Tell me again how you don't watch old films

Tell me again how you don't watch old films.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_FrdVdKlxUk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Production_Code
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>black and white
>only boring drama or cheesy sci-fis
>literally every performance is terrible and phony
>no violence or swear words or moral ambiguity at all

HOW?

they're just not as accessible and there's more movie being made now more then ever.

>no tits

>no fancy color to keep me visually stimulated
>no flashy action to keep my ADD in check
>people aren't switching between whispering and shouting all the time
>no naughty words or rude stuff so I don't get a thrill out of secretly watching it late at night on low volume while my mommy sleeps upstairs

They're boring as fuck. I do get a kick out of seeing redditors like yourself forcing yourself to watch this shit to look intelligent though

where do old movies end and new movies begin for you? Like what year?

Vitti is my waifu.

there's no binary distinction but i think the 30s-50s are the most boring, speaking generally

Is this action flick from 1902 boring too?
youtube.com/watch?v=_FrdVdKlxUk

She is goddess hnnnng

>I think the 30s-50s are the most boring, speaking generally

I judge people who pull this shit, honestly.
I don't have a 'born in da wrong generation' boner for old films, or hold them up like a mythical oasis of good film making or anything, but if you're the sort of person who just blanket refuses to watch anything black and white, or even give a silent film a chance, you're a fucking moron.
There's no excuse for it.

Why? That's a huge number of films you're grouping together over 3 decades.

Thank you for actually saying something correct.

That's really retarded
>black and white
Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey etc...
Comedies: Some Like It Hot, Chaplin etc... Or are you trying to say film genres were established in 90s or 00s?
>literally every performance is terrible and phony
Well that's really retarded. Name me a better performance than Al Pachino in The Godfather
That's shit, are you so stupid that this is what you looking for in a film?

I watch them now and then, but let's be realistic. 90% of classics are overrated and many of them have aged like milk. Newer movies are just better.

Vertigo (1958)

I do watch them occasionally and I think some of them age well and some of them just dont.

Let's be realistic, they are not. Obviously. Only 11 yo kid would think otherwise.

I was asked to point to a year, that's why...

>all the protagonists are straight white men

It sure is pleb time around here.
Go back to your capeshit and GoT containment threads.

I meant why do you think those years are "the most boring"?

It's all up to taste. Obviously a movie from 1953 will not be the same as one from any decade after, so if you go at it expecting something modern and familiar you'll be disappointed. Once you accept things for what they are and open yourself up to new styles, you can find a whole new spectrum of things you do or don't like

Personally, I don't like much noir at all, despite it being the most "modern" classic genre and the most recommended by youn-ish movie fans. I'm rapidly falling in love with old Westerns though, which a few years ago I never would have expected myself too.

>Lawrence of Arabia, 2001 A Space Odyssey etc...
both from the 1960s, when colour film really took hold. not really that old in the grand scheme of things, but I doubt you've seen anything else of that era seeing as you named the most popular shit

The Godfather isnt an old movie you fucking child

>That's shit, are you so stupid that this is what you looking for in a film?
hurr violence and profanity means ur dumb!!!

>Comedies: Some Like It Hot, Chaplin
I will continue to list the most well known examples because im a twat!

Good looking men weren't invented yet back then.

Hello from 1925

>le epic everything was better in the old days maymay

Only 80 year olds and tryhard hipsters actually believe this.

That's not Potemkin is it?

I recently learned that Eisenstein was gay (before seeing that eh Greenaway film on it) and after that the opening to Potemkin seems extremely homoerotic

Yup

Your film examples are too famous for my obscure pretentious intelligent taste, even though it was not the point of a question: the post.

Lot of idiots on both sides of this thread. It's impossible to say that newer or older movies are better because that's an arbitrary distinction that invites you to look only at the negatives of each side. Of course new movies will seem worse if you're only thinking of capeshit and jupiter ascending, and the same goes for older films. Also none of this is even related to op's post, he was just trying to say that the mentality of not watching "old" movies is silly.

holy fuck i literally just watched this movie

wtf OP did you read my mind

I meant why do you think those years are "the most boring
in general they lack the fluidity or naturalism of later cinema. it's like watching a stage play, too impersonal, too formal, too dead etc. I acknowledge there are some exceptions

I don't watch GoT and I'm probably more patrician than you 2bh

>I'm probably more patrician than you 2bh
You sound insecure. Bet you're a manlet too.

Why did Anna make up the story about the shark?

insecure? you're the one who began by calling me a pleb. im just telling facts, pleb

"Impersonal" I can get, for drama I greatly prefer the more intimate stuff than the bigger, projected emotions of Classic Hollywood.

The rest doesn't bother me at all. It's just a different style of staging and acting, they no longer get in my way of enjoying something outright. What would you say are the exceptions?

sure, it's just that style isn't for me personally. great and talented people have used that sort of art but I can't enjoy it.

I think Ozu's non-comedy is a big exception

Sure pal, whatever gets you through life.

nice spiderman guy

At least "capeshit" is entertaining unlike movies like Citizen Kane and Casablanca where fuck all happens and are considered classics for whatever stupid reasons.

people don't wanna feel like they wasted 2 1/2 hours by watching that shit so they pretend like it's some monumental thing and get other people to watch it then the cycle repeats

Dude, also just finished it. What do you think about the ending? I was expecting to have Anna's story not explained, but that ending. What did they mean by this?

Paul Dano's Criterion Top 10 was my launchpad for watching old movies I have always intended on seeing but never tried.

Now old movies don't scare me. But I just need to say Ozu is better than Tokyo Story, why is that considered his masterpiece?

