty Mountains. Frodo inherited enough wealth to be able to buy the entire Shire if he had just wanted to.
So instead of doing anything productive, he probably just sat in his home, smoking "famous Shire tobacco" (weed) and spent time reading books.
Until he got so bored he decided to go to Mordor as a tourist. Too much smoking can damage the brains it seems.

What DIDN'T he do??

Is that why he didn't use the eagles?

How come the Shire is about the same size as Rohan and Gondor combined? That's a lot of land for 2 kingdoms to just ignore

Middle Earth is extremely depopulated.

Sauron didn't even know that Hobbits existed, for instance.

Besides Bree and the Shire, eradior is mostly wilderness

>Besides Bree and the Shire, eradior is mostly wilderness

oh, to live in a world like that again

He was a professional Child molester

how do hobbits know what a menu is

Prostitution, gambling, drugs, smuggling, murder for hir,e and landscaping.

He was pretty rich in the Hobbit world. Basically upper class, and his family stretched back generations. Sam was literally his servant.

It's a bastardisation of the Elvish Mëńúâéûè, which means "The futility felt when there are many paths to choose", Hobbits of course dumbed it down and made it about Food.

Where the fuck is the shire on the map? I've been trying to see it for 10 minutes. I coulda sworn it was next to those mountains, but I can't see it on there at all

right above the D in Eriador

Really rich landed gentry.

Trips and a sense of humor, what a time to be alive

>oh, to live in a world like that again
I love a good city nightlife but there is something VERY attractive amount hiking through Middle Earth (assuming I don't get raped by an orc)

Do you think any kingdom would try to take a land populated by
>Hillybilly Rangers
>Barrow Wraiths
>Warg
>Tom Fucking Bombadil

>Tom Fucking Bombadil
He's just a meme.

wow just like in skyrim

He was chilling on Bilbo's wealth + his cousins Merry and Pippin were the sons of important hobbits.

Sam was the only member of the Fellowship who didn't have a significant lineage
Aragorn was the heir of Gondor and future King of men
Legolas was an elvish prince
Gimli was the son of a Noble dwarf
Boromir the captain of Gondor and son of the Steward
Gandalf was basicaly an angel
Sam was one of the many sons of a Gardener

Ohh I got it, thanks senpai, that other guy said it was huge so I wasn't looking at the tiny places

>assuming I don't get raped by an orc
if anything, that would complete the experience.

He was from an important and rich family.

I'd watch a Bombadil-centric Predator type film about a company of Men being picked off one by one

youtube.com/watch?v=ZZouiWmzWoY

>his cousins Merry and Pippin were the sons of important hobbits.
Wasn't Pippins father a paladin?

Nothing, he is landed gentry. So are Merry and Pipin, who come from the most ancient and noble hobbit dynasties Only Sam is a filthy peasant.

Invented Facebook

He wasn't some virtious Knight of the shire, Paladin was his name ; Paladin Took, Thain of the Shire

>it all started because they destroyed goldberry's waterlilies when camping by the spot where Tom gathers them, the day before he makes his trip
>ghostly echoes of "old tom bombadill he's a merry fellow..." coming from somewhere around them, steadily becoming louder

>You will never see a big budget on screen depiction of Tom 'the absoloute madman' Bombadill

that entire part, eriador used to be part of the original gondor.
There where cities and towns there that where just as big as the ones in the current gondor.
But humans&elfs&dwarfs got so BTFO because of different reasons that not much was left by the time the hobbit starts.

The stewards should have just claimed it or formed a protectorate or something. The only things you have to look out are orc/dickwolf incursions from the north and east. Fuck the line of kings. If they want Arnor back, they can come out of their forests and say it out loud.

>Brian Blessed will die before he gets to play Tom

Friendly reminder that the Shire used to swear fealty to a king, and went off to fight in human wars as archers and slingshot-troops, where they proved very capable despite their few numbers.

They cant because the Witch king cursed the land real hard and real bad, and then genocided the entire population.

anyone knows what kind of races inhabit forlindon and harlindon? are there men up there? or is it just abandoned because arnor got BTFO?

There be sailor elves in those parts

Why was Frodo such a good goy?

What made him not want the rings power?

Is it because he was already so wealthy that he didn't have any utility for more wealth? And he didn't care for power because he was stoned and didn't want anything to do?

elves, remnant of First Age elven kingdoms of Belerieland. Noldorin and Sindar, Gil-Galad ruled there during Second Age, died against Sauron, Cirdan the Shipwright was left in charge at Grey Havens during Third Age.

they've got quite a bit of land then
I always thought it was just mithlond and the surrounding area

But the hobbit ends with Bilbo pissing away his money giving gifts to everyone so they would stop talking bad behind his back

writers always metaphor their books

so tolkein was sad that nobody liked him and he bought their love? sounds about right

bilbo owns 1/14 of all gold in erebor. i think he can spare a few gifts

Bagginses are landed, they don't particularly do anything except collect rent.

Tolkien hated people trying to pust messages on his books. He wrote them because he wanted too, not to tell a message to people.

The point of gandalf picking Bilbo in the first place was because Bilbo was both the son of a family of well off hobbits that never left the town and the one crazy family of hobbits that went off to adventures but he was raised and lived his entire life as the comfortable one.
When he comes back all the other hobbits keep talking about that crazy guy that dissappeared into the night and he doesn't come back mega rich but with a good chunk of money so over the years he keeps making gifts to the other hobbits so they would stop spreading rumors and that's it for his mlney

>oh, to live in a world like that again
You could always live in North Dakota, user.

