I've been learning Norwegian (Bokmål) for about a week

It's pretty easy tbqh. I haven't really noticed gender yet (there's only neuter and gendered right?) but some compound words are amusing like Jordbær (earthberry=strawberry), edderkopp (poison cup=spider), appelsin (apple chinese=orange) any goofy compound words from other langauges or even English, and any explanations for these ones

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SLN1my33ICQ&start=270
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

amerifeiting

You retard. Norwegian doesnt use English words, English uses Norwegian ones

What are you talking about? I said norwegian has a few amusing compound words, and asked if from a foreign perspective if there are any strange compounds in English.
Mountain Monkey

I learned Norwegian for about 8 months, but then when I started using it to try to speak to Norwegians they just insulted me, so I stopped learning it.

I'm learning Norwegian because I wanted to learn a Scandinavian language and it is the most mutually intelligible apparently. But my Swedish great grandma is rolling in her grave...

Er tað satt at tú ert ovurfeitur?

その旗はまれですよ!フェロー語とアイスランド語をはなしゅません。:'(

orsaka, húsfólk

Faroese guy, I can't understand what you're saying and can't even find a translator online for your language.

Dau ær no slik at ikkje alt heriverda ær mågleg å oversettja.

I could probably learn Norwegian in 2 days.
I wouldn't bother though as it's a racist hell.

Ná, so google umsetari týðir ikki nynorsk?

Reminder that learning Bokmal is useless cause people speak completely differently.

Bokmal is written only.

If I know Bokmal couldn't I easily learn the dialects though?

The short answer is no, even norwegians themselves have difficulties understanding their own countrymen.

I was mislead by the Swede who told me Bokmal was mutually intelligible with most/all of Scandinavian langauges

Blåmennar klarar ikkje oversettja sognamål, rein nynorsk kan gå.

Seriously though, speaking standardized east Norwegian (what people call spoken bokmål) is understandable by any Scandinavian who tries to understand and learning it will usually make you able to understand if they want you to understand.

Thanks for not fucking with me Norwegian friendo

Speakers of Bokmål have an easier time understanding Danish and Swedish than the other way around, but make no mistake, it's not *because* they know Bokmål, it's because of the exposure they get in Norway. Students of Bokmål do not have that same level of mutual intelligibility.

>norwegians learn english to speak with other norwegians
oho

youtube.com/watch?v=SLN1my33ICQ&start=270

true dat