Music majors

ITT music majors

>how is it?
>how far along are you?
>would you recommend it to other losers on this board?
>general discussion of schools, theory, ear training, etc

Personally I fucking hate it. Theory makes no sense to me, and I'm terrible at ear training and hate the singing involved. I'm doing okay with my focus instrument at least

>majoring in an art
Actually retarded. Build a portfolio/practice your shit and you'll get a job. The degree is worthless for you.

I don't think that applies to music as much as art. I don't intend on just playing smalls gigs at restaurants or something

>music major with history/theory emphasis
Yeah I mean it's a good major if you plan on slaving away at grad school like me. Honestly though, I'm glad I didn't do performance because I would hate myself more than I already do.

What's your instrument f.am?

>tfw no music history classes
Community college a shit

Guitar with an emphasis on flamenco, maybe some classical later down the line

Decent so far but definitely considering a double major.
Almost halfway.
If the music scene in your state is big, yes.
Theory I'm getting a grasp of fairly well.

(I'm not sharing my school since there's already some creepy asshole is already posting info about me)

>Community college a shit
huh?

>jazz performance major at top 5 school for it
I would probably be fucked if i wasnt on track for getting a phd

>getting phd in music
>not fucked
my sides

Literally a waste of time and your money. Good luck finding a high paying job with a music major

Cause being a professor isnt a patrician enough job for you, vargfag?

>Cause being a professor isnt a patrician
You said it yourself

>vargfag
u wot?

Do you play an instrument, vargfag?

guitar, bass, piano, drums, dulcimer, and a bit of a celtic harp I bought last year.

You're still fucked. Once you finally get past nearly a decade of literally paying to work at a school, you might be one of a handful of people selected to be a non-tenured assistant professor. And professors in arts programs get paid shit and there's literally thousands of people waiting to take your place for the same shitty pay, or less. I wish there was a better system, but there isn't, and the majority of people stop pursuing it for this reason (and the others still fucking hate it).

College should be seen more as an investment than an education, and in purely economic terms, arts degrees are money pits.

>not being good enough to get full ride
Kek

WOW YOU PLAY SO MANY INSTRUMENTS. I bet your soundcloud solo project is helping you fund your studio in yer mums basement

>College should be seen more as an investment than an education, and in purely economic terms, arts degrees are money pits.
This is pretty much happening for all majors except for the degree-necessary fields of medicine, law, computer science/engineering. The (American) college degree has been so devalued it's not even funny.

Music + Business major here. I'm a junior and I'm starting to feel really burnt out now, but I'm holding out for that degree. I also hate my school but I can't afford to transfer out.

Not completely true, a lot of music graduates I know go on to work stable salaried jobs. Not all of them are still in music but almost all of them still keep up with practice and like to play when they can.

It's more about the network you build than it is what your degree was in.

Not really that many, user. I'm just a music student. I've don't make music. So, I don't have a SoundCloud.

>I am an undergrad who has no idea what he's talking about
Can't wait for you to write your first grant application

The whole system is ridiculous at this point, just another debt trap.

I'm not sure what the music degree got them? Plenty of people get white collar jobs without degrees, and aren't burdened with debt/years spent towards no particular ambition.

Getting a degree in music will still prove to employers that you aren't a lazy bum, and will open up career oppertunities as a band teacher, music instructor, etc.

It means I can charge out the ass for private lessons because I'm classically trained :^)

Yeah hi I'll have a number 6 with fries and extra mayo, large soda. Thank you and have a good day!

mmuh sides

Note to anyone considering a music major: almost every music professor also offers private lessons, and you can learn and work on the exact same material for a fraction of the cost

>extra mayo

THIS

I majored in music with a focus on technology and sound design rather than performance, simply because it was what I was interested in. Don't plan on being a performer, but it is nice to have the tech background.

>tfw $46 per unit
>$138 for weekly private lessons, repertoire class, and an ensemble class.
>similar price for theory and ear train in classes
Oh boy so expensive

How does that work? People just give you more money out of pity?

>Hello I am rich Indian doctor, please teach my son to player guitar
>oy vey that will be $150 an hour
Honestly how my teacher got one of his private student

what's a good major then if music isn't one?

EE

I mean, a music major on Sup Forums surely must be a failure.