Musicians get in here:

Musicians get in here:
>What's your main instrument?
>Do you play anything else?
>How long have you been playing?
>What genre are you most proficient in?
>Why are bassists so fucking thick-skulled?

Faggot basist in my band writes shit he has no ability to play, can't keep a beat and thinks he's on time just because he hit the next section somewhat on time.
Also, he can't tune for shit, and bought himself a guitar with a floyd, probably because I have one, but has no patience to tune the guitar and plays it loud in our shared apartment tuned to shit with the bridge at a 10-20+ degree angle. He's impenetrable to critique in any manner.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/trysn/clcc
youtube.com/watch?v=uuzTD4aGXvc
vocaroo.com/i/s0wxnUwO5ZPi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Guitar
>vocals, but that's hardly an instrument
>10 years this christmas
>death metal and grind, play some blues, doom, jazz, funk and classic flamenco although I'm frankly shit at it all
>sense of grandeur because of their importance?

Is that uncle June ?

Don't even know who Uncle June is, but I doubt it.
This is some old hispanic dude if I remember correctly, creating or playing 8-stringed guitars before the fathers of djent-fags were even concieved.

A real bassist is a wonderful thing.

You have a brotarist.

In it for the chicks bro.

Usually people assume bass is easier so they pick it.

Also, my main is bass. And yes, 99% of people that pick up a bass should put it down and sit in the corner.

Anyone play lap slide guitar here? Love them, but it would be hell to learn one.

I know, I've got great bassists in my family, know plenty of good bassists too, but I only personally know one musician playing what I play, and unfortunately this brotarist is him. I doubt anyone plays our shit for chicks though, he's just immensly self-entitled and prides himself in being 'better' than everyone else. Even telling this faggot to redo some dishes he left food scraps on means a passive aggressive hatestare and an empty "what?" without wanting to hear the answer.

Unfortunately I can't kick him out of the band, we're both founding members. This was okay when I taught him to play bass and he was a newbie, it's not okay 7 years later.

Unfortunately OP doesn't, but would love to learn.

Well I must be the 1% because I am a bassist and all I give a fuck about is timing and holding the team up.
Played bass in high school.
Joined the Marines and didn't touch it for about 10 years
Picked it back up for therapy reason and have been locking the groove for a solid 3 years. Ultimately I'd like to be able to drop in the fold of any genre on the planet.
My favorite genre to play is Blues and reggae.

>99%
99 dubs of truth

Yeah, but they're expensive, plus if you want to be taught by someone who plays, I'd assume the price would be insane.

Calling yourself the 1% is often a bad sign, but as long as you practice you're better than most bassists. Keep doing what you do, goals, and knowing how to reach them, is what separates the bassists from the too-bad-to-be-guitarists

Definitely. As a depressed and failing college student I can't afford a lap steel in at least a good few years.

>Guitar
>Drums and bass
>5 years
>Heavy rock i guess

Do you write anything yourself?

If you would have added 7 years to that I'd almost think you're one of my best friends. Mastering both drums, bass and guitar is a pretty solid task.

Sad times, indeed. Hope you pass, user.

>Currently baritone acoustic guitar
>drums a bit but not good
>17 years
>Acoustic Fingerstyle (Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, Michael Hedges)
>Any good confident musician is thick skulled regardless of instrument

Yeah, been recording and putting songs together for about year now use Ableton Live

Yeah definitely is but I have hardly mastered any of them unfortunately. Especially drums, still fairly new to that and still use drums tracks in most my songs.

Great! Recording yourself is one of the best ways to improve. It takes a lot of practice and time to reach respectable timing, recording yourself makes it a lot easier to hate yourself, lol.

But you're on your way! Mastering any instrument takes many, MANY years. I didn't expect you to have reached 30+ years of playing any instrument.

>Guitar
>Drums, bass guitar, double bass, cello, alt sax, piano
>10 years
>Jazz and death metal.
>Because they learn the songs via tabs but they don't understand what they're playing most of the time, they have no idea why some chords work better after a certain chord. tl;dr they know shit about harmony.

i came here to shill my self like a real musician
soundcloud.com/trysn/clcc
check my shit out, dont sleep on me homies its not worth it

Working on it, hopefully they'll establish that it's all a thyroid problem and I can get my ability to concentrate back. I'm prioritizing a Mesa Triple Rectifier though, if I ever can afford one.

Yeah very true. Its also insanely fun and rewarding. A great past time.

