Other urls found in this thread:

unbornprod.bandcamp.com/album/mourning
mega.nz/#!GhQnhKzR!LzgGYfFi9RFuEwxi54d1SeMPI_QLZB5lfFkOxLPO--4
youtube.com/watch?v=kHRQVLGyqZA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not sure if I can trust this, opinions?

OP is the dungeon
good shit my dude

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what dungeon synth specifically is? This is the first I've heard of it. Are there typically vocals, and if so what style of vocals?

Very synth/midi based music with a dark/medieval flair. Think 80's-90's wrpg music.

Imagine medieval music written for synth + MIDI. If you've ever played a PS1-Era RPG you'll probably dig it.

99/100 is instrumental

Dungeon synth is an ambient genre with tons of elements of medieval fantasy culture in it. It became something when people started making tapes of synthesizer music in the 90s (especially in black metal music) and it never hit the underground or mainstream field. It is not underground, it is dungeon. There is a shitton of melodic stuff but also a shitton of rythmic stuff. If you know the elder scrolls daggerfall soundtrack, that is an example of Dungeon synth.

-OP

I'm about half way through The Forges Fire. Very interesting. It really does remind of old school fantasy games. This one comes to mind in particular.

The instrumentation seems very simple. Is most of the genre also like this?

thanks OP for this

i'm enjoying Lord Lovidicus The Forges Fire

TL;DR
Yes

Most of the time it is, you can add different synthesizers, effects and even arpeggios to it. Obviously you have to keep the sound simple since it is not some yngwie malmsteen shit. It is made for people who enjoy visualising music or listen to high tier simplistic stuff.

>Is most of the genre also like this?
Yes, the simplicity of instruments is a hallmark of the genre. It's supposed to sound medieval, so the instrumentation isn't going to be this huge polyphonic mess.

>Nothing by Mortiis, the inventor of Dungeon synth
Gr8 chart fag

Makes sense.
I appreciate the info guys. I'll definitely be checking out more of these albums in the future.

defiitely give this album a listen

Not every inventor of every genre is a good starting point, this chart is only worth using if you are new.

Eh, one of his '94 albums are the only one I can get into. A lot of stuff that came later is better. I'm not surprised by the lack of Hedge Wizard.

unbornprod.bandcamp.com/album/mourning

Anyone has a link? (320 kbps)

I'll put my bandcamp downloader online soon senpai.

I am not willig to pay almost five euros when i already own the vinyl. Thank you user-san.

mega.nz/#!GhQnhKzR!LzgGYfFi9RFuEwxi54d1SeMPI_QLZB5lfFkOxLPO--4

youtube.com/watch?v=kHRQVLGyqZA

Is it limited to 128 kbps?

not sure, it has no clipping from what I know

Thank you, OP. I bought the Verminaard album and think it's superb. One of these albums to put on while reading a book in public transport.

>no depressive silence

Dungeon synth is not a real genre

WAAAAAAAAAAY UNDERRATED