Is this the closest we'll ever get to Lovecraftian on film?

Is this the closest we'll ever get to Lovecraftian on film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=agWPEWophEU
youtube.com/watch?v=9HGMxZEl60k
youtube.com/watch?v=wEUwtFg7PeI
youtube.com/watch?v=YSkNYyd_WyI
youtube.com/watch?v=kdDcNU53q_8
youtube.com/watch?v=a2ayfmkeJGc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>it's the most horrible thing you ever seen brah
>dude you'll totally have your mind blown and go crazy when you see it
*Fish man with tentacles for a beard walks in*
>have you gone mad yet? haha you can't even comprehend what you're seeing can you? be
scared!

lovecraft meme needs to die already, he was a talentless hack

It is not lovecraftian at all you utter spastic.

how come nobody has beaten this cgi?

To be fair, it was literature that worked because it made you create your own visions, plus, it was the early 1900's and not a visual medium, so really, people just need to accept that Lovecrafts style will never work like that. Imply and tell, but dont show. Build up that sense of dread. A CGI fest lovecraft movie would be shit no matter what.

Bloodborne is the closest we'll get in any form of media desu.

My fucking nigga

Lovecraft is the favorite author of people who don't read books

How could they?

I saw these flicks recently and honestly the CGI looks better than in movies released a decade later

Digimon Tamers had some Lovecraft in it.

Event Horizon was still the only good one I've seen. I didn't like At The Mouth Of Madness, but Sam Neil is based.

It's hard to take the Davy Jones stuff seriously when the rest of the second and third movies are so farcical. Like the first movie was a lighthearted action-comedy but the next two were just straight up comedy.

Also
>Flying "Dutch"man
>has a Scottish accent
wew

He's the favourite author of people who draw and paint.

>"Do you read Sutter Cane?"

youtube.com/watch?v=agWPEWophEU

You know Jones wasn't the Dutchman right?

Yeah but why would you call your ship the Flying Dutchman if you're Scottish

Actually The Mist is probably the closest we'll ever get.
It can be done.

It's a name. He's not flying.

you haven't even read his work, you faggot. The idea that you can even kill the bosses goes against what Lovecraft was all about.

But user, you can't Kill them
Unless they're in their own dream

I think I know where you're coming from. Like your pic, this isn't Lovecraftian, but to me it felt like pure Cthulhu:

youtube.com/watch?v=9HGMxZEl60k

ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Hellboy 2's Forrest God is some pretty good Lovecraft visualized:

youtube.com/watch?v=wEUwtFg7PeI

He's the favorite author of people with imagination.

what's up with the awful editing
I didn't remember Del Taco being so bad

>ctrl+f from beyond
>phrase not found

You people sicken me. It has every single thing you could possibly want, point-by-point. Every one.

A relatively unknown Lovecraftian gem:

youtube.com/watch?v=YSkNYyd_WyI

Why do people always think of tentacles when Lovecraft is mentioned? Is it because no one has read his stories and instead gets their image of him from Cthulu Facebook maymays?

DO YA FEAH DEATH?

Stuart Gordon in general:

Re-Animator
From Beyond
Castle Freak
Dagon
Dreams in the Witch House

He is to Lovecraft what Frank Darabont is to Stephen King.

>not the John Carpenter's Thing or True Detective

just like the raven or birds or psycho.
of course things like that don't creep us out anymore.
i've seen every horror movie from the past years, none of them shocked me and you anymore.
we're just not scared or shocked anymore.

Pacific Rim

Because it's the one movie where it's okay to make all the CGI characters look perpetually wet and like weightless molluscs.

CGI always looks wet-ish, and so things that our brain expects to look dry looks like shit no matter how much better the CGI has become.

I love how he manages to add an extra syllable to Death.

Bloodborne is definitely more fucked up than The Thing, which is essentially just an alien movie. It also has plenty og cosmic horror type stuff littered throughout the game via various bosses, locations, and enemies. Oh and did I mention you turn into a literal squid demi-god at the end of the game? Because that happens to. Bloodborne is seriously fucking weird, and obviously inspired by Lovecraft. It's also a great Souls game to boot.

