The new AnCo track was just as disappointing as PW...

The new AnCo track was just as disappointing as PW. I love so much of their material but on their last 2 album cycles they just seem so much less adventurous and creative than they used to. Rather than regularly evolving their sound as they once did they seem content to stick to the "off kilter beat with wacky sounding synths" formula with meaningless lyrics and totally forgettable vocal harmonies. Really hoping they shake up their sound a lot next album cycle/take a more organic sound up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GxhaRgJUMl8
youtu.be/yqQ7tU26Q6E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I liked it. "Life is so french toast to me" is a pretty stupid lyric but I don't listen to AnCo for the lyrics. I think it's better than anything on Painting With desu.

CHz is Punished God tier

>Really hoping they shake up their sound a lot next album cycle/take a more organic sound up.
I doubt it. AnCo were great in the 00s but they've drained their creativity and it would be a miracle if they got it back now.

no way is it better than Golden Gals. that's in my top 10 anco songs

At least Deakin's album showed a burst of something that was good

Sleep Cycle gives me hope

I liked the new track. But they'll switch up there sound, they always have, so why wouldn't they now?

Panda's doing a solo now, so I guess we'll see what direction they might go in from that

What males you think that?

that was seriously a diamond in the rough that was painting with.

This is getting embarrassing. Has any band fallen farther than Animal Collective?

How do you from such high quality albums to utter garbage?

They had a good run. It's time to pack it in before they tarnish their legacy any further.

If they had quit after Feels they would be remembered as one of the greatest bands of all time. But they ruined that for themselves.

I'd date the fall after Fall Be Kind, ironically. Everything since has been of seriously questionable quality and makes me wonder if these are the same musicians, sometimes, so drastic is the difference. AnCo have become a parody of themselves, they just seem to be trying to hard to be "wacky" sounding now

It's like they have no self awareness now. Do they not hear how shit it sounds?

But you know all their old albums had a clear, distinct sound that separated them from the others. Spirit, ST, Feels, etc. They each have their own unique sound they stand out and they're memorable.

All this new shit sounds the same. It's all forgettable and you can't hear any distinction between the new song and Painting With. It all has the same plastic fake gooey sound.

Absolutely, and that's what made me enjoy them. They were able to make distinct albums that were worth making, like, I remember watching Panda or Avey saying on an old interview about making Strawberry Jam "Well we really wanted to avoid just making a Feels 2", and it feels like they've totally abandoned that ethos. And it'd be one thing if they were harping on a sound from their past, but this formless, almost dadaist garbage is terrible.

Floridada was legitimately one of the best songs of 2016.

Fight me.

>all the new shit sounds the same
You do realize that this EP is LEFTOVERS from painting with, just like People, Water Curses, Prospect Hummer, e.t.c? This is likely the last hurrah of the PW era.

But they've been on this over-produced, self consciously "wacky and zany" streak since CHz, and a bit before that

every song but that and Golden Gal on PW was mediocre to full on bad

What're you fucking talking about?

I would say it started to an extent with MPP and it's all gone downhill from there.

yeah I never thought the "meow kitties" band would turn into something wacky

try listening to ANYTHING made by any member of the band post Fall Be Kind. Down There and Tomboy had their redeeming qualities but AnCo has been artistically bankrupt since then

CHz marked the beginning of their decline

I mainly just look forward to their solo albums now

Floridada poster here.

100% CORRECT MUCHACHO

>what is sleep cycle
>what is honeycomb/gotham and first half of CHz

General point agreed though.

They're getting too old to capture that childlike wonder that their earlier albums had. They're gonna have to change things up big time.

Hated the album. Then I listened to it on 300ug of acid and was like HOLY FUCK this is amazing. I finally figured out what the hell they're doing on this album. Didn't have the same experience with CHz (except for New Town Burnout)

But I still don't listen to it lol. It's not for sober ears.

Sounds like Water Curses. There are several songs on MPP worse than this, anyways.

You're only noticing the dumb lyrics because it's released as a lyric video.

Nah because MPP and FBK are pretty astonishing musical accomplishments. Without those two albums AnCo would be nothing but potential. Feels and ST are great but I think they're even better knowing that they fully reached their potential in the MPP era. It shows that there's a really solid method to the madness.

Sleep Cycle was all songs Deak had already written from years of touring. Honeycomb/Gotham had be excited for a follow up to MPP they have yet to produce

How did they have a more mature adult sound in their early 20s than they do now pushing 40

It's like they have emotionally regressed

They have nothing left to say anymore... that's the sad reality of it. Now they just make weird music that they like to make, but doesn't really have a purpose. Panda Bear had the same thing - his first two albums were incredibly emotional and purposeful then he just started making music to make music.

I enjoy LSD and all, but I don't get the "listen to it on acid and it'll blow your MIND MAN" meme. Like, yeah, it increases your appreciation for and the emotional significance of music, but doesn't completely change the sound of the music to the extent that would be necessary to make Painting With good

More examples of some bands that were embodiments of coolness and being "current" in one decade just to become tired relics right after the beginning of another decade?