True, taking me even longer I think, since I hate learning songs and just write my own stuff.

Piano
Alto saxophone
Piano since im 5 years old and saxophone since im 10
Jazz
Dont really know but for me bassists have played pretty good in bands

>no understanding
This is definitely true, and partially my fault. I shouldn't have taught him how to play bass without putting significance in studying theory.
As a fellow death metal musician, have you got anything to share?

>Clarinet
>6 years
>classically trained
Mfw I get to play with professionals

That's because you're a jazz musician, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you guys. Unfortunately you rarely get the credit you deserve for it.

I meant in response to the guy mentioning of
>99% of bassists are blank
I am always willing to learn and have no inflated sense of anything. I'm a student and will be even when I'm 90. I just want to get good at making noise and holding it down.

>copy pastes samples
>calls himself a musician

>Piano
>Accordion, Guitar, Vocal (Including Throatsinging), Drums
>Piano for 10 years
>Ragtime and popularmusic from 1890-1930 America
>Because playing one note at a time is easy so a lot of people learn to play that, and don't further their technique and musical understanding.. that's why we have so many shitty bassplayers

Yeah, I didn't mean to pound down on you. My remark regarding considering oneself the 1%, the ones not guilty of the shitty muscianship, was more generally speaking.

kek

Sampling is one of the backbones of modern music if you think otherwise you are literally retarded.

Throat singing is badass, and as a death metal/goregrind vocalist it actually helped me understand a handful of other vocal techniques. I'm not very accurate when it comes to polyphonic singing, but applying it to false chord vocals typical of death metal, you can really get some cool effects going. "Gutturals" are basically false-chord throat singing.

Any bassists willing to drop some good knowledge on bass player things to do to harness the low-end effectively? Things to keep in mind and general groove tips appreciated

get more groove you jive ass motherfucker

Creating music is not the same as being a musician. You're a producer, at best. We're all well aware that sampling is the main element of modern pop music, but it's also one of the main reasons it's completely unoriginal, talentless, boring and uninspiring.

>piano pain instrument
>must have been what, 12 years now?
>bass in band
>fuck you I'm actually good
>guitar, drums, clarinet, cello
>most proficient in classical, thats with piano
>metal (prog, post mainly), post-rock, (post) hardcore, emo, math rock, art rock
>yes I'm a flaming fucking faggot

As a fellow death metal musician I'd recommend you to listen to a lot of oriental music Sup Forumsro. I really get a kick out of it when I play arabian/turkish melodies with a blast beat behind. Also the scales that jazz musicians use over a dominant 7th chord are really nice like the symmetric, the altered, the lydian dominant and also the hybrid scales you can make up on your own.
You can check these guys out, not death metal but really cool music youtube.com/watch?v=uuzTD4aGXvc

Bass guitar, piano, harmonica, organ

Definitely learn how to mute properly. Both complete muting and palm-muting if applicable. Make sure you actually practice note length, not just hitting notes at the right time. Play some funk.

Main: bass
I also play guitar
Bassists are thick skulled because basses are thick and chances are we've been hit with them (@kristnoveselic) I'm most proficient in rock but I want to start easing into bluesish stuff on guitar.

Yes, good oriental music is amazing, and are a huge inspiration. Scales and chords not typically found in western music is often considered sour or weird to the listeners, and this is what I thrive in.

>What's your main instrument?
bass
>Do you play anything else?
guitar, banjo, flute, drums, mandolin

>How long have you been playing?
12 years

>What genre are you most proficient in?
jazz, classical,

>Why are bassists so fucking thick-skulled?
Why don't guitarists ever know what key they're playing in?

>pop music
except that sampling is used in far more than just pop music.

>creating music is not the same as being a musician

>unoriginal
except for creating completely original works of art that are indistinguishable from another
>talentless
except for using complicated soft/hardware with great degrees of clinicality
>boring
>calling music boring
toplol tbh
>uninspiring
>what is subjectivity
you are a mongoloid

you are clearly aware of nothing but your precognitions

Because guitarists are generally narcissistic assholes. You're missing the point if you took any offence, you clearly know something about music if you've took the time to learn those instruments, and are not one of the massive sea of absolute shit bassists.