Not only that but making Bilbo rich mind of fucks up his character, he started a simple hobbit and didn't become an action character at the end, he just went back to being a hobbit just with a story to tell

>A mountain filled with pure gold as far as the eye can see
>Dont take anything
nigga he had the ring with him when he left, the ring exaggerates bad traits, and greed was bad.
he definitly took a couple wheelbarrows full of gold with him

Again that just cheapens the character, hobbits aren't humans. Their distinctive trait is thier lack of greed that's why while every other race builds empires they just chill and smoke
The hobbit was about taking the most insignificant creature onan adventure around an amazing world and at the end he goes back to being what he always was, he doesn't jump onto a note and rides away to the sunset to come back in the hobbit two Bilbo's retribution

I read the book, the book said he took enough money to give everyone some sorth of expensive gift, maybe there was enough left for him to eat and smoke better for a while but that's it, this isn't game of thrones, nobody is going to rape pipin

Its safe to assume he took enough to live without working for hundreds years

>nobody is going to rape pippin

user, this orc wasn't playing games

It's not because the book says otherwise. The treasure Bilbo took wasn't gold that's why he ends up spending the rest of his life until the Lord of the rings starts writing the book about his adventures,

He also took the troll's gold that the dwarves buried.

Losten, I read the book as a kid. I remember the ending but I don't remember every detail of the story, you can understand why it ends the way it does I assume. There is no point oin making Bilbo rich, he does take some money home but he doesn't become Lord of the hobbits

A meme, huh? OK, try to imagine yourself in Middle Earth. You get your first look at this "meme" as you enter a clearing. He moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing his head. And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like a fell beast - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Tom. You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the other two Toms you didn't even know were there. Because Tom's a pack hunter, you see, he uses coordinated attack patterns and he is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this...A six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the the middle toe. He doesn't bother to bite your jugular like a lion, say... no no. He slashes at you here, or here...Or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines. The point is, you are alive when he starts to eat you. So, you know, try to show a little respect.

actually the estimated worth of bilbo's mithril coat was enough to buy out all of the shire several times over

>Lord of the hobbits
he does though

ITS NOT WEED

REEEEEEEEEEE

During the part at the Gray Havens, there is a small but very specific mention that makes clear that Frodo is sufficently rich to not have to work. Makes sense, considering that Sam was his employee, and that Frodo could hastily buy that house at Crickhollow simply as a cover to their quest.

Frodo more or less was a Hobbit version of Bruce Wayne.

>Froddo was a hobbit version of Bruce Wayne
America was a mistake

Bilbo was already in good position BEFORE going to his quest, the Bagginses were described as being a family of "Gentle-Hobbits" and were closely related to both the Tooks and the Brandybucks, which were the ruling clans of the Shire.

Exactly, I already said that myself

>hobbit bruce wayne

Obviously there's the Scouring of the Shire at the end of the books, but how come before that some Goblin raiding party or the evilish men from that area didn't stumble across Hobbiton and fuck shit up?

holy shit is that real?

Because there was no such a thing as Goblins anywhere near the Shire, and the humans were those in Bree who for the most part had a enduring commercial relationship with the Hobbits, and thus had no reason to fuck shit up.

His parents were dead!

>What did frodo do for a living?

In the books he was Bilbo Baggins' ward. Bilbo returned from his trip with the dwarves very, very wealthy ( The trolls' hoard was given to him, rather than him lug gold from The Lonely Mountain).

Frodo's parents died in a boating accident, Bilbo took him in.

underrated

Hobbits don't really have the disposition to power-trip.

Is it just me or anyone else thinks that Elijah Wood is underrated?

he's The Guy

el justo jaja

There was tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Golfimbul and the Fell Winter when they were invaded by Wargs. In general though the Shire was protected by the rangers which is why Saruman was able to take control when they all left for the War of the Ring.

That was surreal

They're an offshoot tribe of Humans

Excellent post, you should be ashamed.

KEK

Smoke weed every day.

wtf?

Frodo was shit-tier next to Bilbo. Bilbo had it for half a century without going crazy. The only moment it showed a tiny bit was when he had to hand it over, and even then he did it in the end while Frodo slipped it on and tried to escape.

It's basically because hobbits are innocent creatures who don't really covet power or money like men do. Sam is just as happy as Frodo, despite being Frodo's fucking gardener.

user i think the obvious point of these books was that the industrial revolution was a mistake, not America; imagine a nation stretched sea to shining sea perpetually stuck in the late 18th century where telegrams and railroads are the most advanced technology. Paradise. Not some steam punk tardopolis, more like an infinite western. Manifest destiny in perpetuity.

gardener must be a comfy job

Do you understand what manifest destiny is?

"landscape artist" is a comfy job. That's what all the rich white women and gay people do these days, instead of being interior decorators. Gardening is the opposite of comfy, spending your days digging, often on your knees, and clipping trees in the heat, getting a stern word from the master if you don't water the grass enough or fuck up "his" flowerbed.

>Frodo's parents died in a boating accident
Oh well Mr. ME-ATF now there's no evidence whatsoever, What a shame.

He was lazy as fuck tho. Probably smoked his weed and did jack shit when Mr. Frodo wasn't looking.

he obviously does not.

But that would be beautiful.