Richard Stanley is working on a Lovecraft movie right now

>Sup Forums

>so things that our brain expects
nigga I do not share a brain with you.

the best lovecraftian movie i've seen... it was so scary i am terrified writing this i can not even begin to comprehend what i saw it was way too scary aaahhhh i am writing this from my cave of madness i do not go out anymore due to the lovecraftian movie i saw

Oh no we strayed off topic slightly, because that never fucking happens, right?

>thread about (presumed rare) lovecraft portraying in movies
>butts-in with over representation of lovecraft in VIDEO GAMES
sure, slightly off topic.

it's not the fish-men that drive you mad
it's whatever they are praying to that turned them into fish-men

I'm sorry, I don't give a fuck about terrible uninspired video games. Especially ones that wish they were Dark Souls. Lovecraft is so much more than fucking squid monsters and tentacled horrors you low brow scum. The Thing is the most Lovecraftian thing I have ever seen. I see the irony in that, as the Thing was a tentacled monster. But everything else about the movie, from its beginnings, to the end, to the atmosphere of it. Everything is totally Lovecraftian.

And did I mention that I don't give a fuck about Bloodborne nor have I played it? Those terrible Dark Souls games are way too "lol look how hardcore I am this is totally what makes me a leet epic gaymer now right bros!?!?" for me. Try growing up.

This is some really low quality bait.

>Oh and did I mention you turn into a literal squid demi-god at the end of the game? Because that happens to

Why don't you literally just go kill yourself

>DUDE YOU TURN INTO A SQUID GOD LMAO HOW MUCH MORE LOVECRAFTIAN CAN YOU GET

it's like you're a fucking moron, go back to the rock you crawled out from under Sup Forumsedditor scum

FUCKING Sup ForumsIRGINS GET OUT

"Of the complete biological inferiority of the negro there can be no question he has anatomical features consistently varying from those of other stocks, and always in the direction of the lower primates... Equally inferior and perhaps even more so is the Australian black stock, which differs widely from the real negro. In dealing with these two black races, there is only one sound attitude for any other race (be it white, Indian, Malay, Polynesian, or Mongolian) to take and that is to prevent admixture as completely and determinedly as it can be prevented, through the establishment of a colour line and the rigid forcing of all mixed offspring below that line."

Yes you do. We're now thinking about Jackie Chan

That wasn't even me, if you've read any of Lovecraft's work and played Bloodborne you'd know why Bloodborne is the most perfect lovenote to Lovecraft. But you'd rather just memespout.

>not having bill nye coming back as his pirate human self, even maybe sailing on the new villains (whose some undead nigga) ship for Dead Men Tell No Tales.

erm, you realize Lovecraftian is dead and didn't direct or write POTC

you are projecting something make believe in your head essentially arguing with yourself, are you okay?

And if you've read any of Lovecraft's work and watched True Detective you'd know why True Detective is a perfect Lovecraftian modernization. But you'd rather talk about fucking meme tier video games. On the television board. Bloodborne is garbage.

So I guess 12 Years a Slave is a Lovecraftian film. Huh.

>talking about an author on a television board

it sounded like bait because:
> Especially ones that wish they were Dark Souls

it's made by the same company

also
>Those terrible Dark Souls games are way too "lol look how hardcore I am this is totally what makes me a leet epic gaymer now right bros!?!?"

is a terrible reason to avoid a game, you're at the level of a redditor yourself for letting preconceived notions about a game's fanbase ruin your image of it

do you also listen to kanye west because redditors bitch about the decline of modern music? kill yourself

more

>cant criticize a game unless you play it religiously and buy every installment and all the dlc on day one

I played Demon Souls and the first Dark Souls ad nauseum, countless hours and NG+'s and characters. After that I've just had enough, shit's fucking boring and mindless. I can't criticize the game after playing the first two? I have to buy and play all of them and every clone in order to have a dissenting opinion? You sound like a brain dead drone.

Are you joking? It's a thread about Lovecraft you shit tier memer, how could one not bring up the author himself?

>tentacles = Lovecraft
You're retarded as shit

Sup Forumstards are so fucking retarded

>discussing literature on Sup Forums

Here's how ou do a LOVECRAFT movie: all the cgi is done by bottom tier film students, and is then played entirely seriously because it looks unnatural, like Langoliers unnatural.

.... well, insmoth and the dagon stuff is all about people being turned into fish monsters by being in proximity to a god.

