Why hasn't a football team had the courage to eliminate the run game and run empty backfield every play?

why hasn't a football team had the courage to eliminate the run game and run empty backfield every play?

it is the most efficient set in football. passing averages more yards per attempt than running, even in bad QBs. the complete spread of the formation makes it far easier to read defenses and less likely the QB will get sacked. QB runs also generally average more yards per attempt than RB runs.

the only risk is the QB getting hurt from more usage, but without the need to keep 3-4 RBs, a FB, and TEs for run blocking the on the roster, a team could carry 4 to 6 QBs for the season in case of injury.

if i'm a really shit team with no chance of being good anyway, i'd try it to make the season more entertaining

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense#Disadvantages_of_the_Run_.26_Shoot
smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cause then they would drop 8 guys into coverage and no one would be able to get open.

Stop and think about it for a second user.

It's like asking why don't NBA teams just have guy shoot 3's all game and nothing else.

>lol ok we'll just drop everyone but the dline

ummm....

>why don't NBA teams just have guy shoot 3's all game and nothing else.

They shoot more than 3's even if they're chucking. I mean literally nothing but 3's.

soon friend soon

I could see it working with an elite dual threat QB, but I haven't seen a true talent like that since Michael Vick or Vince Young.

No, scrambling QBs don't count

mein fuhrer... steiner...

Avg yards per rush: 4.0
Avg yards per incomplete pass: 0.0

QBs would get tricked by zone coverages more often, since defense don't have to play the run now, the DC can focus on the passer. Also, bad QBs can't find the open receiver in man to man. No run means 6-8 defensive players dropping into zones or having man + zone + a possible spy.

It could work for elite QBs like Rodgers/Brady, but it won't even happen for the 32 teams unless something really fucked up happens to the league.

Faggot.

3 defensive linemen
8 defensive backs

vs.

5 receivers

8 > 5.

Even if the defense put a QB spy it would still be 7 DBs vs 5 receivers.

Running one offensive set is retarded and predictable.

This desu

Only 5 guys left to defend the QB, so if they blitz 6 they get a free runner so QB has maybe 2 seconds to throw the ball after the snap. If he panics it's an int. Pretty easy to defend, especially when you can disguise coverage to throw even the most experienced QBs off guard.

Who is Cam Newton?

>3 blitzers vs 5 linemen is a good idea
>literally no pressure on QB so they can take all their time to find someone open or sceamble

Wow you guys should call plays for the Packers.

>scrambling

He's just huge and hard to take down.

What is texas tech couple years back

and Russell Wilson?

And look hpw that turned out

Who?

Because the Texans' and other similar teams' D line would literally destroy the QB, and rushing the QB leads to bad throws and picks.

you can have pass rushers in every down and your qb takes a beating. the pats can never run the ball and brady often throws outs and hitches 3/4 of the snaps and they win, incredibly impressive

J.J. Watt & Von Miller will eat your QB alive.
Passing plays need time to develop.

I wanna see a trick play where the O line runs past the defense and poses as eligible receivers, leaving the QB about three seconds to throw it to someone

imagine the chaos

Receivers would be exhausted

Thats... not how eligible receivers work..

>going to set the all time qb rushing tds record so high noone will come close to half as many
>not an elite dual threat qb

Ineligible player down field

You'd lose to a team from Cleveland? Hate to be that team who losses to the Browns in the owl

Why don't teams stop punting entirely?

lineman can be eligible twats
tackles have done this before

Yes, but the entire O Line can't run down the field. And even if they tried to line up in a way that would make them eligable, it would just be an illegal formation.

You dense mother fucker

ahh didnt see that the whole o-line was running down field kek

Why don't teams stop passing entirely and run the football every play? Run it right up the middle.

My point is he's not really a scrambler, he's just huge. I've seen defenders get out that nigga's way when he starts to run.

Still runs a 4.5 40. Cam is the the only guy who can maintain this style of play so the size thing just helps his argument. Just admit Cam is an elite dual threat qb you doofus

He's not elusive or swift. So nah.

