/grimes/

Discuss one of the most amazing artists on this planet, Claire Elise Boucher aka Grimes.

>Venus Fly is now on youtube! i would especially recommend watching it in 4K, i coloured it (with great help from @hanatruly ) for 4K viewing so that's prob the best way to watch haha. this video really means a lot to me for many reasons. first off, i've been a huge fan of janelle monaé since she debuted. i've always admired her genre bending, ground breaking art, sonically and visually. Collaborating with her was a dream come true, and i learned so much about songwriting and directing from her. furthermore, im on an independent label so i've never come close to having access to the kind of equipment/resources we had here(thank u Tidal!!!). i put my whole heart and soul into this project; conceptualized, directed, edited, coloured and post-prod, nearly destroying my computer in the process lol. I hope y'all can feel the love and i hope this video takes u to a trippy alternate dimension where giant humanoid eva's play w bubbles made of what i imagine the christofilos effect looks like ( trapped charged particles along magnetic lines of force ). it is most assuredly not a realistic depiction, it's just a vision i've had in my mind for a while since i began studying the cold war earlier this year. thanks so much u guys for caring about our art
Watch this masterpiece here: youtube.com/watch?v=eTLTXDHrgtw

>almost finished building like 20 or so 5D multi timbral synths in roli equator, they'll be released for roli blocks later this year. never made synths from scratch before, its pretty fun
Video with her playing a mean jam: instagram.com/p/BP6JQUMjSd_/

Grimes produced a new Aristophanes song, Humans Become Machines: youtube.com/watch?v=BHmVqMISPLw If you don't know, Aristophanes is that Taiwanese rapper that performed on SCREAM.

Rule #1: be nice to Grimes.
Rule #2: see Rule #1.

Other urls found in this thread:

electricity-club.co.uk/grimes-visions/
electricity-club.co.uk/grimes-live-in-london/
ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=90302
tinymixtapes.com/features/grimes
youtube.com/watch?v=BX8PNBTs9PM
youtube.com/watch?v=SDID5yKU_s8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does Grimeth get any radio play where you're from?

She's barely played on the radio. She's an indie artist, that's not surprising.

there's already one grimes general up

*breathes in*
GRIMES IS A FUCKING UGLY WHORE
*breathes out*

No she's a failed pop star lol why would they play her on the radio

Doubt it, but I live in Denmark.

You could say I'm a cuck for Grimeth

See rule 1

This is for you, dipshit

>The haters and trolls have a really hard time when it comes to Grimes. It's very hard to attack her. Leaving aside that "be nice to Grimes" mantra, how could you attack an authentic artist that got huge acclaim from the whole music world, an artist respected my many of her fellow artists, an artist known for her infinite creativity? Just lame personal attacks related to her look (despite the fact she featured in multiple fashion magazines) and personality (despite the fact she donated money for charity, caring about environment and her fans). That's why they're so pissed off irl all the time: desperation and envy. Desperation and envy.

Wtf is that meant to mean?

*plays REaliti*

post Grimes

Cara =/= Grimey

fucking fuck can we go one day without Sup Forums's biggest circlejerk

Can't you cope with the fact that Grimes is most likely more talented and more relevant than your favourite """artists"""?

Not even one day without talking about Grimey. She's the artist of this decade, bruh. The sooner you'll acknowledge that, the better.

why don't you just use filters

Why is Grimes so much better than every other artist nowadays?

Someone has to be better than anyone. The fate decided that it must be Grimes in that position.

i don't care about her music but i want to fuck her so much

music for this feel?

Grimes

>i don't care about her music
That's a shame because her music is the real deal

Death Grips – Have a Sad Cum

Damn, we didn't celebrate 5 years of Visions... It was released on 31 January 2012.

thanks guys

fffffffuck

Grimes is more beautiful than Cara and she's not even a supermodel.

Visions is such a great album. Even those little songs (intro, Eight, Visiting Statue, Know the Way) that seem fillers are great. Grimes and synths is a perfect match.

Why is Grimes so much better than Björk? I mean, Grimes managed to surpass her in just a couple of years.
Can you imagine what it is going to be for the rest of her career?

Bjork is not passé. I admit I enjoy her first 4 albums much more than the artistic wankery of the rest of her discography.

>Why is Grimes so much better than Björk?
Because she's an amazing vocalist, songwriter and producer. Too many Bjork songs rely on her voice and don't have exciting instrumentals. Also Bjork has a strong voice but some vocal gymnastics of Bjork are frankly off-putting.

>Can you imagine what it is going to be for the rest of her career?
She's impredictible but I'm pretty sure I will like her future music. I enjoy all her discography, even Medieval Warfare and Go.

Grimes is new Trump.

Delete this

So much suffering led to the writing of the most of Claire's songs. Every time I listen to her music, I wonder what was on her mind.

>that picture
>claire in 2010 or 2011
Who knew that she will become acclaimed and respected just 1-2 years later?

Imagine being a friend of her at those times.

/grimes/ doesn't actually care for Grimes, it's just play pretend.

>too many Bjork songs rely on her voice and don't have exciting instrumentals. Also Bjork has a strong voice but some vocal gymnastics of Bjork are frankly off-putting.

