Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UODX_pYpVxk
youtube.com/watch?v=Aqp3Ic8iwWE
youtube.com/watch?v=vXZ21s71kDU.
youtube.com/watch?v=qs6F1KwzGwE
youtube.com/watch?v=g7WYEHZK5To
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N.E.E.T._Recordings
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

she meant 'I'm going to record the best pop album since The ArchAndroid and trick plebs into thinking it's bad by making the first 2 proper songs the worst on the album"

damn

>i meant to record the catchiest pop album on this planet ever made
>an album so catchy that puts beyonce and taylor to shame with their weak ass hooks

>You only like me when you think I'm looking sad

>im going to make an album that will annoy all hipsters that liked my previous work
>but this album must be secretly as good as the older work, if not better

pop music for hipsters

Nobody can explain why this album is supposed to be good. It's full of cheap textures, terrible guitar "playing", pedestrian lyrics and grating vocal acrobatics. Is it all just teens quickly drawn to an outlandish image?

plebs promoting shit as patrician so they don't look like plebs when they enjoy it.

its good because that. grimes is just an all in one package of what you mentioned.
AA isn't my fav album but it has some good album.

>Nobody can explain why this album is supposed to be good.
What about:
- great songs with memorable verses and choruses?
- diverse influences (alt rock, j-pop, k-pop, industrial, dreampop, dubstep, classical)?
- interesting vocals, with a lot of range (compare Easily with Kill V. Maim)?
- strong personality (there's not even one similar album to Art Angels)?
- very detailed and exciting production?
- nice lyrics?

Your turn.

>edgy avant teen pretending to hate pop music
or
>a rockist asshole pretending to hate pop music

Pick one.

i like pop music like this youtube.com/watch?v=UODX_pYpVxk
not grimes watered down version.

>Missy Elliot
Come on, that's as mainstream as it gets. Good, but for the masses. Grimes is too strong for you, her music is not watered down at all. Could you even handle SCREAM? youtube.com/watch?v=Aqp3Ic8iwWE

why would i listen to a water down noise track when i can listen to this youtube.com/watch?v=vXZ21s71kDU.

>first i don't like pop
>now i like too much pop
make up your mind kid.
heres some other pop music i like thats better than grimes
youtube.com/watch?v=qs6F1KwzGwE

>memorable verses or chorus
more like repetitive and grating.
>diverse influences (alt rock, j-pop, k-pop, industrial, dreampop, dubstep, classical)
The execution in all of this genres is done very poorly. The classical influences amount to an interlude. The rest is just a bunch of fancy words to describe reverby modern Dance Pop.
>strong personality (there's not even one similar album to Art Angels)
Wrong, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Kero Kero Bonito obviously do the same kind of stuff and are a lot better at it because they don't bother with the self-conscious masturbatory presentation.
>exciting production
flat bass, ugly synths
>nice lyrics
Grimes sucks ass as a lyricist and that's why she buried her vocals in reverb in the past. Belly of the Beat? Lmao fuck outta here son.

Ha, that track is not even pretending to be a purely noise track. It's like a hybrid of hip-hop, industrial and a hint of noise. Different category, dude.

>heres some other pop music i like thats better than grimes
I like Goldfrapp but you could have picked a better example. e.g. Utopia is better than Human. Grimes is also making synthpop with high pitched vocals, so I don't understand why did you call her music "shit" if you pretend to like Goldfrapp. Maybe you're just a snob. In any case, you're utterly wrong about Grimes.

>you don't like pop music
>you like too much pop music
>you are a snob
glad you change your opinion each reply!
> It's like a hybrid of hip-hop, industrial and a hint of noise.
MIA did that 200x better tho youtube.com/watch?v=g7WYEHZK5To

>Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Kero Kero Bonito obviously do the same kind of stuff and are a lot better at it because they don't bother with the self-conscious masturbatory presentation

Uh, they don't bother with self-conscious presentation? Surely you're just joking there.

Also, this most recent album wasn't reverb-y at all. I agree that those supposed influences listed were weakly implemented in some of those cases, but the 'cheap' sounds and textures to the production and what really amounts more to something like a hybrid shitty early 00s pop and late 90s - early 00s alt rock is probably what is most interesting about it. that said, those materials could have been worked with much more effectively and interestingly. I guess you just have to take the album for what it is, rather than what you imagine or prefer that it should have been.