>my throat
>makes all boys sing

>tfw lurked Sup Forums when I first came to Sup Forums
>thought it would be full of musicians
>ended up being a bunch of kids who think they have taste in music because they pretend to like shitty albums wit interesting stories behind them and that's why they got a 10/10 on Pitchfork

Bass guitar, acoustic guitar (but not too proficient), alto saxophone (most proficient), piano (main instrument as of now). Played sax for 4 years but stopped two years ago, I still have the instrument I just never take it out. I've been playing piano for 6 years. Bass guitar on and off for 5 years and acoustic for like 2 years.
Musicians are fucking weird by the way

What's your main instrument?
>Euphonium (Tenor Tuba)
Do you play anything else?
>Tuba, Trombone, Trumpet, French Horn, Tenor Sax, Piano, Harmonica.
How long have you been playing?
>4 years.
What genre(s) are you most proficient in?
>Classical, Swing
Why are bassists so fucking thick-skulled?
>What can you expect when you give an important job to an inferior instrument?

>skin flute
>hamflower
>since a teenager
>rhythm and blues
>The simplicity of many basslines usually doesn't endear the instrument to those with technical ability or interest in more complex melody; in some ways, it acts more as a rhythm/percussive instrument than stringed. In essence, it's dull and often attracts dullards.

>Guitar
>Some percussion
>Since I was 8, so about 11-12 years
>Blues/Alt Rock
>I have no idea, but I know that's it true

pop music in this case meaning the main portion of what ever is new and popular, not the results of the beatles.
>any electronic music
>rock and subgenres (although generally lacking sampling)
>rap
>pop

The subjectivity was never presented as to be anything but subjective. There's no musicianship in cutting things together, it's producing. Learning software is not being a musician.

If you don't PLAY the instrument, you're not a musician.

You are literally not worth my time, feel free to continue to be wrong and to live in your bubble of idiocy.

>bass is simple
Yes, if this only applied to rock/pop bassists, sure. Death metal bass is harder than death metal guitar, funk bass is generally not very easy (unless shit tier..) and jazz is insane.
This is coming from a guitarist.

Literally the meaning of the word is one who practices music.

Because it takes effort and and creativity to create your own original sound. Listening to someone else's creation and thinking "this would sound good if it were done differently like this.." still isn't creating your own sound, it's working off of other musicians hard work and actual talent and creativity.

>literally

Playing is practicing

Oh, sure. But for people with actual aptitude and ability, you usually have qualifiers to bassist - e.g. 'jazz bassist' or whatever - that indicate that they're not a tool. Generic bassist? Meh; I ain't going to assume they're an Entwistle unless there's clear evidence showing otherwise.

noun
a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.
any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

high degree of retardation
mfw

Yes. And the musician is the computer. Cutting sounds and pasting them is not creating music, it's mashing sounds.

K

Idk, when I was younger I used to hate on electronic music and rap and everything. But if you are creative enough to make something that people enjoy listening to, more power to you. It will never be the same as spending decades practicing and perfecting with an actual instrument.

vocaroo.com/i/s0wxnUwO5ZPi
>tfw no $$$$$ to waste on mics for the drums and recording equipment

Does drawing in ms paint make you a painter?
Technically there was no judgement in calling someone a producer, people just get butthurt because they want to consider themselves musicians.

If you make something awesome in MSPaint that people enjoy, then you still have talent despite what some salty struggling painter things of you.

I'm

I never said that it was worth any less being an electronic music producer. I enjoy quite a bit of electronic music, and some rap, but that was besides the point.

What I was saying is that you aren't even creating music, you're cutting other peoples music and trying to make it your own sound
See:

One still needs a knowledge of music theory to make music on a computer. I'm not saying it is superior in any way to instrumental music, but I'm saying as long as you are making music, you are a musician.

My main instrument is the guitar. Piano and drums are also fun to practice and play. I started learning how to play the guitar 10 year ago. I am proficient in many genres but I don't enjoy labeling my art. I want my art to represent itself, I don't want predispositions, but, your average listener would probably describe what I and my buddies play metal with a side of jazz and classical and hip hop influences. Bassists are strange. Sometimes they're just musically uneducated and play because it's easy. Sometimes they're extremely good and expressive. Sometimes they don't care sometimes they do. We need them when they aren't around but you only need one of them.

