/classical/

spectral edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X4EIx0XzPzg
youtube.com/watch?v=DyNmATgL7Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=RY0F8D6lIkA
youtube.com/watch?v=lA5K0pVC-yU
youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM
youtube.com/watch?v=5ibCFzF5djk
youtu.be/W5WNjrskIMM?t=2m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=GEiaic7P7zI
youtube.com/watch?v=o7Gzy1hGDg0
youtu.be/9Pw8cZy1vos
youtube.com/watch?v=PXMVkQ70I88
youtube.com/watch?v=nW5po_Z7YEs
youtube.com/watch?v=RR7eUSFsn28
youtu.be/eqksy-991sI?t=5m51s
youtube.com/watch?v=n8-seWbkg_w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=X4EIx0XzPzg
youtube.com/watch?v=DyNmATgL7Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=RY0F8D6lIkA
youtube.com/watch?v=lA5K0pVC-yU

bump

Petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=-hSoVLQ3SBc
youtube.com/watch?v=pnLy31-Z7E4
youtube.com/watch?v=2w433wbM14Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FdDU4qwaI80
youtube.com/watch?v=oESzlizAafE
youtube.com/watch?v=C7jem-LgKgA
youtube.com/watch?v=D9MU1T6uDXA
youtube.com/watch?v=_s22fNJdICQ
youtube.com/watch?v=an77qFp0Y9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=5BSfYz4_Gbg
youtube.com/watch?v=xweAry37KUg
youtube.com/watch?v=VOVF-33A9HI
youtube.com/watch?v=KqSAGwa49MM

why is /classical/ so dead?

dunno man

youtube.com/watch?v=5ibCFzF5djk

>tfw agreed to be music director of a production of Dido and Aeneas
>tfw not even had a single rehearsal yet and already regretting it

this might be the one that does me in lads

Why? Tell your uncle Sup Forums while we grope you

/classical/ is not dead you retards just don't bump it

if you have to keep bumping it for it to stay alive, it's dead.

who's a bigger hack, Stockhausen or Murail

Petzold, Stolzel, Telemann are the three "L's" of classical music

Stockhausen was actually crazy, therefore I'd say Murail.

What song are they playing here?
youtu.be/W5WNjrskIMM?t=2m30s

It's been stuck in my head for ages now and I can't recall its name.

At the 2 minutes 30 seconds mark.

promenade from pictures at an exhibition

Cheers mate!

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=GEiaic7P7zI

>Murail
Literally the worst spectralist

What's the name of the piece which starts with ONE THING no but seriously, it starts with pic related.

WTC

I forgot the piece but you should know it unless you're a pleb/fag.

Oh fuck wait I fucked up, wait a second.

I'm gonna make a mashup of Modest Mussorgsky and Modest Mouse. Just try and stop me fuckboys.

Fixed

And it's on the piano.

youtube.com/watch?v=o7Gzy1hGDg0

Not much of a Cage fan but his etudes, including the Freeman etudes are some of my favorite.

What a pile of shit

Thank God Nancarrow and Ligeti came after this

What an absolute madman though

Prelude in c major wtc bk 1.

btw is that supposed to be an e (second note), looks like a d?

SAY IT WITH ME

IF THE NOTE IS ON THE LINE, _____ ____ ___ ____ ____

Petzold

JS Bach.
youtu.be/9Pw8cZy1vos
(underrated piece)

THEN I FEEL FINE

youtube.com/watch?v=PXMVkQ70I88 is the one I meant but you helped me remember so thanks.

>born in 2017
>tfw you can't write music like this anymore without being ridiculed by every classical musician in the world

Truly born in the wrong generation

underageb& pls do not post here

>wanting to write music that's been done before by people 100x more talented than you'll ever be

jej

Explain, and why he's not as good as Grisey?

>wanting to write music that's been done before by people 100
>m-muh progress in music is real and evident, right guys? r-right?

Not even Bach would agee with your greentext. You're truly corrupted by the 20th century avant-gards.

Not bait, I wish I could just compose beautiful music for the sake of it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, yet doing so will make my works unsellable unless I dumb them down for the masses (and even then fame is more about marketing than music).
It sucks to be a trained composer in the 21st century, ther's no way around it.

>John Adams' birthday is in two days
What will you be listening to?

Mozart

Not John Adams

Petzold

.....but that is the prelude in c major from wtc bk 1... are you trying to troll me?

no one wants to hear a bunch of inferior rehashes
there'll never be another bach, beethoven, brahms, mozart, haydn, etc..
get over it

>no one wants to hear a bunch of inferior rehashes
I do.
checkmate atheists

brahms is literally a rehash of viennese school classical

i can't tell if this photo has been edited

not saying he's inferior though.