Personally, I found her more interesting when her aesthetic idea was more like this melding of ethereal and certain post-noise aesthetics with stuff like Mariah Carey and TLC and lite Aphex influences and orientalisms. I respect she kept moving forward but it went more in this almost Disney-ish, Carley Rae Jempsen direction without exploiting the weirdness or plasticness of that idea but rather the weirdness now becoming more just this kind of low grade "arty girl" quirky thing in the mix

>memorable verses or chorus
>more like repetitive and grating.
You didn't even listen to the album! How the fuck the songs are repetitive when there are changes every single second? When a song like Kill V. Maim has 3 choruses in a row? When every song is different than the others?

>diverse influences (alt rock, j-pop, k-pop, industrial, dreampop, dubstep, classical)
>The execution in all of this genres is done very poorly. The classical influences amount to an interlude. The rest is just a bunch of fancy words to describe reverby modern Dance Pop.
That's just your opinion.

>strong personality (there's not even one similar album to Art Angels)
>Wrong, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Kero Kero Bonito obviously do the same kind of stuff and are a lot better at it because they don't bother with the self-conscious masturbatory presentation.
Same kind of music? WTF are you talking about? Name 1 KPP or KKB song similar to Scream, Venus Fly, Realiti, California, laughing and not being normal, Easily, Pin, Life in the Vivid Dream, to name a few.

>exciting production
>flat bass, ugly synths
(You)

>nice lyrics
>Grimes sucks ass as a lyricist and that's why she buried her vocals in reverb in the past.
(You) again.

>Belly of the Beat? Lmao fuck outta here son.
Get the hell out of here, cynical pleb. You just don't get the emotion from lyrics like:

[Verse 1]
I, I've been thinking, I've been thinking
I, I could leave the world today
Everybody dies, we anoint their eyes and we dance like angels do
Writing out your name, little shapes that feign some knowledge of you

[Chorus]
And you'll never get sad and you'll never get sick
And you'll never get weak
We're deep
In the belly of the beat, yeah!

Kid, you're too pleb to understand this album. Fact. You're embarrassing.

>MIA did that 200x better tho
(You). That song is lame, M.I.A. did better tunes than that.

MIA does better tunes than grimes in general
but that song (which i do enjoy u fucking pleb) did grimes scream years earlier and much better

kek u r so mad while presenting zero tangible arguments

Is grimes playing 4d chess?

i like this album. my only complaint is that its too short. i always get sad when it finishes. not really a fan of scream either, not being able to understand chinese and all.

>How the fuck the songs are repetitive when there are changes every single second?
What are the specific chord changes?

>MIA does better tunes than grimes in general
Nice b8

>but that song (which i do enjoy u fucking pleb) did grimes scream years earlier and much better
Are you serious? It sounds like a lame Sleigh Bells rehash. (Interestingly, Sleigh Bells were signed to her label.* Coincidence?) It's not even similar to Scream. Where are the actual screams??

* en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N.E.E.T._Recordings

>Where are the actual screams??
lol if you wanna go that route
than old grime grime ripped off kanye west - black skinhead.
and MIA is way better than grimes its not an subjective contest.
Sleigh bells also made much better music than grimes so thx for reminding me!

Sorry my writing is so jumbled here. There's a point sometimes where I'm too tired or distracted to bother focusing enough to organize my thoughts more as I'm writing, and one of my lazier voices takes over that's basically my California dialect from my younger years that's really jumbled and disorderly and run on and uses 'like' a lot. Where I used to live that was how you had to talk to actually get an idea across. That whole thing about a local dialect, in how it's like by saying it in that tone and syntax it suddenly makes sense to the listener but otherwise you're kind of alienating them. And a dialect rubs off on you over time.

at least M.I.A. can write lyrics that don't make me want to kill myself with their giddy cheesiness

Changes could mean anything. I meant small variations every second (every second there's something that holds the interest). And speaking of chord changes, Flesh Without Blood has 5 chord changes. 5 chord changes in a pop song!

you'll have a hard time understanding Grimes then, they don't even teach that

>Grimes fags literally amazed about a few production job details and guitar playing by someone who can't play power chords

>and MIA is way better than grimes its not an subjective contest.
That's why nobody gives a fuck about her these days? If we compare their latest outputs, AIM was her weakest album and Art Angels was universally praised. M.I.A.'s only gimmick (singing in a bland way over some noisy instrumental) got old fairly quick. Grimes is WAY more diverse, emotional and exciting. That's why many people are obsessed with her and love her so much.

