Any music major fags here?

Currently studying vocal performance

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oVtBgdTMGMg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is that, a Hungarian song?

French
L'Enfant et les sortileges by ravel

Unaccompanied aria? Wouldn't have expected that for Ravel.

I only zoomed in to the kek

It's an opera, this part is accompanied for sure

>vocal performance
singing is the lowest form of communication

I think I just figured it out. This isn't partitur, it's your individual part. Are you the frog?

where you at OP? i have a b.mus in music production & engineering from Berklee

Yes, for a small bit. This is a chorus section. The bigger part for me in this opera is the clock at the beginning.

Currently doing undergrad at the uofa. Applying for grad schools atm

Being a music major was nothing but a big waste of my time.

>Muritard detected.

majoring in jazz saxophone. just started playing gigs. FeelsGoodMan

Singer's trick: Raise your arms straight up over your head, then let them fall to your sides without moving your rib-cage. You get better posture and better control of your wind.

lol... trying this hard

yes... in america we have to deal with strict capitalism. there is no state/country patronage. the only way the government pays you to be a musician is when you play in the army.

I make pretty good money from playing Jazz. About $700 a month just playing my horn. That's on top of my job. It's not that much, but it's extra money I can put back or spend on weed, drugs and shit.

You can always take your degree to Yurrup for real work.

I'm going to be an audio engineer

it can be hit or miss. If you're really good at it you can make bank, but if you're shit you'll just get a bunch of 16 year olds and garage bands.

I do this in lessons! I know a lot of neat tricks to help.

holy shit just realized I had quads...

what sort of work is in europe for musicians

With that and your horn, you can make $700 per month.

I majored in music, currently a high school orchestra director. I Still do quartets and performance on the side, plus clinician work.

Better than McDonald's

you're not wrong

Murikan early-music folks have been working in Yurrup ever since the Boston Camerata closed. Singers and instrumentalists for more mainstream "classical" get jobs in every city on the continent.

Where to start? One composer friend went to The Hague, another to Bruges. A recorder player I knew went to Switzerland. They all worked from personal networks.

must be a Contra Bassoon part

I was a vocal performance/choral music ed double major. Then I dropped performance, then later I also dropped the other to switch to just a regular BA because neither degrees were for me. Now I'm working on applying to grad schools for arts admin c:

>personal networks

welp fuck me then

just because you're resting doesn't mean the rest of the band isn't playing.

just an artifact leftover from the editor splitting the parts in some music software.

Still funny

NOOOO IIIIITTTSSS NOOOOOTTTTTTTTT

>implying people commenting on this thread aren't musicians

no fucking shit.

welp now I'm bored

Congrats!

studying jazz guitar

why?

dat viola part tho

I remember when I was a vocal performance major for a semester...

Then I switched into nursing because I decided I wanted to be employed out of college, make a decent living and help others instead of waste money on a degree in entitlement and egotism.

You're either really, really good, or preparing for an adulthood of dead end jobs and mediocrity.

can confirm that most contrabassoon parts are mostly rests.

not even sure why they even decided to invent such a useless instrument

meh. low end and different timbre than low brass or strings. Not really needed, but can justify it's existence to a certain extent

That's the gamble. I have enough faith in myself and have been told by professional singers/coaches that I could succeed in this profession.

yeah. It's basically how much time you want to invest into practice, getting better and playing with the right people and who you know.

I take it that you weren't very good then?

Take it easy. Christ.

not easy by any stretch. most passions aren't. don't judge others based on their pursuits in life.

kek. Probably one of those people the director told to not sing during the concert.

I've already sang with two companies and performed main roles in operas. I'm excited, I'd rather do this than anything else.

Was always a dream to be a musician, but never happened. I've been playing guitar for 13 years now. I'm okay. What's something I could learn that will make me exceptional

played with James Carter and Stevie Wonder during a festival and have a consistent job at a Jazz club. It really is a wonderful profession.

practice scale patterns i.e pentatonic, diminished, augmented, etc, etudes, and standard rep. Listen to good music (you can't be a good musician if you listen to fucking Pop). Transcribe solos and different parts from tunes you like. Develop your ear in a way that makes what you play organic rather than sounding copied.

solo/improv skills
listening skills (being able to pick up on key signatures, key changes, chord changes, meter changes, etc)
knowing basic functional harmonies for the different genres (12-bar blues, common jazz changes, rock n roll riffs, etc)
rhythm rhythm rhythm

I recommend looking up Mike Stern and Pat Metheny.

youtube.com/watch?v=oVtBgdTMGMg

Pat Metheny's solo is crazy good.

It's funny you all say that. It's really my biggest downfall in playing. I'm glad it's some solid advice instead of saying shit like learn sweeping lol. I'm actually really liking playing indie folk because I can noodle the fuck outta the songs I know.

Thanks you guys.

Of course, man. I might troll about niggers, but music is serious business. I don't fuck around with the future of the art-form I love.

Amen brother

Concert pianist here

Legit question

If you have accompanied singers, what tips would you give to help better the relationship between singers and accompanists?

It was invented by some faggot who wanted to see how low he could go.

Prefer this more.

tuba's have 18 ft of tubing. how much does a contrabassoon have?

studying music production

There's a lot more to being a successful professional musician than just playing well, particularly in capitalist countries. (In fact, more and more, the quality of the musicianship is almost unimportant.) In the US you sort of have to be arrogant and willing to step over everyone else to make it to the top of the heap. In Mexico, "classical" musicians are underappreciated and popular musicians are now mostly histrionic boors who sing out of tune. In Europe, though, people like the Kuijken family can make an excellent living just by being very good musicians.

>kek
In this thread, we seem to be spelling that "kék". See OP illustration.

Harvard Dictionary of Music says "over sixteen feet", but I meant the comment as a Sup Forums joke. Should have spelled it "fagott", I suppose.

ha! german.

>The gamble
I know plenty that have lost the gamble. It's not pretty.
I mean, I was a state top scoring festival vocalist all throughout high school, was readily accepted into every group I've ever auditioned for with every solo/lead I've ever auditioned for. And I continued elective chamber performance after switching majors. As much as I'd love to link any of my performances, I wouldnt care to identify myself on Sup Forums. VP as a college major is such a shitty life move. At least get an education minor so you can become an alcoholic public choir teacher when the economy crashes again and the gig market is flooded with better talent than you.
And you were the tone deaf castradi who sung alto 40 cents flat. What of it, fag?

>castrati*
and the singular would be castrato

I know the struggle. I'd leave a video, but I don't want to identify myself lol

Gottem