imgur.com/a/IYOWC
youtube.com/watch?v=DD-pPWOzWWo
youtube.com/watch?v=eOBKIJ5dyHk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

oh its this thread again

A.
fuck you.

ot:
D3 season 8 is out, who has the wings already?

Portal equals a doorframe
Doorframe falls on a cube, cube poops out on the other side without any force acting on it
Now shut up fag

It doesn't matter how fast the portal is moving if the object it's self has no momentum going in it's not going to have any going out. It's really not that hard to understand.

pretty sure OP was bait.

The cube doesn't have any momentum on it

so, if we take the "side" of the doorframe the is entered to be the orange portal, and the other "side" to be the blue portal, we find that the speed at which the door is moving towards the cube is the as the speed at which the cube is moving away from the door when it emerges from the other side.

So the answer is B.

Honestly I'm pretty sure it is because this isn't the first I've seen this, but on the off chance this is someone doing this unironically...

Oh? If this is bait then explain how the cube appears through the blue portal without ANY velocity at all.

Isn't there a level editor for Portal 2? Why not build this and test it?

And this is the view of the problem as seen when standing next to the blue portal.
It becomes blindingly obvious that the answer is B.

>C. Cube crushed
I died this way playing Portal 1.

In that case B is correct.
However, Afags don't want to accept it as proof, since it's "an imperfect simulation of what would happen in real life"
In reality, it's because they're sore losers.

the entire universe on the other side of the orange portal is moving
all motion is relative
however the orange portal stops on the table instantly
so the block enters the orange universe very quickly but it doesn't matter because they're both moving the same speed relative to each other (0) as soon as the orange portal stops on the table
therefore A

>this thread again
B is basically proven at this point. Stop trying to bait them OP.

imgur.com/a/IYOWC

The only reason it's going out of the portal is because the cube posses length. Imagine you are walking though a doorway. If you walk halfway through a door way half of you will be on one side and half on the other, if you walk fully through a door way all of you will have gone from one side to another. However if the doorway is moving and passes you and you're standing still, once the doorway passes you you will still be standing still and no matter how fast the doorway goes if you're standing still you be staying still when the doorway passes.

>The only reason it's going out of the portal is because the cube is made of stuff
nice non-answer there.
What is the speed of the box as it's moving out of the blue portal?
You should be able to answer this.

>doorway
Ok, doorway analogy is officially debunked. Anybody that posts it after this post is just a fucking retard at this point.

youtube.com/watch?v=DD-pPWOzWWo

I know this is b8, but whatever.

The answer is neither A nor B

C is just A but ignoring gravity like a fucking dunce.

Wtf? The cube doesn't just stick to the slope, your answer is A, minus gravity

Portals in Portal cannot exist on moving objects you fuck, so it's neither A or B.

You're all fucking faggots, and this question is irrelevant.
Portals can't exist on moving platforms.
Neither A nor B would happen because neither one CAN happen.
/thread

>my nigger

When the cube is appearing on the other side of the portal, the red dot on the face of the cube moves from point A to point B very quickly, and yet A-tards would have you believe that the cube has NO MOMENTUM AT ALL.

I bet you both failed phil 101.

the "door" has momentun, the cube don't.

the right answer is A. KYS, faggot!

Of course A. If a window zooms at you at the speed of light, and you jump through it, you don't suddenly burst into flames as you accelerate into ash.

You just jump through it and land.

Retarded.

The gravity pulling the cube to the table is almost non-existent, the gravity pulling the cube down the ramp is stronger. Depending on the angle of the ramp, the weight of the cube and the materials touching each other, the cube will either stay or slide down.

The only Phil I've failed is my father faggot

the door has momentum relative to the cube == the cube has momentum relative to the door.

>window
see

¦:¬)

>phil 101
>phil 101 teaching basic physics

We already know you're not in college and haven't taken the course, you don't need to try that hard.

There is no force or any acceleration from the object being teleported, the only momentum is being created from the object holding the door.

That momentum cannot be transfered to a static object.

no, phil 101 teaches what a thought experiment is.

In other words: WOOSH

neither is right because portals disappear on moving platforms

You're late to the party buddy

Y'all need to listen to that man. He speaks wisdom.

>
>You're late to the party buddy
This.

We're supposing that they don't.

Yeah, fantastic, great detective work. Except I'm referring to how it works in the game.

B makes sense to me. The cube has momentum relative to the portal.

just to clarify, you honestly think that a portal that the object is likely to fling through it just because it enveloped it quickly?
kek

He's right and you know it. Or you're just a retard how either can't accept the truth or doesn't understand it. Denying correct arguments against your opinion won't help much.

>captcha: STOP ONCE

finally someone with a fkin brain

Y'all retarded sons of bitches should go back to school

No you aren't, you're making shit up.

Have you ever played Portal?

They live in a different imaginary world to you.

People don't just understand reference frames.

Did you even look at the image?
They're 2 completely different situations and you have to do some truly impressive mental gymnastics to come to the conclusion that they're exactly the same.

It's the velocity of the cube that determines how fast it exits a portal. It would just plop out given that it isn't moving.

Yes, and it's irrelevant. Portals in game only work as a doorway because they DON'T MOVE.

Watch this video from about 4:40 to see why you're wrong.

Because they CAN'T MOVE.

