My cats freak out when I cut their nails. Any pro tips from cat anons?

My cats freak out when I cut their nails. Any pro tips from cat anons?

let a vet do it or don't be a pussy

I don't think you are supposed to cut their nails, I don't have a cat
But I heard they make cool noises when they are put in a microwave for 2 minutes on full power

usually cat claws do not need a cut.
they have a scratch tree and that's all they need.

I would start by drawing a nice warm bath. First introduce the cat into the tub and allow him to rest there. Once the cat is relaxed begin by holding it's head underwater for a bit... about 5 minutes will do. they love the white noise that is heard underwater, and will become quite relaxed. once they have gotten to the point of not moving you can begin cutting the nails.

you just dont

fucking americans i swear to god

Cats can be trained just like dogs. After you cut their nails you should reward them with something they enjoy. I give my cat some canned tuna each time I do his monthly claw trimming and hair brushing. He loves it. After two or three times the animals will make the connection between the discomfort and the treats. That discomfort will be replaced by the anticipation of the reward because they're simple minded.

put a choke chain or belt or noose around it's neck

the more it struggles the more pain
it'll learn fast

That and smack it hard on the nose.

this guy is a vet. trust him

You CAN cut a cat's nails, and it does actually help to reduce damage from clawing furniture, or the random swipe at a kid :)

What I do is hold the cat in my lap, with my left arm wrapped around the cat, holding one of it's front paws. (I'm right-handed). Then use right hand to clip nails as you squeeze the paw (gently) to push the nail out.

If he struggles, wait, but do NOT reduce pressure on the cat with your left arm.

My cat is pretty good with it, but I started him early. And he's deathly afraid of me if I get angry. So he generally just sits still until I do it.

He's only afraid of me because I use a very deep loud voice to yell at him when he's doing something bad. No physical harm done.

I think I'd do better by starting a scrub if winded cut with dilute bleach or maybe the scour pads for cast iron.

Sometimes it's not enough. My cat scratches her claws on front paws, but the ones on the rear paws need trimming.

>Cats can be trained just like dogs.
I tried, they can't.

>After you cut their nails you should reward them with something they enjoy.
I do that, but it doesn't help. That's a weak reinforcement even for a dog, because you give it *after* the procedure, so you are not actually reinforcing calm behaviour, you just reassure the cat that when the procedure is over everything is fine again. Well no shit, the cat knows that already.

>Well no shit, the cat knows that already
Cats are too smart for their own good

If you're in for a fight, it sometimes helps to wrap them up in a large towel, with only the paw you're working on sticking out.

1) kill your cat
2) get a dog

Yeah, don't clip their nails. that's fucking gay.

Stop putting your thumb up their butt.

1) kill your dog
2) get a cat

What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you think it's a dog or something as retarded as you? All that would accomplish is having a cat that fucking hates you for life, you scrub.

Those should be 3 and 4, and then 5) start over.

Some of you niggers can barely take care of yourselves, let alone a pet.

how do you know

lol

You shouldn't have to cut their nails
Invest in a scratching post/board or put them outside for a few hours daily
Or, you know, drug them with etizolam or xanax

Make a habit of massaging your cat's paws calmly. They will grow to like it.

You have to trick them, and use regular nail cutters, not pet ones. You cant do them all at once, but go for the thumbnails first, they're the ones that really hook into your skin.

this

Get one of these, much quicker

Just let them have their claws, ffs. They don't have thumbs. They use their claws to grasp and manipulate objects. It would be like someone tying your thumb to your palm. They don't like it. They need their claws to feel at peace.

Fuck your couches and love seats and shit your plastic disposable bitches. A cat is actually alive. Who gives a fuck about your couch's resale value.

>I'm a dumb retard who doesn't know shit about animals
Okay.

do you really need to clip the nails? my cat is 18 years old and we never clipped her nails. are we supposed to be doing this? srs question

You are a fucking idiot.

dude My family and I have had cats our entire family tree. For generations. Decades and decades and our cats die fat and old, resting inside, and I have never so much as considered getting their nails trimmed.

MAYBE if you've got some kind of cat with a serious medical problem, but I wouldn't know about that, because all our cats are healthy and have lived their whole life with their claws.

It's nothing but manipulating them as a selling point to people worried about their furniture. It's a selling point for the humans, not for the cat.

If you don't hear the nails tapping when the cat walks then you don't. Some cats don't scratch the claws enough and then you need to trim them, also outdoor cats usually don't have this problem.

You're a fucking idiot. Some cats need it and if you don't do it the nails will grow into the cat's skin and cause very serious problems.

Yeah, and some people need fucking brain surgery. Have you ever had it? Just because some tiny minority of sick people need a medical procedure doesn't mean it's just the fucking "healthy choice" you dingus.

It's not some rare medical condition you dumbfuck.

Yeah, it is, healthy cats don't have that problem. clipping cat's nails is NOT the fucking norm.

wrap them in towels so they don't squirm
feed them treats

cool thanks, we have one of those scratchpoles and i'm assuming when they scratch it they work their nails, never really thought about it like that and thought cats just liked to do that lol.

thanks for answering boyz

It's like 10-20 bucks at a pet store that offers grooming. It lasts 3 months or more. Worth it for cats happiness and damage reduction.