>mfw its literally impossible to imitate Monsuier D

top kek

P

Seeping crest of turbidity. Arrogant vessel of lunacy! Boil forth and deny! Grow numb and flicker! Disrupt sleep! Crawling queen of iron! Eternally self-destructing doll of mud! Unite! Repulse! Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness!

Spectralism is boring

E

T

Z

O

R

are you an anime

Penderecki - Threnody

i've listened to Chopin's first ballade, and I've really enjoyed the last 3 minutes, but the middle part just disgusted me. What are some of his other pieces who resemble those last 3 minutes in mood and dynamics?
youtube.com/watch?v=nW5po_Z7YEs

>not being the version by Zimerman
>the middle part just disgusted me
youtube.com/watch?v=RR7eUSFsn28
Go listen to more music, kiddo. Maybe you can stop being a pleb that way.

I've actually listened only to the Zimerman version, I've just linked a random performance from youtube for the lazy anons

I've listened to the Rubinstein version now and I honestly don't understand why is he playing the last 30 seconds in that way, especially the scales and the low chords, but I don't know enough about Chopin to dispute that interpretation

was Janáček the biggest cuck composer?

Who /baroque/ here?

Bibalbi was romantic you pleb.

True patrician reporting in: I can only listen to minor preludes from the WTC and the Art of Fugue, everything else (especially major pieces) bore me to death.

>1678-1741

romantics copied him

WTC = nice preludes + boring fugues

yeet

Weird question: do composers actually hear music in their head? If I try I can only hear a echo (only 1 voice, usually the melodic line or some dynamic), but if I'm thinking about a song I've memorized I can abstractly imagine about all of the melodies and harmonies I'm not mentally singing.

Does my imagination just suck or is this the best humans can do? Can anyone here, for example, clearly mentally hear 2 melodic lines at once?

Yes but only from songs I have heard many times, I can't create 2 melodies and then play them at the same time.

Have you learned an instrument before? I am fairly certain me practicing french horn for 8 years helped my ability to do that.

I'm currently learning how to play the cello, prior to that I've only played guitar, but I've never studied it formally.
Does ear training helps with imagining music with more clarity?

here's a Petzold monument

I'm a violinist, not a composer. But I can hear in my head, side-by-side all the different parts from this:

youtu.be/eqksy-991sI?t=5m51s

If only because I've been practicing it with an ensemble for a few months.

With side-by-side you mean that you hear all of them clearly at the same time?
Also can you do this only with pieces you know? Can you, for example, compose a invention in your head, or do you necessarly have to have memorized every note prior to imagining them?

Are there any good books to learn about conducting?
inb4 Google

I would say playing a instrument in general helps with hearing music in your head more clearly. The better I got, the easier it became to hear any song in my head before I played it, just by reading the sheet music.

What do you do when a composition isn't going well for you in the sense that you don't feel it is matching with your original vision? This is for uni and it is due pretty soon so I can't restart fresh also it has to be with a certain approach.

>conducting

is this the biggest meme in the classical music world? literally just waving a baton around and practicing with the orchestra while making pedantic declarations about a sections tone? the orchestra can play the music and set tempo by themselves because they're actually musicians. only failed musicians become conductors.

No matter how bad it is finish it, only then start polishing it. Coming with something that is new, sophisticated and authentic is hard, polishing something bad into a state of art is infinitely easier.

This is the more generic advice I could possibly give you, since you haven't told us what you're composing.

t. composer

Saying this only shows that you haven't ever seen a bad conductor. Lucky you, I guess.

A bad conductor will seriously fuck up the performance.

can you guys rec me some of your favorite pieces that are only voices? no other instruments, just sweet voices singing good melodies and harmonies.

Somebody put me out of my misery, I'm starting to enjoy Schoenberg

Post a bad conductor (don't be cheeky pls)

Fair enough, that's kind of the approach i was trying and for the most part im done, just doubting myself i guess. It's a (tonal) serialist piece for piano and trumpet btw
All bach chorales, rachmanioff all night vigil

If you like his 12 tone stuff yeah you should probably off yourself, but stuff like verklarte nacht is fine.

how do i get into brahms?

Don't be afraid; you just have begun to take the redpill on tonality, let it take you

He's simply not as tasteful or interesting. His music sounds more like Messiaen, Boulez and Stockhausen, plus some gimmicks, than his own individual voice. Both Grisey and Levinas have an interesting voice of their own; Murail is more juvenile in that sense.

karajan LOL

retard

Thank you, I like Murail but you explained why, without memes, why you don't like him

I'll try out Levinas right now

thanks so much! I was hearing bach a lot the past month, he is really a genius of harmony, is like he now the exact time to put every note in the paper. I will save your rec, thanks again

youtube.com/watch?v=n8-seWbkg_w

No problem, you might also want to try palestrina and gesualdo. Renaissance composers are great for that

>A conductor will seriously fuck up the performance.*

definitely
just leave the music to the musicians and maybe try to make it as a composer if you need work so badly