Now that the dust has settled can we agree this had 2 good songs max

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OIr1XwLjm94
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

2 songs min

12 max

The whole album is great

Nah, I like all the songs

Floridada, Lying in the Grass and On Delay are my favorites btw. Burglers, Bagels in Kiev and Golden Gal are also great.

floridada was my fav single of last year. not a fan of the rest tho. Deak's album was better. Excited for this Friday.

>Animal Collective song
>not good
pick one and only one

nah it was just a solid 6/10

i dont blame them for it, i couldnt make anywhere near as much great content as them over the span of 15 years

Why don't we shine a light on the fact that the dust isn't settled and won't be until a Scaruffi review.

Floridada, Hocus Pocus, Vertical, Lying In The Grass, The Burglars and Golden Gal are all great

Every song except Spilling Guts and Summing the Wretch is good

Floridada
Vertical
Burglars
Bagels
Golden Gal

That's five GREAT songs op

>not liking SPILLING GUTS SPILLING GUTS SPILLING GUTS SPILLING GUTS

it has substantially more good songs than bad
floridada and golden gal aren't even top 5

two of the best on the album desu
golden gal a shit

Natural Selection is the only mediocre song and it's not even bad. This album is just as great as all their others.

why are there like 15 different versions of this album cover

there are 3 and then some fan made ones

Bagels in Kiev is glorious

Honestly, Painting With is probably the most patrician AnCo album.

Total pleb filter.

every opinion anyone could ever have on this album has been said already 1,000 times over, so could someone just give me a link to jimmy mack?

/thread

listen to the live versions of Summing The Wretch from their bandcamp

i agreed with you until i heard those

Oh shit, I had no idea they had officially released some shows from the latest tour.

it's from the early leg of it which isn't as good. but i still prefer the entire Ritz show to the new album

How about that new song though

The fundamental problem with Painting With is that Animal Collective forgot how to write a melody. Not even like a catchy chorus or anything, just anything musically interesting. If you were to graph their songs to sheet music, a fourth grader could flawlessly sight read it on the recorder. There's no complexity or nuance like in previous albums. Just repeating quarter notes and a complete lack of chord progression. I'm not trying to sound like a pompous asshole, I'm just preaching the truth. Strawberry Jam era AnCo had some godlike rhythms, melodies, and harmonies. Some of their best material was truly out of this world and incredibly innovative.

I disagree with talking heads like Fantano who claim the Painting With's overall "sound" isn't as interesting or dense as previous AnCo entries. The flavor and vibe of Painting With is quite good. The contrast between the dense basslines and high pitched effects glittered over the production is awesome. Unfortunately, AnCo didn't do anything forward thinking with it. Painting With doesn't have an Alvin Row. It doesn't have a Brothersport. It doesn't have a Cuckoo Cuckoo or We Tigers or Purple Bottle. There isn't a single song on Painting With that pushes the album's ideas and concepts to their limits. Which is a damn shame, because the potential is there. Animal Collective is just creatively bankrupt.

Listening to these live versions just tells me that the only mistake the band made with PW is not touring the material first like all their previous albums. These live versions are killer and way more in depth...most are like double the length of the album versions

it was the song I had the highest expectations for from the Amazon snippet leak (other than The Burglars) but they really didn't do anything with it. it's the song I feel like was totally neutered by the short track lengths they went for with the album (though at the same time they still could have done much more in what little time they ended up giving it.)
it's like you didn't listen to the album. The Burglars by itself refutes everything you've said in your post, it's honestly PW's Brother Sport

What else do I listen to if I only like Strawberry Jam and Centipede HZ?

what AnCo albums have you listened to?

Strawberry Jam
Centipede Hz
Sung Tongs

try Feels, People, and Sleep Cycle afterwards if you like the rock-ish aspects of Strawberry Jam and MPP + Fall Be Kind if you like the poppier aspects and vocal harmonies (specifically tracks like Chores and Derek since those were written by Panda Bear, who has a much larger role in MPP than most AnCo releases.) maybe try Panda's solo work like Person Pitch as well.
the closest stuff to Centipede Hz (other than the accompanying singles) would be Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks and stuff like ODDSAC and Transverse Temporal Gyrus if you like the more electronic side of the album.
that being said, every AnCo album is very different so nothing will really be like anything else. I'd say it's worth trying them all at least once just due to that. also make sure not to miss singles and EPs. for example, the Peacebone single has Safer (which some consider one of the best songs of the Strawberry Jam era) as a B-Side.

oh, fuck, how could I forget to mention Water Curses. if you like Strawberry Jam, water curses is four more songs in that general style.

Options on Jimmy Mack?

***NEW SONG****

fuckin nice

Painting With was at least an 8/10
I'll never understand the hate for it

PW wasn't MPP, but not many albums are. What I like about Animal Collective is each of their albums are unique and have their own vibe. While PW didn't have complex vocal harmonies in counterpoint like Guy's Eyes (if you really want to get pretentious about it), it was a solid album that blended weird sounds and strange samples with great vocal melodies. It wasn't some masterpiece of an album, but it was good nonetheless.

It goes to show how great of a band they are when Painting With is considered shit. If it wasn't an AnCo album and instead some indie artists, Sup Forums would jizz themselves over it.

Wow I didn't think there was going to be a worse song than Kinda Bonkers, but there ya go.

I like most of their music but this song straight up sucks.

are we listening to the same song? this sounds like the best thing to come out of the pw era

I count 4 good songs OP

>Floridada
>Lying in the Grass
>The Burglars
>Golden Gal

>singles + one of the most popular tracks
bandwagoning underage confirmed

holy shit, they really hit that out of the park
this EP is shaping up to blow PW as a whole out of the water, and PW was a pretty good album

Fuck you idiot. PW is shit

bad taste detected

On Delay
Golden Gal

Floridada

random stomach-able moments

/album