Is Death Grips really hip hop?

Is Death Grips really hip hop?
I really don't think it is.

I mean, is he even rapping?

it's nu-male nu-metal

isnt that just nu-metal

its simply garbage.

what do you listen to

not death grips (aka objectively shitty music).

ExM, TMS, and BP minus first two tracks and title track, definitely yes

it's a bit more abstract with NOTM, GP, and JD

>implying spammers ever reply sincerely

can't tell if this is a serious post, but yes they're hip hop. Certain songs like Blood Creepin' and Beware sort of push the genre title but even some of their stranger songs like Inanimate Sensation are still undoubtably hip hop. Just listen to The Money Store, that's arguably their most "straight-forward" album.

I listen to post punk math rock bands like Damned Angles and XWX, there's no point in googling them because they only upload to a private source. I admit my music taste is a bit weird and probably unheard of around here, but it I acquired it over the years. Unlike people who listen to Death Grips, who usually just jumped upon the bandwagon and convince themselves they actually enjoy it.

Only kids like DG, and I'm not saying that as an insult, but more as a fact. I've spent a lot of time on the web researching modern music trends and how they gain traction, and I can proudly say that DG is a text book example of a phenomenon known as abstract Herd mentality.

So if you find yourself actually 'enjoying' this crap, then I suggest you try the following: Listen to your favourite DG song and try to actually identify what you like about the song, at first you won't be able to and you'll use the excuse that "there's too much" to pinpoint as good, however deep down you'll know that your lying to yourself.

Okay I'm done guys I don't fucking wanna do this anymore. Sick of all you retards and your awful asinine comments. Stock of these stupid fucking "memes" that are literally the tier zero of humor and just consist of repeating the same shit over and over again like a fucking baby. Stick of all you dumb fucks sending me shit messages trying to be funny.

I know that this will probably get a bunch of you stupid cunts replying to me calling me the "autistic" one for actually speaking up, because I genuinely want to have a discussion about something instead of being barraged with retarded responses that will no doubt have me reply to you about your stupid pointless comments.

>post punk
haha

who cares

This death grips guy is pretty ugly.

>it's another 'you just got tricked into thinking you like Death Grips' post

Not that I use critics' opinions to form my own, but have you tried watching a fucking review of their albums? Fantano is like 30 or some shit and he obviously gives them much praise and supports his opinion, so wouldn't your wannabe-copypasta argument be destroyed by a link to one of his videos reviewing them?

I really like how Death Grips' music kind of blurs the line between hiphop and other genres, like punk. That ambiguity lends an interesting dimension to their music. I've always been interested in hiphop hybrids but by and large, most attempts haven't been very good. But DG are one of the few groups to mesh together successfully in away that didn't sound gimmicky and altogether natural. I've heard people say there's a sort of heavy metal influence in there as well, which I'd love to hear more in their music. I've always enjoyed it most when they blurred together different genres together, like on ExM and JD.

>it's a bit more abstract with NOTM, GP, and JD
I've always felt like JD were more of their rock-oriented albums.

I would argue that they definitely started out as hip-hop, see the use of sampling and Ride's delivery, however it has been blurred recently with all the guitars.

experimental punk-hop

They make music but white hipsters love to put labels on shit despite the content

hip-hop is not defined by rapping

you can have rapping and still not have hip-hop, look at any given rapper's cameo in a top 40 hit, that isn't hip-hop and yet you still have rapping

>XWX, there's no point in googling them because they only upload to a private source.
so basically you are a pretentious hipster is what you're saying. I think you started off liking Death Grips until you found out they are rather popular

Most of their tracks entail some sort of rapped vocals (either explicitly rapped or presented in more abstract forms like NLDW/GP) over breaks inspired rhythms. Outside a couple exceptions here and there, this is most of their music.

The only this doesn't really count for at all is probably Jenny Death because of how big the noise rock influence is on that album (it also, unsurprisingly, had an actual guitar player and an actual organ player do the music as well.)

It's hard to tell because all of my friends that are actually into hip-hop (I'm not) utterly hate them every time I put them on

Death Grips...lol

The mental gymnastics of trying to justify why its "good" is hilarious. spergememe

I'm pretty sure that if their frontman was white they'd be classified somewhere in the power electronic or punk spectrum.

lol settle down they'd be fucking nu metal ffs

who cares? genres are just made up classifications anyway

I'm not really a regular listener but did they start incorporating guitars? Or similar sounds?

>b-but they blend genres! That makes them good!

I was really surprised when I first listened to Death Grips because I'd heard them described as Hip Hop heaps, albeit experimental/harsh Hip Hop. I may need to listen to more of them but honestly I can't say that for me they should be referred to as Hip Hop whatsoever, they share very little with the traditions and tropes of any of that music(not saying thats a bad thing).
If anything I would basically describe to them to people as almost like a new form of hardcore band like crossing nihilistic chaotic hardcore with hard industrial electronic production. They to me are much more like a methed up amalgamation of Black Flag and Nine Inch Nails than having anything to do with fucking A Tribe Called Quest or something.

I feel like the only reason people label death grips as hip hop is just because there is a black dude vocalising without much melody. Most people wouldnt even label Rage Against The Machine as HipHop and i would say they are closer to it than Death Grips. Theres definitely a big element of hip hop. Songs like "why a bitch gotta lie" and "ive seen footage" sound much more punk based to me than hiphop.

That depends on how you define hip hop.

No, nu-metal males are alpha has fuck. They take what they want to take and fuck what women they want to fuck. Just like country and hip hop musicians. And just like country and hip hop musicians, their music sucks

EDM with more vocals

Why do you fags always insist on autistically labeling everything? They're good music, they have elements of (industrial) hip hop, punk, noise rock and whatever the fuck else, why do you feel the need to pigeonhole them?

>They're good music

xd

it's spoken word

>They're good music
Kek