>Guitar
>Bass
>6 years
>Funk
>because counting is hard for them

Yes, but that was not the question. Having "talent" is not related to being a musician. You can be a shitty musician. You're not a painter because you're not painting, you're possibly a graphical designer. There's no inherent value to this, but you pretend like it is just because you're salty musicians don't consider you one of them.

lol it can certainly make you an artist you elitist faglord

you're act of comparing differing entities reduces the integrity of your statement because the factors are not the same regardless of how close they may be in your stupid ass example.

and i never once said that i sample anything i simply said it is one of the backbones of modern music you absolute niggerfaggot

>pic related

>What's your main instrument? Electric Bass
>Do you play anything else? Guitar, Sing
>How long have you been playing? 6 years, started 8th grade
>What genre are you most proficient in? Funk and Alternative
>Why are bassists so fucking thick-skulled? easiest instrument, makes you look better, think youre good

No you don't. You CLEARLY don't. I know multiple people with zero knowledge of music, but software knowledge. They sample what others that knew what they were doing produced and then cut it together into a loop. There is no need for any musical theory to cut together software pitched ducks, please, who do think you're kidding?

>Eb Tuba for a Salvation Army staff band, not specifying which city
>a variety of valved brass instruments, intermediate piano, I'm also a Tenor 1 (go figure)
>started the tuba sometime in middle school
>I prefer brass band marches
>your last note also applies to the brass bass section as well.

>ITT: people misreading on purpose because they think there was any evaluation of skill in not calling someone a musician.
Never once did I not say you're an artists. You're just not a musician. Unless you actually play the stuff you compose into a song,

Typical bass players are failed guitarist. A real bassist doesn't write the music. They write bass lines to the music. They must keep time and accent with drums and stay in key with guitars. Until they learn this aspect, they are not good.
>guitar
>nothing else
>30 years
>classical and progressive metal

>Drums
>a few licks on guitar
>7 years
>hard rock/metal mostly experiment with weird time signatures/riffs

>but you pretend like it is
Hell, I play the drums. I'm probably less of a musician than those guys. But I think they should still get some credit as an "Artist" because they create something that other people enjoy, even if people are hesitant to call them musicians.

I'm just saying I know where you're coming from because I used to think like that. But then I started listening to all different stuff and became more open-minded because I can find stuff from all different genres that I enjoy whether the artist has been playing their instrument for 30 years or just started messing around on the computer a couple years ago.

I meant to say "brass band military marches"

Forgot this
>bassists are thick skull ed because they think their instrument is the most important in the band

>progressive metal

Everyone's and their fckin mom is a "metal musician" or something like that now and it's real Shyte cuz none of them ever grasp what you just said when we try and jam in my friends little studio

I certainly do play stuff i compose into a song.

That is irrelevant. Sampling changes nothing, one is still a musician when practising it.

that would be like me picking up a guitar and just randomly playing, am i now a musician? because i am now playing a guitar with a completely original score?

someone with a computer can load another song sample it and transpose it timestretch it anything but with no ability or skill it will sound terrible, with no musical understanding it will sound terrible, just the same with picking up a guitar.

the relative comparison shows how retarded it is to attempt to compare the two.

>Guitar
>No
>1.5 yrs
>Math Rock

I think everyone band member secretly believes this and that's fine I'd rather have all four people thinking that without them we'd sound completely different than all four people not worried about being drowned out and thinking the other three players will pick up their slack

Read the answers that already addressed every single point of this post.
Artist =/= musician
An artist creates art, whether it's paintings, music, sculptures, stories or poems.
A musical artist still doesn't equal a musician, and this is where it all blends together.
A musician plays an instrument, a producer creates music separate from being a musician. A producer creates complete works, a musician doesn't, and if they do, they're both a producer and a musician. Both are artists.
It has nothing to do with demeaning electronic music, as I clearly stated before - I listen to quite a bit of electronic music, and some rap. This still doesn't mean picking things and combining them makes you a musician.

Were you in a marching band?

You mean every member of babbys first band.
>guitarist
>In traditional metal I believe the drums are the most important factor. The other instruments are somewhat replacable

You sound like some college faggot who is probably hoping to major in engineering.

Also I play bass, and am way better than any of you guitar fags.

I make bank off it too. Stupid dumb cunts will never leave your bedroom/garage if you don't realize everything else but the guitar is what makes a band.
Guitar is easy. It also sounds like shit too.

Bass can reach the range of guitars, but guitars cannot reach the range of a bass.

>Recorder
>A single snare drum
>Since second grade
>Children's Music
>Because they are

Guitar
Drums, vocal
5 years
Mostly songs with a lot of syncopation i make up on the spot, do a lot of improv, it calms the soul. Also classical and rock and some pop for the ocasional normie get-together