Help bros

Help bros.

I want to build a small size desktop pc to use for heavy duty video and photo editing. I'm currently using a XPS 15 9530 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200H CPU @ 2.80GHz, 8 meg) and I want something that will be quite a bit faster. What think yous of this? pcpartpicker.com/list/tK4JkT

Overkill? Not enough? I don't think I need graphics card with integrated graphics already. Not doing 3D editing and I think the processing is more CPU than GPU intensive. Am I right or wrong?

Thanks bros

Should be an okay build

meant 8 GB ram obviously

thanks

No gfx card?

im thinking i dont need one if im not doing gaming or 3d graphics stuff. CPU has integrated and if i'm right video/photo editing is more CPU intensive.

i could be wrong and some of you know better than i do. that's why im asking.

Skylake

Can't read apparently. It should be okay. I had 3700K with OC. I never did any photo editing without gfx card though. I'd be hesitant on just leaving it up to integrated gfx for heavy photo editing

yeah im hesitant too... that's why i posted actually. but i figure i can always plug one in if it turns out my idea was a bad idea lol.

ha yeah agreed. I've built two desktops before (3700K and my now 6700K). If you got one of the K CPUs, you can overclock and that shouldn't be a problem. But if not, then yeah I would at least get a dedicated, even if it's a lower end one.

But yes you can always pop a gfx card in after you build for sure.

lol. i actually just had gone over to the build and upgraded CPU to K before checking here again. same page. thanks bro.

Awesome. Make sure you get a mobo that can support overclocking too if you get a K CPU. It should start with Z for the type

For photo editing you will be fine, but for video editing, specially higher qualities (1080 1440 etc) you should get a gpu. You can do it without one but it will take you a long time to render, its like the difference between walking 10 miles and biking 10 miles, sure you'll get there eventually but a bike helps

I'd stick to a Skylake CPU and would increase RAM (DDR4, obviously) to 32 GB so you could use it as RAM disk. Also, I'm not a fan of your SSD choice. Better take a model with NVMe support (Samsung PM961 or 960 Evo/Pro), which has six times the speed of yours. Take note that your motherboard has to support all these things if you change anything.

32 gigs of ram would not make a difference, people overestimate how useful ram is, 16 gigs is already overkill for most things trust me, or search it up if you don't believe me

Also to increase to DDR4 you would have to upgrade the motherboard and the cpu which would be far too much of a hassle

I'm I agree with Skylake for CPU. Has better integrated gfx so that could do with heavy photo editing. DDR4 is not needed and no added benefit besides power saving. 16GB RAM should be enough and I would suggest that. 32GB is overkill.

I7-6700 or i7-6700K (if you want to overclock) is a better choice, afaik for your processor.
Should cost about the same as your i7 here.
For RAM:
You could stick with 2x8 and add another 2x8 later, though I do not know shit about video and picture editing and how much RAM you need.
350W is really enough?
Even for an i7?
I don't know about non-GPU builds, though, not sure about the power consumption.
Otherwise okay.

Btw:
New MoBo for new i7

thanks bros. very helpful stuff. OP here.

Get a gpu, dude. Grab a rx 480 nitro, those have allot of shaders(helps with video rendering) and they are only 250 bucks

If you upgrade to the 6700 you would need a LGA1151 Motherboard and you would need DDR4 RAM. Honestly this build is good it just needs a gpu if it will do intense video editing

do you have a budget?

For that money, just go Skylake. For small form factor, do the non k with stock cooler. Ain't gonna fit that noctua in there and the sff will limit over clocking ability. Skylake also does not officially support ddr3, you'd have to get low voltage stuff if you found a mb that supported it. Externalize your CD drive for the off chance you actually need one to save case space.

It IS overkill for most things, but not photo and video editing

well... i'd like to stay in the $1000 range. i was looking a lot lower but then realized spending a bit more could get me a lot more juice. i want to use SSD for OS only and have big HDD for storage. Just want something that is noticeably faster than what im using now.

i know can't have everything but $1000 seems like sweet spot.

Not completely true.
It depends on how many years you want to work with the same PC without upgrading.
It is probably easier to get DDR4 parts and newer CPUs later on if you take the new mobo now.

I made the decision of going a bit cheaper with one of my PCs and retrospectively it was a bad decision because of old mobo not supporting new RAM above 4GB.

$1000 is quite doable. I agree with others, get a Skylake CPU. Up the power supply to maybe 650w (especially if you plan to put in a dedicated GPU later). Change mobo to fit Skylake CPU (if K CPU, get Z series mobo).

For video editing, photo editing you should get more RAM. 16gb

Yes you would, not sure if you know but the cpu has to match the motherboard, if the CPU is LGA1150 and the mother board were LGA1151 or vise versa it will not work. It is literally impossible for him to get the 6700 on his current motherboard