Make Way for Tomorrow was a special film for me, and made me open up to dat old shit, wadddup

Honestly this film didn't make much sense. The cinematography was great though. And Monica Vitti is hot as hell.

>watching black and white 3DPD

i thought it was supposed to mean that their relationship might become more meaningful than just a quick shag (unlike all of the other relationships in the movie) since they are both actually emotional about it

Some huge plebs right there.

found the kind of person I was talking about

This shit right here is why we need elitism on Sup Forums. This board needs to be purged from plebs.

How could their relationship be any serious if he acts like this. After saying he loves her. Absolutely inappropriate.

it's americans
they're not able to undrestand a movie that has not been made in america, lately.
the others watch it.

well she forgives him and he seems distraught after he does it

he doesn't seem to give much of a shit when anna disappears, in contrast

Do you know of any place where it is possible to find people who are really into cinema, to have discussion with? Those who have idea of values in films, and who have actually seen all important classics.

Pretty sure very few watch Orson Welles' films.

Well this makes sense. But he's still a faggot for cheating on such goddess.

God she's gorgeous

Gotta watch this soon

Red Desert > L'Eclisse > La Notte > L'Avventura

There are plenty of message boards devoted to it, though I can't mention any off the top of my head.

the karagarga forums

I love Hollywood movies from the 1930's to 1960's, more than anything else actually. The only thing is that I've never been able to get into silent films or foreign films, every once in a while I try a few movies, get bored and give up. Not sure why because I am interested in expanding my horizons, maybe I'm just doomed to be a pleb forever

but I do, based Ford and Antonioni are few of my favorite directors.

Malick, De Palma, Zombie and Eastwood are the others

>important classics

What does that even mean?

L'Avventura > La Notte > L'Eclisse > Red Desert
literally

I assume it means films that were highly influential, acclaimed or best exemplify their particular genre, time period or movement

I only ever watch The Apartment over and over about every two weeks

This is literally impossibru. I love all 4.

Believe me, I've tried getting people into films made before 2006 and or foreign/independent/art cinema its a fools errand, you hear the same shit.
Everyone just tells you everything is too old, slow, boring, gimmicky, pretentious, weird for the sake of weird, underexplained, exploitative, overacted, overly long, too violent, not enough shakey cam, no jump scares, that they have no idea who's who, they watch a black comedy and don't notice its a comedy, they don't pick up on visual ques or symbols.
We need a clean-out-genocide and now ...

You're not pleb already. As for silent, hmmm, have you tried Chaplin? There is no way you could hate it. Try City Lights. As for foreign, again, they are no worse than American. Try 8½, Wild Strawberries, Breathless, Bicycle Thieves.

I love Ford. My favorite is The Searchers. I also liked Stagecoach, The Grapes of Wrath, My Darling Clementine, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

>before 2006
Is the world really THAT doomed?

We live in a world where Pg13 remakes and capeshit/cgi childrens films, reign supreme, white people playing blacks, black people playing whites, women playing men. A world where a film can be universally hated by critics and online audiences but still makes a ton of dollars.

Well, yeah. Who doesn't? I mean honestly. I love the Searchers, TMWSLV, Stagecoach, The Grapes of Wrath.

I have some free time tomorrow so I can continue watching his filmography.

Something about his directing, just beautiful how simple it is and how ethereal despite being grounded. Sorry if that sounds pretentious wank, but that's how I feel.

I'll give those a try, thanks

>Who doesn't? I mean honestly.
Everyone else on this board except us two.

I'm rageposting to an extent because I remember how thick I was as a teenager/kid and no I wasn't the only one.
I got triggered by an imdb post I read some years ago also where a guy was praising the terminator reboot over the originals because he could watch old, pre 2000s films.

don't you need an invite for that

you are a patrician, aren't you?

The Searchers is dull as fuck.

Just want to quickly add, I'm not against new films I love all eras, firmly believe that every director/era has its stinkers and winners.

Gonna watch The Bridge on the River Kawaii now. Hope it's good. At least it's in color.

I think it's beautifully shot but I have to agree, honestly I don't care much for Ford's later work, but I love the films he made in the mid 30's - early 40's. Stagecoach, The Hurricane, The Lost Patrol, Drums Along the Mohawk, Wee Willie Winkie, How Green Was My Valley, etc.

and horror, comedy, gangster movies, war movies, etc, etc

Obviously you've never heard of the hays code or seen any movies that came out before it was implemented. Obviously you've never seen any foreign films from this era. There's plenty of movies going back to the silent era full of nudity and gore.

I do. The Universal monsters are some of my all-time favorites.

Yeah, it's beautifully shot, but why film in Monument Valley and say it takes place in Texas? That triggered me more than anything.

Don't know how you call it dull, more like absolute fucking gut wrenching film. Wayne as Ethan Edwards' has amazing performance and it's shot beautifully.

>sunday
>the GoT day
>plebs all over the board

Who woulda thought. At least our gotfriends are being honest about their plebiness here, if you say shit like this on reddit you get downvoted amirite?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Production_Code

How come actors sounded different in the 30's and 40's?

?

I think the sound equipment they used during that time was more primitive and clunky

I can only imagine so some fat, smelly, loser NEET living off food stamp rations, the illumination of his ancient laptop screen bouncing off his triple chin and highlighting runway Ramen noodles, downloading shitty, cheesy old movies and thinking he's somehow a man of dignified and refined taste. Pathetic.

70s is the border decade. Films from the 80s and onwards are accessible for plebs, 60s and back aren't.

The sound equipment they use in Italian-French films at around 50s to 70s is horrible. American films from same era sound so much better.