ITT: Ask a marine biologist specializing in coral taxonomy anything...

ITT: Ask a marine biologist specializing in coral taxonomy anything. I'll be bumping with recent tank pics and other inhabitants.

Any other tankfags on?

Other urls found in this thread:

collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg03_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=1829
phys.org/news/2011-02-world-coral-reefs.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Show us some cool shit

I've considered moving to Florida to get into coral aquaculture. Is it worth it?

How long until coral reefs are fucked based on your knowledge?

Not OP, but coral reefs will never be totally fucked. They've survived worse than humans.

My name is Jake Rosen and i LOVE fish and their tanks

quads confirms

but for real how is the scientific consensus on that?

how often are you asked if you have a 'nemo'

What kind of fish is this?

Honestly dude? Don't get into the hobby thinking you're going to make a ton of cash. That's where a lot of people have problems understanding. Corporate big wigs usually make a SHIT TON of money. Coral farmers do not make a good living - there's not much money in that aspect.

The oceans have been fucked for a very long time, we are just now seeing the consequences. The ocean as a whole works in unison with everything around it. People have dumped, like legitimately poured so many toxic chemicals in their there's a reason they won't show tourists parts of the Great Barrier Reef.

alright

what is this?
>inb4 coral

Lurkin for shits. Got a lagoon style macro tank rn, no coral this time.

Which country has the best coral reefs and stuff?

Is that a fairy wrass?

The scientific "consensus" is "OMG We're all gonna fucking die! Global warming oh fucking no! *ahem* btw ignore all that hunting and pollution and sprawl and stuff."

But seriously, the fossil record of corals is pretty long. Scleractinian corals were around during the Mesozoic so they survived the end-Cretaceous extinction event. And their lineage traces at least back to rugose corals which survived the fucking Permian.

>Don't get into the hobby thinking you're going to make a ton of cash.
Oh I'd never expect that. Biology pays shit. It's more for the pleasure. But I mean what are the prospects like for job availability, required qualifications, etc.? Also, Florida has gone pretty thoroughly to hell but I miss it from the 80s.

How long do you think humanity has to live based on the damage done to the ocean ecosystem? Clearly ocean acidification is going to be a major problem soon, but do you think mankind has any sort of chance?

I know these are loaded questions for this sort of thread but I might as well get some varied input on the issue since it has made me pretty paranoid.

Hi OP, I own a saltwater aquarium and one of the creatures I own is called astropyga radiata. I can't seem to find any info on how venomous it really is and was wondering if you could tell me? I heard it's sting is pretty bad

Do you think ocean acidification would have a different effect on corals than a asteroid would as a result of the breakdown of organic material?

how much pussy does it get you?

Ocean acidification is mostly a bullshit scare tactic. The oceans are NOT going to become acidic enough to dissolve corals and other hard-bodied marine organisms through anything but direct runoff from human settlements. Honestly, global warming alarmists have gone full fucking retard. If these morons actually GAVE A SHIT about the biosphere they would actually be trying to DO FUCKING SOMETHING to try to limit population growth or water pollution or poaching or sprawl. But they're not. They're not doing fucking shit. All they're doing is sitting on their academic asses and claiming muh CO2 is going to nuke the planet while they ignore Chinks exterminating the last of the rhinos.

6 freshwater tanks my dude
too much of a poorfag to invest in a reef

To be fair nobody can really do anything about the most polluting governments (China) since scientists have no real power and all governments care about is money.

Aus dag here

Is the Great Barrier Reef really dead or is the mass bleaching overhyped

Of course they can. We can actually crack down on them through sanctions and enforcement of international law, instead of just letting Asians do whatever the fucking hell they want. Honestly, the problem is the rich. They WANT things to be this way so they can have slave armies in their lawless eastern continent instead of having to pay workers actual fair wages with legal protections.

>all governments care about is money.
Exactly.

not OP. but don't worry about it. treat as you would with any minor venom (bees, wasps, etc) and call a doctor when possible

I think OP might be dead now.

can all fishos change sex in a single sex environment? my blood dragon cichlids seem to be doing this and i know clownfish do it

Op i got a salt water tank it 180 gal w/ a 120 gal sump waters clean as fuck but i cant seem to keep any aninamies alive. Can you tell me what im doing wrong?

Thanks user, appreciate it

it's not dead yet, but it really will be eventually

What have you tried to add? Did you cycle the tank? Have you checked the water chemistry? Do you know the parameters of your local water source?

Baiting a fish thread. So meta.

No dude legit ???

Tank hasnt been cycled, take weekly water test water is good calcium a lil high but in limits.

i think he meant 'aninamies'

So you tried to add animals without cycling the tank? Were they hardy as fuck like mollies or something? What have you DONE so far? And yeah, they're probably dying because you haven't cycled the tank yet.

Yeah sorry dumb american i cant spell

the fact that you know about water tests and calcium levels and shit but didn't cycle your tank perplexes me

The heads of a eyphyllia? Or maybe ricordia florida?

Should have added.. The polar ice caps melting is also making a HUGE impact on all reefs. That much fresh water is diluting all the salts and minerals in the water column. The less saltier the ocean gets, the harder it is for life tiving there to properly take in ogygen and hydrogen. Thus making it harder for any life to live.

BUT, the ocean life is very adaptive and has thus far surprised me in many ways. Some things are making a comeback we haven't seen in places in twenty years.

Palu Batam. Here is a shot of our helicopter leaning there. It was just breathtaking.

Nope, but close! You're in the right family though!

Wait until you have plenty of gobebuds before you try to add aninamies. That'll indicate a mature tank that the latter require.