It's like AnCo were meant to disband exactly on the last day of 2009.

you all need to stop creating this narrative in your heads where an artist has their "peak" and then they quickly lose relevance, you're convinced that's what's supposed to happen in music, you've been convinced by trend hopping journalists and dadrockers and turned into miniature trend hopping journalists and dadrockers who believe that bands have some kind of obvious expiration date. Music journos literally get paid to call the trends, they don't do it because it's "cool", you don't get paid. There's no point in trying to sink active bands with floods of negative comments so your story gets to be the correct one. Dadrockers only look at music in retrospect and creating narratives is the only interaction they can have with the music. You kind of want to be both at the same time and it's weird and pathetic like you're declaring things you liked to be "the past" for the express purpose of then clinging onto it when really this shit's still going strong.

You probably tried to say something, but that post is sadly just an incoherent puke.

this post peaked after the first sentence

What do people like about that song?

I liked CHz and PW and still think AnCo's a good band. I'm glad they aren't the type to care about the "fans" who think they should just quit because they didn't like their last album

this tibbyh

if they were, they'dve stopped when spirits fans whined about DM

or when DM fans whined about ST

or when ST fans whined about Feels

or when Feels fans whined about SJ

or when SJ fans whined about MPP

I think you know where this is going

If Deakster takes the reigns it could be great, Centipede was a much better album than people give it credit for and Sleep Cycle was my personal AOTY last year, so I have hope if Deakerino takes the lead.

They're too old for this youthful childlike aesthetic now. It doesn't sound right. They're like 40. They need to embrace their adulthood and make more mature music.

If they don't, it's only going to get worse.

who said theyre supposed to do that

what rule?

your music taste?

Yes obviously. Who else you idiot

Ummm

fuc u?

>their objectively best song
>no Deak

youtube.com/watch?v=GxhaRgJUMl8

What did they mean by this?

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. The use of tablas and lightly political lyrics on Kinda Bonkers has me convinced their next cycle of songwriting will be worldly folktronica led by Deak and Avey. Plus Kinda Bonkers is a great song. You nerds are so threatened by change.

>this is the average AnCo fan

>their objectively best song
>no Deak or Geo
>Panda co-written

youtu.be/yqQ7tU26Q6E

What did they mean by this?

>threatened by change
>it sounds exactly like Painting With

what song on PW has reverb on the vocal track like Kinda Bonkers does?

>Has any band fallen farther than Animal Collective?
yes. plenty.
their fall wasn't nearly as bad as the people in this board believe. one mediocre record (two if you don't like Centipede Hz) and suddently they're the worst band of the decade.

>yes. plenty.
Name some.

>one bad record
But it's not just bad. It literally sounds like mental retardation and Down syndrome in musical form. But if that's what they were trying to achieve then great job I guess

Yep because PW was chock full of tabla percussion. And all that hocketing on Kinda Bonkers too!

indie rock now really is bad and boujee

i like everything in it familia

>Name some.

You really wanna do this?

The Stones.
The Who.
The Kinks.
The Beach Boys.
Yes.
Metallica.
Jefferson Airplane.
The Moody Blues.
Pink Floyd.
Funkadelic.
The Cars.
Gang of Four.
Sly & the Family Stone.
Led Zep.
Blondie, Devo, Talking Heads.
Can.
The Clash.
CSN&Y.
Jethro Tull.
Weezer.

Solo artists?

Bob Dylan. (he got better)
Elvis Costello.
Joni Mitchell.
Neil Young.
Stevie Wonder.
Zappa.
Lou Reed.
McCartney.
Bowie (he got better).

There are more and more and more and more to count. If you think AnCo going from MPP to CHz is the world's worst drop in quality then you have not listened to much music.

Weezer got better too tho

Fair, I'm a big old fan of Weezer and their most recent two records are tight as fuck. But the drop in quality after Pink is infamous, albeit exaggerated.

So this new song is mediocre just like 90% of Painting With. Aside from the nice melody with the 'unity' part, it's completely forgettable and sounds uninspired.

Regarding the posts about their precipitous decline, I have to point out that ODDSAC is post-MPP and has not only a handful of great songs, but ones that could be considered in the mold of their previous works. There are shades of Sung Tongs / Feels in Screens, Working, and Tantrum Barb, and shades of Spirit in Mess Hour House. It's possible that those tracks are the brief return to previous greatness for which we'd hope, and there isn't much hope for their future albums doing it any more.

That is ridiculous imo. They reached full potential in Feels, then rode that wave into MPP (although they botched the studio recordings for some of that).

Whoda thunk that Deakin would be the one to save AnCo.

The only thing I hated about Sleep Cycle was that he didn't release more of it.

>Pink Floyd

They went downhill but they never made anything even remotely as embarrassingly bad as Painting With.

In fact some of the songs on The Division Bell are actually not bad.

>They went downhill but they never made anything even remotely as embarrassingly bad as Painting With.

You're high as a kite if you think The Final Cut or a Momentary Lapse of Reason are redeemable at all.