Are you retarded? You're literally getting all indignant when your posts sounded like they were written by someone who has never played a Souls game before. Nothing that you wrote gave even the slightest hint that you had.

>After that I've just had enough, shit's fucking boring and mindless

I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion. It's fine if you're bored of the games but it's still sad that you turned on a series you spent so many hours on just because it got popular or because you assume every one who still plays them is some stupid faggot that thinks they're a hardcore gamer

>>discussing video games on Sup Forums
>he doesn't like my bad meme vidya game so all im gonna do now is be snarky via green text

That's not true either.
You go mad because you realize that because the elder gods exist and are what they are and do what hey do, everything man knows and does is both pointless and false.
Lovecraft's whole idea is that either you "go mad from the revelation" or we panic and plunge the world into a neo-dark age in a fit of sheer denial.

>discussing any type of literature on Sup Forums

Seeing how In the Mouth of Madness exist

No

Someone hasn't actually read The Innsmouth Horror.
It's about anti-miscegenation. Humans inbreeding and interbreeding with subhuman fish people and producing gross hybrids. Dagon doesn't feature beyond a church in his name.

I didn't stop playing them because they got popular or because people think it makes them hardcore. I stopped playing them because after Demon Souls especially they got casualized as fuck and are basically Call of Duty tier now in that every year or so a sequel gets crapped out and its literally the same thing. I turned my back on soulless sellout cashgrabs, not the games I used to play all the time.

Back to Sup Forums, kiddo

>video games being thought of as if they are on the same level as cinema or literature

>lovecraft
>tv

>discussing lit on tv thinking its any good

>not listening to Kanye West

>so mad that he got told to fuck off with his shitty video games

>liking lovecraft because your english prop tells you to.
>OP has pony tail

>discussing a literary genius on tv

>Lovecraft was about squid gods

holy fucking shit

>discussing a shit vidya gaem on Sup Forums

>discussing non-tv related literary exemplars on tv

because Sup Forums actually doesn't care about films, only pretending to like kino while actually just watching capeshit

STEAM

>Someone hasn't actually read The Innsmouth Horror.
>actually read The Innsmouth Horror.
>The Innsmouth Horror.

You're an absolute fucking shit clown.

>not The Call of Cthulhu (2005)

>Spring (2014)

Lovecraftian manic-pixie monster waifu and feels abound. Give it a watch lads, I liked it.

>Not John Carpenter's The Thing

Oddly enough, there are elements in some of Nolan's films like The Prestige, Inception, and Interstellar that convey a Lovecraft vibe better than most things actually based on HPL's stories.

Whaaaaa? I've been awaiting his return. Thought that Dust Devil was the best horror of the 90's.

It's another adaptation of Color Out of Space. Seems like that story has been done to death.

Still, it will be his first complete film since Dust Devil.

How the hell have I never heard of this?

Tentacles does not make something Lovecraftian.

Lovecraft used monsters (often admittedly tentacley) as a tool to evoke an atmosphere of dread and hopelessness.

If you gave Freddy Kruger tentacles that wouldn't make it Lovecraftian horror.

Jesus Christ

By far the dumbest post I've read all week

Said the same thing a number of years back when I found it. Fucking Jeffery Combs is a ganga smoking mad scientist. After Re-A and FB, it's one of his best roles!.

Here's another one:

Maléfique [Book of Shadows] (2003)

youtube.com/watch?v=kdDcNU53q_8

Here's my favorite scene from Messiah of Evil (very Lovecraftian). It just got the blu-ray treatment.

youtube.com/watch?v=a2ayfmkeJGc

He sounds retarded but bloodbourne actually is an amazing game for Lovecraft fans

Thanks for the recs! I'll definitely be checking these out.

Now that I've had multiple affirming (Yous), I'll do the boring task of listing off why From Beyond is the "Lovecraftian" kino par excellence: SBOILERS:

-tentacle monsters? Check.
-quotidian country estate, housing a scientist's experiments? Check.
-eerie light lets you know when the Other Plane is near? Check.
-corruption of the Eldritch Unknown driving all that it touches to depravity and madness? Check.
/x/-tier "pineal gland" story element? Check.
Direct adaptation of a Lovecraft story which yet escapes latter-day "xD ebin Cthulhu memes" redditry? Check.
BDSM cheese tossed in for a little extra "just because" edge? Check.