>Sleigh bells also made much better music than grimes so thx for reminding me!
It seems that you prefer one trick ponies. I'm afraid you're just a pleb. Get some taste and listen to Grimes again, maybe you will be enlightened.

>That's why many people are obsessed with her and love her so much.
besides you on Sup Forums who else talks about grimes daily?
zoe camp a music writer talked about AA being the most forgetful praised album in a long time.
>It seems that you prefer one trick ponies.
i prefer listening a variety of music instead of worshiping on artist :)
its called not being close minded. check your ego kid it needs to die

LOL. M.I.A.'s lyrics are lame as fuck.

Immina immina thana thana
Ingana ingana giiina giiina
Matangi

[Verse 1]
Somalia Bosnia
Cuba Colombia
Ecuador Mexico
Bhutan Morocco
Botswana Ghana
India Serbia
Libya Lebanon
Gambia Namibia
Bali Mali
Chile Malawi
Bequia St Vincent
Trinidad and Norway
China Canada
U.S.A. U.K
Nepal Nigeria
Ethiopia North K. Myanmar Panama
Philippines Nicaragua
Palestine and Greece
Peru and France

What this crap even means to you? Want more examples?

I'm a parrot
I'm robin this joint
Not a lyre bird
Sure ain't a vulture
Don't swallow that cause I make the culture
I'm not a lyre bird, I'm not a lyre bird
Staying, staying rich like an ostrich
Love ain't a albatross hanging 'round ya neck
Drink a sparrow, love is food, take a peck
Let's go to Turkey, swift like a rail
Can't pigeon hole, I'm epic like a Zeus tail

Just some random words put together.

>quantity over quality. do people care about a single statement of wisdom over novel of needless elaboration? what's more forfilling? mine is bigger than yours

>Changes could mean anything
No, I am referencing the specific chord changes of a composition.
>Flesh Without Blood has 5 chord changes. 5 chord changes in a pop song!
5? Is that all? That's not much, even for pop.

are you being retarded on purpose?
shes referring to the world dumbass. do you even altruism?

i have no idea what's happening itt or why MIA and grimes are even being pitted against each other

arular, kala, visions, art angels are all fantastic albums tbqhhh

I'm a parrot
I'm robin this joint
Not a lyre bird
Sure ain't a vulture
Don't swallow that cause I make the culture
I'm not a lyre bird, I'm not a lyre bird
Staying, staying rich like an ostrich
Love ain't a albatross hanging 'round ya neck
Drink a sparrow, love is food, take a peck
Let's go to Turkey, swift like a rail
Can't pigeon hole, I'm epic like a Zeus tail

That's interesting as fuck, I think she's referencing Baudelaire and the dislocated condition of modern immigrants. Better than self-important caterwauling about your own public image like Grimes either way.

>i prefer listening a variety of music instead of worshiping on artist :)
Do you think I listen to Grimes every single day? That would dilute the power of her music. I'm listening to a wide range of music, from classical to mainstream pop.

>zoe camp a music writer talked about AA being the most forgetful praised album in a long time.
She doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

>besides you on Sup Forums who else talks about grimes daily?
Lots of people. Enough to sustain a general thread.

i wonder if the Art Angels still exist or if they're more like demons now

Just naming some locations on Earth is not enough to sustain such a grand idea, you dumb pleb. That's lazy as fuck. Anyone could take the atlas and start reciting random names. That doesn't mean these "lyrics" are even decent.

it doesn't matter user

your shitpost isn't obnoxious as fuck, like christ's need to cream a cunt

You didn't prove anything wrong from that list, so your post is not an argument. Better luck next time.

Everything posted ITT is utter crap. Stop deluding yourselves, dumbasses.

I'm going to make realiti, but then just fuck around on a guitar and whisper screams the rest of the time.

>>besides you on Sup Forums who else talks about grimes daily?
>Lots of people. Enough to sustain a general thread.

well it's mixture of insane and mentally retarded people who use Sup Forums in the first place. oh wait! her fanbase is... ugh... must... dicks...

