Can anyone recommend some good avant garde guitar?

can anyone recommend some good avant garde guitar?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dmfzfD3tRdk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fred Frith

Arto Lindsay

nigga would i post the cover of an album made by his band if i didn't already know about him

Derek Bailey and Keith Rowe are all you need for now.

Sorry man, forgive me

it's ok. he's quickly becoming my favorite guitarist

Vai aint exactly a mainstream day at the park:

youtube.com/watch?v=dmfzfD3tRdk

Have you seen the documentary about him. I'm considering watching it

Faust's s/t

Kevin Drumm
John Fahey gets pretty out there on his later releases

wow never even heard of it fuck ya i will

Should be pretty good

this the most. from the first generation of improvisers Frith is maybe the most out there.
the stuff you can hear in DNA (or Harry Pussy for that matter, even if they have more resemblance to actual structure) is pretty non-form so you should check it out, really sets the path for something that can be heard in noise rock even today.
Bailey's technique is maybe the best of the people mentioned here, his tone control is absolute. Rowe is alright in my book, never been a fan.
Anyway check out
Masayuki Takayanagi
Rhys Chatham
Blue Humans / Chrome
I would also put Keiji Haino here, maybe listen to his Light Darkness Melting Into One This Vibration since he plays classical guitar on that one, which for me was always more interesting than effect layered sound. The double LP Black Blues is also interesting.

it's on youtube if you can find it
and it's totally worth it.

I also forgot to mention solmania,
I use his pseudonym when I play cs 1.6

and finally maybe you should lend an ear to some of the early blues musicians delta or not, since what they've done was a big inspiration for a part of the names mention here.

OP here, thanks guys you've been very helpful

This album, Colored Sands, by Gorguts contains some of the most avant garden guitar playing you will find.

Hans Reichel
Henry Kaiser

Just don't go see him live, it'll ruin the illusion. He's still doing the same tricks, years on... he used to be innovative, but now he's like Han Bennink on the drums, just the crowdpleasing tactics, no effort to move forward.

Oh and if you want a more contemporary guitarist, Uchihashi Kazuhisa I recommend.

Sonny Sharrock when he was in Last Exit
James Plotkin
Richard Pinhas

mary halvorson

For sure, Altered States are amazing, especially Mosaic.

it's very good

He was great with Ground-Zero too. Speaking of:
Otomo Yoshihide

Great movie.
Also check out Marc Ribot.

Everything Bill Frisell ever did. But especially Power Tools. Maximum comfy.