Not an argument.

Cam and Russel go to bed. Holy shit.

>not elusive
>not swift

4.5 is a great 40 for a quarterback you faggot. just admit that scram isn't that bad

He doesn't have to be "elusive" or "swift" when he's fast and trucks linebackers on the regular, dumbass.

That's like saying players like Marshawn Lynch, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson and Jim Brown weren't elite because they were good at running over people.

>Who?

Hahahaha. You're a funny guy.

>qb has a bad day
>it's pouring rain
>it's snowing
>defense isn't complete trash
pick 4 things that could happen and make your meme offense useless

The Patriots have done this a few times. But only because they have Brady who is the only qb other than maybe Rodgers who could effectively run it.
Check out the second half of the Ravens' game from the Patriot's most recent Super Bowl run. Brady does nothing but throw and it fucking works beautifully.

Its stupidity like this that keeps me coming back to Sup Forums
Loving every laugh

So Georgia Tech?

lol try running that offense against the Shithawks, Steelers, or Panthers

t. Bostonfag

3 can get there. It's happens all the time with the losing team on the last play of the game. The team that's up drops 8 in deep coverage, and the QB waits and waits until he gets sacked even though there are only 3 rushing.

this should've been the OP

Already been tried.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense#Disadvantages_of_the_Run_.26_Shoot

I wish the whole world played handegg so we could see a variety of tactics. I bet the Japs would try some mad shit like this. The NFL coaches just copy each other and its rare to see a true innovator.

Lets see, where to begin on this one. 5 receivers means five separate routes for the quarterback to handle. That means reading 5 sets of coverage, and increasing a passing progression to five receivers. For it to be run on a consistent basis, you would need an elite offensive line that would be able to give the qb the time to make these throws on every down, and if you are consistently throwing out of this formation, the defense will drop more receivers into coverage, which means your qb will have to wait even longer for routes to develop, putting more time on your o-line to stop the pass rush. And on top of all that, your wr would get worn out from running up and down the field every single play. Not only does this cause serious issues in health and stamina, but in the terms of the game, it is not beneficial in every situation.

A large part of football is controlling the pace and clock of the game. This means running plays to burn out the clock when you want to preserve the lead, or give your defense a longer break on the sidelines. If you throw three straight incompletions, then you are off the field much quicker and gave little to no resting time for your defense. If you are trying to preserve a lead late in the game, and want to run out the clock, incomplete passes would be detrimental to you, as they would be stopping the clock.

Not only that, but 5 wide sets are some of the worst formations for short yardage situations. If you have a 3rd and one, why risk throwing it deep and causing an incompletion when your RB just has to get the ball and fall forward? Or how about when you are in the red zone? The amount of space and holes in the defense shortens when you are close to the goal line, which is a main reason why passing plays aren't called to often in goal line situations. There just isn't enough space to work with.

5 wr sets are inefficient in the long run due to their inability to establish tempo or control the pace and stamina of the game

There's other things team could do. I know it might sound dumb but there's a high school team in Arkansas that produces D1 kids all the time, and they're known for never punting, they always go for it on fourth. They also always do an onside kick, and they go pretty up tempo. Pulaski Academy in Little Rock. It's a cool way of doing things and I wish the NFL and college would do more like that.

This thread brought to you by Mike Leach

if you throw on literally every play, then the chance of throwing an interception also rises. so does the chance of your wr getting lit up.

they still do this to this day and "running" plays are simply screens and quick slants

t. current Tech student

smartfootball.com/offense/the-air-raid-offense-history-evolution-weirdness-from-mumme-to-leach-to-franklin-to-holgorsen-and-beyond

what if i told you this is already a thing.

It makes it easy to read an offense. Que the exotic blitzes & exotic defensive match ups.

I mean maybe if you could run the reverse with quality efficiency & ha Tom Brady at QB reading said defense then...

Agreed desu

I'm sorry to hear that