Like which songs?

What do you mean? I love Grimes more than my life!

>that shitty Yamaha synth
She has come a long way.

Quick example: All Neon Like.

that picture was the last time she played in my city (Detroit) and it was in 2011.

please come back grimes.

She didn't visit Detroit since 2011? Detroit is like the techno city, I'm sure she has many electronic music fans here.

>play pretend
You're clueless...

When did you realize that Grimes is awesome?

does anyone have the exploding knees version?

>As an album, Visions is a joy and a challenge that will reward the determined listener looking for subtler colours in the electronic music tapestry.

electricity-club.co.uk/grimes-visions/

>September 2012
>The next question is where GRIMES goes next. There’s talk of becoming a producer for other artists as a full time option, although the next GRIMES album is already under discussion and is described by Miss Boucher as her “anime-industrial album”.

electricity-club.co.uk/grimes-live-in-london/

See what ilxor thought of her ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=90302

bump

I love you, Claire Elise Boucher!

Knowing that Claire suffers from tinnitus has really helped me come to terms with my own. You can still enjoy and make music even if your ears ring a little bit.

If you have patience to read over 2000 comments here , you'll see that she caused some controversy even there. Some folks really liked her music, some others were baffled by her popularity.

>ILX tearing itself apart over a 6/10 album
Lol

She's such an inspiration

I don't get why Grimes - a nice Canadian girl - could cause such controversies on the internet...

>one of the things I really like about her is that many of the vocal arrangements/lines in one song are little hooks/songs by themselves.

>this is gonna sound weird, but i almost think visions is like love king, where like every element is its own little hook, one of the reasons i like it a lot

>i think it's obvious that she has a good, powerful singing voice and this is one of the first recent indie albums i've heard where manipulating the vocals or choosing not to sing 'traditionally' really works for it -- she's not attempting to mask or hide any sort of vocal deficiency, but a lot of times it's like you're trying to reach out and grab these great hooks or melodies that aren't pushed to the forefront... but for like the entire album. again tho i think it works because she can sing.

I liked her better when she had a uni brow

I wish she would put a little more meat on her bones

she is too skinny

Another random quote:

>Every person who listens to this record [Visions] seems to bring an intensely hears set of signifiers and reference points to it - and they're all completely different.

>Which probably means she is actually quite unique? I honestly can't think of much that sounds exactly like this so I'm always reaching, and it's possible she's never heard any of the things I project onto her voice.

She was always skinny
She never had a unibrow

i don't care
i want to be a bit thicker

Grimes is beautiful as she is. Why would you change something that looks nice?

need sauce for the 4k!

omg pls eat something claire ;_;

she will become a skeleton if she doesn't eat more food

that is her goal to be spooky

>So you’re big on singers like Enya and Elizabeth Fraser.
>Yeah, Claire Hamill, too.
tinymixtapes.com/features/grimes

@classical music user (if you're reading this): you were right about the inspiration behind Grimes' complex multi-layered vocal tracking techniques.

youtube.com/watch?v=BX8PNBTs9PM

I've read this:
>Joanna Newsom meets electronic music.
Agree?

>Claire Boucher meets electronic music.
Agree.

This. Claire is Goddess of Love.

Yet another random quotes from that ilixor thread:

>as rich and interesting and fun as her music is, I don't get how someone would only be able to imagine her appeal as only possibly being due to her image - appealing as it may be

>I think a lot of listeners DO respond to her personality; it seems like it is a significant apart of her appeal (and certainly a significant apart of her recorded presence). I don't think that's an inherently bad thing at all, but it's something I wrestle with listening to the album, which I really love. I can't always tell how much I'm responding to her music and how much I'm responding to her overall endearing, cool-girl vibe. There's probably no need to even make a distinction between the two, b/c they're so connected.

>I have pretty much no concept of who Claire Boucher is but I really, really like this record.

youtube.com/watch?v=SDID5yKU_s8

Did you notice that Grimes dances in about every video of hers?

Lol.

How do you think I first found out about Claire Hamill in the first place?

maybe that's because she makes dance music?

Lots of artists do dance music and don't dance in their own videos...

Oh, that's cool.

grimes

sǝɯıɹƃ

claire

ǝsılǝ

¿ɹǝɥ ʇnoqɐ ɯɐǝɹp ɹǝʌǝ noʎ pıp

>tfw Grimes inspires you to get /fit/

lmao this is what suicidesquadfags actually believe

Heres a joke what did the dogcatcher say after the grimer walked into the pound

"Wow that is one ugly ass fucking dog we should just put that piece of shit down immediatley no one is ever going to want to adopt that hideous thing"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Her music is painfully average

same desu

i only dreamed

>tfw he inspires you to shave

Why painful? Average is normal. Not bad, not good. Also FYI music taste is subjective. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Problem solved.

I'm wondering if she's gonna tour this year...

she isn't going anywhere

Because it has great potential and just falls flat a lot of the time.

>not posting the HD version

...for you. Maybe her music is not for you. As you can see even ITT, lots of people adore her music. It's just a matter of taste.