ITT: albums that (surprisingly) took a few listens to click

ITT: albums that (surprisingly) took a few listens to click.

At first, I just thought it was some solid rock music. But after the third listen, boy howdy, it just got deep into my soul, brotha. Robert Pollard's voice is so goddamn appealing.

Also, to any of the more hardcore GBV fans, who is singing on The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory? I really like the vocals on that track.

big fat bump

can someone explain lo-fi to me

In the first part of Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory, it's just Pollard

In the second part it's Pollard and Tobin Sprout.

Wait shit sorry
I actually think the second part is just Robert Pollard on 2 vocal tracks. My bad.

since the late 2000s it's the indie-equivalent of autotune. an aesthetic gimmick to hide your shitty songs.
gbv writes good toons tho.

so it was only authentic when indie bands had no funding for high production techniques, but the influence of it has since become a gimmick?

how does this justify modern noise rock/black metal with intentionally poor production

idk about authenticity, i get and dig the lo-fi sound. i'm sure some bands even back then used the aesthetic to hide their shit songs. but earlier waves tend to have more quality they tend to be more uncorrupted. there are some decent modern lo-fi indie acts but it's predominantly shit.

as for modern noise rock/black metal idk i haven't heard much but the lo-fi aesthetic tends to allow more room for shitty songs.

if it's not for authenticity then even the "good" 90s bands were just using it as a gimmick too then, right? i mean they had the choice to record at lower volumes and use the money they saved on amps for microphones...

Almost every 90s indie bands didn't had enough money to buy good equipment, so they just recorded their songs in the most economic way.

It really contributes to the GBV warm atmosphere desu.

PARALLEL LINES ON A SLOW DECLINE
TRACTOR RAPE CHAIN

it's an aesthetic sound. i dont know why you're bringing authenticity into this.
gimmick is also irrelevant and more like a guitarist playing a guitar upside down for the sake of it.
no idea what you're talking about with recording at lower volumes and saving money do you know how lo-fi stuff is recorded?

in a way that sounds bad?

At first I thought this was just a chill indie rock album.
Then I listened to it running outside on a hill, the warm sunrays shinning shyly on me, and it really fucking clicked.
This album is so peaceful and well produced, I feel so alive yet disconnected when listening to it.

Your album still hasn't clicked on me though, even though I love pavement and it was recommended many times to me. I'll give it another try.

sounds good to me.

if you like pavement listen to the fall before GBV again

GBV sounds nothing like pavement or the fall

Which album of The Fall would you recommend ?

This band was a huge influence for At the Drive In

exactly. that's why i recommended the fall to a fan of pavement

this album composes noise so well

hex enduction hour and

Ah, my bad. Great taste, user

you're welcome

why does such a musical genius have to make such shitty music.

yo la tengo