So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums
I would really like to switch to linux, but i have no clue whatsoever on what distribution i should use. my home computer currently is running windows 10 and i absolutely hate it, though the only OS i've had, were windows, so i am pretty used to microsoft. i would have to do work and studies with it, and i play games on a somewhat regular basis. also i draw alot with my pc. any recommendations?
> inb4 totally new to linux

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tqo-v-zeZ24
ubuntu.com/download/desktop/contribute?version=16.04.1&architecture=amd64
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ubuntu!!!! Great hardware support, plenty of free apps available, and easy to install. The end.

Ubuntu or Linux Mint

Ubuntu is the first logical answer.
You can use google to find alternatives like mint or debian.
I first installed ubuntu on dual boot a few years ago and I recently replaced it with debian.

Just install Debian testing, Ubuntu is total trash.
Every distro with nonfree firmware and a current kernel has great hardware support yet 16.04 can't even initialize x server on my current machine with an AMD GPU. Also Canonical is literal cancer.

Linux mint.
It is based on Ubuntu and it is designed to be easy to use.
You should download either Cinnamon or KDE edition.
If your hardware is really old (I doulbt it is, since you run Windows 10) a more lite interface is XFCE.

Ι'd јuѕt lіkе tο іntеrјесt fοr а mοmеnt. Wһаt уοu'rе rеfеrrіng tο аѕ Lіnux, іѕ іn fасt, GΝU/Lіnux, οr аѕ Ι'vе rесеntlу tаkеn tο саllіng іt, GΝU рluѕ Lіnux. Lіnux іѕ nοt аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm untο іtѕеlf, but rаtһеr аnοtһеr frее сοmрοnеnt οf а fullу funсtіοnіng GΝU ѕуѕtеm mаdе uѕеful bу tһе GΝU сοrеlіbѕ, ѕһеll utіlіtіеѕ аnd vіtаl ѕуѕtеm сοmрοnеntѕ сοmрrіѕіng а full OS аѕ dеfіnеd bу ΡOSΙX.

Mаnу сοmрutеr uѕеrѕ run а mοdіfіеd vеrѕіοn οf tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm еvеrу dау, wіtһοut rеаlіzіng іt. Τһrοugһ а ресulіаr turn οf еvеntѕ, tһе vеrѕіοn οf GΝU wһісһ іѕ wіdеlу uѕеd tοdау іѕ οftеn саllеd "Lіnux", аnd mаnу οf іtѕ uѕеrѕ аrе nοt аwаrе tһаt іt іѕ bаѕісаllу tһе GΝU ѕуѕtеm, dеvеlοреd bу tһе GΝU Ρrοјесt.

Τhеrе rеаllу іѕ а Lіnux, аnd tһеѕе реοрlе аrе uѕіng іt, but іt іѕ јuѕt а раrt οf tһе ѕуѕtеm tһеу uѕе. Lіnux іѕ tһе kеrnеl: tһе рrοgrаm іn tһе ѕуѕtеm tһаt аllοсаtеѕ tһе mасһіnе'ѕ rеѕοurсеѕ tο tһе οtһеr рrοgrаmѕ tһаt уοu run. Τһе kеrnеl іѕ аn еѕѕеntіаl раrt οf аn οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm, but uѕеlеѕѕ bу іtѕеlf; іt саn οnlу funсtіοn іn tһе сοntеxt οf а сοmрlеtе οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm. Lіnux іѕ nοrmаllу uѕеd іn сοmbіnаtіοn wіtһ tһе GΝU οреrаtіng ѕуѕtеm: tһе wһοlе ѕуѕtеm іѕ bаѕісаllу GΝU wіtһ Lіnux аddеd, οr GΝU/Lіnux. All tһе ѕο-саllеd "Lіnux" dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ аrе rеаllу dіѕtrіbutіοnѕ οf GΝU/Lіnux.

Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, check out KDE

OP here
thanks for clearing things up
> inb4 OP is a faggot

install gentoo

youtube.com/watch?v=Tqo-v-zeZ24

Mint.
You have ubuntu core,thus ubuntu forums are useful and also you get a functional system with even WINE Nano and PlayOnLinux. These three can actually make Linux be able to install apps made for windows.

