What does Sup Forums think of Aesop Rock?

What does Sup Forums think of Aesop Rock?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1oFs_JG5KcI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Invented the lyrical spiritual individual stereotype

he's good but reddit makes him seem like the greatest rapper that ever lived

People need to stop calling him "underground".

his record sales are shit so it's understandable

hes from my hometown but no one i know listens to him

wrong

>holds up thesaurus

backpacker rap

define

/thread

Backpackers: People who only listen to underground or conscious rap. Backpackers will call things "real hip hop" and say that they only listen to "Hip Hop" as opposed to rap. Backpackers assume that their tastes are better than someone who listens to mainstream rap. Backpackers will dismiss an artist for being mainstream. Backpackers don't listen to party music and dismiss people like Waka or 2 Chainz for not being lyrical when that's clearly not their purpose.

found that summary on reddit

he's decent but he definitely does suffer from the backpacker thing was talking about.

that and i know he's been around slightly longer but i still kinda think he's a poor man's Busdriver

how is that an insult

mainstream rap today is entirely different to underground that it might as well be classed as a different genre. it's preference, not snobbery

you must have quite the imagination

J Cole is backpacker rap, do you want to be associated with that? There are different kinds of mainstream hip-hop, some of those being conscious rap too. The point is that there is in fact an air of snobbery around Aesop fans for listening to 'real' hip-hop.

Excellent most of the time, he has some lines here and there that are subpar, but I think he's good.

Fuck the whole "better than Shakespeare" meme, his last record proved he could still channel something using a much more elementary vocabulary.

>Used to draw
Hard to admit that I used to draw
Portraiture and the human form
Doodle of a two-headed unicorn
It was soothin', movin' his arm in a fusion
Of man-made tools and a muse from beyond
Even if it went beautifully wrong
It was tangible truth for a youth who refused to belong

that's true to an extent and i'm definitely more into alternative rap than mainstream stuff but a lot of the time the connotation is "i don't listen to nigger music" and when people try to act superior for it they're basically just trying to create a gentrified sub genre

>poor man's Busdriver
This

pic related? what even is this pic?

>Aesop Rock
>not Greek
>not rock

What a mad man

hes a pretty good freestyler 2bh
most of his albums are a mixed bag.
really liked the impossible kid though, and i wish el-p would give him a feature

>busdriver
he's as cringy and awful as milo

are you saying they're cringier than aesop? that's just bullshit.

personally i enjoy milo but i wouldn't argue against saying he's cringey, like some of his references are a little forced and he can feel preachy and sudointellektual at times.

driver on the other hand is only cringey if you're not listening to his music critically enough to understand the shit he's talking about and catch his wordplay and just writing him off because he sounds quirky. there are plenty of good reasons people praise him on here.

when has aesop ever been cringy
>driver on the other hand is only cringey if you're not listening to his music critically enough
oh boy

>I am Regan
>I don't rap for free
>And yes I’ve got a bachelors degree but you knew that, come on
>And still you never would admit how sick I've become

lets do another

>I'm a frequent flyer
>And a decent liar
>And that's a lie in itself but you knew that, come on
>And still you never would admit how sick I've become

and another
Crying in my underwear
I lost my sense of wonder, there
No, I'm not Milan Kundera
Though this lightness is unbearable
The feeling is indelible
I'm wishing I could teleport somewhere

busdriver is awful

Him and Eyedea are pretty great.

Wouldn't know. I don't listen to shit "music."

That last quote was Milo lmao

thats the joke

Who, might I add, admitted to being high as shit when he wrote that verse. As later on he says "I remember when Vegeta stomped Bardock's neck in", which never fuckin happened in the Dragon Ball series.

>dude i was high lmao

I got pretty into him for a while, but sort of fell away from him. Still think he's immensely talented.

My favourite of his:
youtube.com/watch?v=1oFs_JG5KcI

same

>busdriver is cringy
>quote from first verse of first song on a concept album about eugenics and racism in which he's already starting to subtly delve into those things.
>irrelevant ass milo quote from one of his worst verses

are you a bad troll or just really bad at reading lyrics? not to mention that this is roughly as much of Busdriver's music as you'd have heard 5 minutes after looking him up for the first time.

as for Aes being cringy he makes plenty of video game references and says other somewhat corny shit a lot. I enjoy his music but at the end of the day the fact that he's a nerdy white dude rapping about his life as one is at least a tiny bit corny.

Boring, like every rapper post-94

this is the equivalent of saying rock died with the beatles god you're retarded

THE

I really like him. He has great flow, good voice, his lyrics are really inventive, his style is unique and his songs have cool and unusual themes, unlike many rappers who repeat the same themes in their songs all the time. He avoids rapping about himself which pisses me off about lots of rap albums where the rapper keeps going on about how hard his life is but he's awesome and strong and a great rapper and how many bitches they fuck. He raps just some stories or more casual stuff instead which is really cool and fresh, like a song about how he was shooting fireworks with friends, a song about a kid who fell into a pool and got saved by a dog, a song about how he's dealing with death of a friend etc.

None Shall Pass was really good, many songs I really liked but also couple I really disliked and the production for some of the songs felt a bit amateurish. Overall it wasn't very cohesive, more like a mixtape with random songs that didn't really work with eachother.

Skelethon was fucking excelent from every angle, I liked every single track on this album and it felt like all the songs belonged together yet the songs were diverse as well, it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

The newest album continues with the high production value of Skelethon but I felt like couple of the songs sounded a bit too similar to eachother but it wasn't too noticeable. I still really liked it.

You got your timelines wrong there bud, 94 is 74 in rock years. It's more like saying rock died with Floyd or Zeppelin

you're right but i mean the fact still stands that it's the same shitty "x-genre died once it stopped sticking to the conventions i like" meme which imo is like rock bottom of not being aware of how retarded you look while trying to be pretentious about music.

Weed being a meme is completely irrelevant to the fact that it is a drug, and under the influence of drugs humans do silly things

>busdriver
YO THIS KID PUSHES LIKE A FUCKING IDIOT

I like his lyrics and flow but his songwriting and production are pretty bland.

I never got this argument. Hip hop relies almost entirely on the vocals, but because he's so word heavy he's shit?

He's best when paired with someone. Him and Rob Sonic make some of the best stuff in the genre.

>None Shall Pass was really good

One of my all time favourites. Aced the sampling and the slower tempoed but strong beat suits his rap style perfectly. Wish he'd produce more often in that direction.

I like his goofy lyrics and I like his command of the english langauge.

Float is better than Labor Days.