I don't get it

I don't get it.

So what, his quip is that he's autistic or what? I don't get his music.

that's because autistics don't recognize other autistics.

plebeian

>getting this offended
For a minute you'd think I was on reddit.

>guy makes a series of innocent, beautiful and poetic outsider pop records
>decades later pallid music nerds still feel the need to insult his music because he suffers from mental illness
i hate people

Literally who?

He was schizophrenic AND bipolar

Guy was seriously fucked in the head but made some nice music. If you don't like it then don't make a fuckin thread about it just move on

Not getting his music isn't insulting him.

Seems like a genuine bloke, just not so sure what the fuzz is about. I mean, you gotta be a teenager to appreciate it or something? I'm way past my teens and I'm listening to the dude for the first time.

Sounds about right. It's reflected in his music.

Maybe watch The Devil and Daniel Johnston? Even if it doesn't turn you onto his music it's still a beautiful film

I think that he had amazing pop sensibilities on par with musicians like brian wilson and that if he had had a better support system his music would've been better realized, although people really fetishize his struggle with mental illness i think.

Anybody got a link to the movie?

The problem was that Daniel didn't wanted to work with studios though, he turned down Elektra because he thought they were satanic, though its fun to imagine in some alternate universe Daniel did accept the offer and became like Ween

poor guy

Why would be become like Ween

Mentally ill guy with negligible talent that hypocritical identity-politics fags latch onto over his disability

Ween did lo-fi/bedroom outsider pop before they signed to Electra records just like Danny did before they signed in to Electra

think randy newman, but with an innocent emotional aesthetic rather than witty jewish guy

Yeah he's had a rough life.. he apparently almost killed himself and his father once after taking the keys out of the plane his dad was piloting and throwing them out of the window because some voice told him to or something... luckily his dad was good enough to glide the plane down and land safely

FPBP

Dude he had serious talent, it's just he had nothing to work with so produced very cheap lo fi work. Some of his songs just sound... insane. But if you check him out deeper you find some truly great songs

>was

Yeah, good thing he got all that mental illness cured. He bumped into me at a show once and he smelled like farts and dust

I saw him about 7 or 8 years ago and all night he was shaking uncontrollably

That's around the same time I saw him too. He did not look well

> stop trying to discuss music on Sup Forums!!

he's probably one of those Nirvana wannabe punks who wear a "hi how're u doin" shirts unironically

Listening to hi how are you for the first time

this album is fucking me up
why did I think I could study while listening to it oh my god

I WAS LIVING IN A DEVIL TOWN

>being this defensive
I called you a plebeian, which is basically what you are if Daniel Johnston is really that hard to get into for you.

I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS A DEVIL TOWN

It's not hard. I listen to just about everything, I've no genre I'm harping on, I can go from Harsh Noise to Hip-Hop, Black Metal, Synthpop, whatever.

Maybe you're just projecting insecurity because you feel "superior" for enjoying a very mainstream artist that I see no appeal in. Like I said above, I guess you have to be a teenager to get it, kinda like Star Wars.

If you don't "get" daniel, youre listening wrong

He's a guy who made music. That's IT. He has no ulterior motive, no ironic anything. No marketing tricks or schemes. He was just a guy who made his own music in the 1980s.

If you don't understand, you should take a step back and listen for music's sake, not for artist's image

Funny cause everyone I know that listens to Daniel Johnston obsesses over the mentally ill lo-fi aesthetic

we're all walking he cow really

>Like I said above, I guess you have to be a teenager to get it, kinda like Star Wars.
im a gay guy, so i roll my eyes a lot, but you got my biggest eye roll of the month you pretentious cock

>tfw no use in living anymore

>That one guy who brings his sexuality into everything because he has no other "interesting" thing about his personality
Give it a rest, sissy.

>tfw i see his music as more image than music so i can't listen it seriously
I'll never make it