Lubuntu, good for old computers like mine

get ubuntu if you want a bloated OS but a lot but fragmented information. get fedora 23 or 24 cuz its stable, less bloated and less fragmanted information.

ubuntu is ok
kubuntu is a buggy mess
xubuntu is ok
lubuntu can be finnicky
ubuntu mate is a blast from the past
mint is poorly maintained, better install cinnamon on a different distro if you want it so bad

debian isn't for beginners (i'm looking at you, wicd)
don't use debian stable for desktop usage since debian testing is stable enough

arch, gentoo, slackware, independant, redhat, are for those who understand linux more than
#!/bin/bash
echo 'hello world'

i recommend ubuntu or xubuntu

digimend is the tablet driver, works wonders with huion
krita is the go to for drawing, also azpainter if you feel like adapting

check out and distrowatch

Ubuntu, clean look, great community, and extremely stable.

debian testing with nonfree software unofficial iso if you want to avoid sideloading wifi firmware, or use a debian flavour like bodhi

> mint
enjoy your security issues

> install mint so you can pretend its widnoze
ishygddt

why not just switch back to an earlier version of windows then? :)

(OP)
PCLinuxOS. Chances are it will work out of the box. For you games look into setting up a VM with VGA passthru. If this is not an option you will have to dual boot.

ubuntu is far from the best but the easiest to start with but you will want to switch to another distro after 4 monthes orso. go for fedora or arche if you like a more steep learning curve but dont want to switch to another distro after a short time. i personly have been running fedora 23 on my desktop for more then a year and it has been stable and working perfectly for my. On the other hand i tried ubuntu before that and it worked at the beginning but i changed quickly after i got used to it.

CentOS

7 just released recently (last 6 mo) and runs great under an ESX host or bare metal

> extremely stable
i killed my x server today by fucking around with sleep commands
debian, slack are stable. ubuntu is always one wrong sudo from disaster

>i play games on a somewhat regular basis
No one of the anons before seem to have noticed this.

If you want to play games, you HAVE to stick to Windows.
> Inb4 "but user some games can be played under linux as well"
Yea, like 5% of all games available for the PC.

You have to understand: Most high-end games are programmed using DirectX as their graphics library, of which there isn't any performant port for Linux (which I know of at least).
So you'd have to stick to games that use OpenGL for rendering, I think most Valve games do.

Whelp, if you want to play currently released games, you'd have to stick to Windows.

Btw Windows 10 has a neat feature called the Linux Subsystem, maybe you try it out to have some hands-on experience in using a bash-console?

Or just don't do it at all because what you are currently using is more than sufficient for what you will ever do and doing anything involving anything linux will just make what you do that much more difficult to the point where you will regret even trying linux because your time is better spent elsewhere.

nothing better to learn on than slack

Well, if you wanna get on the deep web use Tails, but if you want it for normal use I suggest Arch Linux. Arch Linux is so sexy, it's UI is fucking amazing

off urself

see

What desktop environment are you using?

if your are trying to game then linux is not for you but if you are dead set then ubuntu is the best place to start. it is not tthe best distro but it is the most common and there for every time you google how do i do x on linux every result will be how to do x in ubuntu

Linux mint, good stepping stone.

Well, before I answer your question I will tell you that I am using Arch Linux from October 1st 2016, that is the last time I updated, before that I hadn't updated Arch in a while. My desktop environment isn't anything special, it is what you would expect from a Windows user, honestly.

If you hate Windows you'll fucking really hate Linux

agree that MINT is a good starter Distro.

and you use?

slightly modified ubuntu desktop
ubuntu is great
fuck windows

Man I bet you breathe cheeto dust and shit DnD if you felt the need to drop that load of information garbage. The kid doesn't need to know about Linux just being a kernel. He just wants to know which distro would suit him best.

What security issues?

As far as I know their servers got hacked once a few months back, and there was the whole thing about the default update settings not pushing security updates on you. Which you can change. With literally three clicks from the desktop.

Is there anything actually worth caring about, or is that it? Because as it stands there's nothing that's not perfectly secure with Mint as long as you aren't literally retarded.

It's a meme you dip

>unity
r u srs man?

To be honest, as much as I fully support Linux as a back end operating system for most things IT related, Windows has always been the best route for clients in my opinion.