Tank was set up professional all fish and corals are healthy and alive i just cant keep the aninamies alive

Holy fuck what? I thought you mispelled "animals". You're trying to keep anemones alive in an uncycled tank?? Do you even know what species? Anemones are very demanding. Even the """""easy""""" species tend to wither and die without full-sun levels of lighting and good water quality.

Where´s the best place and cheap for study marine biologist, in USA or whenever you study?

pubic hair of the sea, whos needs it

if it was professionally set up, they may have seeded some bacteria from a cycled tank/filter (hopefully, anyways)

bullshit on best country. Okinawa, Japan. Best and healthiest

>Should have added.. The polar ice caps melting is also making a HUGE impact on all reefs. That much fresh water is diluting all the salts and minerals in the water column. The less saltier the ocean gets, the harder it is for life tiving there to properly take in ogygen and hydrogen. Thus making it harder for any life to live.
Biology students should really be trained to take into consideration geologic time scales, the history of terrestrial evolution and historical temperatures when trying to predict "catastrophes" from global warming. Of course, if they did that, nobody would.

Pic related. You and everyone else on this planet.

Without a list of what species you're trying to keep and your hardware (lighting especially) it's almost impossible to tell what's happening. Although my first suspicion is insufficient lighting or a fish picking at them.

I've had green water for the past month. Tried to combat it with zooplancton, helped only for a few days. And the uv-c lamp camw broken, waiting for a new one now. Help?

I'm sorry people. OP here, I got SUPER high and things are going kinda bouncy wouncy.

No worries mate! Maybe someday you will get to enjoy what lies beneath the ocean. It truly is breathtaking. : )

I have never heard of that species before... What family is that in?

The mass anything is always going to be overhyped. Media and all that love stories. You have to realize literally everything in this life is information consumed, and then received. The worst part is that not a lot of people actually get to see the real life effects over the majority. It is not doing well, I can tell you that. But it's not nearly as bad as we expected (thank god).

I don't know a thing about freshwater man, I'm really sorry. I've always had a lust for ocean life.

Im waiting

CSU Monterey Bay.
I can't believe how fucking useless OP is.

Wrong method. You're treating symptoms rather than causes. Algal blooms are basically always caused by too much animal waste in the water and insufficient filtration of it. Have less animals, or get better filtration - either start an algal turf scrubber, do more frequent water changes, invest in a decent protein skimmer or two or go full denitrifier (make sure you remember to dose with a carbon source like vodka - look up how to do this properly online if you do it or you could nuke your tank) or do some combination of these.

>Studying marine biology
>Cheap
I have some bad news for you. Marine biology is only offered in a few schools in America for some absolutely fucking retarded reason, and they're all expensive as hell. You will NOT make enough in the field to pay off your loans either. That's a promise.

Well he is high.

CSUMB is one of the cheapest CSUs in CA if not the cheapest. Where are you getting your information

how is the radiation affecting the pasific ocean?

Like...3000 a semester

it's not

>I've always had a lust for ocean life.

Shamu-fucking freak.

marine biology is somewhat big here in the uk

collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg03_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=1829

I guess it's a bit more reasonable than I expected. Attending in Florida is fucking outrageous. You can spend 100k+ a year.

Where the hell you getting off this easy? That's like community college tuition.

Sup Forums meme. Ignore it.

Well you are an island.

Theres barely any reefs in florida

yeah it makes sense considering we're an island XD

Fellow biologist here (botany variety). How do you cope with the fact that you will have nothing to study in 30 years?

phys.org/news/2011-02-world-coral-reefs.html

tankfag here, to be specific I'm a Elasmobranchologist (shark researcher). sup! ama too

Need any work done? Need cash and am committed to kek times.

There's a massive aquaculture business in Florida. It's one of the aquarium hubs of planet Earth actually.

There's something worse than humans?

It's merely perception, friend. I did not start this thread to go off into symanecs about something like this.

When I see a (you), that gets my attention quicker. Sorry dude, I'm ducking high.

There's actually a reason I'm not married my man. It's A LOT of fucking hard work -(more so on the body, going into all types of different environments and such). But you get to travel to places you'd never even dream about. On the other hand, some of these places are complete shit. So it's kinda a comes with the life territory sort of thing.

Yeah, that's per year. And that's disgusting. And Florida is shitty.
CSU. California State University. I'm in California.Our CC admission is like...half that. I went to a CC for a couple years that was $24 a unit when I started and $48 or something when I left. I think it's still one of the cheapest in the country.

Well during the Permian, a large part of the planet turned into a literal ocean of lava and drowned the planet in poisons. If we're correct, at the end of the Cretaceous a giant asteroid or comet smashed into the planet fucking shit all to hell. There are other mass extinction events worse than humans. Humans are actually a minor mass extinction event. But it's rare for one species to cause one. It's only possibly happened one other time - when bacteria filled the atmosphere with oxygen and poisoned the anaerobes.

Jesus Christ, I think you found literally THE CHEAPEST tuition in the country for marine biology.

Cirrhilabrus solorensis male

Why is it so difficult for governments and people to start artificial reefs?

Damn I tore down my salt water set up 10 years ago but this is making me miss it

>The oceans have been fucked for a very long time, we are just now seeing the consequences

stfu, the ocean is so fucking vast, we couldnt fuck it up even if we wanted to

It isn't. They just don't care. Starting reefs is incredibly easy. Find shallow water in the tropics. Dump rocks/tires/concrete/coffee tables/planes/trains/automobiles, done. Most conservation is actually rather easy. Humans are just shit and don't give a fuck.

And I'm not even Jew.
Glad I could help.

Verified