>Grimes fags
>expecting to be taken seriously

>Flesh Without Blood has 5 chord changes. 5 chord changes in a pop song!
Good Vibrations has 13 chord changes

user, people sharing a common interest =/= mentally retarded people. Maybe you should take a deep look in the mirror before making such vile and stupid statements. Just sayin'

i said besides Sup Forums lmao

Good. Good Vibrations aimed for something different. And by the way, nice to see putting one of the best songs ever made against a recent pop song by a "mere" pop artist. You need heavy artillery against Grimes... ;)

(You)'re drunk honestly

You said "besides YOU on Sup Forums".

>Good Vibrations aimed for something different.
Yeah it aimed for being a good song.

>backpedalling

yeah you and the other grimes fan who make the same posts everyday.
shock you didnt spam the joanna post by now.
now who else on the internet talks about grimes daily
none of the critics do

i'm not no the one pedaling their shit

Lame argument. Both songs aimed to be good. And succeeded. Surprising to you, but it's possible to enjoy both songs.

grimes kind of rhymes with nigger

i only just noticed this

>now who else on the internet talks about grimes daily
Maybe not daily, but fairly often: Youtube comments. PopJustice forums, ilxor forums, r/grimes etc. I didn't dig deeper. That's why I'm posting on Sup Forums because there are many fans willing to discuss her.

Except one is compositionally repetitive, the other isn't.

Can you guess which one?

fair enough

>implying repetition = bad
Tell that to TVU, Eno, Stereolab and Kraftwerk.

As lame that may sound, I just want to discuss her.

Goalpost shifting

Answer the question

Fuck off with (((Grimes)))

We know your're shills not simple waifu faggots

>Don't swallow
She's out.

get a haircut

she has a point there

grimes' fanbase is a prime example of that hipster mentality gone awry. an artist shows a clear progression in melodic, engaing songwriting and people bitch because it is less sonically opaque than visions.

she's always talked about how she loves madonna and bieber in interviews so it's pretty ovbious her love for pop music is genuine. and the irony is she's far more talented than some of the people she worships anyway, beibs and madonna are entirely products of whatever producer they were working with at the time

besides anything else, if AA is a sellout then it hasn't exactly worked has it? she certainly isn't making the big bucks. it's just a group of wankers opposed to a certain aesthetic

Good Vibrations

You fool no one.

Your a paid shill

>We know your're shills not simple waifu faggots
Is it possible that Grimesfags are actually bots created by Grimes' label that constantly makes threads and replies to them? That would explain why all the discussion is inane and repeats the same ideas and phrases, and when you confront a Grimesfag they respond in a neutral and nonconfrontational way that never truly addresses any Grimes criticism, as if it's a pre-written script.

This. Great post, user.

She's a fucking fraud.

>muh grammys racism

FUCK OFF SHILLS WE DON'T WANT YOUR GARBAGE (((POP STARS)))

You need to chill down immediately, you delusional clown.

>The haters and trolls have a really hard time when it comes to Grimes. It's very hard to attack her. Leaving aside that "be nice to Grimes" mantra, how could you attack an authentic artist that got huge acclaim from the whole music world, an artist respected my many of her fellow artists, an artist known for her infinite creativity? Just lame personal attacks related to her look (despite the fact she featured in multiple fashion magazines) and personality (despite the fact she donated money for charity, caring about environment and her fans). That's why they're so pissed off irl all the time: desperation and envy. Desperation and envy.

Fuck off. user is right. Grimes is an industry fraud. And these threads are made by paid shill. EVERY DAY.

Fuck off.

You aren't fooling anyone.

Grimes is no different than Beyonce.

>pre-written script in response to queries

shes an industry plant right guys xD

>paid shill
Every time I see this shit, I know some faggot got triggered.

she is a fraud actually

She herself is not a fraud but these threads just might be

She definitely is. Literally no one with a half of brain or an ounce of integrity believes in the

>muh grammys racism

bullshit. That sellout Grimes played herself.

>>muh grammys racism
I don't know you are referencing here but I mean I'm sure she makes music herself and releases it and tours.

Anything past that, seems to be fraudulent hype, possibly created by bots posting continuously here for years.

how much money does grimes pay her shills?