I tried Linux mint once last year, I found it difficult to use and claustrophobic. Idk why, I'm used to windows. New to Linux tho. I also found it veeeery slow

I use both Windows and Linux although I have to work in Windows. Linux is great but I wouldn't recommend it to someone like OP

Why not'? Not op, but I want to get into Linux bc I heard it's less of a direct feed into government servers haha

Most Linux distros are not as polished as Windows and so you'll find you run into issues that are time consuming to fix also since you have not idea about Linux you'll basically be learning from scratch and you'll probably struggle with just installing software, Windows is easy for a reason

>I found it difficult to use
That can happen at first.

>and claustrophobic
You can customize a lot, so I'm sure you can find what you want.

>I also found it veeeery slow
That's weird. Was it just a live CD version, not installed on your computer, or a virtual machine on windows ?

What? If you're concerned about being monitored by the government then don't connect to the Internet. They aren't watching you through your webcam while you sleep

A couple years ago I would have said Ubuntu but now Fedora is much better. I don't use shit AMD cards though.
I might be a little bias since I am a Red Hat admin.

I used the test version for a while, and when I looked up my problems with speed people said I needed to actually download it onto the computer, or whatever the term is. So I installed it, and even followed the guide for removing windows completely and redistributing space? Or whatever? Like while you're installing it, it brings up in the advanced tab all those drop downs and sliders. I followed the guide on Linux Mint's website, and it was still quite slow.

This thread is already pretty full so i'm just casting my vote.

>Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Long-term Support)

Also, don't listen to anyone else. Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

You can use it without installing it on your hard drive and try it for a while. So you may as well download it and put it on a usb stick anyway.

I enjoy Mint 18 Cinnamon, I just wish there was more bug fixes releases more frequently. I guess that's what the donations are for though.

i use both too and i although linux (in my case fedora 23) has a learning curve, as any new os does, i think its more stable than windows. just something as simple as going into sleep mode does not take 3 minutes like windows does but less then 3 seconds in fedora. system crashes has also been something of the pas for me while running fedora. windows instead... yeah if i have to reboot my windows machine less then twice a week it has been a good week.

How is the install compared to ubuntu ?
What's the policy on proprietary drivers ? Same as debian ?

I am currently running Ubuntu in a virtual box, and while this is an amazing distro, I prefer arch

its pretty easy, there are tons of tutorials on the web, even if you want to dual boot.
drivers for lets say nvidia can be a hassle but then again there are alot of great tutorials on the web. i have fedora for more than a year i have not had any mayor problems i could not solve wit some simple googleing

My grandma uses Linux, she's been using it for the past two years and she used to be a farmer. Also, she hasn't really ran into an issue

The install is more Ubuntu like but a bit cleaner.
Fedora was losing so much ground to Ubuntu that they pretty much started copying them but in the last couple of releases I think they surpassed them. I really hated Unity and liked Gnome 3.

You're never going to stick with 1 Linux distro. You'll do what everyone else in this thread did and get the Linux bug.

You'll be amazed at how much you can change, and how you can set up complicated shit really easy.

You'll fuck about with it. And you'll break it. But it doesn't matter cos you can always start again.

You'll also get pissed right off when something you know you can do in Windows in 2 minutes, takes 2 hours of browsing the internet just to get working on Linux. And it will never work 100% how you want it too. You'll be tempted to (and might even) go back to Windows.

But Linux will be in your heart. And you'll miss it. And you'll go back to it. Yes you will.

So your first Linux doesn't matter. Cos it's not your last. But what you do want, it something that works. So you become comfortable with it and aren't afraid to mess about and break it.

That is Ubuntu. Nobody will argue that it's not.

Put Ubuntu on, and fuck around with it.

Here is your answer:
ubuntu.com/download/desktop/contribute?version=16.04.1&architecture=amd64

poetry
/thread

Seriously... Fuck Ubuntu
Use something like Fedora or Manjaro
Those aren't shitty Debian forks and are very easy for a first timer
I would recommend Manjaro, because it's an Arch fork, which means great community so a lot of support (Arch wiki is amazing)

Would suggest OpenBSD with KDE or Gnome

Pros:
- Brilliant documentation (better than arch)
- Everything works out of the box
- Can run most software linux can
- Free games like 0ad run on it
- Easy to install (smash enter and answer two questions)
- Secure by default
- Runs on most platforms
- Not linux

Cons:
- Not linux