Velocity relative to what? Velocity isn't absolute. The portal enveloping the cube means that the velocity of the cube relative to the portal is the same as if thrown into it at the same speed as the portal is moving.

Gravity will bring the cube down.

I agree the answer is A as long as the cube actually makes it all the way through the portal.

and in this THOUGHT EXPERIMENT we're supposing that they can.

A. you idiot. the cube has no momentum

In that case it's either A (no plopping but just sliding off), or C (too much friction working against gravity).

it has momentum relative to the portal.
The cubes momentum relative to my dog doesn't help us solve the problem. What matters is the cubes momentum relative to the orange portal, which is not 0.

>portals can't be placed on moving objects
Play portal 2 already, dipshits.

but that's wrong, and there are plenty of arguments as to why it's wrong already posted ITT.

fuck off retard.

Bait, portal would collapse due to movement before it reached the cube

Its just like throwing a hoolahoop over someone. As soon as the hoolahoop hits the floor, the person wont suddenly fly up because relative to the hoolahoop they were moving so fast. A portal is a direct connection from point X to Y, the same applies to a hoolahoop. The only thing that differs is the location of X and Y.

Holy shit dude you need to fucking kill yourself for being that fucking retarded, go back and read it again until you get it dumb fuck

Again, great, except we can only rely on what we see in-game to determine what would happen. If you're assuming that the traditional basic laws of momentum and energy apply to portal technology, you may need a different picture. Re-skin it to avoid confusion, because that isn't how they work in-game.

You are retarded just picture it for one second, the answer is A.

They do apply to portals faggot "speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out"

>relativity

Next your gonna tell me that gravity bends light.

I can't believe how fucking stupid you are. The cube would stand still, nor A or B. Stand still. There is still gravity pulling from the platform where it's standing you morons, and it's equal to the gravity pulling outside blue side. It's basically refrigerator magnet... A shitty one.

>i-it's like a hula hoop guys
This phrase indicates an A-tards confusion and lack of understanding. When confronted with something he can not understand or respond to, A-tards mumble, "Muh hula hoop" or "muh doorframe muthafucka". This is usually accompanied by ape-like screeches.

Seriously kill yourself you Mongoloid.

But static thing goes in, static thing goes out.

Momentum is velocity*mass, not speed*mass.

Anyone gonna comment on Einsteins theory of relative velocities?

So, what is the speed of the box when it's halfway out of the blue portal?
I'm waiting.

Can't answer without running into a logical contradiction? Poor guy.

The block will appear quickly but after completely going through the portal it would lose all velocity because the portal is acting as a doorway to the other side. It is like saying if you drop a hoop down around someone when the hoop hits the floor the person would fly up into the air.

If you had the cube, then you dropped a hoop over it, it wouldn't shoot up as fast as you dropped the hoop. The portal is just the equivalent of a hoop being dropped around the cube.

Yeah, portals if we dissociate the portals in the picture with the portals in the game, Portal. In real life if that's your assumption, sure. But if we're describing how the portals and the cube in the picture would work, in Portal, not some different portals in our 3-D world, then A is the answer.

If you're attempting to describe what would happen in OUR world, B is the answer.

>portals on moving surfaces

Inb4 that portal 2 bit.

Beat me by one post fucker

Hula hoop = both portals are moving, then both portals stop.
OPs problem: ONE portal is moving, then ONE portal stops, AFTER the box is already completely on the other side of the portal.

YOUR ANALOGY DOESN'T APPLY HERE YOU RETARD

from the hoops frame of reference yes, portals are a weird way of merging two frames as one so the laws of relative motion are maintained

This better be bait or you need to kill yourself right now for being this god damn stupid. Try thinking about the problem for a second, it might help you solve it

Oh look the box gains momentum. B is correct.

You're the one who clearly hasn't thought about the problem.
youtube.com/watch?v=eOBKIJ5dyHk

It is not the same because in the second situation the block has velocity but in the first situation the block has no velocity , so when it exits the portal the block will not fly out. So the answer is A.

Yeah, if you violate how it works in-game and pretend the portals work differently.

The picture asked what would happen in Portal. In Portal, it would be A. In real life, B would happen.

Look, simplifying the problem does no good if you can't defend your simplification.
The hula hoop example is only analogous to a situation where both portals are moving together.

The object would still appear out of the other portal the way i described it you fucking idiot.

Actually the orange portal would collapse in game

>Portals can't be placed on moving surfaces in game

The space that the cube is in is moving, not the cube itself.

It has no kinetic energy or inertia by the time its through thé portal.

No, In the game portals can't be placed on moving objects.
And when you remove that limitation you will find B is the correct answer through experimentation. I would post the webm of it, but cuckchan doesn't allow webms with sound.

It doesn't matter where the fuck those portals are going, the cube is sitting still on a platform. Before it's enveloped by the portal, it's sitting still on the platform. After the cube is enveloped by the portal, it is sitting still on the platform. Nothing has touched the cube to make it move so why would it?

You fucking retard, have ou ever heard of relativity? in an inertial frame of reference it's the relative velocity that matters. In both cases there is relative motion between the portal and cube, it doesn't matter which one is moving, but the fact that one is moving in relation to another.
again, go back to fucking school. this is basic 11th grade stuff, or even earlier

A
momentum conservation

The box has no momentum.