At least PW is short despite not having great songwriting. Those have shit songwriting AND they're slow as fuck with a metric shitload of lyrical posturing and asstastic production. The Wall wasn't even that good but going from that to the Final Cut to A Momentary Lapse of Reason, with four years between each album, is pathetic.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason's title descibres its contents, and does its album cover, a guy sat down, surrounded by beds, staring at the ground. It's shit.

PW was good 7/10

>mature
>french toast

>also, the french toast part was good

They've got a real "Yo Gabba Gabba"/children's music thing going these days. "Bonkers" is like some pseudo-hip Raffi for adults.

If you think PW is bad then you're retarded. It is significantly worse than some of their albums but it's still good.

CHz tho is irredeemably bland.

Centipede Hz is amazing.

Painting With is a solid 7/10

AnCo still rule. What a bunch of whining autists you all are.

So PW's redeeming quality is that you don't have to suffer through it as long? Nice argument, m8. Shitsux, whether it's short or not.

Anco is not indie rock lmao

Member when Painting With leaked and the majority of the posts in the threads were non-ironically saying it was their best album since SJ and that it was the modern day Pet Sounds?

I member

For sure they aren't as good as they used to be but I still enjoyed their last two albums, even if only slightly. I still think they definitely have some good albums in them. Just look at Sleep Cycle or Mountain Game. Heck, you can even look at this new song. It's no Feels but it's sure better than most of the material on Painting With.

>I'd date the fall after Fall Be Kind, ironically.
I think you mean after ODDSAC user

this desu

CHz isnt wacky and zany. I don't get wacky cartoon vibes from it. Okay, maybe on Applesauce but come on. That's a jam.

It was from 2015

Sup Forums praised painting with when it leaked until the p4k review came out

You're all idiots

lmao nobody did that.

Except people did do that? Not everyone; opinions are clearly split about Animal Collective's later work.

Stop being a sheep, jesus christ. Just because pitchfork and anthony fantano don't like PW, doesn't mean it's bad.

majority of this thread disagrees m8. its a clear decline

>indie rock i guess

Painting With was great. And the new track is really good imo too. What's the point in comparing their old work with their new work? I prefer their other albums but that's no good reason to judge PW so harshly.

Unlike you, I don't read Pitchfork or watch Fantano so I was unaware that they disliked it, but PW is shit mate

green was fine, mala too. they didn't really get bad until make believe

I get not being too hot on Painting With, but I genuinely don't understand people's problems with CHz. I think it's kind of weak in regards to the rest of their discog, but it's still a good solid album. I've never had anyone actually articulate why they dislike CHz to me other than they think it's bad.

I don't get why people expected this to not sound like Painting With? Like if you pay any attention to AnCo's discog it's p obvious that a year after every album they release an EP of outtakes from the album.

There's a reason FBK sounds like MPP
There's a reason People sounds like Feels
There's a reason WC sounds like SJ

They're all from the same batch of recordings lol

It changes the way it sounds for me, because I'm not oriented to time and space so I can really focus on every little thing when I listen. In addition, it changes how I interpret it since i'm in the acid "Broo everything is AWESOME!" state of mind, so I'm much more open to different experiences than usual.

It's not a narrative, your brain chemistry literally changes as you get older to make you less adaptive and able to produce new, creative material. That's why only a select few artists have been relevant their entire lives, like Bowie. It takes a legit musical genius to make it into middle age and still make new, interesting music, much less do it up until they die. Typically 35ish is when the decline starts.

For me it's mainly the muddy and dull production, shit mixing (seriously, there are instances when you can't hear guitar lines or subtle details from Avey's synths without the volume turned way up), and weak songwriting. Often times in the songs their will be multiple motifs with only a tenuous strand of continuity.

That's exactly what happened

People were calling PW a modern Pet Sounds up until the review came out, and then suddenly "lmao nobody did that."

>the majority of this hivemind agrees with a popular opinion
I wouldn't have guessed

Wrt your second point that's why many experimental electronic and jazz artists, as well as contemporary classical composers, collaborate a lot - esp in later years. Keeps the POV fresh and allows news ideas to seep in.

god they're so greasy

Seriously, why does everybody just compare every new release to their old stuff? What's the point in dwelling in the past? Would they rather AnCo just made the same album every two years?

MAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMAMA

To be fair the original PW threads were mainly an AnCo fanboy circle jerk. Once more tepid and less invested listeners heard the leak, the perception unsurprisingly shifted. Contrast this with Sleep Cycle where both waves looked upon it favorably.

Anyone calling anything a "modern day Pet Sounds" is a crazy person anyway.

Yup, very true. It's not a reflection on the individual when they fall off. It's why bands that thrive on energy peak with their first or second albums, and bands/artists that thrive on creativity and musical soundscaping do their best work around 30. It has everything to do with neurological changes that come with aging and brain maturity.

its really not that bad

>Typically 35ish is when the decline starts.
I've read that late thirties/early forties is the peak of one's creative potential, followed by a steady decline

Who are some exceptions to this?

In theory yes, however the music industry tends to accelerate that process a bit.

David Bowie, Lou Reed, Radiohead, (arguably) Kanye West. There are others but the list is exclusive and I'm blanking.